Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Collapsing Farts
Jun 29, 2018

💀
For the record Hamas cares a lot about broadcasting the war and have clearly given their soldiers orders to film as much as possible. There's a video out there of a Hamas soldier carrying a camera and then he gets killed by a sniper, so his partner immediately runs over and picks it up... and also gets killed on the spot. Then a third guy picks it up. They're willing to sacrifice their lives for this footage so it actually is strange that they don't have any footage of destroyed tanks because it would be a huge PR win for them

Though with how chaotic the war is I'm sure we'll start seeing destroyed tanks soon anyway

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin
A quick Google tells me the videos and pictures exist so I don't even know where the calls for photo evidence are coming from

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Well there's daily OS satellite footage of good enough quality that abandoned burnt out vehicles would be clearly identifiable, so at a minimum we can tell that the IDF is recovering any vehicles that do get hit.

Marenghi
Oct 16, 2008

Don't trust the liberals,
they will betray you
There's plenty of video evidence of IDF tanks getting smoked by tandem rockets.
Here's a supercut.

https://x.com/Partisangirl/status/1721191298106093872?s=20

It makes sense for Israel to be recovering them. Palestine is fighting a guerilla war, they can't deny Israel access to areas, just attack them by ambush where they are weak.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
That's the footage people are discussing already. No one is saying the tanks are not getting hit, they're questioning whether or not the hits are effective. A lot of videos from Syria for example showed trophy tank kills but nothing in that compilation shows an actual destroyed tank, only a tractor at the very end.

Vernii
Dec 7, 2006

The IDF has admitted to losing ~20 KIA and ~260 wounded in Gaza (which can be a range anywhere from being treated with first aid to 'technically alive') so clearly the weaponry being used against Israeli armor is effective.

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

Vernii posted:

The IDF has admitted to losing ~20 KIA and ~260 wounded in Gaza (which can be a range anywhere from being treated with first aid to 'technically alive') so clearly the weaponry being used against Israeli armor is effective.

The question is how much ammo do Hamas have and what losses do they suffer? If, unlike previous incursions, the IDF intend to 'finish the job' even if it costs them several thousand soldiers, provided Hamas' allies don't try to invade Israel, it's not like Hamas can win a war of attrition. ~20 KIA may sound dramatic for the usually casualty-averse IDF, but objectively it's a drop in the ocean. Also, it looks like Israel's wounded can be quickly moved to hospitals inside of Israel. If the IDF can also extract and repair damaged tanks, unless a tank is destroyed completely, even if Hamas damage 60 tanks a month, Israel could be able to rotate them for years on end. There is simply no way for Hamas to effectively Israel's military infrastructure or disrupt their logistics with the weapons they have, while they also don't have much infrastructure beyond the improvised assembly lines for their cheap rockets and, well, the tunnels.

Paladinus fucked around with this message at 18:12 on Nov 5, 2023

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

Vernii posted:

So you agree that Hamas has no power to seriously affect idf, as it suffers minuscule casualties, and that a big cool explosion, filmed, doesn’t actually mean anything but tinnitus happened inside?

Vernii
Dec 7, 2006

Paladinus posted:

The question is how much ammo do Hamas have and what losses do they suffer? If, unlike previous incursions, the IDF intend to 'finish the job' even if it costs them several thousand soldiers, provided Hamas' allies don't try to invade Israel, it's not like Hamas can win a war of attrition. ~20 KIA may sound dramatic for the usually casualty-averse IDF, but objectively it's a drop in the ocean. Also, it looks like Israel's wounded can be quickly moved to hospitals inside of Israel. If the IDF can also extract and repair damaged tanks, unless a tank is destroyed completely, even if Hamas damage 60 tanks a month, Israel could be able to rotate them for years on end. There is simply no way for Hamas to effectively Israel's military infrastructure or disrupt their logistics with the weapons they have, while they also don't have much infrastructure beyond the improvised assembly lines for their cheap rockets and, well, the tunnels.

If you're trying to get into hypotheticals, Israel's political will and economy will collapse before that point, they don't have the ability to sustain thousands of losses. Military operations do not exist in a vacuum.

