Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Seph
Jul 12, 2004

Please look at this photo every time you support or defend war crimes. Thank you.

ex post facho posted:

There is a large Muslim population in Michigan, particularly in the population centers. There was an article recently that said he's lost something like 40 points of support amongst that voting bloc.

Biden doesn't seem to realize that this is a critical constituency, in this state that he has to win, apparently, by continuing to offer nothing but support for Israel's ongoing genocide in Gaza.

Muslims are ~2% of the population in Michigan. Even if all of them switched from Biden to Trump that would only imply a 4% change, not the 8% swing that poll is indicating (from Biden +3 to Trump +5).

Realistically only a fraction of the Muslim population will change their vote because of I/P, and an even smaller subset would vote for Trump rather than just abstaining. Personally I don’t see the impact from that being more than 1% or so.

That obviously would matter in a close race, so I’m not completely discounting it, but it doesn’t come close to explaining that poll. Either there’s been a seismic shift in the electorate since 2020, or that poll is an outlier. I would wait until we are closer to the election and we have more data points before getting worried.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

B B posted:

In my opinion, NYT/Siena seems to know what they are doing with their polling.

Those are Final polls though not one year out, haven’t even started the primaries polls.

It’s almost like that makes a huge difference!

B B
Dec 1, 2005

Bar Ran Dun posted:

Those are Final polls though not one year out, haven’t even started the primaries polls.

It’s almost like that makes a huge difference!

Sure it does. But they're a good pollster, and those numbers very well may reflect where the race stands today. There's a lot of time between now and election day for the Democratic Party to reverse these sorts of trends, but they should absolutely be worried by those numbers.

AKA Pseudonym
May 16, 2004

A dashing and sophisticated young man
Doctor Rope
I get why it sounds unskewy to people but the whole "polls aren't predictive this far out" isn't just some old chestnut, there's genuinely a very poor statistical correlation between polls a year from an election and the actual results. This is a rematch, so maybe it's different but people aren't just making that up.

Staluigi
Jun 22, 2021

Crunch Buttsteak posted:

I think that this much focus and worry spent on a voluntary phone poll a year before the election before either candidate has even begun actively campaigning is more a sign of our collective under-reported trauma from 2016 than anything resembling proper analysis, tbh.

I love how crazy it is that we increasingly have no new way to poll to replace the ways that don't work anymore without several trips to an all inclusive data massaging spa

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

AKA Pseudonym posted:

I get why it sounds unskewy to people but the whole "polls aren't predictive this far out" isn't just some old chestnut, there's genuinely a very poor statistical correlation between polls a year from an election and the actual results. This is a rematch, so maybe it's different but people aren't just making that up.

Agreed.
Voters are goldfish. They're going to remember the most recent thing that happened.
If, a week before the election, the FBI comes out and says they're going to investigate Biden's emails or if US troops managed to kill the King of Terrorism, that's going to be what people have in mind when they pull the lever.

Obviously this isn't applicable to the people who have already made up their minds, but for anyone who is on the fence, they're going to go off of the most recent thing to have been in the news.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one
When the night is calling

I just feel like it's uniquely pointless to be paying any mind to polling when there is absolutely no way to predict how the multiple criminal and civil proceedings against one of the candidates will shake out over the next year.

Hell Trump might not even be on the ballot in some states, though I personally regard that as highly unlikely because I am almost certain his SCOTUS will make sure he is, it's not totally impossible. Colorado doesn't matter because it's blue and Trump taking Minnesota is a long shot, but if he's not on the ballot in even a single battleground state his job gets immeasurably harder. Again I emphasize that I regard this as incredibly unlikely and I am almost certain he'll be running in 50 states, but I am trying to illustrate that we sure do live in times.

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

B B posted:

Sure it does. But they're a good pollster, and those numbers very well may reflect where the race stands today. There's a lot of time between now and election day for the Democratic Party to reverse these sorts of trends, but they should absolutely be worried by those numbers.

Right how did the 538 polls for 2022 look in 2021?

lol it’s not like one can easy find that anymore. Search engines suck now.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

If it so happens that Biden loses a close race because of democrats’ love of Israel, I think the most likely outcome is a months-long scolding of arabs and leftists for being ungrateful and throwing the vulnerable to the wolves, which fades by midterms. When have democrats ever listened to public opinion where public opinion departs from maintaining the status quo? I guess Biden tried student loan forgiveness.

