Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

killerwhat
May 13, 2010

First time my dog heard fireworks she was unfortunately off lead on Brighton beach. She legged it, running for her life as far as she was concerned. Me and equally unfit husband couldn’t keep up but luckily there were no roads to cross and some random strangers caught her. Second time she heard fireworks she tried to hide in a bin in the garden, shaking.

We gave her a lot of tinned tuna and she isn’t much bothered these days :toot:

E: 254 is a “lazy caterer number” :confused:

killerwhat fucked around with this message at 10:03 on Nov 6, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jakabite
Jul 31, 2010

killerwhat posted:

First time my dog heard fireworks she was unfortunately off lead on Brighton beach. She legged it, running for her life as far as she was concerned. Me and equally unfit husband couldn’t keep up but luckily there were no roads to cross and some random strangers caught her. Second time she heard fireworks she tried to hide in a bin in the garden, shaking.

We gave her a lot of tinned tuna and she isn’t much bothered these days :toot:

E: 254 is a “lazy caterer number” :confused:

Well I just learned something. Apparently a lazy caterer number is a maximum number of slices a circle and be chopped into with a given number of straight cuts. I think it would be more lazy to just cut a few more times and not worry so much about exactly where you’re cutting though.

Runcible Cat
May 28, 2007

Ignoring this post

smellmycheese posted:

It absolutely astonishes me in our “elf and safety gone mad” culture that members of the public can , once a year, walk into shops and buy aimable explosives which they can then detonate as they see fit. Ban the loving things.

Source: my poor wee dog last week :(

My extremely nervous semiferal cat could not give less of a poo poo and dozed happily on his window cat tree while the neighbours let off WWIII over the rooftops.

His bold, brash, other-people's-homes-invading adopted-younger-brother retired behind the laundry basket for the night. I was glad to find him there TBH, I was worried that he'd gone out adventuring.

Ed: cat tax

Runcible Cat fucked around with this message at 10:33 on Nov 6, 2023

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

Failed Imagineer posted:

Poor lil dude.

Luckily my small furry girl doesn't seem to give a shite about fireworks, but it's definitely made me more annoyed by the annual six weeks of constant explosions

I do get the impression dogs are a lot more worried about them than cats, my cat will jump at anything within the house but doesn't give two shits about fireworks. 'Not on my territory? Not my problem mate'

DesperateDan
Dec 10, 2005

Where's my cow?

Is that my cow?

No it isn't, but it still tramples my bloody lavender.
fireworks are fine it's people using them irresponsibly that's generally the problematic part, much like guns and drugs and all the other fun things

maybe some kind of points based system where if you reliably aren't a little loving poo poo for awhile you can have some weed and fireworks, keep it up for some cocaine and a revolver

Noxville
Dec 7, 2003

I am not a child so loud noises and bright colours don't really do much for me.

My dog isn't actually bothered by fireworks (possibly because she's from a working gun dog line) but I still think fireworks should be banned, Particularly to members of the public, but honestly there are lots of professional displays anyway and these days you can do noiseless fireworks or drone displays or whatever. It's not just trauma to pets, fireworks kill wildlife too.

Lemurtron
Aug 3, 2017
Another vote for gently caress Fireworks. Fireworks nights of my youth in the sticks were gathering around a communal bonfire, various dads lighting blue touchpaper and mums handing round baked potatoes and cakes. A jolly time had by all seasoned with oohs and ahhs. The end. Since then I've been to plenty of organised events, usually the ending to a concert or event, and again had plenty of fun.

Fireworks nights (not nights, weeks, sometimes months) of today are being under siege while hellfire and brimstone scorch the skies and sometimes earth. Some pets are traumatised, plenty of wildlife too, even dying from stress. They're going off during the day, night, early hours of the morning. Outside of the night itself they're usually the loudest ones, set off individually to be as devilsome as possible. In my students days I've been attacked with them and regularly saw them being hurled at cars etc. It makes this time of year more miserable than it needs to be. Between this, poppymas and the ratcheting madness of the 3 months of Christmas itself I sometimes wish I could just hibernate until Easter.

I echo the "how the hell are they still legal" sentiment. You can get locked up for thinking about waving the wrong colour flag but bastards can stroll down to some fly by night explosives stall and wreak havoc on entire communities for weeks with impunity. Councils etc do organised events, there's no need at all to allow the public to be anywhere near them.