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

So you agree that Hamas has no power to seriously affect idf, as it suffers minuscule casualties, and that a big cool explosion, filmed, doesn’t actually mean anything but tinnitus happened inside?

Where the hell did you get that impression from my post?

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

Herstory Begins Now posted:

no one on any side is suggesting that hamas has had literally zero success against Israeli vehicles, but at least against the tanks hamas and other groups have recorded a lot of attacks and there is a very conspicuous absence of evidence of those attacks successfully damaging or destroying a significant number of israeli tanks (at least post 10/7, they destroyed and damaged apparently more than a dozen on 10/7). I'm not suggesting anything specific be read into that since there are about a billion reasons why that could be the case or why that could merely appear to be the case. With that said, destroyed tanks are incredibly conspicuous and if hamas was having a particularly significant success rate in their attacks on tanks there'd be a lot more damaged or destroyed tanks showing up.

I'm not sure where that evidence would come from, aside from IDF soldiers (who are unlikely to be taking and posting photos of their own losses) and Hamas combatants (who are relying on stealth to carry out surprise attacks on tanks, and are therefore unlikely to stick around long enough to take photos).

If there was much urban combat going on, we'd probably see more combat footage turning up regardless, but from what limited info we have, the IDF is mostly operating in the sparsely populated agricultural areas surrounding Gaza City right now. Not a lot of spectators around.

As Ograbme pointed out, in an real warzone it's actually quite difficult to reliably know whether you took out an enemy vehicle or not. In the heat of battle, no one has time to sit around and wait to see just how much damage that explosion actually did. Overclaiming kills is pretty standard even among conventional militaries, especially when they don't win control of the territory being fought over and thus aren't able to confirm destroyed vehicles or prevent the enemy from recovering repairable vehicles.

I will say this much, though: if the IDF is sending in tanks without infantry support, then they are absolutely losing tanks, Trophy or no Trophy. Infantry support is a fundamental piece of tank doctrine for a reason. Even with newfangled top-of-the-line modern tech, tanks are still fundamentally vulnerable to infantry sneaking up on them with anti-tank weapons, and there's only so much that can be done to compensate for that weakness.

This does not mean that Hamas is slaughtering Israeli tanks en masse, of course. Even if Israel is taking losses, that doesn't mean the IDF is on the verge of defeat or anything like that.

Stringent posted:

Is there any particular reason to consider whatever information is coming out of the IDF to be more reliable/less propagandist than whatever's coming out of Hamas? Not a rhetorical question, I'd really like to know if there's a rationale behind it.

I don't think there's any reason to think that they're making up fake casualties that didn't happen.

They might be delaying casualty reports, or leaving out details, sure. But that's why I'm only using them to determine "are armored vehicles being destroyed?" and not "how many armored vehicles are being destroyed?".

Irony Be My Shield posted:

It seems unlikely to me that Hamas can literally walk up directly next to a working tank and place a grenade on it, but that the resulting burnt-out tanks are so perfectly defended that not a single person can get within line-of-sight to take a photo of one (and then the IDF sweeps up the wreckage extremely quickly? Or this zone of absolute control lasts indefinitely?). I'd also note that in the compilation video I saw there for a lot of them there is no evidence of the anti-tank crew retreating - you see them shoot, you see the explosion, and then the video cuts before the smoke clears.

These aren't solo tanks driving around. They don't have infantry support, but they're moving in groups. The other tanks that are nearby might not notice a lone infantryman creeping up on one of them, but they'll sure as gently caress notice the explosion and start sweeping the area for threats. Rule 1 of being a guy with an anti-tank weapon is that you book it the gently caress out of there basically the instant there's any chance the tanks know where you are. And there isn't much indication that the IDF is sending significant forces into areas it's not planning to capture. They occupied the area around Gaza City, but we haven't heard about them doing much beyond that, just scattered raids and incursions.

If an IDF tank is damaged or destroyed, they're absolutely going to recover it if they can. And they have overwhelming firepower superiority and aren't aggressively pushing into territory they don't hold and don't plan to hold, so they typically can.

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
That's in the active voice, right? Passive voice would be, like, "Many Casualties in Dense Neighborhood Were Caused by Airstrike, Gazans Say." I'm awed in a horrified way at how the NYT will dodge attributing responsibility while remaining in the active.