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

I AM GRANDO posted:

If it so happens that Biden loses a close race because of democrats’ love of Israel, I think the most likely outcome is a months-long scolding of arabs and leftists for being ungrateful and throwing the vulnerable to the wolves, which fades by midterms. When have democrats ever listened to public opinion where public opinion departs from maintaining the status quo? I guess Biden tried student loan forgiveness.

Why are we pretending the # of votes lost from supporting Israel is even close to the # lost from not? Like it's hosed up but the Pro-Israel lobby/voting bloc is very organized, not that it should stop Biden from doing the actual right thing here.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 2 hours!

I AM GRANDO posted:

Afghanistan, the border wall, FTC suits against major tech companies, gun control EOs, cannabis posession pardons, drug price negotiations through federal programs?

Killer robot
Sep 6, 2010

I was having the most wonderful dream. I think you were in it!
Pillbug
It's not like the loan thing is a past-tense "Tried" either, millions of people have had loans forgiven through the channels that are legally available, and there's a second swing coming up to do more within the bounds of the current Congress and courts after the easiest route got shut down.

https://www.vox.com/policy/2023/11/4/23944041/biden-student-loan-debt-relief-new-plan-scotus

It's became supremely uninteresting to a lot of people once the "he could do this at a stroke of a pen" turned out not to be true.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead
For a vast proportion of debtors, the reforms to the system (most notably capping repayments at a teeny percentage of discretionary income for however many years before you're eligible for regular forgiveness) also may as well be loan forgiveness. I'd file that as a pretty kept promise even before the next bite at the apple or, if we're lucky, any future legislation.

socialsecurity posted:

Why are we pretending the # of votes lost from supporting Israel is even close to the # lost from not? Like it's hosed up but the Pro-Israel lobby/voting bloc is very organized, not that it should stop Biden from doing the actual right thing here.

I'm honestly almost hoping in some ways that the doomsayers are right and supporting Israel is a vote loser and not a vote winner. Yes, it's bad for 2024 and by extension for all of us, but the alternative says some very uncomfortable things about the American/Democratic electorate.

Mid-Life Crisis
Jun 13, 2023

by Fluffdaddy

Ms Adequate posted:

I just feel like it's uniquely pointless to be paying any mind to polling when there is absolutely no way to predict how the multiple criminal and civil proceedings against one of the candidates will shake out over the next year.

Hell Trump might not even be on the ballot in some states, though I personally regard that as highly unlikely because I am almost certain his SCOTUS will make sure he is, it's not totally impossible. Colorado doesn't matter because it's blue and Trump taking Minnesota is a long shot, but if he's not on the ballot in even a single battleground state his job gets immeasurably harder. Again I emphasize that I regard this as incredibly unlikely and I am almost certain he'll be running in 50 states, but I am trying to illustrate that we sure do live in times.

The only part of this that will hurt him is actually not being on the ballot in multiple swing states. Otherwise it’s in his favor

James Garfield
May 5, 2012
Am I a manipulative abuser in real life, or do I just roleplay one on the Internet for fun? You decide!
Israel just isn't going to be a major issue in 2024. Every four years pundits write thinkpieces about how foreign policy is going to decide the election this time, and they're always wrong.

B B posted:

"Polls a year before the election have little predictive value" doesn't mean the polls are wrong. If I flip a coin to predict the outcome of the 2024 election, it has a 50% chance to be right, but I don't get any new information from doing it.

People don't think Biden is doing better than the polls imply because they reweighted the polls to find out that he was actually leading, there are other types of evidence like special elections that are more favorable to Democrats.

Kale
May 14, 2010

Eric Cantonese posted:

I got a little criticized for this before, but I think the combination of inflation and the effects of interest rates is a big drag on Biden. He's in the hot seat now and he gets the blame whether or not that's totally warranted. I don't think it's losing the plot as much as Biden having to pay for the struggles people are going through. Whatever matters to the Paul Krugmans of the world as they tell you the big picture isn't necessarily going to help everyday voters with big grievances.

Also, who knows what kind of harmful bleeding the balancing act he is trying to pull with Israel is going to cause come 2024. Maybe it'll have faded enough or maybe everyone will still be really pissed off.

I know anecdotes are pretty worthless, but I have noticed a lot of Jewish people in my circles talking about feeling betrayed by "Democrats" and the "left wing" so, I'm not feeling great. The Democrats in NY already paid a price in 2022 for doing the right thing about the horrible Orthodox-run schools.

