Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cyouni
Sep 30, 2014

without love it cannot be seen
I'm pretty sure the Beginner's Box also said you should be level 2 for that encounter.

So if you're not, that's kinda a problem for the difficulty.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Flip Yr Wig
Feb 21, 2007

Oh please do go on
Fun Shoe

Chevy Slyme posted:

Not yet, but I would expect AoN to publish some sort of a diff once the new text is fully up there, which is going to happen sometime after the street date, which isn't for another two weeks.

And I didn't even know about AoN before, so double thanks.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Cyouni posted:

I'm pretty sure the Beginner's Box also said you should be level 2 for that encounter.

You should be yes. The total XP you can collect before the optional final boss is 1124. But there are a couple branching paths leading to dead ends so you can reach the final boss without ever visiting the tomb, elemental room or xulgath cave, and you can pass the coin puzzle without solving it, those 4 things are 380XP. If you miss any 2 of them you won't make level 2 before the final fights.

And story wise it's perfectly reasonable to skip those rooms. If your guys are laser focused on the mission of tracking down the missing fish it makes sense not to disturb the spooky tomb because the fish aren't there.

The GM can easily give a gentle nudge to get people to not walk into the final battles under leveled, but if you have a newbie GM they might not see the problem coming.

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Anybody lose their glasses?

Cyouni posted:

My group was playing cautiously so we decided *not* to explore the small side cove behind the wooden barricade with noise and the elemental cave, so we weren't level 2. :derp:

We ended up hastily retreating while dragging our dying people who got blasted with a breath weapon (cause we rolled poo poo initiative and were in two groups more or less) while one person distracted the dragon and ran out the back entrance after hoping it was a way out and not a dead end. Came back in at level 2 (and me swapping my magus for a fighter) and it was still a rough fight but not quite as much of a disaster. Partially because our alchemist spent more or less all their daily preps on some anti-dragon bullshit for us.

Scoss
Aug 17, 2015
I pitted my players against a pair of Giant Chameleons and we treated it as a kind of tutorial for stealth mechanics and understanding hidden/detected/seeking. I think everyone more or less has understood the mechanics, but I can't help but feel that it is quite a lot of work for the GM to do hide and sneak checks versus every individual opposed character that could observe them, and then track detected and hidden status individually per character. It all makes intuitive sense but the book-keeping on what state of stealth every creature is in VS every other creature, and the sort of "pretend you don't know this information" when I show one player where a detected and hidden monster is but another player still can't detect that monster and it hasn't been "pointed out". I also really kind of hate the nomenclature they chose and wish they had picked more distinctive words to describe these different states-- the "concealed" condition doesn't help this matter.

Do people really run this stuff RAW or are there some houserule simplifications or other techniques for helping? I can't imagine ever running running more than one or two monsters that would try to use stealth in a single encounter.

Tangentially related, but the Chameleons have an attack that lets them grab enemies with their tongue, and when a player asked it was not clear to me if the tongue would disappear along with the rest of the Chameleon if it were to hide.

Scoss fucked around with this message at 06:57 on Nov 4, 2023

VikingofRock
Aug 24, 2008

Scoss posted:

Do people really run this stuff RAW or are there some houserule simplifications or other techniques for helping? I can't imagine ever running running more than one or two monsters that would try to use stealth in a single encounter.

I do run this (roughly) RAW. I pretty much just keep track of my party's highest perception DC and roll against that. If the monster beats it, they can act in total secrecy (I make the token invisible on Foundry); if they don't beat it then I move the monster around in the open and tell my party "anyone with a perception higher than <roll> can see this guy" and let them keep track of it.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Yeah I also combine some of the rolls from the two sides when there would be too much rolling otherwise

Andrast fucked around with this message at 07:03 on Nov 4, 2023

sugar free jazz
Mar 5, 2008

I have run it raw and really dislike it.

Chevy Slyme
May 2, 2004

We're Gonna Run.

We're Gonna Crawl.

Kick Down Every Wall.
A Reddit nerd has begun compiling a spreadsheet of remaster differences. Ancestries, versatile heritages, and backgrounds are all done, class diffs coming soon I guess.

https://www.reddit.com/r/Pathfinder2e/comments/17ncsv4/remaster_list_of_changes/

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream
So do I have to rebuy the core books now if I want PDF's of the new rules?

Jarvisi
Apr 17, 2001

Green is still best.

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

I'm lazy so I'll probably just use the archives of nethys. I believe the PDF is pretty cheap though!

Chevy Slyme
May 2, 2004

We're Gonna Run.

We're Gonna Crawl.

Kick Down Every Wall.

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

Yes.

Scoss
Aug 17, 2015
My players have asked enough about "is this thing edible?" after killing giant animals in the wilderness that at this point I think it would be fun to come up with some way for them to do a simple skill check at camp to cook a fancy meal and give themselves some minor buff for the day, like Monster Hunter.

