Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

sporklift
Aug 3, 2008

Feelin' it so hard.

hexwren posted:

who is this for

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ambitious Spider
Feb 13, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

I'm definitely tempted

Turbinosamente
May 29, 2013

Lights on, Lights off

Ambitious Spider posted:

I'm definitely tempted

Every day I regret not entering the contest to try and get the Husqvarna chainsaw sounds record.

joylessdivision
Jun 15, 2013

Happy Halloween to me. My Dethklok boxset finally arrived :getin:

wa27
Jan 15, 2007

caligulamprey posted:

Thanks, Sporklift! This is the first move I've done with a big record collection and oh man, gently caress records lol.

Also: goddamn, this is so dank. :fap:

Finally got mine too. Gold is cool because the 45 is colored as well. I went for the cheaper color though :v:

caligulamprey
Jan 23, 2007

It never stops.

I love the couple tracks near the end of the set where they discover amphetamines. Fast version of Social Fools is so good.

iam8bit's repressed the Grim Fandango score and I want it. I love a die cut cover.

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

The new King Gizzard album has a locked groove at the end of side B and a hidden track right behind it. My copy shows up today, so can't wait to check that out.

spookygonk
Apr 3, 2005
Does not give a damn

Enos Cabell posted:

The new King Gizzard album has a locked groove at the end of side B and a hidden track right behind it. My copy shows up today, so can't wait to check that out.

So cool.

Cemetry Gator
Apr 3, 2007

Do you find something comical about my appearance when I'm driving my automobile?

Enos Cabell posted:

That’s the same trick Olivia Rodrigo did!

JAMOOOL
Oct 18, 2004

:qq: I LOVE TWO AND HALF MEN!! YOU 20 SOMETHINGS ARE JUST TOO CYNICAL TO UNDERSTAND IT!!:qq:
on the regular or extended version? I just ordered the extended one because I knew if I got the regular I'd regret it

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

JAMOOOL posted:

on the regular or extended version? I just ordered the extended one because I knew if I got the regular I'd regret it

AFAIK it's just the standard version, and turns out there are actually locked grooves and hidden tracks on both sides on that one. I bought both versions because I'm a whore, so listening to extended now to see if they are on there. Visual inspection didn't look promising though.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cD7zcCX8F1c

Enos Cabell fucked around with this message at 23:23 on Nov 2, 2023

digitalist
Nov 17, 2000

journey into Kirk's unknown

On the topic of weird sound records, I came across someone unloading 2 boxes of his grandfather's records on reddit a few years ago. He was a Polish immigrant in the 70s so a lot of Polish rock which has been interesting but it also included this,

https://www.discogs.com/master/1077668-No-Artist-The-Mighty-US-Armed-Forces-Sound-Effects-In-Action/image/SW1hZ2U6MTg4MTkwODc=

which is exactly what you'd imagine it to be. Makes sense in a pre-internet world, maybe he was trying to learn how to identify which side to runs towards should that ever become a concern.

https://soundcloud.com/blancosuave/military-sounds

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Apparently the new John Frusciante album is different on CD because it "contains sounds that can't be pressed on vinyl"

John what the gently caress did you do

RubberLuffy
Mar 31, 2011
Finally got a new desk for my records and turntable. Grabbed a nice one from Amazon a while ago just haven't been able to put it together til today.

I've had the Polk speakers for years and they're good enough for now but they're my next upgrade when the time/money is right.

The Pioneer Elite A/V receiver was a gift from my ex's dad, it does its job and was free so hey, had that for like 3 years.

Just got the Audio Technica LP120 like a month ago.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

I know what you did last summer, and frankly I am displeased.
Did I miss anything good?

pwn
May 27, 2004

This Christmas get "Shoes"

:pwn: :pwn: :pwn: :pwn: :pwn:

CPL593H posted:

Did I miss anything good?

Records are expensive now.

(Now we just need to pull petit choux back in :bernin: )

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

I know what you did last summer, and frankly I am displeased.

pwn posted:

Records are expensive now.

(Now we just need to pull petit choux back in :bernin: )

That's the first I'm hearing of it.

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

Am I crazy for considering picking one of these up?

https://vylumi.com/

Barry
Aug 1, 2003

Hardened Criminal
It's your money, broham.

That's kinda cool? Maybe a little much for what amounts to a simple lamp but it's a niche vinyl product so not unexpected.

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

Good candidate for the gift suggestion list I guess. Kinda cool but hard to justify buying for myself.

Pretzellogic
Mar 4, 2005

"I wouldn't..."
I'd think about buying it if it also functioned as a turntable, but I'm not going to get out an LP so I can change the room's mood.

caligulamprey
Jan 23, 2007

It never stops.

Shiiiiiit, I had no idea this was a thing.

Just one of those 25-minute bursts of energy. Definitely my new go-to album to do drugs off of. :rock:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8V87iZvw3wE

caligulamprey fucked around with this message at 04:59 on Nov 8, 2023

I, Butthole
Jun 30, 2007

Begin the operations of the gas chambers, gas schools, gas universities, gas libraries, gas museums, gas dance halls, and gas threads, etcetera.
I DEMAND IT

caligulamprey posted:

Just one of those 25-minute bursts of energy. Definitely my new go-to album to do drugs off of. :rock:

Won't the drugs get stuck in the grooves :ohdear:

You could damage the turntable stylus !!!

caligulamprey
Jan 23, 2007

It never stops.

I, Butthole posted:

Won't the drugs get stuck in the grooves :ohdear:
That's okay, I'll just dab it off the vinyl with my fingers so I can rub it on my gums. :unsmigghh:

Ayyyy, I got two nights of Devo starting tonight. Backstage Booji Boy is cursed as hell:

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦
My record player is being weird and I'm not sure what could be causing the issue.