Are people actually paying attention to Trump's campaign rally speeches though and how clearly he's spiraling and just rambling and seems to have completely lost the plot as to the actual issues out there? To me he's way more of a hot mess than Biden has been anywhere in public lately and doesn't even seem capable of delivering for MAGA let alone the American people at large. Also you know he's gonna be busy with all his trials for a while now and the big one still looms large in The State of Georgia v. Donald J. Trump, et al. If he's found guilty and then still elected and even wins Georgia this time then I don't see how democracy can survive in the United States at that point.

small butter
Oct 8, 2011

haveblue posted:

I feel these polls are a little bit skewed, someone should do something about that

There's either something wrong with the polls or there's something wrong with all the other data points that show Democrats ahead. There's no way around this.

The data points showing Democrats winning:
1. Consistently overperforming in special elections by an average margin of +11 since the start of the year: https://abcnews.go.com/538/democrats-winning-big-special-elections/story?id=103315703
Special election results are strongly correlated with winning the upcoming election.

2. Adding to the Senate, governorships, and state legislatures, while barely losing the House during unprecedented inflation, the stock market making new lows, and economy scaremongering in 2022
Previous midterm results are strongly correleated with winning the upcoming election.

3. Incumbency advantage
Incumbents typically win their election.

4. Trump lost in 2020
Previous election losers have only gone on once to win the general. Trump was kicked out the first time for a reason.

5. Trump's many indictments which may lead to a guilty verdict next year
6. Polls have been underestimating Democrats this entire cycle, from special elections that Democrats demolished to their 2022 midterm results
7. Democrats have been on a roll since 2018
8. The current polls suggest Trump winning the popular vote, which is extremely unlikely
9. House chaos that will not get any better

The data points showing Republicans winning:
1. Polls showing Trump ahead
2. Some of the above is specific to Democrats and not Biden

Am I missing anything from either list?

Lumpy
Apr 26, 2002

La! La! La! Laaaa!

College Slice

Kale posted:

Are people actually paying attention to Trump's campaign rally speeches though and how clearly he's spiraling and just rambling and seems to have completely lost the plot as to the actual issues out there? To me he's way more of a hot mess than Biden has been anywhere in public lately and doesn't even seem capable of delivering for MAGA let alone the American people at large.

So.... they are exactly the same as when he won? (and to be fair, lost)

small butter
Oct 8, 2011

Lumpy posted:

No, they're actually getting worse and there's been reporting on it. Trump is older and under legal pressure like never before.

https://www.nytimes.com/2023/10/30/us/politics/trump-biden-age.html

Kale
May 14, 2010

ex post facho posted:

There is a large Muslim population in Michigan, particularly in the population centers. There was an article recently that said he's lost something like 40 points of support amongst that voting bloc.

Biden doesn't seem to realize that this is a critical constituency, in this state that he has to win, apparently, by continuing to offer nothing but support for Israel's ongoing genocide in Gaza.

I have been hearing he's getting killed recently on the Muslim vote based on the decision to offer total absolute unquestionable 100% support to Netanyahu and Israel no matter what yeah. I would hope his strategists and counsel are having him reconsider that stance in light of it's deep unpopularity among that voting bloc.

Then again it's absolutely baffling to me that the Muslim population would even consider Trump again in the wake of his early actions like the Muslim travel ban among other things.

Lumpy posted:

He used to be at least somewhat able to stick to the message (albeit a terrible one) and work his base masterfully at rallies, but these days he seems low energy and like he's just going through the motions and can hardly be bothered. He seems tired, disinterested in the idea of having to campaign for a third time, and just wants to skip to the part where he would be president again and be able to get revenge on his enemies. Can barely pretend this campaign is about anything else other than revenge.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ldxkR-DVgzA

Like we're very close to getting this sort of performance in a debate when asked a question about prospective policy and goals for a theoretical second administration, if we haven't basically already. That said I doubt his base really gives a solitary poo poo whether he knows the difference between Hamas and Hummus.

Kale fucked around with this message at 00:06 on Nov 6, 2023

Eletriarnation
Apr 6, 2005

People don't appreciate the substance of things...
objects in space.

Oven Wrangler

I AM GRANDO posted:

If he actually loses because of this I think you're right, but I think the confidence people feel about saying they won't vote Biden a year from now is not going to be borne out in the results when they think "huh, do I want Donald loving Trump to have another crack at it?"

