Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

death cob for cutie posted:

Speaking of tailoring your Rimworld experience - that Cherrypicker mod, can that be used to disable events? The Deserters mod is pretty cool, but the no-alert sniper equipped with the bullshit infinite-range needle rifle is incredibly annoying.

Doesn't that only occur as a punishment for constantly loving with the empire and walking directly into surveillance pillars and whatnot? Have you tried laying low for a little bit

The no-alert aspect is pretty hilarious imo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Although I haven't actually played the Deserters mod, so maybe it's really hard to keep the heat down without just losing all of your intel constantly, idk. It sounds like a cool mod though. Maybe the main thing they're missing is a quest type that reduces visibility; "Destroy Listening Post" or something like that, where the reward is primarily to reduce visibility. The mod page makes it really hard to determine how much visibility you get from the different quests. I had to look this up in their codebase:

https://github.com/Vanilla-Expanded/VanillaFactionsExpanded-Deserters/blob/main/1.4/Defs/QuestScriptDefs/PlotMission.xml#L146C25-L146C50

XML code:
<raid CombatLevel="High">
                                <li Class="VFED.QuestNode_ValueFromTitle">
                                    <value>$nobleTitle</value>
                                    <storeAs>visibilityGain</storeAs>
                                    <values>
                                        <Knight>2</Knight>
                                        <Praetor>4</Praetor>
                                        <Baron>6</Baron>
                                        <Count>9</Count>
                                        <VFEE_Archcount>12</VFEE_Archcount>
                                        <VFEE_Marquess>16</VFEE_Marquess>
                                        <Duke>18</Duke>
                                        <VFEE_Archduke>20</VFEE_Archduke>
                                        <Consul>22</Consul>
                                        <VFEE_Magister>24</VFEE_Magister>
                                        <VFEE_Despot>30</VFEE_Despot>
                                        <Stellarch>40</Stellarch>
                                        <VFEE_HighStellarch>50</VFEE_HighStellarch>
                                    </values>
                                </li>
It seems like only the "assassination" plot quests give you visibility, not the other quest types. So space out these main quests and avoid surveillance pillars? Is that it? Maybe that's not true and there's a visibility increased hard-coded for the other quests rather than in the XML, I'm not sure

QuarkJets fucked around with this message at 22:58 on Oct 29, 2023

death cob for cutie
Dec 30, 2006

dwarves won't delve no more
too much splatting down on Zot:4

QuarkJets posted:

Doesn't that only occur as a punishment for constantly loving with the empire and walking directly into surveillance pillars and whatnot? Have you tried laying low for a little bit

The no-alert aspect is pretty hilarious imo

Maybe this was patched at some point but my first game with it early after release, I literally ended up with two pawns bleeding out in my cornfield with no idea why until I looked for the rear end in a top hat responsible. Like, third game day.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

death cob for cutie posted:

Maybe this was patched at some point but my first game with it early after release, I literally ended up with two pawns bleeding out in my cornfield with no idea why until I looked for the rear end in a top hat responsible. Like, third game day.

It sounds like that event is not supposed to occur unless you're above 80 visibility; I can confirm that in the XMLs. Were you using the custom scenario that comes with the mod? That comes with 85 visibility, so you could totally experience that event in the first 5 days. Bad luck I guess

Otherwise I'd guess maybe there was a weird interaction with another mod that messes with event likelihood? That possibility feels likely too, depending on the mods

death cob for cutie
Dec 30, 2006

QuarkJets posted:

It sounds like that event is not supposed to occur unless you're above 80 visibility; I can confirm that in the XMLs. Were you using the custom scenario that comes with the mod? That comes with 85 visibility, so you could totally experience that event in the first 5 days. Bad luck I guess

Yeah, it was using the starting scenario - so that checks out.

It would be nice if at least it triggered an alert when your pawn gets hit/wounded - when I'm dragging out designations or setting up schedules I don't expect a colonist to suddenly get downed.

isndl
May 2, 2012
I WON A CONTEST IN TG AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS CUSTOM TITLE
It's been a while since the last patch, and now the devs have pushed an update to the unstable branch while asking specifically for stability feedback with large mod lists. Might be something big coming!

StealthArcher
Jan 10, 2010

Given this is the first year since 2019 without an xpack announcement by now I'm honestly wondering if all the unity bs spooked Tynan.

Eiba
Jul 26, 2007

The Rimworld tradition is to launch a full expansion with an announcement just a few weeks ahead of time. Nothing being announced is normal.