But it's all Tradition and Every Briton's Right etc so nothing will ever change.

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté
(Les éditions des amitiés franco-québécoises)

Hello, dear
ban sale of fireworks to any old schmo, you should have to have a licence for an event imo :mad:

mrpwase
Apr 21, 2010

I HAVE GREAT AVATAR IDEAS
For the Many, Not the Few

I got round being annoyed by constant fireworks this weekend by spending the whole time playing wargames at high volume, that way they're just appropriate background noise

Also appropriate background noise for arguing with my dad over the phone about Gaza

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018
Kinda crazy that afaik fireworks have always been sold in NI despite the constant possibility of actual bombings. Makes it way too easy for dickheads in ROI to cross the border and acquire bangers for other dickheads

Clyde Radcliffe
Oct 19, 2014

Failed Imagineer posted:

Kinda crazy that afaik fireworks have always been sold in NI despite the constant possibility of actual bombings. Makes it way too easy for dickheads in ROI to cross the border and acquire bangers for other dickheads

Crazier still is that it's illegal to launch any outdoor fireworks in NI without a license but there's absolutely zero enforcement, likely because a lot of the illegal fireworks are smuggled in by the PSNI's paramilitary friends.

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

This title contains sponsored content.

Lemurtron posted:

gently caress Fireworks

According to Ben Shapiro these don't exist.

Jakabite
Jul 31, 2010

DesperateDan posted:

fireworks are fine it's people using them irresponsibly that's generally the problematic part, much like guns and drugs and all the other fun things

maybe some kind of points based system where if you reliably aren't a little loving poo poo for awhile you can have some weed and fireworks, keep it up for some cocaine and a revolver

Now this I could get behind, mainly because it would allow me to get a revolver. If you say you don’t want a revolver to play with you’re a liar

Andoman
Nov 7, 2021

Mae hen wlad fy nhadau yn annwyl i mi
My neighbors dog is absolutely traumatised by fireworks so obviously they had a fireworks display in their garden last night - sometimes I despair.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Jakabite posted:

Now this I could get behind, mainly because it would allow me to get a revolver. If you say you don’t want a revolver to play with you’re a liar

Keep your Russian roulette fantasies to yourself, please.

I don't have a gun, need a gun or want a gun for any purpose, let alone playing with it.

keep punching joe
Jan 22, 2006

Die Satan!
Been thinking about getting an air rifle because target shooting is actually quite fun.

Edit: also

Betjeman
Jul 14, 2004

Biker, Biker, Biker GROOVE!
Undermining British values by still being operational, put a stop to that

Jakabite
Jul 31, 2010

Jedit posted:

Keep your Russian roulette fantasies to yourself, please.

I don't have a gun, need a gun or want a gun for any purpose, let alone playing with it.

Are you honestly telling me you wouldn’t like to get drunk in a field and shoot guns at glass bottles and such with your posting buddy Jakabite??

I’m a little hurt

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Lemurtron posted:

Another vote for gently caress Fireworks. Fireworks nights of my youth in the sticks were gathering around a communal bonfire, various dads lighting blue touchpaper and mums handing round baked potatoes and cakes. A jolly time had by all seasoned with oohs and ahhs. The end. Since then I've been to plenty of organised events, usually the ending to a concert or event, and again had plenty of fun.

Fireworks nights (not nights, weeks, sometimes months) of today are being under siege while hellfire and brimstone scorch the skies and sometimes earth. Some pets are traumatised, plenty of wildlife too, even dying from stress. They're going off during the day, night, early hours of the morning. Outside of the night itself they're usually the loudest ones, set off individually to be as devilsome as possible.
It's possible you just enjoyed them more when you were young, Saturday morning cartoon effect.

I can remember people complaining about "it's all the time now" back in the 80s (and often blaming various communities), and there were more interesting fireworks sold to the public back then too so you got all the Sun articles about "yobs tie 24 pounds of black powder to a hamster".

You can't even get the ones that fire in a low arc like a mortar and set off all the car alarms now.

I think there's a similar effect going on with people who claim that Sadiq Khan invented crime. It's always been like this (or sometimes worse) (or maybe better depending on your point of view, you could argue that mortar bombing cars is a net environmental and animal welfare good.)

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Jakabite posted:

Are you honestly telling me you wouldn’t like to get drunk in a field and shoot guns at glass bottles and such with your posting buddy Jakabite??

