Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

hope and vaseline posted:

I'm reading Duggan's GotG run and it looks like the nova corps has been re-established at this point. I'm a little hazy on his cancerverse return, did that happen in the Sam Alexander series?

Yeah, I don't know the details but he came back while Sam still had a book and they teamed up a couple times.

Now I just want a slice of life book that's just the Summers moon place and Dick Rider, Pete Quill and Gamora being neighbors.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

hope and vaseline posted:

I'm reading Duggan's GotG run and it looks like the nova corps has been re-established at this point. I'm a little hazy on his cancerverse return, did that happen in the Sam Alexander series?

Yeah, it did. He became a walking portal to the Cancerverse for a bit but Sam and a cosmic cube solved that.

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

Earth-1145 is truly the best!
A world of singing, magic frogs,
high adventure, no shitposters

Raserys posted:

Are the other New Warriors still dead right now? Like, where has Justice been during the Krakoa era?

For what it's worth, the New Warriors team that died at the outset of the Civil War event were just Speedball, Namorita, Night Thrasher, and Microbe. Nova and Debrii were part of the team in the mini-series the year prior, but Nova was off in Annihilation, and Debrii just wasn't there I guess?
Justice & Speeball: Last appeared in any meaningful way in the "Outlawed" storyline as mentioned, later appeared in big fight scenes, most recently in the Reckoning War in Slott's FF run. Speedball got over all of his Penance stuff and is 'fixed' in terms of both powers and mental health, as much as any serialized character can be.
Night Thrasher: Killed in Civil War #1, eventually revealed to have been teleported out of the explosion and alive and working unwillingly for The Collector in Al Ewing's Contest of Champions. Hasn't really done much since then, but is active in New York City and last seen in... The Reckoning War!
Namorita: Killed in Civil War #1. Still dead from all accounts. An alternate universe Namorita appeared at the tail end of the Abnett/Lanning Nova run and then disappeared after that, but in the past five years Namorita just sort of shows up in group fights/parties so maybe it's the alternate universe one?
Microbe: Killed in Civil War #1. Still dead and mostly forgotten.

As for other NW adjacent characters:

Nova Corps: Restarted in Duggan's GoTG run, infiltrated by the Raptors and almost destroyed in the same run, then wiped out mostly off-panel by the Universal Church of Truth in Donny Cates's run. Richard Rider was the only survivor.
Rage: In Nick Spencer's Captain America, Rage was protesting the racist Americops, and Sam Wilson got him to agree to keep his protests peaceful. Then he was framed for a robbery by the racist Americops, beaten, and arrested. He wanted to go through the justice system rather than be bailed out by the Avengers. He was exonerated but still convicted on a technicality because of a racist judge. Once convicted, he was beaten into a coma by the Americops.

Off-panel with no real explanation, he got out of his coma and released from prison, then immediately eaten by a Poison symbiote, killing him. Shows up alive in Annihilation: Scourge, then again in TNC's Black Panther and the most recent She-Hulk book. His only dialogue in any post-resurrection(?) comics is him briefly arguing with Speed Demon over who drank all of the coffee.

It's also worth noting that through all of the stories laid out above, Rage should canonically be like 14-15 years old.

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Utility is seven-eighths Proximity.

Wasn't the whole point of the resurrection thing so that future stories can bring back dead characters by just saying "oh yeah they got resurrected when the X-Men were doing that whole thing, it just happened off panel"

Sephyr
Aug 28, 2012
Was reading some tweets about new X-fare being too aggressively political, and remembering that when I started reading it one of the main antagonist factions was just called THE RIGHT, and the Contra scandal was directly referenced more than once.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Sephyr posted:

Was reading some tweets about new X-fare being too aggressively political, and remembering that when I started reading it one of the main antagonist factions was just called THE RIGHT, and the Contra scandal was directly referenced more than once.

People who complain about that are just morons. Also I assume people were probably mad about Cap's speech in the newest Uncanny Avengers and it's like, do you know who Captain America even is.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Codependent Poster posted:

People who complain about that are just morons. Also I assume people were probably mad about Cap's speech in the newest Uncanny Avengers and it's like, do you know who Captain America even is.

Early Superman's main targets were people like landlords, corrupt cops, prison wardens and the like. We can do the astronaut 'always was' to the question 'when did comics start being political.'

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Edge & Christian posted:

It's also worth noting that through all of the stories laid out above, Rage should canonically be like 14-15 years old.

A 14 year old black kid getting wrongfully convicted of a crime by a racist judicial system, then sent to an adult prison prison where they are beaten into a coma by prison guards is pretty realistic to be honest.

