Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Enemabag Jones
Mar 24, 2015

You may think I am a bad person with bad opinions but wait until you hear my backstory buddy

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

A Sometimes Food posted:

?

8 was campier than like any RE other than 4. That game introduces the villains to you like they're loving COBRA.

7 and 8 are both campy yes. those are the bits i like. but they've also got bits like the dollhouse and i'm generally not into the more gross out bits of body horror like 7's dinner scene, i like it when it's almost comically framed like ethan getting his hand cut off and going "ahhh poo poo!" but like, the grosser death animations in re have never been my favorite part so i dont actually enjoy it when the games are trying really hard to make you feel uncomfortable, i'm more here for the parts where i wander through creepy locations and then a big monster pops out and my guy is like "whoa! you're a big one!" before i engage in an epic duel with the beast. 7 and 8 have an amount of that but it's mixed in with parts that feel like they're from other horror games that if i really wanted this i'd just be playing those, it's why i'm not really a fan of the first person style much and am way more into stuff like re2make. again none of this is bad mind, it just feels weird cause to me the essence of resident evil is either mapping out a spooky building while tactically dodging monsters or blasting big freaky guys in the face while hearing the worst one liners ever written, makes 7 and 8 ones i dont really feel like replaying over some of the others cause for all the bits of this stuff they do have i know they're gonna have these other bits i'm not as big a fan of

the eveline stuff also just rubs me the wrong way cause for as goofy as re writing gets it doesnt usually get weird in the sense of, there being an emotionally manipulated little girl everyone decides is the cause of all the evil in the world, and we all gotta kill the little bitch to fix it. that's weird. that's weirder on a deeper level than code veronica somehow. not sure how they got there

The Colonel fucked around with this message at 20:02 on Nov 5, 2023

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
i think there'd be less negativity towards the silent hill 2 remake if konami bothered putting the original versions of 2 and 3 anywhere, if they're willing to sell a homecoming pc port from 2008 that doesn't work for full price and a silent hill 4 pc port that's a bit busted, there's no reason they can't sell the silent hill 2 and 3 pc ports that work comparatively fine and have tons of fan fixes. hell, the mgs master collection shows they have no hesitation about just selling pre-wrapped ps1 isos in an emulator so there's no reason they can't just toss silent hill 1 up while they're at it.

also i might be misremembering but i'm pretty sure there was a very open statement from bloober that they'd be putting some of their own into the remake. could mean anything i guess but it is something

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Jesus! Jesus Christ! Say his name! Jesus! Jesus! Come down now!

Oxxidation posted:

stray souls was also from ex-bloober staff and apparently one of the worst games of the year

they’re serial plagiarists who know nothing about game design even on the level of walking simulators

There’s no accounting for taste but Bloober is like, the definition of a hack workshop. There’s always been a place for hacks in horror — it is, above all things, a genre which requires very little in terms of resources or even effort to produce a product.

It’s not that 100% of their breakthrough game’s appeal came freely available from artists 100+ years dead, it’s that every other aspect of it, and every other aspect of every other game they’ve made since, has showed the same level of effort and ambition. Even and especially Observer, which had one decent visual sequence and was otherwise as rote as they come. They’re a content mill.

Basic Chunnel fucked around with this message at 21:05 on Nov 5, 2023

man nurse
Feb 18, 2014

Silent Hill 2 is an incredibly tall order to remake because the original is not only highly influential and well regarded but struck a perfect balance of little subtleties and taking advantage of its tech limitations to enhance them. It’s bottled lightning. Handing it off to a “horror” studio that has the subtlety of a brick through a glass window is a major lol and instills very little faith combined with how Konami has been, well, Konami.

I will probably still play it because I kinda wanna see for myself what comes out of this, in a morbid curiosity kind of way. I managed to glean enjoyment from stuff like Homecoming and Downpour, so I’m sure the worst that will happen is “well that was certainly a thing”.

roomtone
Jul 1, 2021

by Fluffdaddy
i dunno why they're doing all this silent hill: subtitle bullshit when all you need to do is give a good development team a budget, mandate they actually set it in silent hill, and call it silent hill 5, erasing the 20 years of mixed results and refocusing things. then in five years you can do all your watered down spinoff and remake poo poo.

they're milking something which already has no good will left. it's stupid.

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

SH is sort of like Alien in the way it has a really iconic early entry and its subsequent treatment has driven fans up a wall, such that when new stuff is announced they’re more trepidatious than excited — there’s a sense of disconnect between the people who control the IP and the hardcore fans.

