Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Chin Strap
Nov 24, 2002

I failed my TFLC Toxx, but I no longer need a double chin strap :buddy:
Pillbug
I've been playing on my steam deck and been really happy with the community config that I'm running. It isn't based on the controller config it is more of a use the touch pads as a mouse style config.

But I come to realize now that I've been playing for the last. I don't know 40 hours on my steam deck with my refresh rate fixed to 40 frames per second. So does that mean 40 updates per second too? Then have I been running at like 2/3 speed this entire time?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Solumin
Jan 11, 2013
FPS and UPS are separate, as far as I know. Does the community config lower the game speed?

Chin Strap
Nov 24, 2002

Pillbug
I play most steam deck stuff at 40 fps because battery life

Tamba
Apr 5, 2010

Press F5 (hook up a keyboard or temporarily rebind a key :shrug:), then check the "show fps" option. It will show both FPS and UPS, which should hopefully be 40/60 in your case

Teledahn
May 14, 2009

What is that bear doing there?

Friends, Factory builders, Engineers!

Check that this setting is enabled. It is off by default. I suspect I am spending some time rebuilding my library in the future.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
I simply manage my blueprints across PCs and installs by adding them to a source control repo so that I may also version control and organize which blueprints I still need to design.

Not serious but that's what I'd do if I wanted blueprints available across saves anyway.

VictualSquid
Feb 29, 2012

Gently enveloping the target with indiscriminate love.
The official optimal nuclear setup is getting funnier each time I look:

Phobeste
Apr 9, 2006

never, like, count out Touchdown Tom, man
Nobody can call you a one pump chump ever again

Half-wit
Aug 31, 2005

Half a wit more than baby Asahel, or half a wit less? You decide.

VictualSquid posted:

The official optimal nuclear setup is getting funnier each time I look:

Amd what exactly is this being optimized for?

VictualSquid
Feb 29, 2012

Half-wit posted:

Amd what exactly is this being optimized for?

Speed.
It is from the 100% speedrun. Download the save yourself and walk through the base, it embodies the true meaning of factorio.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
I would think that for a speedrun a less optimal but easier to hand-build (and still "good enough") build would be preferred.

Unless this is a preexisting-blueprints-allowed speedrun?

Mailer
Nov 4, 2009

Have you accepted The Void as your lord and savior?
There's something so very Factorio about using half your power output to power pumps needed for your power output.

Phobeste
Apr 9, 2006

never, like, count out Touchdown Tom, man
I think the 100% speedruns are still about finding new lower minima in surprising places rather than optimizing every mouseclick

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
Actually if this is 100%, isn't it basically "produce a ludicrous number of green chips as fast as possible and everything else is incidental"?

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Didn't you mean to ask about flowers?
Yeah, the 20m is out of proportion with everything else and I wonder how much time they spend just connecting iron and copper feeds. Or setting up chains of inserters stuffing chests with useless circuitry.

I set up a reasonable hourly output and reloaded a save once a day before reading a book. Took a few weeks. I could've aggressively expanded my circuit farms but the save was set up after I did so 3-4 times past beating the game already...

VictualSquid
Feb 29, 2012

Jabor posted:

I would think that for a speedrun a less optimal but easier to hand-build (and still "good enough") build would be preferred.

Unless this is a preexisting-blueprints-allowed speedrun?

Yes, the 100% speedrun allows premade blueprints. You rush for bots and then it turns into a bot management game.

And because the blueprints have 100s of hours of planning in them you get really crazy circuit magic in surprising places and ideas like using red inserters instead of belts to transport nuke fuel.
It used to be that the 20M greens achievement was utterly dominating the run, but recently that part has become so optimized that 100% research or the second rocket launch takes longer.

meowmeowmeowmeow
Jan 4, 2017
When you talk about x spm do you include military? I initially assumed not and then realized artillery range research requires military (duh), so now I'm wondering if I should add that to my 60 spm base or not.

Mailer
Nov 4, 2009

Have you accepted The Void as your lord and savior?

meowmeowmeowmeow posted:

When you talk about x spm do you include military? I initially assumed not and then realized artillery range research requires military (duh), so now I'm wondering if I should add that to my 60 spm base or not.

It's all science, so you're producing 60 of each every minute. I guess there's no reason you couldn't count it beforehand but I've only ever heard of it referred to in terms of infinite upgrades where you're producing X science per minute to consume it on upgrades that take all types.

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

meowmeowmeowmeow posted:

My initial base that is typically built to 120spm will generally have military at the same speed, but when I've then gone on to a megabase doing like 2700 spm that generally will not have science as part of that new base as when I do a megabase I am usually turning the biters off.

I did do one approximately 1000 spm base where I was playing with deathworld settings and I included military in that build for the infinite military upgrades.

Even if I am starting with biters off, my initial base will have military science because I'm kinda OCD and can't stand to see researches that are incomplete. :)

meowmeowmeowmeow
Jan 4, 2017
I think thats what confused me, a lot of megabases I've seen are -military and 'infinite research' is just for mining prod or whatever, not artillery. I can support 60spm of military within the overhead of my existing production, so I'm gonna add it in to boost arty range.

I've got biters on peaceful, expansion off, and pollution off as a balance between can't totally ignore the military side of things and need to clear them to expand, but don't have to constantly deal with them. Arty range increase will make clearing them easier, but tbh nuke rockets and a ton of exos has been working pretty good for the last couple nests.

LonsomeSon
Nov 22, 2009

A fishperson in an intimidating hat!

Nuclear artillery is really the final word in map clearance. If you’re still hauling your arsenal around on your person like a god drat caveman you should try it out.

I actually can’t remember if nuclear artillery is vanilla

VictualSquid
Feb 29, 2012

meowmeowmeowmeow posted:

I think thats what confused me, a lot of megabases I've seen are -military and 'infinite research' is just for mining prod or whatever, not artillery. I can support 60spm of military within the overhead of my existing production, so I'm gonna add it in to boost arty range.

I've got biters on peaceful, expansion off, and pollution off as a balance between can't totally ignore the military side of things and need to clear them to expand, but don't have to constantly deal with them. Arty range increase will make clearing them easier, but tbh nuke rockets and a ton of exos has been working pretty good for the last couple nests.

Deploy a line of construction spidertrons that lay down a long traintrack and an artillery outpost base that gets automatically supplied with ammunition. The real factorio way of clearing biters.

Follower robot count is the actual spm measurement method I prefer, it needs all colours at once. But, military research is fairly trivial to stuff into a corner for distributed bases.

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

LonsomeSon posted:

Nuclear artillery is really the final word in map clearance. If you’re still hauling your arsenal around on your person like a god drat caveman you should try it out.

I actually can’t remember if nuclear artillery is vanilla

It is not vanilla unless my memory has completely failed me!

Xerol
Jan 13, 2007

I usually build out my postgame military science to be about 1/4-1/3 of the size of the main production, but with a huge buffer. That way it can Just Run while other research is going on and when there's enough buffered I can do an artillery range or bullet damage or whatever's up next.

meowmeowmeowmeow
Jan 4, 2017
I've got the artillery garrison designed and a train that carries all the supplies to build it, now I've got a spider to do my rail expansion I'm along the way to fully automated base expansion.

Bummer the spider is a little too fast to deploy bots as it walks (maybe I need faster bots idk (maybe they're already maxed idk that either)) so it needs a bit of micro to built a long train line.

I also sat down and fixed my intersection blueprint so any non-crossing use is possible simultaneously and made my T intersection and 90deg turn stripped variants of the 4-way so its a lot easier to just blast down and adjust later.

Pretty sure nuke artillery isn't vanilla.

I also want to just bail on my megabase and do a k2 run, might get that going but I'm enjoying figuring out my new spidery toy rn. Maybe k2 with a spidertron to start, scenario being the ship crashes and only the engineer and a spidertron survive.

Chin Strap
Nov 24, 2002

Pillbug
Is there a mod to have bitter corpses disappear very quickly? They make the ground hard to see otherwise

Tamba
Apr 5, 2010

This looks like it does what you want
https://mods.factorio.com/mod/Noxys_QuickerStumpFade

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

meowmeowmeowmeow posted:

Bummer the spider is a little too fast to deploy bots as it walks (maybe I need faster bots idk (maybe they're already maxed idk that either)) so it needs a bit of micro to built a long train line.

