Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Envgard
Jan 22, 2015
Picked this up for PS5 and im loving it. But question for PC people. Do the npcs get stuck on terrain constantly on PC? Im almost to the end of the first month and it happens nonstop. Not sure if its because of the holiday decorations or what but they just get stuck then eventually warp to their destination. Also Cooper was just a floating head for a while but reloading fixed that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FrickenMoron
May 6, 2009

Good game!

Envgard posted:

Picked this up for PS5 and im loving it. But question for PC people. Do the npcs get stuck on terrain constantly on PC? Im almost to the end of the first month and it happens nonstop. Not sure if its because of the holiday decorations or what but they just get stuck then eventually warp to their destination. Also Cooper was just a floating head for a while but reloading fixed that.

Consoles have the september build which had notorious pathfinding issues. It's much better on PC right now, the update is scheduled for mid december or so.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
Make sure to donate to the church on days they have the donation box out. The 2000 gols is well worth the relationship points you get with a ton of people at once, which can also have the cascade effect of making others like you more when their family/buds like you.

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

The real power behind countless overlords

Are there any good generic gifts like the sashimi in SV or the flowers in Portia?

The way how much people like gifts decreases if you give them the same gift (is it twice in a row or twice in the same week or ...) makes it really hard to tell what gifts are good and which aren't. Also, I'm starting to hate the critters card game even though its the best source of friendship points I've found so far.

Sparring is good too, but it takes somewhere between 30 minutes and an hour per sparring match. Also some people seem to give less points if you fight them on successive days (Yan in particular is giving one less point for beating him in a spar every day. I guess I'll try giving him a few days to cool off and see if he improves).

FrickenMoron
May 6, 2009

Good game!

LLSix posted:

Are there any good generic gifts like the sashimi in SV or the flowers in Portia?

The way how much people like gifts decreases if you give them the same gift (is it twice in a row or twice in the same week or ...) makes it really hard to tell what gifts are good and which aren't. Also, I'm starting to hate the critters card game even though its the best source of friendship points I've found so far.

Sparring is good too, but it takes somewhere between 30 minutes and an hour per sparring match. Also some people seem to give less points if you fight them on successive days (Yan in particular is giving one less point for beating him in a spar every day. I guess I'll try giving him a few days to cool off and see if he improves).

Gold and Diamonds work on pretty much everyone outside of some guy that joins act 3. Other than that its pretty specific, people usually like stuff they work with if its their job. Honestly, just talk to them daily and gift something generic like a bloodstone / quartz, nobody dislikes shiny stones. Just alternate because giving the same gift more than once in a row runs risk of being downgraded a tier. Also holidays/birthdays give double and triple points. Your main source of social points will be commissions and quests.

Also Macchiato the cat loves guns and bombs, dont mess with that one.

FrickenMoron fucked around with this message at 21:57 on Nov 5, 2023

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬

LLSix posted:

Stone troughs.

While it only gives +2 relationship it has the advantage of being virtually universal and dirt cheap to make. You can crank out like 40 and be pretty much set for the week.

Sylphosaurus
Sep 6, 2007
Since I was thinking about actually finishing My time in Portia before starting Sandrock I was just wondering if there are any of the bachelorettes that has more story when you date and marry them? I got the impression that there are some that basically stop having a personality once they get married.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬
Owen seems like the best male Batchelor, he's got a great voice and just seems like a real mensch. But I'm not so sure about the female batchelorettes, they don't seem quite as interesting.

Bussamove
Feb 25, 2006

Romance Mi-An, build an empire together.

Alternatively romance Grace and have her accidentally burn that empire to the ground.

FrickenMoron
May 6, 2009

Good game!
Mi-an sadly has very little personal content outside of 2 sorta romantic quests. The latest patch notes said that quests for Heidi, Elsie, catori and a few others had been added.

Before that Nia had the most hands down on the ladies side while Fang and Logan have the most for the men.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬

Bussamove posted:

Romance Mi-An, build an empire together.