Usually when I turn it on, I will play a record and get some pretty heavy distortion. Every revolution or so, the sound will suddenly dip for a second, then come back to normal. It's really consistent. I've taken to just letting the record play on mute for a while, usually playing both sides, then I turn it back on and replay the same record and it sounds fine. It's like it needs to warm up.

Yesterday I listened to it for a couple hours straight, then just left it powered on all night until today, got home and put a record on, and it sounds fine. So the problem seems to worsen when I power it down.

It only started doing this in mid-September or so, and only after I switched it to 45 speed. It seemed to fix itself after a week or two, but then I played the 45 again and it's been doing it ever since. I'm not sure if it's got something to do with the motor or the electrics or what. It's a direct drive player with no belt, a Pioneer PL-L800, so given that it's almost 40 years old it could be anything. I'm a little worried that getting it serviced is going to cost so much that I may as well buy a new one, but this player is a beast and I am pretty attached to it since I inherited it from an uncle who passed away about 15 years ago. I'd rather not get a new one if I can avoid it, but if it's gonna cost me hundreds of dollars I may as well just get a new Audio Technica or something that isn't going to be a ticking time bomb waiting to fail.

I also replaced the stylus recently with a brand new one, which didn't seem to much affect the issue at all, so it isn't that.

Bloodplay it again
Aug 25, 2003

Oh, Dee, you card. :-*
I cannot give great advice, but the service manual can be downloaded here and there are troubleshooting flow charts starting on page 20. At the very least, if you do take it to someone, that document has absolutely every piece of information available for the turntable. Perhaps one of the flow charts can help narrow down the issue.

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

Finally got my Red Rocks boxset in, here's the haul from the past few weeks:

sporklift
Aug 3, 2008

Feelin' it so hard.

My new vinyl mix just went up today.

https://www.mixcloud.com/Radio_RapTz/moss-appeal-50-ft-pete-moss/

quote:

Purple Snow - Down By The River
The South Side Movement - I' Been Watchin' You
Bacao Rhythm and Steel Band - Bocas Del Dragon
The Space Cats - Your Eyes Are Sad
Poussez! - Boogie With Me
The Dirtbombs - Goodlife
Lee Alfred - Rockin-Poppin Full Tilting
Captain Fantastic and Starr Fleet - Undercover Lover
Slave - The Great American Funk Song
The Temptations - Psychedelic Shack
The Meters - Can You Do Without
Jimmy Witherspoon - Pearly Whites
Mardrill - Hálago
Pastor T.L. Barrett and the Youth for Christ Choir - Like a Ship (Without a Sail)

pwn
May 27, 2004

Perfect timing for my walk right now :cool:

sporklift
Aug 3, 2008

Feelin' it so hard.

pwn posted:

Perfect timing for my walk right now :cool:

Hell yeah.

pwn
May 27, 2004

quote:

The Dirtbombs - Goodlife

The riff and sound in this is reminding me so hard of something I cannot recall. It fucks tho.

Edit: mix starts with obsessive stalk talk and ends with violent spousal abuse, with some bar room mating rituals right in the middle. Wild time, thanks for the fun.

pwn fucked around with this message at 05:01 on Nov 12, 2023

sporklift
Aug 3, 2008

Feelin' it so hard.

pwn posted:

The riff and sound in this is reminding me so hard of something I cannot recall. It fucks tho.
The Dirtbombs song is a cover of a Detroit Techno song by Inner City

pwn posted:

Edit: mix starts with obsessive stalk talk and ends with violent spousal abuse, with some bar room mating rituals right in the middle. Wild time, thanks for the fun.
Yeah... realized that after I sent off the mix. Usually when recording I am just going for a flow musically and not paying too much attention to the lyrics. Unintended theme there I guess.

pwn
May 27, 2004

sporklift posted:

The Dirtbombs song is a cover of a Detroit Techno song by Inner City

Yeah... realized that after I sent off the mix. Usually when recording I am just going for a flow musically and not paying too much attention to the lyrics. Unintended theme there I guess.

No apologies, it was a fun time!

Nightmare Cinema
Apr 4, 2020

no.

Per usual, this fucks.

sporklift
Aug 3, 2008

Feelin' it so hard.

Nightmare Cinema posted:

Per usual, this fucks.

Thank you!

Arcella
Dec 16, 2013

Shiny and Chrome
My wife and I have been trying to do less "sit and watch TV while also just being on our phones" So we'll listen to records some evenings. Last Friday I had time to go by the local record shop:

sporklift
Aug 3, 2008

Feelin' it so hard.

Finally reissued!

https://folkways.si.edu/sounds-of-north-american-frogs/science-nature/album/smithsonian

digitalist
Nov 17, 2000

journey into Kirk's unknown

:frogon:

Been listening to a lot of this lately,

https://mangelrecords.bandcamp.com/album/s-t-4

so I decided to go ahead and order the vinyl and picked up a few other things from the label since I'm already paying a king's ransom for shipping. Das Kinn, Liiek, and Mellie. The first two of that bunch are a little out of my recent style rotation but trying out some new stuff. This one in particular, https://mangelrecords.bandcamp.com/track/fog I enjoyed.

RC and Moon Pie
May 5, 2011

Fantasy is my favorite Earth, Wind & Fire song.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Read After Burning
Feb 19, 2013

"All this, for me? 💃Ah, you didn't have to! 🥰"
I'm about ready for another marathon of the full Pointer Sisters discography. :cool: