Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BOAT SHOWBOAT
Oct 11, 2007

who do you carry the torch for, my young man?

Feels Villeneuve posted:

This is a very good time to mop them up because when you start the next chapter, it becomes night, and makes it more annoying to look for collectables

Thank you! Will knock off the remaining ones now

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

thebardyspoon
Jun 30, 2005

WirelessPillow posted:

The game ends on cliffhanger, nothing is resolved apart from how Wake and Scratch operated. The ending was incredibly weak, I know there is DLC coming and future games, but ending it like it did means the game doesn't stand on its own and it frustrated me that we had no answer other than "Wait there's more!".

I enjoyed it well enough but yeah for how long it took them to make, it kinda feels like it could have had a little bit more of a resolution. I'm glad the final little bit revealed Alice was still alive at least, maybe I'm a big softie but all the good people from the first game basically getting whittled down either between games or in the course of this one felt pretty grim. The sherrif from the first one just disappearing, the two other cops getting twisted into monsters, the radio host and Cynthia especially, just an old lady feeling alone and beaten down by her life getting killed almost as pure collateral damage, older person in my life is going through dementia/massive loss in ability to function so that whole chapter hit harder than it probably would have done in previous years.

Even Barry, having left the story feeling like he'd done something good in building the nursing home, it was revealed that the contractors hosed off with the money so it was built poorly (although, still nicer than any nursing home I've ever been in if not for the monsters and Rose seems to give a poo poo at least)

thebardyspoon fucked around with this message at 00:04 on Nov 6, 2023

poe meater
Feb 17, 2011
End Game spoilers/questions Does Alice have powers now or something? How can she "alter" the world by giving out hints, phone calls, etc? I'm assuming she was the one giving Rose hints?

Does she have a fancy crystal ball or a window she can look out of?

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
okay i'm stuck i need some help in alan's story, i'm in the back alley behind the movie theater. using the cult of the word thing i'm told i need to get to the roof because someone died, but i can't figure out how? the back door to the theatr is locked, i can't climb back up to get back into the theater, i don't see any ladder, what am i missing?

thebardyspoon
Jun 30, 2005

site posted:

okay i'm stuck i need some help in alan's story, i'm in the back alley behind the movie theater. using the cult of the word thing i'm told i need to get to the roof because someone died, but i can't figure out how? the back door to the theatr is locked, i can't climb back up to get back into the theater, i don't see any ladder, what am i missing?

You set it to the cops plot point and then pull the light from the cop car and then move into a space the car headlights were pointing at where there was a barrier, a physical one, not a darkness one around the passage you need to go into and then put the light back into the cop car and that lets you move further in and up.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

poe meater posted:

End Game spoilers/questions Does Alice have powers now or something? How can she "alter" the world by giving out hints, phone calls, etc? I'm assuming she was the one giving Rose hints?

Does she have a fancy crystal ball or a window she can look out of?

The Dark Place can make art real. Alice is an artist herself, she just doesn't use words. It's why photos of the Clicker and a bullet made of light become the real things for Saga

Hel
Oct 9, 2012

Jokatgulm is tedium.
Jokatgulm is pain.
Jokatgulm is suffering.

site posted:

I got stuck there as well, switching on and off the police car Light also opens up an area behind the neon Light i front of it. it's behindthe wall so very east to miss.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

thebardyspoon posted:

You set it to the cops plot point and then pull the light from the cop car and then move into a space the car headlights were pointing at where there was a barrier, a physical one, not a darkness one around the passage you need to go into and then put the light back into the cop car and that lets you move further in and up.

Hel posted:

I got stuck there as well, switching on and off the police car Light also opens up an area behind the neon Light i front of it. it's behindthe wall so very east to miss.

oh boy i think i soft locked myself, i don't have a cop plot point or have a cop car in the alley. where do i find that plot point?

thebardyspoon
Jun 30, 2005

site posted:

oh boy i think i soft locked myself, i don't have a cop plot point or have a cop car in the alley. where do i find that plot point?

Hmm, I don't know how you got into the alley without the cop plot point. I figured it was required. I think to get the cop plot point, it's either, when you first go into the cinema, then you get the cult plot point pretty quick and use it to get into the back room of the main lobby before you go into the auditorium and you find an echo and it gives you the cop plot point... I think? It's either that or it's examining the bloody badges at the top of the stairs to the projector room. The door up on the catwalk up the stairs should let you back into the upstairs of the lobby in the cinema, if it doesn't then yeah you might be a bit hosed?

thebardyspoon fucked around with this message at 00:44 on Nov 6, 2023

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

Getting some real Control vibes from this page

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

thebardyspoon posted:

Hmm, I don't know how you got into the alley without the cop plot point. I figured it was required. I think to get the cop plot point, it's either, when you first go into the cinema, then you get the cult plot point pretty quick and use it to get into the back room of the main lobby before you go into the auditorium you find an echo and it gives you the cop plot point... I think? It's either that or it's examining the bloody badges at the top of the stairs to the projector room. The door up on the catwalk up the stairs should let you back into the upstairs of the lobby in the cinema, if it doesn't then yeah you might be a bit hosed?

