Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

C.M. Kruger
Oct 28, 2013
At current rates, by 2045 Mr. Beast will be a major multinational healthcare provider.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

C.M. Kruger posted:

At current rates, by 2045 Mr. Beast will be a major multinational healthcare provider.

But only for a number of people divisible by 10, and who sign filming waivers.

Roblo
Dec 10, 2007

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

Powerful Two-Hander posted:

Is Mr beast the Prime energy drink guy?

:corsair:

I think that was...KSI?

I do not know who KSI is. Now that the craze has ended I see that those drinks are now cheap. I'm still not tempted to try one.

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

Listen buddy, we all got problems!
It was KSI and one of the Logan's. Not sure which one.

That whole saga was funny to watch play out, kids getting their parents to pay out huge inflated prices for an energy drink, it's now in the bargain bin in all the shops as the hype died and the shops over ordered.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Platystemon posted:

O.K. but did you consider that perhaps everyone involved in the making of the film was exceptionally ignorant?
I just assumed the story was double garbage instead of regular garbage. I did have a great "ohhhh" moment when I heard the "Cool blue lights" story for the first time.

Splicer has a new favorite as of 10:55 on Nov 6, 2023

God Hole
Mar 2, 2016

maybe Wesley Snipes didn't want to open his eyes cuz he remembered that time during Blade II when the cast and crew all had the first couple layers of their eyeballs slough off after filming under disinfectant lights

Soul Dentist
Mar 17, 2009
Weird, I just heard a news story about UV lights exactly like that Blade II anecdote

Tree Bucket
Apr 1, 2016

R.I.P.idura leucophrys
We need some kind of central fact-finding database to handle all these crazy rumors about the Blade trilogy. We can call it Wesley Snopes!

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Spewing insults, pissing off all your neighbors, betraying your allies, backing out of treaties and accords, and generally screwing over the global environment?
ALL PART OF MY BRILLIANT STRATEGY!

Drone_Fragger posted:

Yeah the content of all the big youtubers seems so forced and generated. Give me "random person talks about his cool niche hobby and tells you what they're doing as they're doing it" any day. Anything beats the bullshit "we made the world's largest pile of sugar and what happened next will astound you (feat killer ants)" clickbait crap.

I don't know, I'd watch Mr. Beast get skeletonized by killer ants.

axolotl farmer
May 17, 2007

Now I'm going to sing the Perry Mason theme

PurpleXVI posted:

I don't know, I'd watch Mr. Beast get skeletonized by killer ants.

Chugging a gallon of $1 olive oil vs chugging a gallon of $10000 olive oil.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Tree Bucket posted:

We need some kind of central fact-finding database to handle all these crazy rumors about the Blade trilogy. We can call it Wesley Snopes!
More like tree boo-cket

DrPossum
May 15, 2004

i am not a surgeon

Dillbag posted:

LOL this is what happened to the Blade 2 crew in the Czech Republic when they shot the blood bank scene. The art department found a bunch of "cool looking blue lamps" in the basement of the old hospital they were shooting in and used them in the production design (you can seem them hanging from the ceiling in the opening of the movie). The crew started suffering burning, tearing eyes and the on-set medics couldn't figure out what was going on. They finally brought in a Czech doctor who explained to them that the lamps were Soviet-era UV disinfectant lamps that were used instead of expensive antibacterial cleaning products. You turn the lamps on, leave loving room, and an hour later the room is sanitized. They wrapped shooting for the day and everyone went back to their hotel rooms to lay down in the dark and hope they didn't go blind. There weren't any permanent injuries but a bunch of people reported the top layer of skin on their eyeballs peeling off over the next day or two.

I seem to remember them reporting the smell of ozone from them

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

Big Clive did a video about UV lamps (germicidal vs. black light) after an event that hurt people's eyes in Hong Kong 5 years ago:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CpRMud6EFtE

..and then he picked up another one a year later:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1m0TQjBRcFo

door.jar
Mar 17, 2010

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

One of his staff has photoshopped the gently caress out of those thumbnails, blurring the skin on his face to make it look smooth and whitening his teeth and eyes to an unnatural degree. They can change thumbnails on youtube videos after they've gone live and I've noticed that some youtubers have a tendency to change up their thumnails if they're not getting enough hits so I'm sure Mr Beast's production team has carefully studied which of his thumnbails get more/quicker clicks and have systematically altered them to gamify maximum audience interaction. His channel pulls in at least $50 million annually so you can be certain that absolutely nothing about the thumbnail is accidental

One youtuber I follow has really squinty eyes and he sometimes clumsily photoshops his thumbail image to widen his eyes and it also looks real weird

Apparently (and this is anecdotal from some creators who've talked about it) the YT algorithm gives a bonus to thumbnails with faces in them but isn't that great at detecting faces and so exaggerating the expressions can help ensure your videos get picked up. Of course then videos with exaggerated facial expressions get good views and so it gets further reinforced in the algorithm.

