Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

History Comes Inside! posted:

Which beloved veteran does she injure into retirement

Vince :pray:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

zetamind2000
Nov 6, 2007

I'm an alien.

triple h

Eat My Fuc
May 29, 2007

Jade is coming?

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 3 days!

Lex Is King

Joey McChrist
Aug 8, 2005

Eat My Fuc posted:

Jade is coming?

someone in back?

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.

Eat My Fuc posted:

Jade is coming?

Is Jade coming?

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

Can't wait for MJF vs LA Knight next summer :)

Shard
Jul 30, 2005

If mjf goes to wwe I wonder if they'll do a "you were a big fish in a little pond" bit with him like they did with Benoit and taz

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

I'm 50/50 on when/if MJF comes they either keep him being the way he is or overcorrect the other way, put him in a newly-discovered officially-trademarked Blue Kane mask and never have him talk again

Digital Jedi
May 28, 2007

Fallen Rib
100% his first match is against The Miz

Big Coffin Hunter
Aug 13, 2005

Shard posted:

If mjf goes to wwe I wonder if they'll do a "you were a big fish in a little pond" bit with him like they did with Benoit and taz

Even if it isn't the first thing it's happening in less than a year's time

Orange Carlisle
Jul 14, 2007

flashy_mcflash posted:

Are she and BPJ sharing thrones or do they each have one?

Digital Jedi posted:

They did not. It was two different thrones. I wondered the same thing.

legit was wondering why they gave two new wrestlers coming from aew both the throne gimmick at the same time lol

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 3 days!

Orange Carlisle posted:

legit was wondering why they gave two new wrestlers coming from aew both the throne gimmick at the same time lol

Wrestling has more than one royal family

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

If MJF has been mostly booking his own stuff then he seems like he would fit right into WWE.

I think he's probably leaning more toward WWE, too be honest, unless there is a huge pay gap.

TV Zombie
Sep 6, 2011

Burying all the trauma from past nights
Burying my anger in the past

Hirez posted:

The problem is they'll never square off with eachother, each of them will just get squashes over Natayla, Sonya, Nikki Cross, Nia, etc, or they'll have those 4man multi-man matches with eachother for reasons

I think that at least for the joshi, they have the experience from Japan to even make squashes entertaining, if given time and Natalya and Cross can wrestle, which cannot hurt, in terms of match quality. I am admittedly biased towards joshi but I really think that even if only kairi is signed, there are good matches to be had in the WWE.

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

MJF could never work in WWE, his character needs a little edginess(and I don't use that term negatively) and room to push boundaries a little and I think WWE is where his character would go to die

Ad by Khad
Jul 25, 2007

Human Garbage
Watch me try to laugh this title off like the dickbag I am.

I also hang out with racists.

shawn michaels working real hard to teach the nxt kids

KungFu Grip
Jun 18, 2008
thats just how jd always wrestled (bad)

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

jd was trained by finn

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
JD Vance is a wrestler?

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Kyle Schwarber: World Series hero, Beefy Lad, better than you.

Illegal Hen

STONE COLD 64 posted:

Can't wait for MJF vs LA Knight next summer :)

gently caress, All In London 2024 gonna be insane

Pylons
Mar 16, 2009

https://twitter.com/POSTwrestling/status/1721326784849875315?t=9dHfq_pGj7Vqn8PI-UB31g&s=19

rotinaj
Sep 5, 2008

Fun Shoe

they are already throwing vince under the bus, eh

Orange Carlisle
Jul 14, 2007

Kvlt! posted:

MJF could never work in WWE, his character needs a little edginess(and I don't use that term negatively) and room to push boundaries a little and I think WWE is where his character would go to die

wwe would let him be edgy for a week or two after signing a contract then he'd be in an endless rated PG feud with the miz like everyone else right after the ink dries

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

rotinaj posted:

they are already throwing vince under the bus, eh

Dana said Vince killed the UFC/NBC deal back when they went with Fox and said it when WWE is getting sued by MLW for killing a deal. It's curious and I'm wondering if Dana is pulling knives out to payback Vince now

Invalid Validation
Jan 13, 2008

Think they try to do another Saudi deal when this one’s up?