SH had been so dead for so long that fans worked themselves into actual hype with the unconfirmed rumors that it was starting up again. What was really perfect abt the Bloober announcement was that it so perfectly punctured the hope that Konami might finally see the same kinds of potential for interesting work that SH fans did. You don’t go to Bloober Team for anything more than the absolute minimum.

Now with the absolutely deranged CYOA we have even more incredible insight into how little quality control or awareness Konami has about what it’s publishing. The potential for a world-historically bad SH game has never been greater.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

There's yer problem

TheWorldsaStage
Sep 10, 2020

Basic Chunnel posted:

SH is sort of like Alien in the way it has a really iconic early entry and its subsequent treatment has driven fans up a wall, such that when new stuff is announced they’re more trepidatious than excited — there’s a sense of disconnect between the people who control the IP and the hardcore fans.

SH had been so dead for so long that fans worked themselves into actual hype with the unconfirmed rumors that it was starting up again. What was really perfect abt the Bloober announcement was that it so perfectly punctured the hope that Konami might finally see the same kinds of potential for interesting work that SH fans did. You don’t go to Bloober Team for anything more than the absolute minimum.

Now with the absolutely deranged CYOA we have even more incredible insight into how little quality control or awareness Konami has about what it’s publishing. The potential for a world-historically bad SH game has never been greater.

Well Konami kind of did see its potential when they got Del Toro and Junji Ito involved. When that fell through nothing was ever going to be good enough. god knows I created an amazing SH game in my head with those names attached

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

It’s a little bit funny that there’s Bloober’s Observer, whose only merit consisted in a dying Rutger Hauer getting in the booth to record lines which might well have (honestly could have) come from a hardboiled detective dialogue generator. And then there’s NoCode’s Observation, a genuinely unnerving game likely made on the same budget, but one that managed to make its gameplay and conceit actually interesting and compelling (ending was a little inscrutable, but visually fantastic)

Crucially also, they’re both games which are essentially on-rails Halloween seasonal haunted houses (aka walking sims) but Bloober makes really bad ones — they never even attempt to make you forget that you’re in a series of contrived set pieces, using and reuse the most basic level and puzzle design available to them in the most standard possibly ways. NoCode tries and often succeeds in getting players to forget the contrivance through presentation and smoke/mirrors. Observation has actual tension!

The thing about Bloober is that you can’t even say they’re a low budget studio. It is in fact profoundly easy to find shockingly similar and similarly simple games, made with canned assets, by teams of one or two people on itch.io. What stinks about Bloober is that they get low-mid production budgets but their fundamentals are never better than the cheapest, student project-caliber indies.

The question is: would the money that Bloober gets produce better games from other small studios? There’s a real sense that Bloober gets these jobs because they’ve proven they dependably ship things, even if nobody really believes those things are any good. That’s what makes them hacks.

Basic Chunnel fucked around with this message at 21:34 on Nov 5, 2023

TheWorldsaStage
Sep 10, 2020

NoCode is amazing and everyone should at least be a little excited for Townfall

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

Basic Chunnel posted:

Alien still on occasion gets the good video game at least, everything post Silent Hill 4 was trash or heavily flawed at best and I'm being very generous by including Silent Hill 4 in the good game list because that too is heavily flawed. Many fans would argue it hasn't been good since Silent Hill 3.

Enemabag Jones
Mar 24, 2015

Silent Hill 4 is 90% bad and 10% the apartment which is so good it saves the whole thing for me.

TheWorldsaStage
Sep 10, 2020

Mr. Fortitude posted:

Alien still on occasion gets the good video game at least, everything post Silent Hill 4 was trash or heavily flawed at best and I'm being very generous by including Silent Hill 4 in the good game list because that too is heavily flawed. Many fans would argue it hasn't been good since Silent Hill 3.

I've managed to enjoy every Silent Hill. If Yamaoka and Mary Elizabeth Mcglynn are at all involved it's guaranteed for me. I liked the side stories in Downpour, and the Scarlet level in Homecoming was fantastic. ShatMem was also one I just really enjoyed

E: I didn't play the psp game but Love Psalm is a freakin' great song

TheWorldsaStage fucked around with this message at 21:42 on Nov 5, 2023

Whirling
Feb 23, 2023

I have a little bit of interest in Silent Hill f but the company making it seems to have only done third-party work on Capcom stuff and poo poo like the Square-Enix Avengers game so I don't have high hopes it'll be anything amazing

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Mr. Fortitude posted:

Right, which is what makes the fanbase so notoriously quixotic, second only, perhaps, to Sonic fans — with both the object has been so bad for so long that it’s hard for anyone outside to remember where the enthusiasm might have come from in the first place. But it’s plainly there, and boy does it seem to curdle into outright derangement.

Then on top of that you have this development:

TheWorldsaStage posted:

Well Konami kind of did see its potential when they got Del Toro and Junji Ito involved. When that fell through nothing was ever going to be good enough. god knows I created an amazing SH game in my head with those names attached
And that only added to the sense of a cosmic prank. Something similar happened with Vampire: Bloodlines, where it seemed like a miraculous turn was around the corner, then — yoink.

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Fight for all that is beautiful in the world

It's Trauma! is still funny tbh

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
i mean. sonic has had good games. i feel like people forget this under all the joking about it but the ones people gave unironic praise are unironically pretty good. i enjoyed playing them. colors and generations are okay at making something of their core gimmicks and frontiers was mostly decent if kinda tech demo-y. that's more than i can say about a silent hill game post-4

i think silent hill 4 itself also just signifies how it's not even quite a matter of studio, team silent couldn't keep going under the conditions konami put them in so of course a bunch of random studios konami hires on the cheap can't either. konami can't "just make a good silent hill 5" because the fundamental reason konami's hit this point is because their business practices are so oppressively bad they haven't even been able to retain aa-level game design teams, let alone aaa ones.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
i think sh4 was so oppressively weird that it had a magic all its own but that's the thing, it still had a unique identity. all the western copycats have been just that - they're concerned foremost with being silent hill games when it was never really a franchise in the vein of resident evil

which was one more reason to be skeptical about this revival attempt. skepticism's panning out well so far!

Chillmatic
Jul 25, 2003

always seeking to survive and flourish
The fact that after SH2 the series didn't just become a Twight Zone-esque anthology of "This town is hosed up. It will call you to go there and mess with your head because you interesting thing here."

That's all they had to do, man. gently caress a cult.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
again, there was, a thematic purpose to it in silent hill 3. it made sense. the existence of the cult in the narrative is not the problem, it's that when you ask a bunch of contract studios on the cheap to make a cinematic universe out of your horror game they're going to grab onto whatever element they see and stretch it out as wide as possible. if the cult didnt exist in origin or homecoming they would likely still find a way to be bad because homecoming's writing blew poo poo and origin was a throwaway shovelware psp game

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

Oxxidation posted:

i think sh4 was so oppressively weird that it had a magic all its own but that's the thing, it still had a unique identity. all the western copycats have been just that - they're concerned foremost with being silent hill games when it was never really a franchise in the vein of resident evil

which was one more reason to be skeptical about this revival attempt. skepticism's panning out well so far!

Yeah Silent Hill 4's issues stem from the execution, not the concept. The concept is unique and great. That's more than you can say for the western Silent Hill games which just try to copy 2 again but shoehorn the cult from 1 into them (Origins and Homecoming) while Shattered Memories is just a game with a kinda neat but utterly superfluous gimmick. Downpour at least had a few interesting ideas but the execution managed to be even worse than 4 somehow, both due to developer inexperience and Konami overmanaging the project by all accounts.

That's why I have zero faith in the Silent Hill 2 remake. Bloober Team are terrible but people forget that pre-Pachislot era Konami was still utterly terrible and the games which were good like Castlevania, Metal Gear or early Silent Hill managed to be good in spite of Konami's lovely business practices, a third party developer being contracted to make the games have no chance to say no to Konami. They're basically a Black Company.

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

Mr. Fortitude posted:

They're basically a Black Company.

They're a band of magic-casting soldiers?

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

Inspector Gesicht posted:

They're a band of magic-casting soldiers?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Black_company_(Japan)

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

That's considerably less cool.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
silent hill is an easy example to point to but genuinely there is not a single major konami franchise that has not historically been crushed under the weight of their awful, awful management. for every series capcom stumbled with or bogged down with unnecessary garbage and their own selection of poorly chosen contract studios, konami has literally sunk every iconic franchise they own to the point they've gone years barely acknowledging some of them, not even in the token ways capcom will acknowledge mega man. poo poo, konami barely even puts as much effort into rereleases of their older games as a company like capcom will. it's absurd

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
i liked observation and roughly 75% of stories untold (especially the radio operator chapter) but the ending totally soured me on the entire thing.

why did stories untold, returnal, and probably a few movies in the period i'm forgetting, have the same moronic twist

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

The Colonel posted:

silent hill is an easy example to point to but genuinely there is not a single major konami franchise that has not historically been crushed under the weight of their awful, awful management. for every series capcom stumbled with or bogged down with unnecessary garbage and their own selection of poorly chosen contract studios, konami has literally sunk every iconic franchise they own to the point they've gone years barely acknowledging some of them, not even in the token ways capcom will acknowledge mega man. poo poo, konami barely even puts as much effort into rereleases of their older games as a company like capcom will. it's absurd

i joke about Yu-Gi-Oh! Master Duel but it's amazing that they put out what might be the best online TCG client out of any of them, going as far as to hire the Octopath Traveler composer to do music for it. maybe they put the effort in when it comes to gacha/TCGs

Enemabag Jones
Mar 24, 2015

If Stories Untold had ended right before the last chapter, with no other changes, it would probably be one of my all-time favorites.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
the radio operator chapter of Stories Untold is amazing. just a perfect bite-sized bit of horror gaming

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

Feels Villeneuve posted:

i joke about Yu-Gi-Oh! Master Duel but it's amazing that they put out what might be the best online TCG client out of any of them, going as far as to hire the Octopath Traveler composer to do music for it. maybe they put the effort in when it comes to gacha/TCGs

there's some smaller teams at konami that have gotten by okay throughout the years, pretty sure pop'n music is still going strong too. teams like that are basically the only survivors, if a game franchise cost too much money and survived long enough then konami squeezed it out hard at some point

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
you can see that in castlevania with how like, the gba and ds games come out mostly alright since handheld games are cheap to make, but the 3d games never really got to form into much of anything until like, lords of shadow got the kojima shield for the brief time that was worth anything. and uh, that was just lords of shadow so it wasn't really delivering us anything too exciting. the ps2 games were budgeted about the same as the gba games which uhhh, not really, enough money to make a 3d ps2 game.

realistically it was probably entirely possible for konami to fund another castlevania game as dense with visual variety and weird poo poo as symphony of the night but the only people allowed access to a basic allowance were kojipro, and, only some of kojipro. just like it was entirely possible for them to make another game as ambitious and packed with character as the first two tokimeki memorials but, instead they fired out a huge dud until once again, a team came to take it up on the psp where making a new game would be much cheaper and they probably had less oversight. konami was really desperate for the idea of making as much money as possible while spending the least amount

The Colonel fucked around with this message at 23:18 on Nov 5, 2023

woodenchicken
Aug 19, 2007

Nap Ghost

Feels Villeneuve posted:

the radio operator chapter of Stories Untold is amazing. just a perfect bite-sized bit of horror gaming
I have high hopes for "Unsorted Horror", a free collection of tech-based mini experiences on Steam, downloaded it already but didn't have time to give them a go.

Orb Crabmelt
Jan 16, 2011

Nyorp.
Clapping Larry

woodenchicken posted:

I have high hopes for "Unsorted Horror", a free collection of tech-based mini experiences on Steam, downloaded it already but didn't have time to give them a go.

Save "Carbon Steel" for last, that one is definitely the best one.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

I played one of the Chilla brand horror games tonight, the one about Karaoke. All of their games are pretty good, if a little hit or miss in the horror sense, but I love the cute little chinchilla motifs they put in, like a dancing chin with the karaoke songs or a chinchilla mosaic that decorates the wall of the school. We have chinchillas IRL and I almost want to get chilla branded stuff just for it lol

If you're going to brand your game with your studio's namesake then having it be cute is a good move, even in a series of games largely about women being assaulted by perverts.

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Endorph posted:

https://twitter.com/JNavok/status/1720629912703254729

this dude is so loving proud of the its trauma sticker
as a mentally ill person that sticker is rad and funny

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

To be honest I work with a lot of younger people who like to say everything is a trauma response, they'd probably get a big kick out of that sticker.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

TheWorldsaStage posted:

I've managed to enjoy every Silent Hill. If Yamaoka and Mary Elizabeth Mcglynn are at all involved it's guaranteed for me. I liked the side stories in Downpour, and the Scarlet level in Homecoming was fantastic. ShatMem was also one I just really enjoyed

E: I didn't play the psp game but Love Psalm is a freakin' great song

So, it's not that Bloober Team is secretly good and everyone just hates them for sick internet clout: you just don't actually have standards. I enjoy chicken nuggets from time to time, too, but I'm not going to argue with anyone that Mcdonalds is actually good food.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
there is humor to be found in the it's trauma sticker yes but, the part that's weird isn't that someone drew that, it's that they drew it because they were trying to think of hip and stylish emoticons to sell people for the $20 silent hill ascension founder's pack so they can spam it in the stream chat and appear as a guest character in the hit new silent hill animated series

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
tiger horse