Marenghi posted:

Here's a supercut.
I'm sure they're losing some tanks and vehicles but these are like pinpricks in a larger context, and Partisan Girl is like Ben-Gvir or one of those far-right Israeli politicians posting airstrike compilations as evidence for how Israel is driving their enemies before them to the sound of the lamentations of their women. They want to believe they're going to win, or that part of the war itself is creating this impression of racking up the wins. Speaking of that, there's a whole genre of girl fans for militaristic regimes on Twitter. I saw one the other day who was Jewish (from Iran originally) who wants to nuke Iran and she'd post a lot of memes of Based Chad IDF soldiers grinning widely with cartoon missiles killing Hezbollah guys. That stuff freaks me out.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

BrutalistMcDonalds posted:

That's in the active voice, right? Passive voice would be, like, "Many Casualties in Dense Neighborhood Were Caused by Airstrike, Gazans Say." I'm awed in a horrified way at how the NYT will dodge attributing responsibility while remaining in the active.

I'm sure they're losing some tanks and vehicles but these are like pinpricks in a larger context, and Partisan Girl is like Ben-Gvir or one of those far-right Israeli politicians posting airstrike compilations as evidence for how Israel is driving their enemies before them to the sound of the lamentations of their women. They want to believe they're going to win, or that part of the war itself is creating this impression of racking up the wins. Speaking of that, there's a whole genre of girl fans for militaristic regimes on Twitter. I saw one the other day who was Jewish (from Iran originally) who wants to nuke Iran and she'd post a lot of memes of Based Chad IDF soldiers grinning widely with cartoon missiles killing Hezbollah guys. That stuff freaks me out.

At least one of the times the IDF decided to massacre more Palestinians this was actually an officially funded part of the IDF's PR. Like "hey gorgeous young Israeli women paint and show off your rear end for the IDF" was a thing on Twitter.

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

Vernii posted:

If you're trying to get into hypotheticals, Israel's political will and economy will collapse before that point, they don't have the ability to sustain thousands of losses. Military operations do not exist in a vacuum.

Obviously, I was only talking about military capabilities, although I imagine billions of dollars graciously provided by Israel's Western allies would help with the whole economy collapsing thing. Meanwhile, Gaza's economy is not just crippled or on the verge of collapse, it literally lies in ruin. Whether Israel 'eliminates Hamas' or not is immaterial if they can keep up their presence in Gaza over a long period and kill a hundred of civilians for every militant.

side_burned
Nov 3, 2004

My mother is a fish.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bgk4QWRIVFE
Anyone know large this protest was?

Muscle Tracer
Feb 23, 2007

Medals only weigh one down.

BrutalistMcDonalds posted:

Yeah there's no necessary connection between active/passive voice and attribution. "Many killed by Israeli airstrike" is passive, but "Explosion kills many" is active. It's just a matter of word order, the words themselves can be anything. NO idea what could cause a massive explosion in an area actively being bombed by a first-world military :iiam:

Honestly it's progress enough to see 'Gazans' as the source, instead of, you know, 'Hamas spokesman' or whatever.

Grip it and rip it
Apr 28, 2020

Marenghi posted:

Here's a supercut.

https://x.com/Partisangirl/status/1721191298106093872?s=20

It makes sense for Israel to be recovering them. Palestine is fighting a guerilla war, they can't deny Israel access to areas, just attack them by ambush where they are weak.

Ah @partisangirl, I haven't seen posts from this crazy moron in years. I just ne of innately distrust anything they claim or state becUse they loving suck.

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa

Main Paineframe posted:

These aren't solo tanks driving around. They don't have infantry support, but they're moving in groups. The other tanks that are nearby might not notice a lone infantryman creeping up on one of them, but they'll sure as gently caress notice the explosion and start sweeping the area for threats. Rule 1 of being a guy with an anti-tank weapon is that you book it the gently caress out of there basically the instant there's any chance the tanks know where you are. And there isn't much indication that the IDF is sending significant forces into areas it's not planning to capture. They occupied the area around Gaza City, but we haven't heard about them doing much beyond that, just scattered raids and incursions.

