Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

I'll add that almost twenty (!) years ago now, Traviss was very active on LiveJournal back when the first Republic Commando book came out, and she had a very different relationship with the fandom than the one that emerged a few years later. I was one of the people who talked with her then, and she was very open about how attractive she found Maori men to be. In general but also specifically Temeura Morrison (of course) but also Lani Tupu (Crais from Farscape).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 2 hours!
Sounds like Traviss is the person everyone is thinking of when they complain about Zack Snyder.

Kind of makes me want to see Snyder adapting one of her books, god help me.

Hasturtium
May 19, 2020

And that year, for his birthday, he got six pink ping pong balls in a little pink backpack.

Grendels Dad posted:

Sounds like Traviss is the person everyone is thinking of when they complain about Zack Snyder.

Kind of makes me want to see Snyder adapting one of her books, god help me.

No, no, I get it. Whatever poured out of the mixer of those two would absolutely succeed at… something.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

Hasturtium posted:

No, no, I get it. Whatever poured out of the mixer of those two would absolutely succeed at… something.

3.5hrs about an army of beefy fascist supermen that humanity worships as new gods for some reason and also there’s a somber slo-mo hot dog scene set to a Leonard Cohen song.

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.
One conversation at a time.

Pain and gain but bad?

Plastic_Gargoyle
Aug 3, 2007

FlamingLiberal posted:

Is it Traviss that came up with the idea that the Spartan suit Master Chief wears also sexually satisfies him

There is a single line in the Kilo-5 novels that mentions that spartans are catheterized, and that the suit recycles the urine.

I don't know where you're getting this weird poo poo from, it isn't in the canon anywhere that I've ever heard.

Precambrian
Apr 30, 2008

It was a tweet with a fake page of one of the books. Fooled lot of people at the time, and apparently, it still does.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

Plastic_Gargoyle posted:

There is a single line in the Kilo-5 novels that mentions that spartans are catheterized, and that the suit recycles the urine.

I don't know where you're getting this weird poo poo from, it isn't in the canon anywhere that I've ever heard.

which isn't even unique to the Spartans. It's true of Space Marine armour in 40k as well.

Argus Zant
Nov 18, 2012

Wer ist bereit zu tanzen?
i'd swear the "the suit jacks him off" thing started as a loving dril tweet or something along those lines, not even just a faked excerpt being circulated

i know it's fake i just meant in the sense that that joke starting to circulate was the time period i was referring to

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

Big Mean Jerk posted:

3.5hrs about an army of beefy fascist supermen that humanity worships as new gods for some reason and also there’s a somber slo-mo hot dog scene set to a Leonard Cohen song.

It would inevitably end up with Traviss trying to cancel Snyder for making her fascists look bad.

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

Gears can be adapted, the smart way to do it is take the aesthetic and the setting and absolutely discard the plot from the games. The musclemen and “destroyed beauty” and “chainsaw machine gun” should all be kept, but the story of Marcus Fenix, his durag, and Dom should be discarded immediately.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Chairman Capone posted:

I think this is more an illustration of how as soon as you ask Karen Traviss to expand on your games you go down some extremely stupid and awful paths (see also Halo, Republic Commando).

And anything else, she hosed up the IDW GI Joe comics hard apparently.

well why not posted:

Gears can be adapted, the smart way to do it is take the aesthetic and the setting and absolutely discard the plot from the games. The musclemen and “destroyed beauty” and “chainsaw machine gun” should all be kept, but the story of Marcus Fenix, his durag, and Dom should be discarded immediately.

Though at that point you're probably just back in even more barely legally distinct from Warhammer 40k.