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

Invalid Validation posted:

1000%

super macho dude
Aug 9, 2014

Everytime I see a photo of Vince's shoe polish hair and his John Waters mustache I still laugh out loud in disbelief

Alan_Shore
Dec 2, 2004

Lol MJF isn't going to WWE you absolutely dolts

yea ok
Jul 27, 2006

Invalid Validation posted:

Yes

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

Alan_Shore posted:

he isnt going to wwe, hes bringing the wwe to aew

Alan_Shore
Dec 2, 2004

STONE COLD 64 posted:

he isnt going to wwe, hes bringing the wwe to aew

He really, absolutely, 100% isn't.

Unless you think backstage skits and stories that go through a whole show are WWE

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.

Digital Jedi posted:

100% his first match is against The Miz

Nah, it'd be his 3rd feud after teasing it for months in little backstage skits. His first feud will be against, I dunno, Lexis King or whoever.

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

Alan_Shore posted:

Unless you think backstage skits and stories that go through a whole show are WWE

i think invisible camera skits and hammy over-acting/running bad comedy into the ground are wwe.

Fish Of Doom
Aug 18, 2004
I'm too awake for this to be a nightmare

super macho dude posted:

Everytime I see a photo of Vince's shoe polish hair and his John Waters mustache I still laugh out loud in disbelief

:same: it's still funny somehow

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

It's like goldy or bronzy, but made of iron.

I hope for the people who are watching that WWE are putting out good and consistent shows. It would be good if the people who work there could tell good stories and have good matches.

I'm just not interested. Between their production style and their company ethics and the bedrock level strand of cruelty in what they do, I'm content to never watch.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

коммунизм хранится в яичках

Erin M. Fiasco posted:

Much, much slower pace for one, but also often wrestlers are taught to work to the hard cam (pausing to show big emotions towards the camera that is shooting the action, particularly in showing one's face) and are also told to limit their move pools usually to a short list. That isn't to say that independent training or other companies don't teach working to signature spots, as signature spots are bread-and-butter pro wrestling stuff, but there's a singular focus on working to standard, cookie-cutter-paced matches that is predominantly noticeable in WWE. It's gotten better since the advent of NXT, but only in the sense that instead of five signature moves a wrestler can have, say, ten. The matches aren't so ponderous, either. And this style isn't unwatchable (for the general audience, that is) but it's noticeable. This allows WWE to control what the viewer sitting at home, the only viewer they really care about, thinks. A wrestler is a great high-flyer because they can jump from the top rope. A wrestler is a great technical wrestler because they can do one submission really well. There's a focus on allowing each wrestler to stand out just enough to be memorable without allowing any single wrestler to be that different in how they work, because everyone has to be archetypal and part of the WWE Universe™.

Rey Fenix once said in a seminar that there are two kinds of luchadors - gym luchas and crowd luchas. Crowd Luchas are of course, those who work to the crowd. Gym Luchas are those who work for themselves. A Gym Lucha is called as such because in the end, it doesn't matter if they're working in an arena or not, they're not going to change - they might as well be wrestling alone in a gym. WWE's house style is very similar, though you could even say they're Studio Wrestlers. While all wrestlers are taught in some ways to be able to focus and Get Their poo poo In whether the crowd is 3 or 3000, WWE's style can thrive even with no crowd, because Sports Entertainers™ are working in such a way that as long as there's a camera focused on them, they can have their usual match that follows what is basically the Five Paragraph Essay formula in wrestling format. This was thrown into sharp relief during the pandemic where WWE just straight up started having screens showing people watching (for the illusion of community) with piped in noise (which can be done because the actual crowd does not matter, only what You, The Viewer, thinks).

It's not quite so easy to break down into any one thing, but rather it's a combination of many different things that contribute to a decent, but not explosive, pro wrestler, often who doesn't really know how to improvise.

It didn't use to be as noticeable because the upper card guys were allowed to work their own styles, and the tag division existed rather than random singles guys doing the same betrayal story, so the 'WWE House Style' was only really a noticeable thing with the jobbers.

Unfortunately they've spent all the time since Rock and then Cena left for Hollywood desperately making sure nobody gets more over than the brand, which means everyone works the style that makes the brand look good.

Liquid Communism fucked around with this message at 09:01 on Nov 6, 2023

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Alan_Shore posted:

yes

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

also he's going to wwe

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

blunt
Jul 7, 2005

Alan_Shore posted:

I remember when we said this about Cody