If an IDF tank is damaged or destroyed, they're absolutely going to recover it if they can. And they have overwhelming firepower superiority and aren't aggressively pushing into territory they don't hold and don't plan to hold, so they typically can.

Another hazard for ambusher is that RPGs and missile launchers have a backblast that in dusty environment is very hard to conceal. On top of that, vehicles with Trophy countermeasure system can use their radars to automatically determine where a projectile came from and share this information with others in the network. This doesn't give much time to GTFO, much less to stay there to document the results. Camera drones might be better for this, though IDF radio jammers might make their use difficult.

quote:

Use of the system as a target locator

The radar system of the Trophy technology searches, detects, and classifies incoming projectile risk. It feeds all data to the vehicle's onboard computer and also to an external network for data sharing among other supporting units.

This ability is able to alert both a specific vehicle's crew and the larger combat formation regarding such incoming threats, and the specifics of ‘shooter locations’ - makes this system highly effective for both single vehicles and by larger combat groups.

This data sharing and shooter location assist in the units combat effectiveness – allowing other assets to acquire the hostile target and not just a single armored vehicle. Trophy can identify if a threat will miss the targeted platform, in this case – it will not activate the countermeasure but provides shared location data, enabling rapid engagement by the full combat team.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

I too get my news from *checks notes* an Australian paid by the Assad regime to promote the use of chemical weapons on civilians?

Stanley Pain
Jun 16, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
From those videos they are most likely shooting some form of HEAT rounds for the RPGs, and firing them at very close range. It should be effective vs. those tanks. I feel like the videos do cut off a bit abruptly, but I think it's more likely that the person filming came under fire moments after the tank getting hit.

https://roe.ru/eng/catalog/land-forces/strelkovoe-oruzhie/grenade-launchers/pg-29v/

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
SOME REALLY TEDIOUS DUMB SHIT THAT SUCKS ASS TO READ ->>

Stanley Pain posted:

From those videos they are most likely shooting some form of HEAT rounds for the RPGs, and firing them at very close range. It should be effective vs. those tanks. I feel like the videos do cut off a bit abruptly, but I think it's more likely that the person filming came under fire moments after the tank getting hit.

https://roe.ru/eng/catalog/land-forces/strelkovoe-oruzhie/grenade-launchers/pg-29v/

setting aside that the video linked above is being posted by the likes of partisangirl and jackson hinkle, it shows them firing mostly the locally made tandem 105s (which the video is explicitly intended to be a promotion for) which are influenced by the pg-29v but i would not just assume that they are equally capable. the previous versions of the hamas domestic production tandem rounds were, in practical terms, modified pg7v rounds rather than an entirely new creation. exactly how capable they are is a huge open question, hence why there's a messaging effort ongoing around that exact point

Main Paineframe posted:

I'm not sure where that evidence would come from, aside from IDF soldiers (who are unlikely to be taking and posting photos of their own losses) and Hamas combatants (who are relying on stealth to carry out surprise attacks on tanks, and are therefore unlikely to stick around long enough to take photos).

If there was much urban combat going on, we'd probably see more combat footage turning up regardless, but from what limited info we have, the IDF is mostly operating in the sparsely populated agricultural areas surrounding Gaza City right now. Not a lot of spectators around.

As Ograbme pointed out, in an real warzone it's actually quite difficult to reliably know whether you took out an enemy vehicle or not. In the heat of battle, no one has time to sit around and wait to see just how much damage that explosion actually did. Overclaiming kills is pretty standard even among conventional militaries, especially when they don't win control of the territory being fought over and thus aren't able to confirm destroyed vehicles or prevent the enemy from recovering repairable vehicles.

I will say this much, though: if the IDF is sending in tanks without infantry support, then they are absolutely losing tanks, Trophy or no Trophy. Infantry support is a fundamental piece of tank doctrine for a reason. Even with newfangled top-of-the-line modern tech, tanks are still fundamentally vulnerable to infantry sneaking up on them with anti-tank weapons, and there's only so much that can be done to compensate for that weakness.