Alternatively romance Grace and have her accidentally burn that empire to the ground.

I thought Grace turns out to be an undercover narc or something? .

Mi-An seems like the obvious choice and Catori is neat but I can't stand her voice. Architect lady also has a rather unsexy drawl which is weird because the rest of her family doesn't sound like that.

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Spider-Man's Amazing Construction Company
the difference in voice acting between some of the lines that were recorded for Pablo prior and the ones that were recorded for the current patch is, uh... jarring

FrickenMoron
May 6, 2009

Good game!
Mort has like 3 different VAs I swear.

Bussamove
Feb 25, 2006

Panfilo posted:

I thought Grace turns out to be an undercover narc or something? .

Caveat I have not actually done any of Grace’s stuff.

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

wish Lowtax would get tired of YOUR POSTS

(n o i c e)
Janky voice acting should just be part of the series.

FrickenMoron
May 6, 2009

Good game!

Bussamove posted:

Caveat I have not actually done any of Grace’s stuff.

It's technically a story spoiler.

Edit: a few of the VAs hang out on the discord and are pretty charming people to talk to.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

FrickenMoron posted:

Mi-an sadly has very little personal content outside of 2 sorta romantic quests. The latest patch notes said that quests for Heidi, Elsie, catori and a few others had been added.

Before that Nia had the most hands down on the ladies side while Fang and Logan have the most for the men.

Nia was weird, seems like she pretty much hung out in that apartment all day once they added her, like she never meshed with the rest of cast at all or seemed to do anything lol.

ajkalan
Aug 17, 2011

FrickenMoron posted:

Mort has like 3 different VAs I swear.

I think he literally does, yes!

(One of them might be the worst fake old-man voice I've ever heard.)

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
Miguel is the best marriage candidate. At least until the devs respond to the petition to add Yan romance.

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

I decided to give the treasure chest map marking skill a chance.

It seems like the chest icon on the map is supposed to be a little chest (tested by going and looking at a chest indoors then checking that location on the map). However, chests don't seem to show up on the outdoor maps. Which makes the skill even worse when it already seems nearly useless since once you've found all the chests it's just a wasted skill point.

Anyone else try it out?

Edit: I went around and opened every chest in town I hadn't already. The 2nd tier "chance to get a large amount of Gols" never triggered. Possible with the way it got nerfed down to 10% chance of triggering, but still seems like a waste of skill points even if it's a meaningful amount of money due to the low chance of activating combined with the small number of chests in the game - even if it does work on dungeon chests, there aren't that many of them.

LLSix fucked around with this message at 03:03 on Nov 6, 2023

Nick Buntline
Dec 20, 2007
Doesn't know the impossible.

chests only show up when you're within a certain radius of them, so indoors ones will pretty much always show up if you're in the building but other ones will require you to be in the vicinity first

re: long-term, iirc it also works on chests in dungeons?

Caidin
Oct 29, 2011
I've kinda hit a bottleneck where too many people want crap that needs rubber to make and my only source seems to be chests in the Breach for a pittance or the mixed junk pile out by Eufaula for scrap, am I missing a better spot for it? I'm still in the first month and building that tram car for Justice right now.

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

Caidin posted:

I've kinda hit a bottleneck where too many people want crap that needs rubber to make and my only source seems to be chests in the Breach for a pittance or the mixed junk pile out by Eufaula for scrap, am I missing a better spot for it? I'm still in the first month and building that tram car for Justice right now.

You can smash the rubber tires you see with a hammer to get rubber salvage too. There's usually one inside the scrap yard and a couple near the fishing hole by the scrap yard.

A GIANT PARSNIP
Apr 13, 2010

Too much fuckin' eggnog

Khanstant posted:

Make sure to donate to the church on days they have the donation box out. The 2000 gols is well worth the relationship points you get with a ton of people at once, which can also have the cascade effect of making others like you more when their family/buds like you.