Lol well I'm super glad I use multiple saves. What I did was saw the back of the concession stand was blocked. so looking for another way I noticed the double doors into the theater were briefly open when switching scenes. so I switched scenes once to get me behind the debris, and then a second time to sprint through the double doors before they were closed again

thebardyspoon
Jun 30, 2005

site posted:

Lol well I'm super glad I use multiple saves. What I did was saw the back of the concession stand was blocked. so looking for another way I noticed the double doors into the theater were briefly open when switching scenes. so I switched scenes once to get me behind the debris, and then a second time to sprint through the double doors before they were closed again

Ah yeah I got myself stuck in terrain doing that in the hotel.

AngryBooch
Sep 26, 2009
I just finished the game but drat I somehow missed meeting the mayor! I was being very thorough I thought. Where is the mayor?

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

AngryBooch posted:

I just finished the game but drat I somehow missed meeting the mayor! I was being very thorough I thought. Where is the mayor?

suomi hall in watery, where ahti was singing

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen
I think you also need to examine all the campaign booths in order to spawn the mayor

Snowmanatee
Jun 6, 2003

Stereoscopic Suffocation!

site posted:

Switching scenes is supposed to change the geometry immediately. You were unintentionally exploiting a bug where the new scene doesn’t load in for a few seconds. It’ll definitely progress block you if you do it in other places because of missing collision.

Snowmanatee fucked around with this message at 01:27 on Nov 6, 2023

BOAT SHOWBOAT
Oct 11, 2007

AngryBooch posted:

The specific point I was at in the game when I was able to meet him was after defeating Saga's third boss, went back to Watery to collectible hunt and decided to check out the hall where Ahti was singing again. Not sure if I'd examined all the posters before I not but I guess so based on what the above ^ said

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
I enjoyed the short film but drat, let Alan sit down so I can have a better view

DeadFatDuckFat
Oct 29, 2012

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

site posted:

I enjoyed the short film but drat, let Alan sit down so I can have a better view

What does casey vomit up in the film? Was it a white mushroom?

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
That's what it looked like to me

BOAT SHOWBOAT
Oct 11, 2007

Aight, mopping up the last few collectibles isn't too bad since the range on the charm that helps with it is pretty wide and you can use guides to figure out which you missed for process of elimination if you don't want to literally walk everywhere (although I wish more of the guides just used the names of the item locations from the mind place board since that's the easiest way to work out which are missing)

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Been slowly playing through this and staying away from threads so this might have been mentioned before but I had to bring this up since I almost accidentally became a speed runner in the Oceanview Hotel probably thanks to my PC barely meeting minimum requirements. I was in the lobby and switched off the Pre-Ritual or whatever scene from the lobby which didn't load the objects blocking the stairwell for a few moments. I walked through, turned around, and the objects had finally loaded. If it wasn't for this already happening in one of the subway rooms earlier I might have thought this was intentional! When it happened in the subway I could still change the scene from where I was blocked in but I couldn't from the stairs so just had to move forward and ended up getting the Climax scene before any of the others. Still did the rest of the hotel but after also falling through the floor a few times in the floor change bathroom I'm going to wait a few moments every time I change a scene or when there's something like the magic doors.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

AnEdgelord posted:

at the very end of the game Saga is trying to navigate the Dark Place and learns how to do so from profiling Door where he says that members of his family have always been able to come and go in the Dark Place as they please
I got that bit too. But the Wiki article goes into much greater detail and actually spells it out. So there’s either some stuff I missed or someone took some real creative liberties writing the article.

I had a good time with the game and am eager for the DLC, and perhaps even New Game+ since it seems like it’ll have more story in it. I have to say I don’t like the flashlight mechanic changes though. In the first game you eventually get a good feel for it. I never felt that comfortable with the new system.

Edit: Oh and that part with Taking the he cop car light to get on the roof stumped me for a long time until I Googled it. A lot of people seem to be having issues with it.

BOAT SHOWBOAT
Oct 11, 2007

Isn't the major change with the flashlight just that you have to always boost to break their barrier, whereas in game 1 you could shine a light without boosting and it would still work, albeit slowly?

I was pretty OK with that change. I think slowly draining their barriers with an unboosted flashlight is one of those things that could "optimize the fun out of the game" i.e. if the player did that because they were overly concerned with preserving all possible batteries

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen

BOAT SHOWBOAT posted:

Isn't the major change with the flashlight just that you have to always boost to break their barrier, whereas in game 1 you could shine a light without boosting and it would still work, albeit slowly?