^^^ yeah, these thoughts are along the same lines as the ones I'm having

Queering Wheel
Jun 18, 2011

Eletriarnation posted:

If he actually loses because of this I think you're right, but I think the confidence people feel about saying they won't vote Biden a year from now is not going to be borne out in the results when they think "huh, do I want Donald loving Trump to have another crack at it?"

They may also just stay home, or vote on the rest of the ticket but leave the presidential portion blank. It's not unheard of.

small butter
Oct 8, 2011

Eletriarnation posted:

This is what will happen, exactly. While Biden will probably lose some Muslim support, it's a choice between a Democrat who supports Israel and a Republican who supports Israel. Except this is the Republican who did the Muslim ban and called you a terrorist. One thousand things will happen between now and then, some of these wounds will heal, and in the end, one choice is clearly better than the other.

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

Kale posted:

I have been hearing he's getting killed recently on the Muslim vote based on the decision to offer total absolute unquestionable 100% support to Netanyahu and Israel no matter what yeah. I would hope his strategists and counsel are having him reconsider that stance in light of it's deep unpopularity among that voting bloc.

Then again it's absolutely baffling to me that the Muslim population would even consider Trump again in the wake of his early actions like the Muslim travel ban among other things.

It's a tradeoff. He's pissing off Arab voters, but there's plenty of other important constituencies that greatly approve of his stance on Israel. Here's one example from the AP:

https://apnews.com/article/south-florida-jews-israel-politics-biden-israel-hamas-5dde5353f7b06659809d122b57fa0e8b

quote:

Biden’s handling of the Israel-Hamas war is a political test in South Florida’s Jewish community

SURFSIDE, Florida (AP) — On a recent balmy South Florida night, dozens of people gathered at a synagogue along a palm tree-lined road to talk about the war going on thousands of miles away.

Located just north of Miami Beach, the Shul of Bal Harbour is in the heart of South Florida’s Jewish community. Its rabbi is a well-known supporter of Florida Gov. Ron DeSantis, a Republican who has long supported conservative priorities on Israel and spoken at the Shul.

But in potentially unfriendly territory for Democrats, several people who attended the meeting said they were pleased President Joe Biden’s support of the Israeli offensive against Gaza.

“I think he has sent a strong message, and that is very important,” said Georg Lipsztein, a member of the congregation. “Israel is going to do what it has to do.”

This swath of South Florida used to be a Democratic stronghold but has moved to the right, helping former President Donald Trump win the state in 2020 and DeSantis coast to a huge re-election win last year and flipping Miami-Dade County, long key to Democratic strength in the state. If Florida is to regain its status as a perennially competitive state, how Jewish voters perceive Biden’s handling of the Israel-Hamas war will be critical.

Hamas’ Oct. 7 attack killing more than 1,400 Israeli civilians evoked feelings of deep frustration, grief and anger among American Jews.

“The comfort and the resolve that he’s demonstrated has been really critical at a time when people are really just desperate,” said U.S. Rep. Debbie Wasserman Schultz, a Biden surrogate who represents suburbs south of Fort Lauderdale. “I’ve never seen in my 30 years of public service this magnitude of pain, shock and anger burning in the hearts of all Jews.”

In 2016, Democrats had about 327,000 more registered voters in the state. The GOP now has about 626,000 more registered voters.

In South Florida, rabbis and community leaders are pushing their congregations to call their lawmakers and insist they back Israel as it ramps up its offensive.
In Michigan, another swing state, many Arab-American and Muslim communities are angry about the Biden administration’s response as Israel’s offensive has resulted in thousands of Palestinian deaths. And some Democrats are concerned about younger voters who polls show have greater sympathy for Palestinian concerns than the party’s older and more centrist voters.

The administration is having to strike “a delicate balance of showing support for Israel rhetorically and militarily but trying to prevent the humanitarian crisis in Gaza from getting out of control,” said Eric Lob, a Florida International University professor and non-resident scholar at the Washington-based think tank Middle East Institute.

About 43% of Florida’s Jewish voters supported Donald Trump in the 2020 presidential election, compared with 30% of Jewish voters who supported him nationwide, according to AP VoteCast. Florida Gov. Ron DeSantis won 45% of Jewish voters in his re-election, when he flipped traditionally Democratic Miami-Dade County while also winning a majority of Latino voters statewide.

