Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Scratch Monkey
Oct 25, 2010

👰Proč bychom se netěšili🥰když nám Pán Bůh🙌🏻zdraví dá💪?
My guess is that they assumed they were smart enough to never get caught also “have you seen how much money were making?!”

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

deoju
Jul 11, 2004

All the pieces matter.
Nap Ghost
Image depicting the changing colors of Lego Minifigure heads since 1975.

Courtesy of the blog BrickNerd.

MeinPanzer
Dec 20, 2004
anyone who reads Cinema Discusso for anything more than slackjawed trolling will see the shittiness in my posts

cat botherer posted:

I get him being a moron, but I still can't understand his literal Stanford law professor parents actually being involved in all of this. Like, c'mon. People do financial crimes all the time, you have to be very stupid to get caught.

I think it was his mom who said in an interview that she literally thought he was incapable of doing the things he was accused of because he’s too sweet and innocent. They’re conveniently naive world-class legal experts.

That amazing anecdote from Michael Lewis’ book that his parents bought a German shepherd that was expertly trained to maul someone to death when given a specific command because of all the death threats they were getting but they didn’t tell SBF what the command word was says it all really.

MeinPanzer fucked around with this message at 23:55 on Nov 2, 2023

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Chad mode over

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

now only five months until sentencing

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

Lol that was fast. I mean he was incredibly obviously guilty, but still, fast

Thaddius the Large
Jul 5, 2006

It's in the five-hole!

Scratch Monkey posted:

My guess is that they assumed they were smart enough to never get caught also “have you seen how much money were making?!”

That, and they actually were smart enough to not get caught, their idiot son got greedy and they didn’t stop him (and I believe they were actively complicit/participatory in some of it, down to advising him whose name should or shouldn’t go on various documents, using his company money for the landscaping at their house, etc)

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

zoux posted:

Chad mode over

Has there ever been such a wide spread of court room illustrator depictions for a defendant? This one has me worrying about the coming zombie hordes.

Thaddius the Large posted:

That, and they actually were smart enough to not get caught, their idiot son got greedy and they didn’t stop him (and I believe they were actively complicit/participatory in some of it, down to advising him whose name should or shouldn’t go on various documents, using his company money for the landscaping at their house, etc)

No conman can ever fully resist the allure of the sun, no matter how much their parents urge caution.

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

Gyges posted:

Has there ever been such a wide spread of court room illustrator depictions for a defendant? This one has me worrying about the coming zombie hordes.

Koburn
Oct 8, 2004

FIND THE JUDGE CHILD OR YOUR CITY DIES
Grimey Drawer
Hate to burst your collective bubble but I'm pretty sure the chad sketch was AI generated and not from any real courtroom sketch artist

MeinPanzer
Dec 20, 2004
anyone who reads Cinema Discusso for anything more than slackjawed trolling will see the shittiness in my posts

zoux posted:

Chad mode over

SBF now in his Gollum phase.

V-Men
Aug 15, 2001

Don't it make your dick bust concrete to be in the same room with two noble, selfless public servants.

zoux posted:

SBF is curretly testifying before only the judge, because his testimony is expected to be so prejudicial and damaging to his case, that the judge will later determine how much, if any, of his testimony will be heard by the jury.

https://twitter.com/canderaid/status/1719413752234410419

This is what I immediately thought of

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

V-Men posted:

This is what I immediately thought of

What are copiers?

We just don't know.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

https://twitter.com/idangolf/status/1720192908593139803

put hamas in charge of the MTA

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster
Why are people in the U.S. ripping up posters asking for information about kidnapped people a continent away?

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good
i will fight any threat to the famed and glorious white cliffs of new york bay

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

Why are people in the U.S. ripping up posters asking for information about kidnapped people a continent away?

https://twitter.com/MarkDStrauss/status/1719536820843581664

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

It's pent up frustration from early morning/late night Amber alerts originating from the other side of your state.(Does not apply to Delaware or Rhode Island)

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Gyges posted:

It's pent up frustration from early morning/late night Amber alerts originating from the other side of your state.(Does not apply to Delaware or Rhode Island)

We get them for cops :) In Houston :) :)

quote:

One U.S. Marshal deputy suffered a gunshot wound to the lower leg, while the second deputy was hit by shrapnel in the upper arm. The Harris County Sheriff's Office deputy suffered two gunshots to the upper torso but was wearing his body armor, which authorities credit with saving his life.

A fourth officer stubbed his toe.

zoux fucked around with this message at 22:15 on Nov 3, 2023

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.

deoju posted:

Image depicting the changing colors of Lego Minifigure heads since 1975.

Courtesy of the blog BrickNerd.

I want bricknerd to do a cost by piece analysis adjusted for inflation. I wanna know if the sets in the 80's were really $5,000

Ruffian Price
Sep 17, 2016

Koburn posted:

Hate to burst your collective bubble but I'm pretty sure the chad sketch was AI generated and not from any real courtroom sketch artist

Surely it's standard procedure for courtroom sketches to be published as 512x512 files

poemdexter
Feb 18, 2005

Hooray Indie Games!