I found the meal prep options from Kingmaker while poking around on AoN, so I have at least some basic example of what a reasonable version of that might look like. Are there any other resources like this I could reference? I am also aware of the Thermal Remedy spell as an example of a different kind of effect to enchant food, which doesn't seem like it would be terribly unbalancing to let my players have for "free" when they find jumbo monster eggs or something.

Taciturn Tactician
Jan 27, 2011

The secret to good health is a balanced diet and unstable healing radiation
Lipstick Apathy

Scoss posted:

My players have asked enough about "is this thing edible?" after killing giant animals in the wilderness that at this point I think it would be fun to come up with some way for them to do a simple skill check at camp to cook a fancy meal and give themselves some minor buff for the day, like Monster Hunter.

I found the meal prep options from Kingmaker while poking around on AoN, so I have at least some basic example of what a reasonable version of that might look like. Are there any other resources like this I could reference? I am also aware of the Thermal Remedy spell as an example of a different kind of effect to enchant food, which doesn't seem like it would be terribly unbalancing to let my players have for "free" when they find jumbo monster eggs or something.

Dash of Herbs is the other food enchanting ability that comes immediately to mind.

Chevy Slyme
May 2, 2004

We're Gonna Run.

We're Gonna Crawl.

Kick Down Every Wall.

Scoss posted:

You might also want to look at the various alchemical food formulae from treasure vault, for less minor buffs that you want to charge against the consumable loot budget

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Educate. Agitate. Liberate.
The BattleZoo monster hunter stuff might also be worth looking at.

ZZT the Fifth
Dec 6, 2006
I shot the invisible swordsman.
Playing PF2e has got me thinking about running a campaign for some other friends. I've got Foundry and just updated from version 0.8 to the current version; anyone know how I should be setting this up? I'm waffling between running an existing adventure path or trying to make something up.

Jon
Nov 30, 2004

ZZT the Fifth posted:

Playing PF2e has got me thinking about running a campaign for some other friends. I've got Foundry and just updated from version 0.8 to the current version; anyone know how I should be setting this up? I'm waffling between running an existing adventure path or trying to make something up.

The AP integration in Foundry is unreal. Check out the Kingmaker module.

ZZT the Fifth
Dec 6, 2006
I shot the invisible swordsman.

Jon posted:

The AP integration in Foundry is unreal. Check out the Kingmaker module.

Doesn't that one in particular cost like $100?

KPC_Mammon
Jan 23, 2004

Ready for the fashy circle jerk
I've tried the beginner box, abomination vaults, blood lords, and outlaws of alkenstar on Foundry. They are all really good.

I also ended up running some original content when abomination vault went a bit off rails (a town defense, I got some suggestions from this thread that worked really well and I might do a writeup at some point if people are interested), and I don't think it would be cheaper per session if you are using patreon for maps instead of running a module.

I can make my own maps but it takes at least a day for a single one, which doesn't feel worth it.

The Slack Lagoon
Jun 17, 2008

Does anyone know if there is a way to export a character from Foundry TO Pathbuilder so players can look at their character without the server being up?

Kwolok
Jan 4, 2022
My two remaster books are out for delivery :D

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004

The Slack Lagoon posted:

Does anyone know if there is a way to export a character from Foundry TO Pathbuilder so players can look at their character without the server being up?

Pathbuilder has a numerical code for each character. If there's an app or mod for foundry that imports from pathbuilder, it may also be able to export or generate such a code

Kwolok
Jan 4, 2022
So going through the remaster, and this is my first big forray into p2e. I'm looking at backgrounds and for example the detective background grants the streetwise feat but I can't, for the life of my, find that feat in the book, and it's definitely not in the glossary.

I know I can find it online but is this just an oversight?

Lurks With Wolves
Jan 14, 2013

At least I don't dance with them, right?

Kwolok posted:

So going through the remaster, and this is my first big forray into p2e. I'm looking at backgrounds and for example the detective background grants the streetwise feat but I can't, for the life of my, find that feat in the book, and it's definitely not in the glossary.

I know I can find it online but is this just an oversight?

Page 263.

quote:

You know about life on the streets and feel the pulse of your local settlement. You can use your Society modifier instead of your Diplomacy modifier to Gather Information. In any settlement you frequent regularly, you can use the Rcall Knowledge action with Society to know the same sorts of information you could discover with Diplomacy to Gather Information. The DC is usually significantly higher, but you know the information without spending time gathering it. If you fail to recall the information, you can still subsequently attempt to Gather Information normally.

Kwolok
Jan 4, 2022
Ahhh thanks, I guess I'm confused by the difference between skills and skill feats.

Lurks With Wolves
Jan 14, 2013

Kwolok posted:

Ahhh thanks, I guess I'm confused by the difference between skills and skill feats.