An estimated 525,000 Jews live in Miami’s metropolitan area which includes Fort Lauderdale and Pompano Beach, according to the American Jewish Population Project at Brandeis University.

Jacob Solomon, president of the Greater Miami Jewish Federation, said South Florida has a large Orthodox community along with immigrants from Central and South America for whom English is not a first language. South Florida’s Jewish population includes Cubans and Venezuelans who closely follow U.S. relations with their countries of origin and generally support Republicans.

“We are among the most pro-Israel Zionist communities in North America,” he said, adding that he thinks it is the community with the strongest connection to Israel in the U.S.

On her trips to Israel, Lauren Book, the top Democrat in the Florida State Senate, uses an app that warns Israelis about incoming rockets from Hamas. But even back in Florida, the alert still goes off sometimes awakening her 6-year-old twins.

“I keep it on, just so I know what’s happening and so my children understand that if we were in Israel, you don’t have the luxury of turning it off,” she said in an interview.

Elected to the state senate in 2016, Book is a vocal opponent of DeSantis on most issues and was arrested near the state Capitol earlier this year in a protest against a ban on abortions after six weeks that he eventually signed. But she told The Associated Press last week that she was thankful for his sending charter planes to Israel to transport people seeking evacuation.

“We are all deeply, deeply connected and only one or two degrees separated from all of the things that have happened there,” Book said.

Rabbis and community leaders are holding Zoom calls with survivors of the Hamas attack.

Many leaders oppose a ceasefire. Israel has launched a total blockade of Gaza; airstrikes have flattened buildings and homes, killing civilians and forcing hundreds of thousands to evacuate as it prepares for a possible ground invasion, vowing to destroy Hamas.

Rabbi Andrew Jacobs, who leads a synagogue in Fort Lauderdale, Ramat Shalom, says he encourages members of the congregation to stay informed and reach out to leaders and thank them for standing by Israel. He said he warns congregants to be prepared for voices to change “when the ugliness of war comes out” as Israel, with support from the United States, continues to bombard Gaza.

“We have to be vigilant to all calls and cries for ceasefire or putting blame on Israel right now because this work needs to be done once and for all to bring peace to that region,” Jacobs said. “President Biden has expressed very strong support for Israel and those of us who support the Jewish state are going to continue to expect him to keep doing the same thing.”

Many are worried that anti-Israel sentiment is growing, particularly in universities. In California, an incident was reported at Stanford University in which a lecturer singled out Jewish students in an undergraduate class asking them to stand in a corner and told the room that was what Israel does to the Palestinians. In New York, threatening statements about Jews were shared on an internet discussion board at Cornell University, prompting officials to send police to guard a Jewish center and kosher dining hall.

At the University of Miami, vigils and rallies have been held by both students mourning the loss of Israelis and calling for the return of hostages as well as those grieving the loss of Palestinians in the war. The university’s president, Julio Frenk, issued a statement in solidarity with Israel.

One Miami student, 20-year-old Nicole Segal, says she is hoping for continuing support from the administration, but has been disheartened by what she sees as a lack of support from other progressive groups.

“It’s very shocking that not enough non-Jewish people are standing up for Israel. I feel as if when there were other political matters, they stood up,” she said. “It’s upsetting.”

Not only is this a significantly-sized group in a swing state that strongly supports pro-Israel stuff, but they're also far more willing to shift rightward if spurned, and in fact have already been doing so.

Civilized Fishbot
Apr 3, 2011

Main Paineframe posted:

It's a tradeoff. He's pissing off Arab voters, but there's plenty of other important constituencies that greatly approve of his stance on Israel. Here's one example from the AP:

https://apnews.com/article/south-florida-jews-israel-politics-biden-israel-hamas-5dde5353f7b06659809d122b57fa0e8b

Not only is this a significantly-sized group in a swing state that strongly supports pro-Israel stuff, but they're also far more willing to shift rightward if spurned, and in fact have already been doing so.

Is Florida still a swing state? I don't hear about it as one anymore.

OctaMurk
Jun 21, 2013

Kale posted:

They dont have to vote for Trump, they can just stay home and point to the fact that a lot more a lot more Palestinians died from American bombs under Biden than died under Trump. I think the Biden team's whole idea of "yeah genocide is bad but I'm sure Muslim voters will just get over it in a year" is kinda gross.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Civilized Fishbot posted:

Is Florida still a swing state? I don't hear about it as one anymore.
Not anymore. Take this from someone who lives here. We're a red state now and probably will be for a long time.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound
once the republicans take the legislature they lock states red.