This does not mean that Hamas is slaughtering Israeli tanks en masse, of course. Even if Israel is taking losses, that doesn't mean the IDF is on the verge of defeat or anything like that.

yeah I'm talking purely in terms of what there is clear evidence for, which at the moment is very thin for, yeah, quite a variety of reasons.

Setting aside the specific point of hard evidence I think we're basically in agreement, I don't doubt at all that Israel is losing vehicles and if anything I come down quite heavily on the side of Hamas having the capacity to do very real damage to the IDF (albeit probably at a horrific cost, the degree of asymmetry is a lot to overcome), though likely not enough to stop the IDF from flattening Gaza. Hamas has the fight that they've been preparing for for years and they've smuggled in and built weapons for this exact purpose and they are motivated and have access to additional training and resources from groups that have as much experience in asymmetric warfare as anyone alive. Given how untested the IDF is against enemies that fight back and indeed inexperienced in general, it's a recipe for a bunch of costly fuckups.

Herstory Begins Now fucked around with this message at 22:55 on Nov 5, 2023

TheWeedNumber
Apr 20, 2020

by sebmojo
Sick, there’s a boomer in the AO now.

https://x.com/centcom/status/1721271207260033230?s=46

Nm, just a SSGN

TheWeedNumber fucked around with this message at 23:01 on Nov 5, 2023

BougieBitch
Oct 2, 2013

Basic as hell

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

No, it relies on the assumption that after a month the destroyed israeli tanks might be seen and documented by someone, there must be at least one, because everyone has a phone even in Gaza

So far no good, they sabotaged on the 7th and the IDF rolls on, Merkavas intact

Apologies for quoting while you can't reply, but the tanks in question here only moved into Gaza in the last week or so - the events of the 7th aren't really pertinent to the current conversation

Hong XiuQuan
Feb 19, 2008

"Without justice for the Palestinians there will be no peace in the Middle East."

Stanley Pain posted:

Folks, as far as I know, these tanks don't tend to travel solo (even if infantry aren't out and about). If they're successfully (or unsuccessfully) hitting them and getting kills, they absolutely do not want to be hanging about taking selfies while Yoni and Yael figure out what's happening.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin
This thread seems to think that a destroyed or downed tank goes up in flames and there's black pillars of smoke like they're searching for a Pope, when the reality is much less cinematic.
In real life a tank just has a big hole in it, and the tank next to it drags it away

Kunabomber
Oct 1, 2002

Pillbug
i expect the top part to shoot up like a champagne cork and come crashing down

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
they claim to have destroyed 6 more tanks today

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang

HootTheOwl posted:

This thread seems to think that a destroyed or downed tank goes up in flames and there's black pillars of smoke like they're searching for a Pope, when the reality is much less cinematic.
In real life a tank just has a big hole in it, and the tank next to it drags it away

This is absolutely worth bearing in mind. Tanks don't have to be destroyed to be knocked out. They can be 'killed' and they can be 'mobility killed,' or just damaged in a way to render them temporarily unfit for combat. Knocking out a tank doesn't have to look particularly spectacular from the outside. And given modern designs, knocking one out is not guaranteed to result in dead or wounded crews.

Tuna-Fish
Sep 13, 2017

HootTheOwl posted:

Er. There are a lot of counterexamples for this from N-K and Ukraine. Tanks are absolutely full of explosives, and if you manage to set them off, the explosion will be gigantic. Turrets occasionally fly up 50 meters. Of course, Israeli tanks have much better compartmentalization and crew protection than Soviet-made ones. Still, the blowout panels mean that any ammunition detonation will be very dramatic-looking, even if the crew is fine.

Still, the reaction trained into a lot of people from seeing a lot of footage from Armenia and Ukraine is that if someone shows you a video of something hitting a tank, a fireball engulfing the tank, and then footage cuts out before the fire is gone, that's not a tank kill, that's a tank inconveniencing, and you can bet your rear end that eventually there is going to be footage from another angle on the same situation which shows the tank driving off and possibly engaging whatever inconvenienced it.

Of course, this conflict is different in that only one side has substantial amount of recon drones up, and Israelis don't want to show off their own losses, so Hamas probably needs to be given a bit more benefit of the doubt than usual about their claims.