Apparently they gave some streamers a heads up (a long time ago) that they're expecting to release something near the end of the year, so as not to catch the community "influencers" off guard like they usually do, so I wouldn't be surprised if there's another out of nowhere announcement in the next month or so.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one

Previous expacs have dropped about 15 to 18 months after the previous release and Biotech was last October, so anything around December is probably feasible, though I think early next year is more likely (then again if they've told influencers something is coming this year, that's pretty good evidence? And Ludeon must have a solid manager somewhere in the org chart because they seem to be consistently putting out content without major delays)

Ms Adequate fucked around with this message at 10:55 on Nov 2, 2023

Heffer
May 1, 2003

Ms Adequate posted:

Previous expacs have dropped about 15 to 18 months after the previous release and Biotech was last October, so anything around December is probably feasible, though I think early next year is more likely (then again if they've told influencers something is coming this year, that's pretty good evidence? And Ludeon must have a solid manager somewhere in the org chart because they seem to be consistently putting out content without major delays)

It's kind of a miracle honestly. Have there been any articles on how he grew it from just himself to a whole company?

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one

Heffer posted:

It's kind of a miracle honestly. Have there been any articles on how he grew it from just himself to a whole company?

I'm not really aware of much in that vein, a cursory look isn't really turning up like interviews with Tynan after about 2019 and I can't spot anything that is going into that side of things rather than 'Why did Rimworld become a hit?' Which is certainly an interesting topic in its own right but doesn't really cover any aspect of your question beyond 'Tynan got a fuckload of money'

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
SOME REALLY TEDIOUS DUMB SHIT THAT SUCKS ASS TO READ ->>

Heffer posted:

he did a gdc talk in 2019 which was right around the time that the game started to get a lot bigger. there's also https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SaqYff8kEs8 which is a more recent informal conversation with him where he talks about the origin and growth of rimworld.

bitterandtwisted
Sep 4, 2006

Can human raiders attack via caves that reach the map edge?

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

bitterandtwisted posted:

Yes

isndl
May 2, 2012
I WON A CONTEST IN TG AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS CUSTOM TITLE

bitterandtwisted posted:

As far as I remember, the engine does not recognize a map edge under mountain roof as a valid entry point for the map - you can see this in action with a map designer mod to live in a fully enclosed ravine. Raiders can still use a cave system as a shortcut however if the walls are thin enough and they've decided to tunnel.

bitterandtwisted
Sep 4, 2006

Dang. Revealing new areas is a risky move

moot the hopple
Apr 26, 2008

dyslexic Bowie clone
What's everyone's base looking like? Here's my current 13-person colony:

This is my first real dive back into the game since Biotech dropped so I kind of went safe and predictable. I'm thinking about starting a new colony that is more of a departure from standard play like a mechanitor or sanguophage based run with a more roleplaying/thematic ideology to go with it. I wish I could also break free of the paradigm of planned out, regimented base in favor of something that's more organic and naturalistic. Please share your bases and give me some inspiration!

The Velvet Witch
Jul 24, 2017

"I don't have a "make better posts" spell, you're on your own."

moot the hopple posted:

What's everyone's base looking like?

21 people over 6.5 years, we're in the process of rebuilding our armored division after a particularly nasty siege took a couple from us lmao.

Now that we even have armor support in the first place I've been taking them on more and more kill missions around the globe, bounty hunting is hot right now and momma needs to feed her gold addiction 💅

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

LET ME TELL YOU ABOUT MY DOG
Happy 10 year anniversary Rimworld :corsair:

https://twitter.com/LudeonStudios/status/1720964171787907321

Moon Slayer
Jun 19, 2007

moot the hopple posted:

What's everyone's base looking like?

This was my last real big colony. It got a few more buildings and a half dozen more colonists after this screenshot was taken before the house of cards that was my mod list collapsed and the many good games released this fall distracted me.

Moon Slayer posted:

I'm a sucker for making villages rather than bases. It's technically suboptimal from a hauling perspective but separating out your spaces and putting roads between them makes it look really nice.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

moot the hopple posted:

What's everyone's base looking like? Here's my current 13-person colony:

This is my first real dive back into the game since Biotech dropped so I kind of went safe and predictable. I'm thinking about starting a new colony that is more of a departure from standard play like a mechanitor or sanguophage based run with a more roleplaying/thematic ideology to go with it. I wish I could also break free of the paradigm of planned out, regimented base in favor of something that's more organic and naturalistic. Please share your bases and give me some inspiration!
Are those wood paths running down the middle of the hallways?

HelloSailorSign
Jan 27, 2011

Nah, looks like regular stone tiles.