How does this work? I've looked around but can't find any information on how family / friend relationships help boost your relationships with others.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬

A GIANT PARSNIP posted:

How does this work? I've looked around but can't find any information on how family / friend relationships help boost your relationships with others.

Don't recall the exact triggers but when you do certain quests or hit certain friendship thresholds you also get bonus friendship points for everyone connected to them.

I've been away from the game too long, wasted time researching stations in the wrong order. once you get the T1 stations, best to progress like this:

T2 workstation>T2 Smelter>T2 recycler>the rest. Half the T2 stations need some steel to make, which you can't get without either a recycler or a smelter. And to build those you need bloodstone cores which require the upgraded workstation. It's not super necessary or anything just aggrivating to start the bridge repair mission only to be 2+ days from being able to produce steel still.

Bussamove
Feb 25, 2006

LLSix posted:

You can smash the rubber tires you see with a hammer to get rubber salvage too. There's usually one inside the scrap yard and a couple near the fishing hole by the scrap yard.

I’ve also seen them spawning around the deadwood near the oasis.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

A GIANT PARSNIP posted:

Essentially when you go up a tier with one person, it gives a bonus to people in their network, to varying degrees. Like if I gain a heart level with cooper, it'll give +X points to Elsie and Mabel, and slightly less for whoever else is friends with coop. The church donations add several points to many people at once and sometimes like using same example, you bump to friends with cooper, which gives enough to bump up Elsie, who in turn gives enough to bump up Mabel and Cooper is a little bit ahead now too.

They also added a social perk to increase that gain by 20%. Better earlier you get it.

The treasure chest bonus perk is definitely not worth it even early, chests are too rare and one-off to gamble on. Gols usually aren't a bottleneck and I buy water and some unfarmable items everyday.

Speaking of water, the first round of water for sale at water tower is always cheaper and is worth buying daily. After the first batch the price rises, but if you're buying the cheap water every day you shouldn't need to double dip often.

Caidin
Oct 29, 2011
Why is Geegler President not a eligible bachelor?!

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬
One of my current gripes is that coming back from EA is the skill tree still feels underwhelming. I don't feel like it scales well at all. By midgame you are not going to be rummaging through piles and whatnot, there's enough things the stores sell you can just brute force quests with money which isn't hard to accumulate.

Conversely the skills that are actually decent can be rushed very quickly and you're left with a bunch of forgettable niche bonuses to unlock. For example getting social xp is a slog but that's fine because you can unlock +1 commission pretty early and it's so devastatingly effective through the rest of the game. +20% total operation speed is also really good compared to others.

A big thing about these is that they apply every day all the time vs a specific action. Weirdly the specific action skills often feel very weak on top of how niche they are. And like I said, many skills get obsolete very quickly; - 20% dew to make a water barrel sounds nice combined with bonus dew on herb harvesting but again, you can brute force this problem with cold hard lucre anyway so who cares either way?

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

Through the magic of persistenly reloading I've determined that the 2nd tier "chance to get a large amount of Gols" skill is an intensely lame 500 gols. If it even triggers. Assuming it does, after paying for acupunture to get the skill points back you're up barely 200-300 gols. More likely you're down that much because odds are it won't trigger even once. It's a complete trap. Any other skill is better.

Fake edit: on the other hand, the third tier stamina skill that lets you count as "sleeping well" seems pretty strong. Sleeping well gives you a 10% xp boost and there are progressive cosmetic effects for not sleeping. I've never not slept well for long enough to find out if there are non-cosmetic penalties, but the peace of mind gain from not worrying about it is pretty nice. For me at least. You might think you can just go to bed earlier, but sometimes things just take longer than you hoped and you'll miss the boost.

LLSix fucked around with this message at 04:46 on Nov 6, 2023

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ

Caidin posted:

Why is Geegler President not a eligible bachelor?!

He already has a girlfriend, pay attention to the title screen

Caidin
Oct 29, 2011

GotLag posted:

He already has a girlfriend, pay attention to the title screen

I keep getting Logan on a ram or a buffalo or whatever his ride is. One time I think it was somebody driving a wagon?