Kunabomber
Oct 1, 2002

Pillbug
And if a tank is damaged, it probably has a longer time to repair than say a Sherman from WW2 due to the various procedures, systems, checklist/testing requirements, etc

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

Kunabomber posted:

i expect the top part to shoot up like a champagne cork and come crashing down

That's apparently a bug specific to Soviet-era tanks (which even the modernized T-90 stuff counts since it's just upgraded T-80 and T-72 designs), because of the ammo carousels underneath the turret. Almost everyone else started designing their ammo storage around blow-out panels, which caused their turrets to balloon and the Merkava was no exception.

skipmyseashells
Nov 14, 2020
Probation
Can't post for 18 hours!

Paladinus posted:

Hamas doesn’t have a real army. Hope this helps

Saros
Dec 29, 2009

Its almost like we're a Bureaucracy, in space!

I set sail for the Planet of Lab Requisitions!!

Tuna-Fish posted:

Er. There are a lot of counterexamples for this from N-K and Ukraine. Tanks are absolutely full of explosives, and if you manage to set them off, the explosion will be gigantic. Turrets occasionally fly up 50 meters. Of course, Israeli tanks have much better compartmentalization and crew protection than Soviet-made ones. Still, the blowout panels mean that any ammunition detonation will be very dramatic-looking, even if the crew is fine.

Part of this is specific Russian/Soviet tanks were built in such a way that they have a much lower profile but in exchange are much more likely to suffer from flying turret syndrome. Like you said Merkavas are the opposite they have a really unique internal layout that amongst other things does a good job of preventing catastrophic ammo cook-off.

[E] dangit, teach me to fully read the replies first.

Saros fucked around with this message at 01:09 on Nov 6, 2023

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!
Many pages ago, but someone asked about the prophecy of Isaiah that Netanyahu referenced. The relevant bit in the context of religious Zionism is Isaiah 66:6-17. That and several preceding chapters reflect on the rebuilding of the Temple in Jerusalem, and there is an obvious theme of return to the promised land. So, no, Bibi wasn't implying he was a Messiah, he was just trotting out an old classic.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead
Sydney Morning Herald seems reliable and is claiming a ballistic missile from Yemen was shot down by the Iron Dome

https://www.smh.com.au/world/middle-east/in-a-first-israel-shoots-down-a-ballistic-missile-in-space-20231106-p5ehs1.html

Not sure how excited I am if the Houthis are in fact going to get in on the bombardment game

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
1) that's from 5 days ago 2) literally the first sentence says it is not an iron dome shootdown

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead
well, egg on my face then

MuadDib Atreides
Apr 22, 2023

by Fluffdaddy
Why is Blameless B at the helm of this genocide?

Willo567
Feb 5, 2015

Cheating helped me fail the test and stay on the show.

TheWeedNumber posted:

Sick, there’s a boomer in the AO now.

https://x.com/centcom/status/1721271207260033230?s=46

Nm, just a SSGN

Are the subs both conventional and nuclear attack subs?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010
Not a lot of detail out about it yet, but the Palestinian telecoms company says Israel cut off communications in Gaza again:

https://www.jpost.com/breaking-news/article-771820

quote:

Palestinian telecommunications company Paltel said on Sunday that all communications and internet services have been cut again within the Gaza Strip.

"The main routes that were previously reconnected (were) cut off again from the Israeli side," it said.

Meanwhile, Netanyahu seems to be getting increasingly frustrated with Otzma Yehudit, who are making basically no effort at all to play along with Israel's PR needs.

A couple of days ago, he reportedly scolded Ben-Gvir for downplaying the ongoing epidemic of settler violence in the West Bank:

quote:

National Security Minister Itamar Ben Gvir tried to downplay the phenomenon of deadly settler violence when the head of the Shin Bet Ronen Bar raised concerns at a recent cabinet meeting, Channel 12 reported Friday.

Ben Gvir, the leader of the far-right Otzma Yehudit party, reportedly asked why so much attention needed to be given to the “graffiti” Israeli youth are daubing on Palestinian property.

Upon hearing this, Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu quickly shot down Ben Gvir and told him the settler violence is much more serious than that, Channel 12 reported.