Robot worker speed is one of your infinite research items. You can make them silly fast eventually.

meowmeowmeowmeow
Jan 4, 2017
I decided to jump into k2 instead of scale.my vanilla base and have enjoyed the first two hours or so of gameplay, but man setting up the mall there's a ton of intermediate products to keep track of, even just plates/beams/sticks means I have stuff all over the place. Normally I bus anything more dense than plates, so I guess I'd belt iron beams but not sticks?

It's fun figuring out all the new recipes and production chains and I'm not even to green circuits yet!

Xerol
Jan 13, 2007

The other option is to just make a spider army large enough that there are more available bots than jobs; it can also be helpful to have fewer roboports per spider because they'll have smaller range and won't fly as far away from the spider. Even with super overpowered late-postgame bots they're gonna have to stop and charge eventually. (One thing that helps, if it meshes with your desired playstyle, is adding a mod to extend bot capacity research, since a bot can then carry 6-8 or more rails/etc. at once resulting in more work done per charging cycle.)

Zeratanis
Jun 16, 2009

That's kind of a weird thought isn't it?

meowmeowmeowmeow posted:

I decided to jump into k2 instead of scale.my vanilla base and have enjoyed the first two hours or so of gameplay, but man setting up the mall there's a ton of intermediate products to keep track of, even just plates/beams/sticks means I have stuff all over the place. Normally I bus anything more dense than plates, so I guess I'd belt iron beams but not sticks?

It's fun figuring out all the new recipes and production chains and I'm not even to green circuits yet!

I went the same route a few few days back. There's a lot I love about K2 so far about 50 hours in and finally starting to set my Real Base up, but drat automation cores and such were absolutely frying my brain at points.

This was my attempt to design a mall for K2, a few versions behind (I had added a bunch of stuff like concrete, nuclear items, tier 2 miners, etc) before I finally unlocked the extra logistics chests. Not pictured here is a second "mall" mixed in with all my tech card production where a lot of higher tier buildings and other bits were being made in a spaghetti horror, instead pictured here:

Since then, I've made a shiny bot mall on the west side where I'm slowly putting together a massive rail network to actually be more modular for once. The mall in the first picture has since been torn down because it offended me so.

I love modded Factorio. :shepface: Can't wait to eventually dive into something goofy like Angel/Bobs, or SE with K2 included.

IMlemon
Dec 29, 2008
I've been playing SE for 150 hours or so.

It's a great mod overall, but I'm totally fed up with setting up new planets. I already did it three times, and I need to do it twice more for holmium and vitemelange. It was fun the first time, but now that I have my approach and blueprints down it's just tedious work. I think I'll take a break and maybe come back when a new version hits. I've heard the author will try to make other planets more interesting, so it should make it more engaging. I'll really miss the beacon overload mechanic and the remote view though.

Anyways, I'm considering starting another overhaul mod. I did some vanilla megabases, K2, and now SE. SE felt about right difficulty wise. I'm thinking about these:

- Exotic industries
- Nullius
- Seablock

Any opinions?

Kafouille
Nov 5, 2004

Think Fast !
I've had a lot of fun so far with Nullius. It's fairly difficult but not Py-tier, and it seems to have more thought to actual game design built into it than the average Factorio mod, both in terms of pacing and production chain design to enable different puzzles to solve than vanilla.

Solumin
Jan 11, 2013

IMlemon posted:

I've been playing SE for 150 hours or so.

It's a great mod overall, but I'm totally fed up with setting up new planets. I already did it three times, and I need to do it twice more for holmium and vitemelange. It was fun the first time, but now that I have my approach and blueprints down it's just tedious work. I think I'll take a break and maybe come back when a new version hits. I've heard the author will try to make other planets more interesting, so it should make it more engaging. I'll really miss the beacon overload mechanic and the remote view though.

Anyways, I'm considering starting another overhaul mod. I did some vanilla megabases, K2, and now SE. SE felt about right difficulty wise. I'm thinking about these:

- Exotic industries
- Nullius
- Seablock

Any opinions?