I’m a little hurt

You probably would be if you were getting drunk and shooting guns.

Sanford
Jun 30, 2007

...and rarely post!

I used to love fireworks but have become increasingly anti in my view point. Everyone should be able to buy ones that go FSSSSSSHHHHHHT and spray orange sparks, or little rockets that go whhhheeeeeeeeee pop! But it was like the battle of the loving Somme round here last night, and those massive explosions should be for organised displays only. It seems there’s some drive for them to be bigger and brighter and so much loving noisier than they used to be. Or maybe I’m just old.

Mebh
May 10, 2010

Spoilered for horrible animal cruelty.

One of my mum's friends had their cat kidnapped and someone put a firework in its bum and then tossed the still alive cat in their wheelie bin.

They found him a few days later thankfully alive and it is recovering, but quite not ok.

I don't like people.

Mebh fucked around with this message at 17:15 on Nov 6, 2023

ellspurs
Sep 12, 2007
Kappa :o
What, they aren't set off at all times of the day, all year round like 'round here?

killerwhat
May 13, 2010

Mebh posted:

Animal torture

Uhh, spoiler that maybe?!

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Only two contestants left! Here is Doom's chance for revenge...

Our cats hate the fireworks when they are outside.
But once the cats get inside, they more or less ignore the fireworks.
(Funny tangent. Lara, the larger but more easily scared cat, completely freaks the gently caress out when she is inside and the home heating oil delivery man pulls up in that truck.)

Now the dog is completely traumatised by fireworks (and also Thunderstorms.)
To such an extent we have her on one set of daily meds and additional stronger doggy valium for Fireworks season.
(She is a lot more stoned and less freaked out with drugs, but still very worried by the noise.)

I was listening to an interview with the Head of the Firefighters Department over Halloween. He was saying this time of year is the busiest of the year with the emergency services getting a call out once every 70 seconds on average.
Despite this, he's said that they only had two really serious incidents this year.
He said it was due to the rise of local authorities and community groups doing more official organised Halloween events.

Which I think is a good thing and we should have more things like this which are family friendly.
And not some nostalgic desire for the unorganised bonfires of our youth. Basically the equivalent of all those people who want New York to be made "dangerous " again.

Jakabite
Jul 31, 2010

Jedit posted:

You probably would be if you were getting drunk and shooting guns.

Nonsense, I’d just make sure I used enough of desperatedan’s cocaine to keep my sim sure and straight.

I didn’t do anything for Halloween or bonfires this year due to being in the middle of a flat move, which is sad because I was going to get an LFC trackie top, a horse mask, and a little wig and be ‘Jurgen Clop’, which I thought was pretty funny

keep punching joe
Jan 22, 2006

Die Satan!
Never liked bonfire night as a kid because this advert convinced me that being anywhere near a firework would cause severe burns.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fa1pC9aLNsQ

Then when I got older it never say right with me either because of the whole burning someone for treason angle.

Oct 4, 2005

My Dog used to stick her head out the cat flap and bark at the fireworks.

Fearless hound, that one. Unless she saw another dog.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

keep punching joe posted:

Never liked bonfire night as a kid because this advert convinced me that being anywhere near a firework would cause severe burns.
Fireworks injuries seem to have gone way down since the 80s, probably because of PSAs like these and an end to the sale of "light with a match in your teeth and aim at a 30 degree angle" fireworks.

It's hard to find UK stats going back that far, but the implication elsewhere is a move towards age limits, licensed shops, and a larger numbers of much less dangerous fireworks.

keep punching joe posted:

Then when I got older it never say right with me either because of the whole burning someone for treason angle.
Does anyone other than those villages in Kent (which also do the blackface parades) or ultraloyalists (who blame burning breakfast on the Pope) really tie it all in with the burning the effigy of the Pope and all that now though?
In Leicester at least it's been so fully subsumed by wider Diwali celebrations that people of all communities associate seasonal fireworks more with Rama defeating the demon lord Ravana, which is a better story.

If it's the story that sucks rear end, you can change the story.

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!
In the 60s we used to have Penny for the Guy. Don't know when that stopped or does it still happen in Local Pockets?

cat botherer
Jan 6, 2022

I am interested in most phases of data processing.

Guavanaut posted:

"light with a match in your teeth and aim at a 30 degree angle" fireworks.