Seph
Jul 12, 2004

Please look at this photo every time you support or defend war crimes. Thank you.

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

once the republicans take the legislature they lock states red.

Floridas red status isn’t a result of gerrymandering, it’s legitimately gotten more conservative in the last decade. Just look at the statewide elections. A dem hasn’t won a statewide election there since 2012. Obama won it by less than a percent in 2012, then in 2016 it went Trump +1, and in 2020 it was Trump +3. DeSantis won by 20 points in 2022 and that was against a former Republican.

Cimber
Feb 3, 2014

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

D-Pad
Jun 28, 2006

socialsecurity posted:

Yeah I have no doubt Biden will lose some votes for his support of Israel but he would lose way way more if he didn't do so. Not to mention the incredible amount of money the Israel and related lobbies could put to work against him.

I'm not saying he made a good or right decision to be clear just that either way he will lose votes but one is much bigger than the other.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Discendo Vox posted:

Afghanistan, the border wall, FTC suits against major tech companies, gun control EOs, cannabis posession pardons, drug price negotiations through federal programs?

Yeah, I forgot about the prescription drug thing. That was really good.

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

Seph posted:

Floridas red status isn’t a result of gerrymandering, it’s legitimately gotten more conservative in the last decade. Just look at the statewide elections. A dem hasn’t won a statewide election there since 2012. Obama won it by less than a percent in 2012, then in 2016 it went Trump +1, and in 2020 it was Trump +3. DeSantis won by 20 points in 2022 and that was against a former Republican.

there is something to be said for the dems in florida being particularly incompetent, but even with a party that wasn't a bunch of imbeciles, the rate of boomer retiree immigration into florida by itself probably means florida is lost for a generation.

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

Main Paineframe posted:

It's a poo poo tradeoff sacrificing Michigan to see about winning back Florida.

cr0y
Mar 24, 2005

I think people are justifiably concerned about polls for 2024 because we aren't sure if there's going to be a 2028 if we can't get this one to go our way.

B B
Dec 1, 2005

cr0y posted:

I think people are justifiably concerned about polls for 2024 because we aren't sure if there's going to be a 2028 if we can't get this one to go our way.

This is most certainly the most important election of our lifetime, just like the last one, the next one, and the one after that.

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Are... are you quite sure you really want to say that?
Taco Defender
Polls have proven to be worthless in recent years. It's baffling to see so much concern over poll results (especially ones with such a high margin of error) a full year before the election, before anyone is paying attention.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK
Biden has been relatively unpopular since he announced his campaign in 2019. He's the "best we've got, I guess" candidate, and the base has been asking if there isn't anyone else his whole term. So of course a year out his numbers are poo poo and everyone is thinking about whether or not he even deserves their vote.

The polls are probably accurate for the event that we had a snap election today. And we're in the same boat we've been in since 2016, where the Democratic candidate is one of the very few people who could actually lose to Donald Trump. However we're not voting today, and a whole lot of insane poo poo can happen between now and November 24. The 2020s are interesting times and we're all cursed.

What the polls are telling us is that Biden hasn't become a better candidate via good Presidenting, and we need to be vigilant. They don't tell us that Donnie's back with a power up. So, right now, we're looking at essentially a redo of 2020. Biden hasn't gained ground, and right now he's dealing with events that would be a significant drag if they're still occuring in a year. However the next year is looking real bad for Trump, and all his offerings are being redirected to his defense. Right now sucks for Biden, next year appears to be headed towards a better position. Hopefully 2028 sees the DNC getting their head out their rear end.

Buckwheat Sings
Feb 9, 2005
In the year 2024, where no one picks up a phone to a random number, let alone pick up the phone period due to dogshit telecommunications laws.

No one is responding to these things other than lonely old people. In terms of actually knowing what the public wants, I imagine it's similar to what key words they say around their iPhones that's then sold to Google ads.

I'm surprised anyone even takes polls seriously anymore. It's gone the way of the dinosaur.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

D-Pad
Jun 28, 2006

B B posted:

This is most certainly the most important election of our lifetime, just like the last one, the next one, and the one after that.

On the other hand, the Washington Post reported today about how the Trump team is considering invoking the insurrection act on Day 1 so the military can put down the expected protests.

https://www.thedailybeast.com/donald-trump-mulling-deploying-military-to-streets-on-day-1-if-elected-report-says?ref=home