Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

The sad thing is Serini was completely correct, even a minimal amount of teamwork would've ensured that the Scribblers would've been able to extinguish Xykon.

Lirian killed his mortal body, Dorukan likely would've destroyed him if he hadn't been baited into a duel, Soon nearly destroyed him and Redcloak. Girard probably would've been able to put up a way better fight if not for V's Familicide.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JuniperCake
Jan 26, 2013

SKULL.GIF posted:

The sad thing is Serini was completely correct, even a minimal amount of teamwork would've ensured that the Scribblers would've been able to extinguish Xykon.

Lirian killed his mortal body, Dorukan would've destroyed him if not for being blackmailed and then surprised, Soon nearly destroyed him and Redcloak. Girard probably would've been able to put up a way better fight if not for V's Familicide.

Yup, they all had specific exploitable weaknesses because of their various blind spots. Soon too. Since Miko was a product of the same order of paladins that he thought would provide the perfect defense. It works thematically that she would be the one to sabotage it even if unintentionally.

nimby
Nov 4, 2009

The pinnacle of cloud computing.

JuniperCake posted:

Yup, they all had specific exploitable weaknesses because of their various blind spots. Soon too. Since Miko was a product of the same order of paladins that he thought would provide the perfect defense. It works thematically that she would be the one to sabotage it even if unintentionally.

Soon's plan got sabotaged by Miko because Miko became distrustful of Shojo due to him being a deceitful bastard. A more strict adherence to paladin codes by the leader of the sapphire guard could have prevented that.

Though then we'd have a different story where the inflexible nature of the paladin oaths would have seen them be used and abused by the various noble factions of Azure City. Maybe Miko still falls and slashes the gate, cause she'd be manipulated by Kubota or something.

Vizuyos
Jun 17, 2020

Thank U for reading

If you hated it...
FUCK U and never come back

JuniperCake posted:

The fatal weakness of Soon's Gate wasn't Miko. Rather, it was the fact that the legion of ghost-martyr oathspirits was kept so top-secret that even the paladins manning the final defense line didn't know about it (only Hinjo knew, and he was on the walls). Which was a fantastically dumb idea, because those paladins themselves tried to destroy the Gate as soon as poo poo looked bad. If something had suddenly distracted Xykon at the last moment, or if O-Chul had been a little faster than Xykon had expected, then the Gate would have been destroyed before Soon and his paladin ghost army could even appear.

Similarly, the only reason Girard's defenses were completely wiped out by the Familicide was because he only trusted family., and therefore never recruited a single person who wasn't blood-related to him. If there had been even a single non-Draketooth in that pyramid, the Gate wouldn't have ended up completely undefended.

Ultimately, what doomed both Gates was trust issues. By highly limiting who was trusted with important parts of the Gate defenses, both Girard and Soon ensured that when things inevitably went wrong, no one was around who was in any position to properly do something about it. Similarly, Serini almost doomed Kraagor's Gate (and the world) by flatly refusing to trust anyone besides monsters.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

Vizuyos posted:

The fatal weakness of Soon's Gate wasn't Miko. Rather, it was the fact that the legion of ghost-martyr oathspirits was kept so top-secret that even the paladins manning the final defense line didn't know about it (only Hinjo knew, and he was on the walls). Which was a fantastically dumb idea, because those paladins themselves tried to destroy the Gate as soon as poo poo looked bad. If something had suddenly distracted Xykon at the last moment, or if O-Chul had been a little faster than Xykon had expected, then the Gate would have been destroyed before Soon and his paladin ghost army could even appear.

Similarly, the only reason Girard's defenses were completely wiped out by the Familicide was because he only trusted family., and therefore never recruited a single person who wasn't blood-related to him. If there had been even a single non-Draketooth in that pyramid, the Gate wouldn't have ended up completely undefended.

Ultimately, what doomed both Gates was trust issues. By highly limiting who was trusted with important parts of the Gate defenses, both Girard and Soon ensured that when things inevitably went wrong, no one was around who was in any position to properly do something about it. Similarly, Serini almost doomed Kraagor's Gate (and the world) by flatly refusing to trust anyone besides monsters.

And interestingly there's an argument Lirian and Dorukan ended up with the best overall defenses because they trusted each other at the very least. Not enough to stop Xykon, but he was stuck in Dorukan's dungeon for a long time with completely unfettered access and never managed to fully penetrate the final protections.

They both still ultimately failed because relying on one other person wasn't the full ticket, but thematically we have both of their gates be significantly bigger obstacles for Xykon than Girard or Soon's were.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

JuniperCake posted:

Girard seems really happy to help Serini. It's cute.

Well, he was most social minded of the scribble, he must've been glad to have at least one of them he could still be friendly with.