I was pretty OK with that change. I think slowly draining their barriers with an unboosted flashlight is one of those things that could "optimize the fun out of the game" i.e. if the player did that because they were overly concerned with preserving all possible batteries

2 other major changes I can think of:
- the flashlight meter is now segmented into chunks, so instead of slowly draining it's now just 1 pip from the flashlight meter every time you use it
- if you had no meter and no batteries left, the game would give you a small pity amount of meter that would slowly regenerate over time, so you could still fight. Here, if you waste it all you gotta run

Flashlight boost also automatically locks on to the enemy you're pointing at, which I don't remember being the case in the first game

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

I was just trying to remember the differences from the first game. I think the original was more interesting, but honestly I don't mind the streamlined version in practice, it mostly feels like I'd just be cutting straight to boosting anyway.

BOAT SHOWBOAT
Oct 11, 2007

CharlestonJew posted:

2 other major changes I can think of:
- the flashlight meter is now segmented into chunks, so instead of slowly draining it's now just 1 pip from the flashlight meter every time you use it
- if you had no meter and no batteries left, the game would give you a small pity amount of meter that would slowly regenerate over time, so you could still fight. Here, if you waste it all you gotta run

Flashlight boost also automatically locks on to the enemy you're pointing at, which I don't remember being the case in the first game

On normal the times I've fully run out of flashlight batteries have been pretty rare, and on those rare occasions I've had flares/flashbangs/propanes to improvise and make do

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

BOAT SHOWBOAT posted:

On normal the times I've fully run out of flashlight batteries have been pretty rare, and on those rare occasions I've had flares/flashbangs/propanes to improvise and make do

normal and story also give you pity recharges when you go back to a checkpoint

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

I don’t like the flashlight moving to pips, and normal highlighting of enemies not doing anything to them. It doesn’t feel more streamlined to me.

Some plot points should have been moved to mandatory dialogue. I spent a bunch of the game thinking that the Dark Presence changing reality was the reason Tim Breaker was sheriff instead of Sarah. I guess they’re actually cousins and she joined the FBI. Makes me think it was only mentioned in idle dialogue, and Saga doesn’t spend much time with him before he gets dragged off to the Dark Place.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Casimir Radon posted:

I don’t like the flashlight moving to pips, and normal highlighting of enemies not doing anything to them. It doesn’t feel more streamlined to me.

Some plot points should have been moved to mandatory dialogue. I spent a bunch of the game thinking that the Dark Presence changing reality was the reason Tim Breaker was sheriff instead of Sarah. I guess they’re actually cousins and she joined the FBI. Makes me think it was only mentioned in idle dialogue, and Saga doesn’t spend much time with him before he gets dragged off to the Dark Place.

tim details what happened to sarah the first or second time alan encounters him

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

Oxxidation posted:

tim details what happened to sarah the first or second time alan encounters him
Ok. I just realized I missed meeting Tim at the hotel. I remember hearing his humming, but then never found my way into the room he’s in.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Is it better to play one character and then the other or should I be switching regularly for any reason?

Hel
Oct 9, 2012

Jokatgulm is tedium.
Jokatgulm is pain.
Jokatgulm is suffering.

Casimir Radon posted:

The pips I can take or leave, but the non boosted flashlight not doing anything was a vital change. A lot of people ruined AW1 for themselves by not boosting because they were afraid of running out of battery, which dragged the fights out and made it way harder, so removing the boring and bad option is a good thing.

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

The non-boosted flashlight having a purpose is not bad and boring wtf are you talking about. If people refuse to boost, that's on them.

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

50 thousand people used to live here. Now, it's the Mushroom Kingdom.

veni veni veni posted:

Is it better to play one character and then the other or should I be switching regularly for any reason?

The two storylines run concurrently and sometimes overlap so if you wanna know what happens during both, you probably want to switch regularly.

WaltherFeng fucked around with this message at 06:55 on Nov 6, 2023

Barudak
May 7, 2007

veni veni veni posted:

Not really? They gently touch on each other but the dungeons are not in sync with each other for some reason that will bug me forever so playing them in alternate order didn't add anything for me.

BOAT SHOWBOAT
Oct 11, 2007

veni veni veni posted:

I think alternating after each major chapter has worked well but you can really do whatever

I also tend to see Saga's chapters as the real meat of the game with Alan's eps being more strange interludes, quite substantial interludes, but still not the main part imo

BOAT SHOWBOAT fucked around with this message at 07:27 on Nov 6, 2023

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

50 thousand people used to live here. Now, it's the Mushroom Kingdom.
Can someone clarify me

Did Wake's murder stories in the Dark Place happen in the real world because he wrote them while trying to escape? Did all 3 murders actually happen because of it?

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
hey you know what's a great idea? not having a single manual save for the last 2 hours of the game

also here's where saga clipped through the ground in the (i hope) final area and i decided to quit

site fucked around with this message at 08:30 on Nov 6, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lines
Aug 18, 2013

She, laughing in mockery, changed herself into a wren and flew away.

Barudak posted:

Not really? They gently touch on each other but the dungeons are not in sync with each other for some reason that will bug me forever so playing them in alternate order didn't add anything for me.

It's because it's a spiral, so Alan intersects with Saga's linear timeline weirdly.