The outlet said the premier implored security chiefs in the room to do more to combat settler violence.

According to Channel 12, Bar has alerted the war cabinet, wider cabinet, and the defense establishment about concerns of an eruption of violence in the West Bank, noting an increase in settler violence and clashes with Palestinians amid the ongoing Israel-Hamas war.

The report came hours after US Secretary of State Antony Blinken said that Israeli leaders had assured him that they will condemn attacks on Palestinian civilians and take action to curb the phenomenon and to hold perpetrators accountable.

“Extremist violence against Palestinians must be stopped,” he said. “We will be looking closely to ensure that our friends make good on that commitment.”

The US State Department said Blinken and war cabinet minister Benny Gantz discussed efforts to “maintain calm and stability in the West Bank,” during their Friday meeting.

Additionally, US President Joe Biden has urged Netanyahu during phone calls to ensure that Israeli authorities are preventing growing incidents of settler violence, fearing that spiraling tensions in the West Bank could significantly exacerbate the war, the Axios news site reported last week.

Israel’s Yesh Din rights group said Friday that there had been over 172 incidents of settler violence and harassment against Palestinians in at least 84 Palestinian towns and communities in the West Bank since Hamas’s savage and murderous assault on Israel on October 7, which sparked a war with the terror group.

An off-duty IDF soldier was arrested by military police on Sunday on suspicion of shooting dead Palestinian man Bilal Muhammed Saleh, who had reportedly been harvesting olives near the northern West Bank village of As-Sawiya on October 28. There have been no reports of other arrests.

According to the PA health ministry, some 130 West Bank Palestinians have been killed by Israeli forces, and in some cases settlers, since October 7.

And now today he's suspended Amichai Eliyahu from cabinet meetings after making a number of comments that ranged from obvious political blunders to downright genocidal rhetoric. He said that "there is no such thing as uninvolved civilians in Gaza" and that "we wouldn’t hand the Nazis humanitarian aid", he suggested that nuking Gaza shouldn't be ruled out, he stated that the lives of hostages were less important than the lives of soldiers, and he said that Israel should reoccupy and resettle Gaza and that the Palestinian population that would be displaced by that should go to "Ireland or deserts". Real fuckin class act there.

quote:

Far-right minister says nuking Gaza an option, PM suspends him from cabinet meetings
Heritage minister asks why lives of hostages more important than troops; Netanyahu: Comments ‘detached from reality’; meanwhile, Smotrich says Israel will control Gaza post-war

Heritage Minister Amichai Eliyahu said Sunday that one of Israel’s options in the war against Hamas could be to drop a nuclear bomb on the Gaza Strip, in comments that were quickly disavowed by Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu, who also suspended the minister from cabinet meetings.

Eliyahu, a member of National Security Minister Itamar Ben Gvir’s far-right Otzma Yehudit (Jewish Power) party, was speaking in an answer to a question in a radio interview.

“Your expectation is that tomorrow morning we’d drop what amounts to some kind a nuclear bomb on all of Gaza, flattening them, eliminating everybody there…,” the Radio Kol Berama interviewer said.

“That’s one way,” Eliyahu responded. “The second way is to work out what’s important to them, what scares them, what deters them… They’re not scared of death.”

Eliyahu does not have any connection to the three-member war cabinet directing the war against the Hamas terror group, nor is he part of the broader security cabinet.

When it was pointed out to the minister that there are some 240 hostages currently held in the Gaza Strip, Eliyahu doubled down.

“I pray and hope for their return, but there is a price to be paid in war,” he said. “Why are the lives of the abductees, whose release I really want, more important than the lives of the soldiers and the people who will be murdered later?”

Eliyahu also voiced objection to allowing any humanitarian aid into Gaza, saying, “we wouldn’t hand the Nazis humanitarian aid,” and charging that “there is no such thing as uninvolved civilians in Gaza.”

He also backed retaking the Strip and rebuilding the Israeli settlements that existed there before Israel withdrew from the area unilaterally in 2005, and when asked about the fate of the Palestinian population, he said: “They can go to Ireland or deserts; the monsters in Gaza should find a solution by themselves.”