:dogstare:

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

Guavanaut posted:

Fireworks injuries seem to have gone way down since the 80s, probably because of PSAs like these and an end to the sale of "light with a match in your teeth and aim at a 30 degree angle" fireworks.
But how many people were shoving fireworks up their arsehole in the 80s?

Lemurtron
Aug 3, 2017

Guavanaut posted:

It's possible you just enjoyed them more when you were young, Saturday morning cartoon effect.

I can remember people complaining about "it's all the time now" back in the 80s (and often blaming various communities), and there were more interesting fireworks sold to the public back then too so you got all the Sun articles about "yobs tie 24 pounds of black powder to a hamster".

You can't even get the ones that fire in a low arc like a mortar and set off all the car alarms now.

I think there's a similar effect going on with people who claim that Sadiq Khan invented crime. It's always been like this (or sometimes worse) (or maybe better depending on your point of view, you could argue that mortar bombing cars is a net environmental and animal welfare good.)

Part of the "Back in the Day" effect is the difference between communal organised family events (on one night) in the countryside when I was young, compared to the prolonged urban warzones I've been living in as an adult. Maybe if I still lived there I might be thinking people complaining about fireworks were just a bunch of grumps. Even so there is still an increase in the anti-social use of fireworks (as there is an increase in general anti-social noise and aggravation in general) outside of the expected 5th Nov/New Year in the areas I grew up in. Fireworks night as we know it has not existed forever, the rot may have set in before I was born but it's still rotten.

I would also say (subjectively) that while maybe the Fireworks Season of random bangs[1] doesn't last as long as it used to in the past here, there is a much longer zone of large scale usage, there have been afternoon->late night full fireworks going off around here since Halloween.

This discussion has been about fireworks, which doesn't touch on the simultaneous scourge of Bonfire Night. Again a huge difference between family bonfires and the spate of urban bombsite recreations I've lived next to that involve nicking anything burnable (whether it's nailed down or not) with the chaser of violence and assault on emergency services. Banning household fireworks and bonfires isn't going to stop anti-social behaviour but at least they could do it without the tacit support of society.

None of these of things are necessarily causing much bodily harm to people but it wrecks people's wellbeing (it certainly wrecks my stress levels) and is part of the background of violence and intimidation that is accepted as normal in this godforsaken country. I wonder if our lords and masters would be more active in doing anything about it if they had to live surrounded by these things, but we can say that about almost anything.

[1] It's impossible to talk about fireworks without tripping over endless double entendres with various Bangs and Lettings Off.

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

Kid's blasting everything in sight with that new-fangled musket.

Guavanaut posted:

When my older brother was in primary school (early 80s) he wrote the following piece on the dangers of being silly with fireworks:

"If I saw someone being silly with fireworks I would say stop being silly with fireworks or they could go off. You might even get hurt. I would tell that person to stop being silly with fireworks but if they did not stop then I would tell my mummy or daddy that someone was being silly with fireworks."

Needless to say this lived on the noticeboard in our kitchen for the next 20+ years and I grew up with a healthy respect for the dangers of fireworks and being silly with them. The system works.

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:
Hardly heard any fireworks at all last night.

Jakabite
Jul 31, 2010
I think you should be a bit silly with fireworks but not too silly

E.g. having a roman candle fight but not a rocket fight

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

In the 60s we used to have Penny for the Guy. Don't know when that stopped or does it still happen in Local Pockets?
I was thinking about that yesterday, I would guess because of the similarity it's been subsumed into halloween?

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Jakabite posted:

I think you should be a bit silly with fireworks but not too silly

E.g. having a roman candle fight but not a rocket fight

Please take all proposed solutions to the I/P conflict to the appropriate thread

Jippa
Feb 13, 2009

Guavanaut posted:

Fireworks injuries seem to have gone way down since the 80s

Shell suits and fire are a hell of a combination.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

somehow that last av was even worse than your posting
Our village used to have a rocket on a rope that would fly along it horizontally, turn round at the other end and shoot back again. It would do this a few times. That was pretty cool. I think the crowd was probably hit by at least one rogue rocket every year as the negligent local farmer running the display off the back of his trailer lost track of what he was doing. The week before all the villagers had been dumping whatever old poo poo on the giant bonfire that would usually produce some pretty toxic foul smelling smoke. Make Britain great again.