Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.
One conversation at a time.

From the sh2 trailer the bit where they had James wailing and screaming in agony on the ground made me go "oh no" the most lol

I think they will be able to nail the misty and choking atmosphere of the town and probably the "combat", story stuff if they don't do their own "unique interpretation" it would likely be just fine but if they do have James as pyramid head stuck in a time loop it would be very very funny

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
like it's one thing to draw a purposefully dumb thing you think is funny and another to draw it as an official paid stream chat emoji for the newest, microtransaction-fueled entry, in what is ostensibly a serious horror franchise that tries to approach these issues from a more subtle and empathetic angle, that has spent the past decades not doing that at all because half of it is written by idiots who don't understand subjects of mental health or trauma in the first place and are just copying the earlier things that did that without getting why or how they did it

man nurse
Feb 18, 2014

The Saddest Rhino posted:

From the sh2 trailer the bit where they had James wailing and screaming in agony on the ground made me go "oh no" the most lol

I think they will be able to nail the misty and choking atmosphere of the town and probably the "combat", story stuff if they don't do their own "unique interpretation" it would likely be just fine but if they do have James as pyramid head stuck in a time loop it would be very very funny

For me it was the extremely long take of him looking really guiltily at the noose, borderline crying, and slowly grabbing it

There was just something really unsubtle about that. Like he shouldn’t be that self aware at that point in the story or something.

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

man nurse posted:

For me it was the extremely long take of him looking really guiltily at the noose, borderline crying, and slowly grabbing it

There was just something really unsubtle about that. Like he shouldn’t be that self aware at that point in the story or something.

That was in the original game too though, wasn't it?

man nurse
Feb 18, 2014

Ibram Gaunt posted:

That was in the original game too though, wasn't it?

It was, but there wasn’t that huge focus on him being like “this is for me, I deserve this”. It was more like he cautiously grabbed it without really comprehending the implication.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
there's a lot of noose iconography in the original silent hill 2 but the specific moments of him grabbing and staring at nooses it's really hard to make out his facial expression and it's for a puzzle

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
in general a pretty striking thing about the original silent hill 2's visual direction is that it's kind of hard to make out james' facial expression a lot of the time. you could say that was ps2 face but literally the biggest contrast in the mirror scene between the original and the remake is that the original covers his face with intense shadow and the remake clearly has him looking comically weepy, and then in silent hill 3 heather is an extremely expressive character to contrast him so it feels like something the developers were at least somewhat aware of

CullenDaGaDee
Aug 20, 2023

I got the will to drive myself sleepless
I gotta say, as someone who had never heard of Bloober Team until the reveal of the SH2 remake, seeing the collective exasperation the rest of the internet has had to this has been pretty amusing. For my part, the initial reaction I had was "Wow, Bloober Team is a really stupid name for a horror company, that can't be real can it?"

The general vibe I get is that Bloober does horror that does well on mass market with a casual audience, but they do a lot of arrogant posturing about their brand of horror that earns the ire of genre enthusiasts and makes it easy to tear them to shreds online.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
like the central idea of all sh2's characterization is that everyone is tired. nearly the whole cast spends the game in an exhausted fugue and when they do show emotion it's dramatic, jarring, and usually in the last couple of hours. james especially should not always look like he's about to burst into tears, because his depression is the numb kind, not the weepy kind

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.

CullenDaGaDee posted:

I gotta say, as someone who had never heard of Bloober Team until the reveal of the SH2 remake, seeing the collective exasperation the rest of the internet has had to this has been pretty amusing. For my part, the initial reaction I had was "Wow, Bloober Team is a really stupid name for a horror company, that can't be real can it?"

The general vibe I get is that Bloober does horror that does well on mass market with a casual audience, but they do a lot of arrogant posturing about their brand of horror that earns the ire of genre enthusiasts and makes it easy to tear them to shreds online.

Their depiction of their chosen subject matter is also routinely really unpleasant, particularly in the first Layers of Fear and in the Medium. I don't know how to summarize the plot throughline of the medium and do it justice.

Discendo Vox fucked around with this message at 00:51 on Nov 6, 2023

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
i dont know that i'd say hate for bloober comes from any sort of posturing or social media presence so much as the fact that while their games have pretty good environmental design, like they're good at creating environments that set a decent atmosphere and while something like observer is blatantly copying bladerunner it's, competent at copying bladerunner, they commit to basically all of the cheapest horror narrative tropes you can imagine which makes them kind of exhausting to engage with for more than like, one or two of their games if you care about horror games having anything approaching decent storytelling. they're a really easy example to point to for horror that gets so low brow it's easy for it to come off less as trashy fun and more as actively a bit distasteful.