College Slice

Teriyaki Hairpiece posted:

I want bricknerd to do a cost by piece analysis adjusted for inflation. I wanna know if the sets in the 80's were really $5,000

Individual pieces are always more expensive than a set, yeah?

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

Because it's just propaganda. There is of course no chance anyone who will see the posters has any useful information on where hostages in Gaza might be found, and it's an attempt to deflect from Israel killing thousands of Palestinians in the aftermath, including bombing hospitals, schools, refugee camps and ambulances.

They should not be torn down; rather they should be covered with memorial posters for the innocent Palestinians being killed and ethnically cleansed in a US-sponsored genocide.

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

MeinPanzer
Dec 20, 2004
The NYT podcast The Daily had an episode on the Nagorno-Karabakh conflict between Azerbaijan and Armenia queued up for October 6 and then had to shelve it in favour of Israel/Palestine coverage. But they didn't let a good opportunity to go to waste. Instead they published it last week as an episode, "Lessons From an Unending Conflict," that, as the title suggests, was intended to offer lessons for the I/P war taken from Nagorno-Karabakh.

The hosts go out of their way to emphasize the similarities between the two conflicts, which are actually quite different in several crucial ways, in the course of the episode, most of which is devoted to outlining how Azerbaijan and Armenia got to where they are today. Then we get to the lessons at the end:

quote:

Sabrina Tavernise:
So in the end, what finally finished this conflict wasn’t some kind of masterful diplomatic push. It was really about the Armenians coming to terms with the fact that they couldn’t win, right? That they had lost the Russian backing. The world kind of had moved on, didn’t care about it anymore. So you know, wars keep going when both sides know that they can win, and that wasn’t the case here.

Andrew Higgins:
Yeah. The Armenian side recognized reluctantly, grudgingly, and with deep bitterness, that they could not win militarily, that the Azerbaijani military was far superior, and throwing Armenian troops into this fight would have been pointless and would have just left Armenia even more exhausted, more diminished than it was with the loss of Nagorno-Karabakh.

Sabrina Tavernise:
Right. And in the end, force was what ended it.

Andrew Higgins
Yes, exactly. After decades of elaborate diplomatic formula, meetings in expensive hotels, from Key West to Geneva to Moscow, and extraordinary diplomatic efforts to solve this thing, what ended it was pure brute force. The Azerbaijanis were more powerful than the Armenians, and they won.

Sabrina Tavernise
And what does this say about the role of diplomacy in these seemingly unsolvable conflicts?

Andrew Higgins
Well, sadly, it shows diplomacy is very limited when two sides have irreconcilable demands — in this case, for a piece of territory or piece of land claimed by two people whose positions are basically unbudging. It’s ours. No, it’s ours.

Real classy "lessons" for the Palestinians here from the NYT.

cat botherer
Jan 6, 2022

I am interested in most phases of data processing.
Modern Armenian history is just so depressing. There's big fears of another round of pograms in Nagorno-Karabakh as the Azerbaijanis move in. The Azerbaijani president has essentially said so much.

Here's a map showing the area that was supposed to be included in Armenia post-WW1, and modern Armenia:

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

https://x.com/eorden/status/1721571374026621225?s=46&t=6HOSYVrXffESMo0NlyR0Lg

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

He got started on that rant because he was claiming that Scotland loves oil and hates windmills, just like him. Which is why he loves it so much and chose to own property there.

https://twitter.com/eorden/status/1721573039907787175

Murgos
Oct 21, 2010

But what if they strike oil in his hotel? Don't they get to assume they will and then value that into it's price?

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
Didn't Scotland just commit to building a bunch of windmills despite him?

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

haveblue posted:

Didn't Scotland just commit to building a bunch of windmills despite him?

They were going to build a wind farm right on the coast 2003, but the First Minister of Scotland stopped the company's permit to build it after Trump bought the property. He also had the the sand dunes at the golf course declared a "protected habitat" and helped Trump navigate land deals to make the course happen. The assumption was that the course would bring in a lot of money.

In 2011, the same company applied to create a windfarm out at sea. It wasn't going to be built on the coastline near Trump's property like the previous plan, but it would be visible from the Trump property. Trump also tried to get that blocked and it was tied up for almost 10 years in legal limbo. But, a new Scottish government fought his lawsuit and eventually won in 2019. They then issued the permit and had the farm built out at sea in early 2020.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

https://twitter.com/messedupfoods/status/1721607210071924898

Scratch Monkey
Oct 25, 2010

👰Proč bychom se netěšili🥰když nám Pán Bůh🙌🏻zdraví dá💪?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N_oIys5KS4A

"pea wets"

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.

Eh, would.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
If that's yorkshire pudding it's in, same

Meaty Ore
Dec 17, 2011

My God, it's full of cat pictures!

Absolutely. Yorkshire pudding would make a goddamn excellent hot dog bun.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

https://twitter.com/economics/status/1721858968383828038

poemdexter
Feb 18, 2005

Hooray Indie Games!

College Slice

Making the announcement wearing a jeweled crown sitting on a golden throne is just a level of not giving a poo poo that I will never achieve in my lifetime.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.