Eliyahu also said the northern part of the Strip has no right to exist, adding that anyone waving a Palestinian or Hamas flag “shouldn’t continue to live on the face of the earth.

Netanyahu was quick to reject Eliyahu’s claim that dropping a nuclear bomb on the Gaza Strip was a possibility.

“Amichai Eliyahu’s words are detached from reality,” Netanyahu said in a statement. “Israel and the IDF are acting in accordance with the highest standards of international law in order to prevent harm to uninvolved people, and we will continue to do that all the way to victory.”

Defense Minister Yoav Gallant also condemned the “baseless and irresponsible” remarks in a post on X, adding he was glad “these are not the people in charge of Israel’s security.”

Opposition Leader Yair Lapid called on Netanyahu to fire Eliyahu, branding his comments “a horrifying and insane remark by an irresponsible minister.”

“He offended the families of the captives [being held in Gaza], offended Israeli society and harmed our international standing,” Lapid said. “The presence of the extremists in the government endangers us and the success of the war goals — defeating Hamas and returning the hostages.

“Netanyahu must fire him this morning,” the opposition leader said.

National Unity leader Minister Benny Gantz, a member of the war cabinet, also attacked Eliyahu’s comments.

“Eliyahu’s unnecessary and irresponsible statement is detrimental to the path and values ​​of Israel, causes heavy political damage and, worst of all, adds to the pain of the families of those abducted from their homes,” he wrote on X, the social media site formerly known as Twitter.

MK Mansour Abbas, leader of the Arab Ra’am party, said that Eliyahu was echoing a sentiment expressed by other officials, and expressed concerns that his comments dehumanized Gazans.

“Eliyahu’s words about bombing Gaza with an atomic bomb were heard in different versions on the television screens from other people,” Abbas claimed on X.

“Dehumanization and collective punishment is the way to genocide and war crimes. There will be a day after the war — it is not the end of history and it is not Armageddon,” he wrote. “I am sure, and believe from the bottom of my heart, that there will still be peace and reconciliation between the two peoples.”

Amid the growing outrage, the Prime Minister’s Office announced that Eliyahu was suspended from cabinet meetings indefinitely. It was unclear if he would still be able to participate in phone votes.

Government ministers told the Ynet news site that the suspension was meaningless.

“This is a joke, there barely are any cabinet meetings anyway, and most of the work is being done in rounds of votes by phone,” an unnamed minister was quoted as saying.

A cabinet meeting scheduled for Sunday has been canceled, with no alternative date set.

Eliyahu later attempted to walk back his assertion, tweeting that “it is clear to all sensible people that the statement about the atom is metaphorical.”

“However, a strong and disproportionate response to terrorism is definitely required, which will clarify to the Nazis and their supporters that terrorism doesn’t pay,” he wrote.

“This is the only formula that democratic states can use to deal with terrorism. At the same time, it is clear that the State of Israel is committed to doing everything possible to return the hostages safe and sound,” Eliyahu wrote.

The far-right minister has a history of incendiary and offensive comments.

Earlier this year he called Bank of Israel governor Amir Yaron a “savage” and said he was causing damage to the State of Israel and should be fired, after Yaron raised the alarm about government’s controversial judicial overhaul program.

In April he accused top security officials of “rebelling” against the coalition.

Eliyahu is the scion of a prominent national-religious family — the grandson of Rabbi Mordechai Eliyahu, a former chief Sephardic rabbi of Israel, and the son of Rabbi Shmuel Eliyahu, the rabbi of the northern city of Safed and a leading far-right ideologue.

Eliyahu’s father has been known for controversial statements and rulings on Jewish law, including one that forbade the rental or sale of Jewish-owned property in Safed to Arabs. He has also criticized the Reform movement, the LGBTQ community, and women serving in IDF combat units.

Meanwhile, far-right Finance Minister Bezalel Smotrich asserted Saturday that Israel “will control Gaza after the war.”

“I will not invest a shekel in shielding the Gaza border area,” said Smotrich, implying that it will not be necessary after the conclusion of the war.

“The most important thing is that there will be no more Hamas, that the Strip will be under the operational control of the IDF for years, and that we will not return to the same misconceptions,” he told Channel 12. “We will be there, we will rule there and we will maintain security.”