There's also 248k, which is at a similar difficulty level as Exotic Industries. I've only played it a little, and it's my first complex overhaul mod with ore washing and the like, so i can't really give a review of it.

There's also Freight Forwarding, which is a very good vanilla+ experience. It's more about solving logistical challenges than recipe complexity, though it does add some new ores like lead and cobalt.

Freaksaus
Jun 13, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Just got back from a long trip and reading all the factorio facts had got me itching to play again. Instead of going back to my py save though I decided to start a K2 run for something a little more relaxed, only with very very low resources. Oil and mineral water being the only things not in 17% as I feel like I'd go insane otherwise.

My starting iron patch had a whopping 4.4k Iron ore and about 1 hour in I already had to setup my miners (still burners at this stage) on another patch, bit further out and 66k so far. Of course now that I've got that running my coal and copper have run out and I'll of course have to use my precious little iron on bullets for the biters.

This'll be great

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Didn't you mean to ask about flowers?
I admire your tenacity.

Must be the season for it with expansion previews reminding everybody about Factorio. I lost interest in redesigning a proper base 2/3 of the way into my last K2 and restarted this week. Feels good to optimize my start.

darthbob88
Oct 13, 2011

YOSPOS

Solumin posted:

There's also 248k, which is at a similar difficulty level as Exotic Industries. I've only played it a little, and it's my first complex overhaul mod with ore washing and the like, so i can't really give a review of it.

There's also Freight Forwarding, which is a very good vanilla+ experience. It's more about solving logistical challenges than recipe complexity, though it does add some new ores like lead and cobalt.
Lead, cobalt, and titanium ores, plus you also need to mix cobalt, titanium, and steel in lava pools to make titansteel for rockets. The only big new workflows you have to deal with are cobalt extraction, seafloor dredging generally, and possibly dealing with nuclear waste to get plutonium for more powerful reactors/bombs. Otherwise, as I said before when it came up, the fundamental problem of Freight Forwarding is "I need to put a container full of iron on a train to a ship to another train to my main base, and then I need to send the empty container back to the mine to start the cycle again".

(Also there's some recipe complexity, because it changes the recipes for eg big power poles and electric furnaces to require lead, and steam turbines to require titanium, so my mall blueprints are largely useless. :( )

Xerol
Jan 13, 2007

If you want to go really insane you can run this after starting (and add other resources to the first command as needed) to get even lower richness than the UI allows you to do.

pre:
/c local s,l=game.surfaces.nauvis,{"coal","copper-ore","iron-ore","stone","uranium-ore"} 
local m=s.map_gen_settings 
for _,r in pairs(l) do 
    m.autoplace_controls[r].richness=.01
end 
s.map_gen_settings=m 
for _,e in pairs(s.find_entities_filtered{name=l}) do 
    e.destroy() 
end 
s.regenerate_entity(l)
Replace .01 with smaller values for greater insanity. (Also I assume you'll need to do this for other surfaces if the mod has them.)

I've only tried this on (mostly) vanilla games, no idea how bad this will make heavily modded ones. Probably very.

Xerol fucked around with this message at 17:38 on Nov 7, 2023

Freaksaus
Jun 13, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Any lower than my current settings and I'm not sure if I would've had the resources to make enough bullets to get to the next ore patches.

No clue on how things will be once I get a bit further out there, but even a 60k iron patch isn't going to last very long if I try and ramp up production. Without biters I guess it would be doable, but the sheer iron requirements for the long belts, even the copper for the power poles would be pretty taxing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Freaksaus posted:

Any lower than my current settings and I'm not sure if I would've had the resources to make enough bullets to get to the next ore patches.

No clue on how things will be once I get a bit further out there, but even a 60k iron patch isn't going to last very long if I try and ramp up production. Without biters I guess it would be doable, but the sheer iron requirements for the long belts, even the copper for the power poles would be pretty taxing.

I can't even imagine playing on a map like that. I'm okay with rail-world settings, but in general setting up mines is the most boring part of the game once I've solved it, so if anything I go the other direction on richness and size while making them less frequent.