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

Gravitas Shortfall posted:

Wasn't the whole point of the resurrection thing so that future stories can bring back dead characters by just saying "oh yeah they got resurrected when the X-Men were doing that whole thing, it just happened off panel"
It was (with a brief window to the contrary) explicitly a resurrection circuit for mutants only. Most of the New Warriors (aside from Firestar, Justice, and technically Namorita though she's rarely/never treated as one) are mutants. Also both of Rage's apparent deaths/resurrections happened prior to the Krakoa era.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Edge & Christian posted:

It was (with a brief window to the contrary) explicitly a resurrection circuit for mutants only. Most of the New Warriors (aside from Firestar, Justice, and technically Namorita though she's rarely/never treated as one) are mutants. Also both of Rage's apparent deaths/resurrections happened prior to the Krakoa era.

It would have made political sense to bring back Namorita though, just because it would be nice to have Namor as a political ally and I remember him being loving pissed about her death during Civil War.

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

Air Skwirl posted:

A 14 year old black kid getting wrongfully convicted of a crime by a racist judicial system, then sent to an adult prison prison where they are beaten into a coma by prison guards is pretty realistic to be honest.
I mean yes, bad people in real life do lots of bad stuff, I should have been clear it is less "I wonder if a caricature of a cartoonishly racist organization* would do something racist and evil?" and more that

a) I'm reasonably sure Spencer and anyone who's used Rage in the past decade+ even remembers that he's supposed to be a Shazam/Captain Marvel situation where he's a small child-appearing child who transforms into a giant muscle man. If you want to do a police brutality story you'd think that could easily be played up but instead he's just constantly a brolic adult guy being treated by all characters as a brolic adult guy.
b) Through the lens of "Rage is a young teen character, not an adult" the level of awful things his character is put through is extra rough.

I'm also not sure if the best way to tell a story about systemic inequity and overpolicing and etc. is to do a lazy subplot that involves privately funded android Judge Dredds going around and just randomly arresting and beating the poo poo out of people and then ignoring any evidence (including explicit eyewitness/video footage of them randomly assaulting people not committing crimes) and then having them all get murdered in jail and all of it is because secret Nazis were pulling all of the strings and everyone (non-Nazi politicians, activists, literal superheroes) sort of shaking their head and going "I guess this stuff just happens, this is America, I guess every facet of our society is infiltrated by Hydra Nazis, not much we can do, makes u think."

Air Skwirl posted:

It would have made political sense to bring back Namorita though, just because it would be nice to have Namor as a political ally and I remember him being loving pissed about her death during Civil War.
It would make political sense, but from all evidence they did not bring her back, and I don't think Namor has mentioned Namorita in over a decade. I also honestly have lost track of what Namor has been up to in the past five years, but he's spent a decent portion of it mind-controlled by various malign powers and deposed as the King of Atlantis and an Enemy of the State both on and off land so his hypothetical political value if they were to hypothetically resurrect Namorita is also questionable.

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand
Welp, speaking of those New Warriors:

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

"Why is X-Men so woke?"

Asked someone about a comic book that's been for like 50 years about a very diversified, marginalized faction of society and half of that time being written as a metaphor for minorities people don't like.

Gee, I dunno. :shrug:

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

"Why is there so many gay people in the X-Men?" asked someone about a comic book whose tagline has always been "protecting a world that hates and fear them".

Truly, the mind boggles.

Parallax
Jan 14, 2006

people don't notice political allusions because they're children and then they grow up and notice them and think it's a new occurrence and also these people are stupid and why even give them the time of day

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

Parallax posted:

people don't notice political allusions because they're children and then they grow up and notice them and think it's a new occurrence and also these people are stupid and why even give them the time of day

The past decade or so of talking about media on the internet has primarily been about paying way more attention to what the people you hate think about something than anything else

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007

it must be unsettling to medically torture someone who constantly thanks you for your service

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

Thank you for loving Pupkin

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

I know it's probably part of her costume design, but it looks like Firestar has little tiny poorly shaped hands reaching in from off panel and I'm laughing my rear end off

frodnonnag
Aug 13, 2007

TwoPair posted:

I know it's probably part of her costume design, but it looks like Firestar has little tiny poorly shaped hands reaching in from off panel and I'm laughing my rear end off

it's not her costume, it's the background of the page, outside of the frame.

amigolupus
Aug 25, 2017

TwoPair posted:

I'm brain-poisoned by the Legacy of Dominic Deegan thread and immediately thought those were Jazz Hands. :v:

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.