TheWorldsaStage
Sep 10, 2020

Nuebot posted:

So, it's not that Bloober Team is secretly good and everyone just hates them for sick internet clout: you just don't actually have standards. I enjoy chicken nuggets from time to time, too, but I'm not going to argue with anyone that Mcdonalds is actually good food.

I said there are things Bloober does well, which is true. I said "some people" just want them to fail, not that there aren't valid concerns to have. I even said there were red flags.

Also lol, I've never said the western Silent Hills are 'good', I said I've enjoyed parts of them, or in ShatMems case I really like it for the most part. Is it a foreign concept to you to enjoy parts of something you might be disappointed with as a whole?

I'd rather have the kind of standards where I can enjoy things while still being able to see where things could be better instead of being miserable and joyless about the media I consume for fun.

CullenDaGaDee posted:

They are very high on their own supply and it is off-putting considering their weaknesses as a developer

TheWorldsaStage fucked around with this message at 00:59 on Nov 6, 2023

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

i definitely want bloober team to fail, just to get that out there

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
i speak neutrally for the sake of civil conversation however, i do think layers of fear sucks poo poo and they were cowards for removing the funniest scare in the remaster. also that bobvids vid was funny for me cause i never got the chance to actually play pt and thus with a missing piece of my horror game vocabulary was not aware how much layers ripped from it

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
if there's going to be a polish horror indie dev everyone knows about i'd much prefer if it was Acid Wizard Studio

CullenDaGaDee
Aug 20, 2023

I got the will to drive myself sleepless

The Colonel posted:

i speak neutrally for the sake of civil conversation however, i do think layers of fear sucks poo poo and they were cowards for removing the funniest scare in the remaster. also that bobvids vid was funny for me cause i never got the chance to actually play pt and thus with a missing piece of my horror game vocabulary was not aware how much layers ripped from it

It's funny you say that, because my sole encounter with Bloober prior to the SH2 reveal when I didn't know their name was seeing Layers of Fear pop up on my Steam home page now and again and thinking "this looks like poo poo" and going about my day.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
its not good

feel like i saw people get into it and then saw those people play pt and never talk about layers again

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Jesus! Jesus Christ! Say his name! Jesus! Jesus! Come down now!

The Colonel posted:

like it's one thing to draw a purposefully dumb thing you think is funny and another to draw it as an official paid stream chat emoji for the newest, microtransaction-fueled entry, in what is ostensibly a serious horror franchise that tries to approach these issues from a more subtle and empathetic angle, that has spent the past decades not doing that at all because half of it is written by idiots who don't understand subjects of mental health or trauma in the first place and are just copying the earlier things that did that without getting why or how they did it

Tbf there’s a serious argument to be made that while catering directly to streamers who make fun of your game / don’t engage with it in good faith is demeaning to the work, doing so is actually a solid marketing strategy. The most effective way to build visibility for games these days is via streamers, and the most popular streamers, esp in horror, are schticky would-be MST3K losers. The best way to attract those people (and they’re always looking for content) is to promise them stuff they can mug and scoff over.

That said, if you were going to do it, it’s probably best to let them take the lead on what gets meme’d, as opposed to seeding catchphrases.

It sort of reminds me of contemporary pro wrestling games, actually. They were legendarily badly made and not popular on their own merits, but then comedy streamers started making custom wrestlers based on cartoons and other video games — Venom vs. Mario, etc. Over the course of years a lot of official game development started going into including more absurd and cartoony character customization options. It was obvious that they were put in solely to make the games more attractive to streamers.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Basic Chunnel posted:

Tbf there’s a serious argument to be made that while catering directly to streamers who make fun of your game / don’t engage with it in good faith is demeaning to the work, doing so is actually a solid marketing strategy. The most effective way to build visibility for games these days is via streamers, and the most popular streamers, esp in horror, are schticky would-be MST3K losers. The best way to attract those people (and they’re always looking for content) is to promise them stuff they can mug and scoff over.
this doesnt really track at all though

five nights at freddy and various other mascot horror is goofy and baits youtubers with Lore but they take themselves relatively seriously

and there stuff like signalis that is just, a video game

i cant think of many horror games that marketed themselves like that

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
why would they want people to watch streamers stream a streaming-based game built around everyone streaming it taking part in community interaction

why would a game that wants this then have its dev's ceo spend a half hour defending the integrity of the game and complain about people insulting it

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.

Re ascension I think they should have attached to a sillier franchise like until dawn where it is normal to actively root for everyone to die, or even resident evil where you don't have to worry that Leon getting decapitated by a chainsaw dude may be canon and just laugh and restart. Doing it with silent hill where the fan base have been going insane due to the deep psychological horror themes of Konami handling the franchise was just setting yourself up for failure

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.