Anyway I am crushed

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

Panfilo posted:

One of my current gripes is that coming back from EA is the skill tree still feels underwhelming. I don't feel like it scales well at all. By midgame you are not going to be rummaging through piles and whatnot, there's enough things the stores sell you can just brute force quests with money which isn't hard to accumulate.

Conversely the skills that are actually decent can be rushed very quickly and you're left with a bunch of forgettable niche bonuses to unlock. For example getting social xp is a slog but that's fine because you can unlock +1 commission pretty early and it's so devastatingly effective through the rest of the game. +20% total operation speed is also really good compared to others.

A big thing about these is that they apply every day all the time vs a specific action. Weirdly the specific action skills often feel very weak on top of how niche they are. And like I said, many skills get obsolete very quickly; - 20% dew to make a water barrel sounds nice combined with bonus dew on herb harvesting but again, you can brute force this problem with cold hard lucre anyway so who cares either way?

Yeah so many of them are just dead slots, feels no different than when those were just blank ?? Spots with points sitting unused. Lot of little things that could use a perk place over a lot of the junk they give you that might be marginally useful the first week but with perks you won't have points for till it's obsolete, or stuff I just don't ever really do like play dates and banquets.

If nothing else would be okay if some of the weaker bonuses could stack if you continued to add points, making it a useful bonus percentage eventually.

FrickenMoron
May 6, 2009

Good game!

Khanstant posted:

Nia was weird, seems like she pretty much hung out in that apartment all day once they added her, like she never meshed with the rest of cast at all or seemed to do anything lol.

She pretty much just checks in once and you can follow her on day 2 to see events in town with her. She comes back later permanently.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
Yeah that's what I mean though, she doesn't seem like she has a purpose in town, at least in the least EA I played to the end of one or two patches before launch, haven't seen her since launch at all yet lol.

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ

Caidin posted:

I keep getting Logan on a ram or a buffalo or whatever his ride is. One time I think it was somebody driving a wagon?

Anyway I am crushed

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

Qi seems like a pretentious prick. Unfortunately, he's well worth making friends with. I've only got him to 1 heart so far, but so far friendship events with him have gotten me 3 cool things.

1) A better bronze pickaxe. Got this in the second week so if you focus him you could probably get this before you could make one, and it's better than the ones you can make anyways (20 power vs 15)
2) A better feather duster
3) A permanent boost to stamina (just 1 point, but every bit of stamina counts)

Also, for people like me who didn't realize. There's a whole second research tab with him/the research machine. Right trigger to reach it with the controller. The second tab is where the worktable upgrade and the tailoring machine are. You need the worktable upgrade to make parts for any of the other 2nd tier machines. You want the tailoring machine because a lot of early commissions are gated behind having one. You can get by without one, but you have more options if you do.

LLSix fucked around with this message at 15:41 on Nov 6, 2023

Sloober
Apr 1, 2011
It took me way too long to figure out there's a second tab so yeah, important considering the producing machines are on that tab

I hope they expand what types of things people want commissions for, it's almost always the same. Seriously I've given Amira like 40 bloodstone cores, at least Rocky changes up between rivets and bars.

Also recommend building your commission board early so you can snag the prime commissions before mi an does, once you get the recipe

Sloober fucked around with this message at 15:55 on Nov 6, 2023

Agean90
Jun 28, 2008

Pls keep in mind that the sort all button automatically moves any items in your inventory into storage if you have one of that item already in a box.

Also yea Qis a prick. Yeah keep telling me how you don't see me gathering mats for ur toy now your job gets pushed to the bottom of priority list after the commissions, upgrading the furnace, and getting more copper and tin for the sake of making a buff

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FrickenMoron
May 6, 2009

Good game!
I don't think he's a prick, he's just a giant turbonerd who has zero social awareness. He's pretty invested in anything that interests him, the rest does not matter.