LonsomeSon
Nov 22, 2009

A fishperson in an intimidating hat!

Zoom in, they’re stone tiles. The floor for the hallways is slate flagstones along the walls and…sandstone? tile down the middle

Taeke
Feb 2, 2010

Rimworld has been giving me an issue recently where it creates a player.log file that's loving huge after only a couple hours of play. I'm talking 70 gigs huge. Probably would've been bigger if it didn't fill up my drive. Deleting it doesn't seem to affect anything (I figured it was just a log of something and risked losing a couple hours of gameplay.)

What's causing this and how do I fix it?

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

got any mods, specifically ones that have updated recently? if not, have you tried creating a blank player.log file and making it read-only?

Taeke
Feb 2, 2010

Yeah, I have a couple dozen mods running. Mostly Vanilla Expanded stuff, some QoL stuff and right now I'm running Zombieland, Real Ruins and RimCities which are the big ones I think. I'm doing it all through Fluffy's Mod Manager mod. The game takes a couple of minutes to load and throws up a bunch of errors when it starts but nothing seems broken (aside from this issue) and I'm sure my mod order is suboptimal as gently caress but the mod manager isn't throwing up any red flags and plays fine and I have no idea where to even begin getting the mod order sorted.

I'll try creating a blank player.log file and making it read only, though, good idea! I'm guessing that's where the mod errors get reported and there's some recursive loop going on. Come to think of it, when I close the game it freezes and I have to quit it when the screen greys out and windows asks me if I just want to kill the process or whatever, which would make sense with it just going on an infinite loop of reporting poo poo I think.

I'm not a computer person anymore and nowadays I don't have the patience, time and energy needed to figuring this out properly and fix it lol

Tesla was right
Apr 3, 2009

Whats with all the robot sex avatars?
I've also found that if I turn on debug mode I quickly find out if something's wrong, because the endless console spam makes it impossible to play the game.

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

OK if you're not able to close the game properly due to hanging then that will cause the log to remain and grow endlessly, as it never gets wiped. Casual googling indicates the log remains on unexpected game closure, as, well, that's kinda the point of it.

Some mod is doing something weird and writing a bunch of errors, which are not getting cleared and are being added to endlessly. Hopefully the read-only log fixes it!

Inexplicable Humblebrag fucked around with this message at 01:01 on Nov 7, 2023

moot the hopple
Apr 26, 2008

dyslexic Bowie clone

The Velvet Witch posted:

21 people over 6.5 years, we're in the process of rebuilding our armored division after a particularly nasty siege took a couple from us lmao.

Now that we even have armor support in the first place I've been taking them on more and more kill missions around the globe, bounty hunting is hot right now and momma needs to feed her gold addiction 💅

Moon Slayer posted:

This was my last real big colony. It got a few more buildings and a half dozen more colonists after this screenshot was taken before the house of cards that was my mod list collapsed and the many good games released this fall distracted me.

Nice. I also love the idea of a more open, village type colony made out of discrete, individual buildings. I've been slowly breaking myself of the habit of making a mountain warren base where the only part above ground is a heavily fortified entrance/kill zone. My current base is still clinging to those old traditions since it abuts a mountain and the bedrooms and dining hall are located beneath overhead mountain roof but I'm trying to move away from that. A scrunched up together base does make it easy to just throw up some roofing and simple zoning to deal with toxic fallout or to easily funnel enemies during drop pod raids, but these days I want to go more for aesthetics. I'm just crap about making my base look like a place people would actually live in instead of a compound delineated according to gameplay.

Moon Slayer
Jun 19, 2007

I laid out the central plaza and parts of the road network before unpausing on day 1, that forced me to start considering the layout right away.

Goobish
May 31, 2011

My current colony has been one of my favorites just by chance. I have a mod that adds the mount animals from WoW, and my starting pets were 3 colorful raptors. They instantly started breeding and there seems to be no end to their pretty color combinations. So I have a raptor breeding facility now! I also breed Kodos and they're pretty much as good or better than elephants. It's probably the first time I've really focused on having a ranch like colony and it's been super fun! I'm just nervous about becoming too rich, because I worry that if I need a kill box the animals will set off the traps on themselves. I've not had luck in the past with that issue, even when trying to zone them out of a kill box.

Telsa Cola
Aug 19, 2011

No... this is all wrong... this whole operation has just gone completely sidewaysface

Goobish posted:

My current colony has been one of my favorites just by chance. I have a mod that adds the mount animals from WoW, and my starting pets were 3 colorful raptors. They instantly started breeding and there seems to be no end to their pretty color combinations. So I have a raptor breeding facility now! I also breed Kodos and they're pretty much as good or better than elephants. It's probably the first time I've really focused on having a ranch like colony and it's been super fun! I'm just nervous about becoming too rich, because I worry that if I need a kill box the animals will set off the traps on themselves. I've not had luck in the past with that issue, even when trying to zone them out of a kill box.