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa

Zore posted:

And interestingly there's an argument Lirian and Dorukan ended up with the best overall defenses because they trusted each other at the very least. Not enough to stop Xykon, but he was stuck in Dorukan's dungeon for a long time with completely unfettered access and never managed to fully penetrate the final protections.

They both still ultimately failed because relying on one other person wasn't the full ticket, but thematically we have both of their gates be significantly bigger obstacles for Xykon than Girard or Soon's were.

Then again they were early obstacles. Between Lirian and Soon Xykon and Redcloak not only levelled up several times and sprang up a goblinoid army, but also Xykon became a lich. Lirian would have no chance against late level Team Evil.

MechanicalTomPetty
Oct 30, 2011

Runnin' down a dream
That never would come to me
I do like the additional reminder that yes, Soon really was the only one who gave a poo poo about the oath in the end. I think that’s been implicit for a while but in this case it’s front and centre.

Gun Jam
Apr 11, 2015

Cattail Prophet posted:

I find it interesting that of the non-Soon members, Lirian appears to be the most unenthused about helping out, especially since she has thus far been almost entirely a blank slate of a character if you haven't read SoD.

Earlier, Serini did mention that she would design the place otherwise, if Lirian co-operated.

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

Do you want your breadcrumbs highlighted?

~SMcD

Gun Jam posted:

Earlier, Serini did mention that she would design the place otherwise, if Lirian co-operated.

Sounds like it would have been if she had cooperated more, then. She probably only came up for a limited time or something.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
Remember all this time ago

The others just didn't get that to Soon, his word, was a big deal.

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

Also the Final Dungeon looks like Dorukan's because Dorukan built it for her.

Tree Reformat
Apr 2, 2022

by Fluffdaddy

Cup Runneth Over posted:

Also the Final Dungeon looks like Dorukan's because Dorukan built it for her.

I love the idea that Dorukan had terminal Engineer Brain when it came to dungeon design.

Just pure function over form, no sense of aesthetics because who cares for murder mazes?

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Tree Reformat posted:

I love the idea that Dorukan had terminal Engineer Brain when it came to dungeon design.

Just pure function over form, no sense of aesthetics because who cares for murder mazes?

An elegant Rococo or Gothic dungeon would take longer and cost more. Brutalism is the way to go when you want soul crushing design on a budget.

SuperKlaus
Oct 20, 2005

Fun Shoe
I think one could reasonably assume Lirian's nature critter army defense plan was set to continue effectively without her. Eternal cycles of intelligent woodland spirits and stuff. It's Serini's and Dorukan's that look dependent on their makers. Maybe Dorukan was researching that good lich concept.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
maybe, but Lirian's Gate was by far the worst of them, a single flame strike cast anywhere in her glade was enough to take it down

that's not even a book spoiler, Redcloak mentions it off-hand in the main comic somewhere

Dorukan's Gate actually held Xykon at bay with a simple ward, it had defenses that outlasted him.

AnoHito
May 8, 2014

SuperKlaus posted:

I think one could reasonably assume Lirian's nature critter army defense plan was set to continue effectively without her. Eternal cycles of intelligent woodland spirits and stuff. It's Serini's and Dorukan's that look dependent on their makers. Maybe Dorukan was researching that good lich concept.

Soon's was also hideously dependent on him. Literally one generation in and it turned into a quagmire of backstabbing nobles and underhanded double-dealing. That Kubota, a man who literally cavorted with devils, was not too far off from seizing control of the gate is a pretty big condemnation of its long-term efficacy.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice

AnoHito posted:

Soon's was also hideously dependent on him. Literally one generation in and it turned into a quagmire of backstabbing nobles and underhanded double-dealing. That Kubota, a man who literally cavorted with devils, was not too far off from seizing control of the gate is a pretty big condemnation of its long-term efficacy.

On the other hand Oots runs off of Narratavium and so there's always a Kubota within a heart beat away from taking the gate or if they succeed, a Hero also in range to wrest control back before anything bad happens.

Dimebags Brain
Feb 18, 2013

Even with all of the problems with Soon’s protection, it still took the big bad assembling a giant nation-conquering Mordor army to even crack the throne room so I wouldn’t call his defenses weak or bad.

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

AnoHito posted:

Kubota didn't even know the Gate existed because of the Sapphire Guard's oath.

I suppose he might have been informed upon taking the throne somehow but probably not because I doubt they'd spill the beans to the only guy in the whole city who dressed in purple.

Boldor
Sep 4, 2004
King of the Yeeks
Establishing a stable competent succession takes significant skill to pull off, if your society doesn't have elections.

It's difficult enough that I don't hold it much against any of the Scribblers, who have the additional headache of having to keep this all secret.