Alaois posted:

Thank you for loving Pupkin

Haven't thought of that in a minute.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer

frodnonnag posted:

it's not her costume, it's the background of the page, outside of the frame.

:doh: don't know how I didn't see that

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Entrapta fucking loves robots

Grimey Drawer

TwoPair posted:

:doh: don't know how I didn't see that

the way it cuts into the frame, I honestly had to take a second to really look at it, too.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
Well The Mikhail plotline is finished, Chronicler is still out there if someone wants to use him again in the future.

Synesthesian Fetish
Apr 29, 2008

Ya know, I useta be President... I'll let you kids punch me anywhere but the face for a dollar.

MonsterEnvy posted:

Well The Mikhail plotline is finished, Chronicler is still out there if someone wants to use him again in the future.

Do we know where Beast is at this point? I wouldn't be surprised if he was working with Orchis

Rochallor
Apr 23, 2010

ふっっっっっっっっっっっっck

Synesthesian Fetish posted:

Do we know where Beast is at this point? I wouldn't be surprised if he was working with Orchis

I can't really see Beast working with Orchis. At this point he's more in the mode of a character like Apocalypse where he is devoted to mutantkind no matter what the cost. Even after he went rogue he was loving up Orchis dudes, IIRC.

Vague spoilers from solicits: Beast is on the cover of the January issue of X-Force #48, and with Chroncler back on the shelf for now, he's the last long-running plot thread from the book. I'm wondering if they're going to wrap it up with issue #50, that's a lot more than most books get these days.

Sephyr
Aug 28, 2012
Gotta say, the nesting doll troopers looked goofy and lame when I first saw them and have not improved since.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Is X-Force the only book that didn't get a new #1 since Hox-Pox? And still the same writer?

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

our every move is the new tradition

Air Skwirl posted:

Is X-Force the only book that didn't get a new #1 since Hox-Pox? And still the same writer?

I don't think Wolverine did either.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Wanderer posted:

I don't think Wolverine did either.

And that's the same writer, right. Benjamin Percy is kinda amazing. I sorta stopped reading those books a bit after X of Swords and now I'm catching up and they're really good, like when X-Force was announced as "The CIA of Krakoa" a lot of people including myself said "but the CIA really loving sucks and tends to create more problems than they solve" and then reading the book I realized "Oh Benjamin Percy is also not a big fan of the CIA."

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Hey so no sooner do we mention Justice then he's brought up in Unlimited.

I'm glad Nova isn't dead. Still kind of tired of Storm being like a gigantic can do no wrong and is the best and strongest thing Ewing has with her. She's gotta have some flaws, and Gillen recognized that.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Hey so no sooner do we mention Justice then he's brought up in Unlimited.

I'm glad Nova isn't dead. Still kind of tired of Storm being like a gigantic can do no wrong and is the best and strongest thing Ewing has with her. She's gotta have some flaws, and Gillen recognized that.

I'm fine with Storm being the baddest bitch no one can mess with, because 1) her powers are insane and 2) she spent a really long amount of time leading the X-Men without her powers, so it feels really earned.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Storm is cool. I like her. I just think it's gone overboard in having her be perfect and no flaws.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
She has flaws. I would say she has not been presented as being right in all of her actions in Red. Before Apocalypse came to offer assistance, she was planning on ending the war by mass slaughter and destruction using her powers.

JordanKai
Aug 19, 2011

Get high and think of me.

I'm not a big fan of the current X-Force run myself, but I do respect the hell out of Percy for sticking with it for so long and while the rest of the books have been getting renamed, renumbered, and creative teams shuffled around. I don't know what his secret is, but it's working, so I can't knock it. :patriot:

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

Storm lovers should pick up the next issue of Immortal Thor.

Diet Poison
Jan 20, 2008

LICK MY ASS

JordanKai posted:

I'm not a big fan of the current X-Force run myself, but I do respect the hell out of Percy for sticking with it for so long and while the rest of the books have been getting renamed, renumbered, and creative teams shuffled around. I don't know what his secret is, but it's working, so I can't knock it. :patriot:

I was under the impression that most of the time, the creatives do not have a choice in this manner. I was wondering what dirt Percy has on editorial that his books seem to be immune from this editorial fuckery.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Everyone just kind of ignored what he did. Maybe they'll talk about how Beast sucks now, but the only real impact it had was the one issue of Immortal

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Everyone just kind of ignored what he did. Maybe they'll talk about how Beast sucks now, but the only real impact it had was the one issue of Immortal

I can't imagine they won't, given that Wolverine is still actively trying to kill him