Get the animal genetic mod, breed super fast raptors and meaty af kodos, drown in meat.

George Sex - REAL
Dec 1, 2005

Bisssssssexual
On the new content front: a new unstable build was released six days ago and is available for download. This is the first one since March. No change log currently available.

The Velvet Witch
Jul 24, 2017

"I don't have a "make better posts" spell, you're on your own."

moot the hopple posted:

Nice. I also love the idea of a more open, village type colony made out of discrete, individual buildings. I've been slowly breaking myself of the habit of making a mountain warren base where the only part above ground is a heavily fortified entrance/kill zone. My current base is still clinging to those old traditions since it abuts a mountain and the bedrooms and dining hall are located beneath overhead mountain roof but I'm trying to move away from that. A scrunched up together base does make it easy to just throw up some roofing and simple zoning to deal with toxic fallout or to easily funnel enemies during drop pod raids, but these days I want to go more for aesthetics. I'm just crap about making my base look like a place people would actually live in instead of a compound delineated according to gameplay.

I love building bases with the idea that we're going to fight IN this thing like, that entire street is covered in lamps and little nooks pawns can hide in to shoot from. I think someone here said they build their bases like CSGO maps and thank you for that because I've internalized it.

death cob for cutie
Dec 30, 2006

Usually I do mountain bases with space outside for crops, or maybe a few small outbuildings - maybe visitor bedrooms, for example. A few times recently though what I've wanted to do is kind of a hybrid of the enclosed mountain base and a more natural "village". The idea is that there's an under-mountain "keep" of sorts, where all the really important stuff is kept - the hospital, stockpiled food storage, the armory, some critical workshops, other valuables - and then buildings outside of that for housing, less critical workshops, and such. The keep area is set up so that there's some fortifications to hunker behind and repel raids from, alongside some emplacements around the rest of the area, and there's still a wall around the entire thing to keep it from getting overwhelmed by 100 manhunting gougars or whatever.

It really sucks to get hit with a drop pod raid and have the landing raiders crush something expensive like a high-tech research bench or fabrication bench, or having them land in the hospital and immediately killing survivors of the last raid. Having them ruin a tailoring bench or crush someone's bed, though, is less of a worry.

Taeke
Feb 2, 2010

Inexplicable Humblebrag posted:

got any mods, specifically ones that have updated recently? if not, have you tried creating a blank player.log file and making it read-only?

Making it read only seems to have worked, thanks!

Red_Fred
Oct 21, 2010

Fallen Rib
I had my first ally drop by to help with a raid last night. I didn’t call them, they just appeared a day after the raid kicked off. Made it very easy.

Then strangely enough another raid began just as they were leaving and both parties basically took each other out while I mortared.

Turns out all those thousands of corn I’ve been launching at them paid off!

George Sex - REAL
Dec 1, 2005

Bisssssssexual

Eiba posted:

Apparently they gave some streamers a heads up (a long time ago) that they're expecting to release something near the end of the year, so as not to catch the community "influencers" off guard like they usually do, so I wouldn't be surprised if there's another out of nowhere announcement in the next month or so.

Do you recall the source of this rumor? One of the devs in the bug reporting discord today said that they haven't told anyone anything.

Eiba
Jul 26, 2007

George Sex - REAL posted:

Do you recall the source of this rumor? One of the devs in the bug reporting discord today said that they haven't told anyone anything.
Adam Vs Everything mentioned it a couple times. He said he and others were told they'd be given a heads up when the next expansion was coming out, in contrast to how they had to drop everything when they were blindsided by Biotech. I have his stuff on in the background often and he's pretty prolific so damned if I know which video he said it in.

I may have misremembered what vague dates, if any, he said they gave him.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Goobish
May 31, 2011

Telsa Cola posted:

Get the animal genetic mod, breed super fast raptors and meaty af kodos, drown in meat.

Thank you for this suggestion! This has been a fun run. But for whatever reason the empire hates me now. I guess it doesn't really matter, I just feel like I'm missing out on those honor quests and rewards. Pretty sure it's a bug from one of the millions of mods I use, unless i somehow permanently pissed them off. I tried sending them corn several times but they still loving hate me (-100 lol). Not sure if there's another way to change faction rep, like maybe somehow in dev mode?