Capfalcon
Apr 6, 2012

No Boots on the Ground,
Puny Mortals!

Dimebags Brain posted:

Even with all of the problems with Soon’s protection, it still took the big bad assembling a giant nation-conquering Mordor army to even crack the throne room so I wouldn’t call his defenses weak or bad.

Yeah, it's the one that came the closest so far, so...

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

~SMcD

Zulily Zoetrope posted:

maybe, but Lirian's Gate was by far the worst of them, a single flame strike cast anywhere in her glade was enough to take it down

I think that's being kind of unfair to Lirian. In SoD, you learn that the true defense of her gate was the magic-suppressing micro-organisms she developed. Team Evil managed to circumvent it, but it wasn't easy by any means.

Personally, I think Team Evil would have been able to steamroll Draketooth's Gate with ease. Team Evil had its exact location and a general expectation of the defenses within, gleaned from Serini's interactions with Girard in her diary. Plus, Xykon is an anti-caster build, and especially of note, he chose Superb Dispelling as one of his epic spells. That, plus being immune to mind-affecting attacks as a lich? Heck, he probably could have soloed the whole dungeon.

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

I honestly I have no idea who cannibal[SIC] is and I do not know why I should know.

syq dude, just syq!
Come to think of it, Eugene is also an illusionist making him next to useless against a lich

Rogue AI Goddess
May 10, 2012

I enjoy the sight of humans on their knees.
That was a joke... unless..?

ikanreed posted:

Come to think of it, Eugene is also an illusionist making him next to useless against a lich
He could use his expertise at impersonating cosmic beings and pretend to be the Dark One.

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

~SMcD

Huh, I just noticed something. In the flashback panels of Serini conferring with her old comrades, I noticed they are all wearing an orange ring. Wonder what that's for? Serini isn't wearing it in the other panels.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Gwyneth Palpate posted:

Huh, I just noticed something. In the flashback panels of Serini conferring with her old comrades, I noticed they are all wearing an orange ring. Wonder what that's for? Serini isn't wearing it in the other panels.

Huh, even Soon has one. That's a weirdly significant detail not being mentioned so it'll be something interesting. Probably not something that will bite the Order in the rear end, but something that will bring things together...

Lt. Lizard
Apr 28, 2013
It was a fashion at the time. Like an onion on the belt.

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Are... are you quite sure you really want to say that?
Taco Defender

Gwyneth Palpate posted:

Interesting catch. It seems like it has to either be, or have been very significant.

The boring answer is that it might just be a thing that pings the other rings when the bearer dies, and since Serini is the last one standing, there's no point wearing it anymore. But Girard's pyramid clearly had an indicator showing the status of the other gates, which is the important part, so that makes it seem less likely.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

I checked Start of Darkness and there's no signs of the rings there, but that was before the art style change...

HisMajestyBOB
Oct 21, 2010

College Slice

Gwyneth Palpate posted:

drat, that's subtle but clearly deliberate.

TheAceOfLungs
Aug 4, 2010
Maybe it was just a point in time when they were all married. Poor late Mr. Toormuk.

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

Soon lost his wife before they even became a party, and the marriage of a paladin is unbreakable even by death itself, so

goblin week
Jan 26, 2019

Absolute clown.

TheAceOfLungs posted:

Maybe it was just a point in time when they were all married. Poor late Mr. Toormuk.

Serini would be the type of person who’d post about how the amount of cruelty makes her believe that real monsters are people, there is no way

JuniperCake
Jan 26, 2013

HisMajestyBOB posted:

drat, that's subtle but clearly deliberate.

100%, especially with that one panel Soon shows up in. He's mostly obscured by his guards but Rich made sure the hand that had the ring was still clearly visible. There's absolutely something going on with that.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice
Probably some kind of communication device or how they're able to know when another member dies?

HisMajestyBOB
Oct 21, 2010

College Slice
Plausible, but the main issue I see with that theory is that they explicitly aren't communicating with each other outside of Serini (except Lirian and Dorukan). But I also can't think of anything else. Maybe the rings are connected with the gates somehow?

I double checked and Girard's skeleton in 846 is not wearing a ring (though part of one hand is covered by a speech balloon).

Ponsonby Britt
Mar 13, 2006
I think you mean, why is there silverware in the pancake drawer? Wassup?
Serini is also not wearing a ring in 1227, where she gets attacked by Xykon. She also explicitly says that she had a bunch of magic items on her that neither Xykon nor the trolls who rescued her took. So if she had the ring in the past, there's no evidence that she doesn't still have it.

riderchop
Aug 10, 2010

av by @daikonquest!
Hope Rich has a good Thxgiving

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

1291 - Threadbare