If it helps, it's specifically under Society Skill Feats in the big table at the start of the Feats chapter, so I get it. Let they who have not missed something really obvious on their first readthrough of a book cast the first stone.

gurragadon
Jul 28, 2006

Yeah, your gonna miss a lot even after you really know the book. There's just so much in it and it doesn't have a good index in the back for searching. Skill feats are feats that you can take if you are at the required proficiency level in the skill, they usually improve what you can do with the skill. Skills are what you use to roll for your actions in the game.

Pasha
Nov 9, 2017
Dumb question, but is there a guide somewhere on how to create custom ancestries? I am thinking of converting a homebrew setting to PF2E, but it doesn't use standard elf/dwarf/etc ancestries.

Chevy Slyme
May 2, 2004

We're Gonna Run.

We're Gonna Crawl.

Kick Down Every Wall.

Pasha posted:

Dumb question, but is there a guide somewhere on how to create custom ancestries? I am thinking of converting a homebrew setting to PF2E, but it doesn't use standard elf/dwarf/etc ancestries.

The absolute easiest solution is to just mix and match mechanics from existing ones to fit your existing homebrew ancestries. Between the dozens that are released, there should be a pretty good spread of appropriate thematics.

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

Pasha posted:

What kinds of custom ancestries do you have in mind? Existing ancestries might work with a bit of reskinning; there’s rules for a bunch of different kinds of animal people, for example (and there will be even more when Howl of the Wild comes out next year). Having said that, PF2’s handling of anything with wings or multiple arms is somewhat awkward.

Lurks With Wolves
Jan 14, 2013

Chevy Slyme posted:

The absolute easiest solution is to just mix and match mechanics from existing ones to fit your existing homebrew ancestries. Between the dozens that are released, there should be a pretty good spread of appropriate thematics.

Yeah. Don't do more work than you need to, especially if this is a home game and not something being published for a wider audience. If you can say "mechanically, the main ancestries in this area are gnolls, azarketi, elves with the Fleshwarp versatile ancestry and halflings that have access to these three homebrew feats", that's going to be easier than building a whole custom ancestry.

Still, if you're going to make custom ancestries anyway, you should still look at as many other ancestries as you can. Balancing ancestry feats is more about doing things than are roughly equivalent to the stuff that already exists than anything, but they cover a broad enough range of things that you have to do a lot of it by feel. Once you have the start of something, we'll have more to work with when giving feedback.

Lurks With Wolves
Jan 14, 2013

Well, there's also things like making sure you have a good balance of ancestries that give a spread of attribute bonuses and can fill the breadth of fantasies your players are going to want covered and so on, but this is an existing homebrew setting so I assume you either thought about this already or you're fine with not having an ancestry that obviously fits as a wizard.

Chevy Slyme
May 2, 2004

We're Gonna Run.

We're Gonna Crawl.

Kick Down Every Wall.

Lurks With Wolves posted:

Well, there's also things like making sure you have a good balance of ancestries that give a spread of attribute bonuses.

This is a nonfactor. Every ancestry should just have two free +2's.

It just comes down to feats and heritages.

Lurks With Wolves
Jan 14, 2013

Chevy Slyme posted:

This is a nonfactor. Every ancestry should just have two free +2's.

It just comes down to feats and heritages.

Oh, right. Forgot about that for a second because they still have default "get a boost in these two attributes plus one free boost, get a penalty in this one" lines in each ancestry's statblock. I'm going to say it still matters, but on a strictly aesthetic level.

Lurks With Wolves fucked around with this message at 16:49 on Nov 7, 2023

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012
It does matter because the option of a flaw in return for an extra boost is often useful (at least when the flaw is to Str, Int, or Cha).

Chevy Slyme
May 2, 2004

We're Gonna Run.

We're Gonna Crawl.

Kick Down Every Wall.

Silver2195 posted:

It does matter because the option of a flaw in return for an extra boost is often useful (at least when the flaw is to Str, Int, or Cha).

It’s also officially no longer a thing now that player core is out.

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

Chevy Slyme posted:

No, there are still "3 boosts, 1 flaw" options in the Remaster. They just also make the alternate ancestry boosts option clearer.

Pasha
Nov 9, 2017

Silver2195 posted:

What kinds of custom ancestries do you have in mind? Existing ancestries might work with a bit of reskinning; there’s rules for a bunch of different kinds of animal people, for example (and there will be even more when Howl of the Wild comes out next year). Having said that, PF2’s handling of anything with wings or multiple arms is somewhat awkward.

Yes, I will be borrowing from other ancestries as much as possible.

For past games, I have generally given each group the default human abilities plus one additional special ability (that could be used once per game). One group had the ability to reroll a single die, one group had the ability to speak with dead, one group had the ability to ignore a single damage that they received, etc. Generally kind of weird and powerful abilities, but they could only be used once per game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Taciturn Tactician
Jan 27, 2011

The secret to good health is a balanced diet and unstable healing radiation
Lipstick Apathy

Chevy Slyme posted:

It just makes Alternate Ancestry Boosts front and center and a non-variant rule, it doesn't remove the ancestry's default spread.