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

let's be clear, whether or not it's actually been explicitly stated in the canon or not, it does make logical sense for the suit to jack him off

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:
I remember on XBox Live Gears 1's description was TACTICAL MILITARY HORROR instead of action/shooter/whatever the rest of the series was called on it. Might be interesting for a movie to focus on some of the Forgotten characters eking it out and have Marcus/etc. be a distant thing/ocassional force that swoops in inflicting massive destruction on whatever Locust stuff is going on.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...

kalel posted:

let's be clear, whether or not it's actually been explicitly stated in the canon or not, it does make logical sense for the suit to jack him off

halochief was always an aspirational teenage boy fantasy

Remulak
Jun 8, 2001
I can't count to four.
Yams Fan

Alan Smithee posted:

halochief was always an aspirational teenage boy fantasy

Brilliantly so, not only was a giant indestructible killer but had a hot girlfriend that other people could see. And that didn’t have any physical or emotional requirements.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

Neo Rasa posted:

I remember on XBox Live Gears 1's description was TACTICAL MILITARY HORROR instead of action/shooter/whatever the rest of the series was called on it. Might be interesting for a movie to focus on some of the Forgotten characters eking it out and have Marcus/etc. be a distant thing/ocassional force that swoops in inflicting massive destruction on whatever Locust stuff is going on.

Well there'd the horror of the badguys not being aliens but genetically modified humans created by the government to make a race of slaves resistant to radiation

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

Remulak posted:

Brilliantly so, not only was a giant indestructible killer but had a hot girlfriend that other people could see. And that didn’t have any physical or emotional requirements.

Pretty funny that Cortana is now Microsoft's assistant AI. She's took Clippy's job.

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

Watched A Haunting in Venice last night. Why is Kenneth Branagh making terrible Agatha Christie (now homages?)?

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...
ILL MAKE YOU A BELIEVER

BELIEVER

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Professor Shark posted:

Watched A Haunting in Venice last night. Why is Kenneth Branagh making terrible Agatha Christie (now homages?)?

This is his third one, where have you been?

I liked Murder on the Orient Express, even if it really wasn't that great. A lot of style with a good cast. I heard A Haunting in Venice was good though. Death on the Nile was bad though with a really feel bad cast.

Like for real, look at the Death on the Nile cast and just :yikes: away:

Armie Hammer: cannibal/rapist
Russell Brand: rapist
Letitia Wright: anti-vaxxer
Gal Gadot: racist that supports war cimes

Codependent Poster fucked around with this message at 04:22 on Nov 6, 2023

jisforjosh
Jun 6, 2006

"It's J is for...you know what? Fuck it, jizz it is"

Codependent Poster posted:

I liked Murder on the Orient Express, even if it really wasn't that great. A lot of style with a good cast. I heard A Haunting in Venice was good though. Death on the Nile was bad though with a really feel bad cast.

It's got such terribly boring cinematography and editing compared to the 1974 version

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

The Branagh movies can be over-stylized but I generally enjoy them. I forgot Brand was in DOTN. I’d kind of forgot he existed for a while before he went deep into RW politics, and then the rape accusations started coming in to explain said pivot.

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.

Does the new one at least have him have the mustache? The 2nd one ended with him recognising him keeping it is his internalising his ww1 trauma, which is frankly ridiculous, and then it ended with a stinger of him having it shaven off

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.

Omg what happened to my avatar

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

Yeah, the mustache is back.

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

The Saddest Rhino posted:

Omg what happened to my avatar

A rhino who can't hard he own dick, a saddest rhino.

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

jisforjosh posted:

It's got such terribly boring cinematography and editing compared to the 1974 version

thank you! lots of people praising it and I've felt like I've been living in the twilight zone

Drunkboxer
Jun 30, 2007

The Saddest Rhino posted:

Does the new one at least have him have the mustache? The 2nd one ended with him recognising him keeping it is his internalising his ww1 trauma, which is frankly ridiculous, and then it ended with a stinger of him having it shaven off

I have no idea why they thought Poirot of all people needed to be a veteran with PTSD. The whole reason why he’s in Britain in the first book is because he’s fleeing the war. I’m not someone who freaks out about small deviations from source material but making him a wounded warrior who’s uncomfortable in his own skin is way out of character. That being said if they keep making them I’ll keep watching them because I’ll apparently watch any old mystery movie they put out.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

It’s because it was made at the peak of the “everything is actually about unpacking trauma” trend.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
Stop, you're gonna give me flashbacks.

Feldegast42
Oct 29, 2011

COMMENCE THE RITE OF SHITPOSTING

The MSJ posted:

Pretty funny that Cortana is now Microsoft's assistant AI. She's took Clippy's job.