Although to be fair capcom would probably be much more horrified to find out people are registering with usernames of the hard r to circumvent not being able to use it in chat (because you disabled chat, but need to allow people to use the cosmetic paid for stickers) and they would have shut this down within 2 hours

man nurse
Feb 18, 2014

Imagine being the studio that got pitched to or came up with Ascension and was like “yes, we will take this upon ourselves”

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

Endorph posted:

five nights at freddy and various other mascot horror is goofy and baits youtubers with Lore but they take themselves relatively seriously

I would say that the clearest example of this being an issue is Hello Neighbor. It was a fairly thematically straightforward game that had a few background details that could be picked up on by the Lore guys. But it ended up trying to cater to that demographic so hard that the game completely flopped, because they were trying to force so much unnecessary background into the game that they ended up making something that wasn't even fun to play (along with the numerous bugs, of course).

limp dick calvin
Sep 1, 2006

Strepitoso. Vedete? Una meraviglia.
I finished alan wake 2 and I liked it a lot. I do not think I will platinum it because I hated the controls & fighting a lot. But I will buy a 3rd one and maybe listen to poets of the fall

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

"It's okay. There are other Terminators! Just give us this one!"
Hell Gem

Endorph posted:

There's that Garten of Baban game that became a huge viral meme from the zoomer horror people making fun of it. But that's like one lucky case.

Diabetic
Sep 29, 2006

When the mob and the press and the whole world tell you to move, your job is to plant yourself like a tree beside the river of truth, and tell the whole world Diabeetus.
Can anyone hear summarize Silent Hill Ascension? I really don't care to watch but I love the poo poo out of Goon summaries.

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

The Colonel posted:

why would they want people to watch streamers stream a streaming-based game built around everyone streaming it taking part in community interaction

why would a game that wants this then have its dev's ceo spend a half hour defending the integrity of the game and complain about people insulting it
They didn’t think very hard about it and / or never presented it to someone willing to tell them their ideas were bad

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Diabetic posted:

Can anyone hear summarize Silent Hill Ascension? I really don't care to watch but I love the poo poo out of Goon summaries.
theres nothing to really summarize so far

some idiots get silent hill'd

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

theres a single mother with an autistic kid and you better believe they do some zoom ins on the autistic kid staring blankly at things with creepy musical stings

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.

I saw a video briefly explaining the plot so far and it felt like cults, but with people out of a cheers sitcom, where they refuse to talk to each other about their problems and do things in the most roundabout way possible that cause more hardship for everyone so they blame each other for creating their own trauma

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.

Also I just watched When Evil Lurks, a movie which absolutely more people should watch, and there is one scene in the school which iykyk made me think "community failed" and nearly made me lol

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

I feel like FNAF is a bad comparison in that it was really the horror game that first made people notice how consequential being a popular streaming title could be. And how extremely prolific, quasi-episodic iterations on a formula could be successful because, as noted, streamers are constantly fiending for content.

The flip side of that coin is that, as pointed out here and elsewhere, it got very difficult to make money off indie horror games, esp walking sims, as they were typically short enough for streams to cover their entirety, so that people watching didn’t see the point in buying their own copies. Also Steam’s return policy meaning that you could beat a game and still be able to send it back for a refund.

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Like does anyone remember that first person maze running game with an FMV serial killer who’d pop out and scare you

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

mycot posted:

There's that Garten of Baban game that became a huge viral meme from the zoomer horror people making fun of it. But that's like one lucky case.

In cases like this I wonder what that means in terms of actual sales. It's possible that kids are buying all this knock off merchandise and being super into the series without actually buying any copies of the game themselves.

Enemabag Jones
Mar 24, 2015

Basic Chunnel posted:

Like does anyone remember that first person maze running game with an FMV serial killer who’d pop out and scare you
At Dead of Night, it's fun.

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

Well ain't that precious?

Basic Chunnel posted:

The flip side of that coin is that, as pointed out here and elsewhere, it got very difficult to make money off indie horror games, esp walking sims, as they were typically short enough for streams to cover their entirety, so that people watching didn’t see the point in buying their own copies. Also Steam’s return policy meaning that you could beat a game and still be able to send it back for a refund.

I think another issue is the market is absolutely flooded with them, a lot of them with a similar aesthetic, so none of them stand out.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
horror is a space where you can easily find a dozen things that all look identical and when something comes out that stands out you'll see a dozen things that all look like that thing

TheWorldsaStage
Sep 10, 2020

I wish more would try to crib from Inscryption tbh

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SkeletonHero
Sep 7, 2010

:dehumanize:
:killing:
:dehumanize:

Diabetic posted:

Here. Comes. Cults!