Then one of the later Halo games then made her evil

nonathlon
Jul 9, 2004
And yet, somehow, now it's my fault ...

Argus Zant posted:

Also I think just summarizing it as “beefy supersoldier dudes” is putting too simple a spin on her shtick. Traviss is extremely in love with this idea of stoic, honorable warrior cultures that other people look upon with reverance and awe that comes across as her being way too enamored with Gurkhas, and with an unironic pseudofascist idea soldiers are a state’s only “true” citizens. You get the former with the way she wrote the Mandalorians during her stint writing Star Wars, the Pesang hill-folk (which are never seen or even mentioned in the games) in the Gears novels, and the way she wrote the Sangheli/Elites in the one Halo book I read. The latter just sort of pervades the way she writes the CoG & UNSC as being completely in the right despite all the horrid poo poo they commit; it comes across like she’s one of those people who read Starship Troopers way too many times in high school and doesn’t get that Verhoeven’s movie is meant to be satirical.

There was a time, not so long ago, when there were a lot of Traviss fans on the Internet, posting "hey Star Wars novels have a low low bar but this one author can really write, I was surprised!" Which leads you to wonder if (a) Traviss was a once promising author who rapidly lost all perspective, (b) those fans were chuds who loved the manly supersoldiers doing manly things or (c) SF fans have such low standards and self awareness, it's easy to rise above the slop.

As a sidebar, I suspect the TV show sometimes suggests that the Mandalorians aren't actually deadly badasses but actually weirdos and a bit crap. Probably unprovable but it's my fan theory.

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

The MSJ posted:

Was, they shut it down back in August.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Chairman Capone posted:

I'll add that almost twenty (!) years ago now, Traviss was very active on LiveJournal back when the first Republic Commando book came out, and she had a very different relationship with the fandom than the one that emerged a few years later. I was one of the people who talked with her then, and she was very open about how attractive she found Maori men to be. In general but also specifically Temeura Morrison (of course) but also Lani Tupu (Crais from Farscape).

Lol

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

A Haunting in Venice was great, easily the best of the three. The cinematography and set design was absolutely cooking. Shame they probably won't make more of them.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

nonathlon posted:

There was a time, not so long ago, when there were a lot of Traviss fans on the Internet, posting "hey Star Wars novels have a low low bar but this one author can really write, I was surprised!" Which leads you to wonder if (a) Traviss was a once promising author who rapidly lost all perspective, (b) those fans were chuds who loved the manly supersoldiers doing manly things or (c) SF fans have such low standards and self awareness, it's easy to rise above the slop.

As a sidebar, I suspect the TV show sometimes suggests that the Mandalorians aren't actually deadly badasses but actually weirdos and a bit crap. Probably unprovable but it's my fan theory.

Traviss has always been unbearable garbage, the fans who adored her back then are the same ones that complain about Jedi existing in anything Star Wars does.

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

"It's okay. There are other Terminators! Just give us this one!"
Hell Gem

Big Mean Jerk posted:

Traviss has always been unbearable garbage, the fans who adored her back then are the same ones that complain about Jedi existing in anything Star Wars does.

Yeah it's the crowd that would unironically say that Batman is better than Superman because he doesn't have powers, but replace Batman with Mandalorians and Superman with Jedi.

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
I can't believe Gladiator 2 and Beetlejuice 2 are both finally happening, neither with their famously previously bandied about scripts as far as I can tell. Genuinely more worried about the latter, I'm not sure I trust Burton in 2023.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
By throwing out the interesting concepts, they're both signaling that they're going to be thoroughly mediocre. The Beetlejuice Goes Hawaiian script sounded awful, but at least it sounded inventive. The little we know about the story for the one in production sounds very bland. Gladiator 2 script still holds up. I can't imagine actual movie feeling like anything other than a mediocre Gladiator ripoff since it's so disconnected from the heart of the story of the first.

e: For those who don't know:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aL5ujfzGsZo

feedmyleg fucked around with this message at 17:57 on Nov 6, 2023