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

OC shad: As the only software developer at my startup employer, I’m the only one who knows enough about computers to set up the NAS we just bought.

It turns out that because everything is connected over WiFi there is not a single available network port anywhere, and the NAS has no local connection option.

I am having to connect it directly to a desktop machine and use bridged network mode to access it. This is so loving janky.

There is no escaping computer janitor work, ever :cry:

evobatman
Jul 30, 2006

it means nothing, but says everything!
Pillbug

TACD posted:

OC shad: As the only software developer at my startup employer, I’m the only one who knows enough about computers to set up the NAS we just bought.

It turns out that because everything is connected over WiFi there is not a single available network port anywhere, and the NAS has no local connection option.

I am having to connect it directly to a desktop machine and use bridged network mode to access it. This is so loving janky.

There is no escaping computer janitor work, ever :cry:

I work with thousands of IT people.

I'm the only one who knows anything about computers.

lobsterminator
Oct 16, 2012

evobatman posted:

I work with thousands of IT people.

You have actually died and gone to hell.

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

Netflix made Squid Game, Mr beast made his own tone deaf squid game series, now Netflix is making a knockoff mr beast squid game reality show. Get me off this terrible ride please.

Siffl
Sep 3, 2011

Unperson_47 posted:

This is not for everyone but I just have all my Youtube channels I follow in an RSS reader (Feedly) and then have JDownloader downoad them all and I never have even have to go to the site and I can watch videos in VLC.

Like I said, this might just be for crazy people like myself.

My JDownloader stopped being able to detect the video file from YouTube a while ago. Granted I haven't checked to see in a while either. Is there a 'how too' you know of that currently works?

Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

Weaving Merry Christmas magic

Powerful Two-Hander posted:

Is Mr beast the Prime energy drink guy?

:corsair:

Mr. Beast isn't worth knowing about. Don't waste the brain cells on him.

Mushika
Dec 22, 2010

Biplane posted:

Netflix made Squid Game, Mr beast made his own tone deaf squid game series, now Netflix is making a knockoff mr beast squid game reality show.

I have no idea what any part of this sentence means.

Malachite_Dragon posted:

Mr. Beast isn't worth knowing about. Don't waste the brain cells on him.

Thank you.

Karate Bastard
Jul 31, 2007

Soiled Meat
Do you hold other detrimental knowledge to compensate and if so could you please share?

Bored
Jul 26, 2007

Dude, ix-nay on the oice-vay.

haveblue posted:

I think the Pomeranian was in Blade 3, which is terrible. Blade 2 is the other good one

You are correct. My bad.

caspergers
Oct 1, 2021
My biggest problem with Mr Beast is his stupid fake smile. When people fake a smile they just show their teeth. It really isn't hard to make a convincing smile. Just pull your loving ears back. That's all you gotta do and it looks like a real smile. You just showing your teeth looks like you're in so much pain.

Tax for stupid snipe

ik edit: nope

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

(USER WAS BANNED FOR THIS POST)

Somebody has a new favorite as of 18:15 on Nov 6, 2023

dr cum patrol esq
Sep 3, 2003

A C A B

:350:

caspergers posted:

Tax for stupid snipe

Is that dude dead?

lobsterminator
Oct 16, 2012

dev null posted:

Is that dude dead?

If they are not that was at least the goal. Like you don't do that and just believe you will live.

Inceltown
Aug 6, 2019

caspergers posted:

My biggest problem with Mr Beast is his stupid fake smile. When people fake a smile they just show their teeth. It really isn't hard to make a convincing smile. Just pull your loving ears back. That's all you gotta do and it looks like a real smile. You just showing your teeth looks like you're in so much pain.

Tax for stupid snipe

ik edit: nope

Want to see some info on how he lived because that didn't look good.

lobsterminator
Oct 16, 2012

I pretty much support youtubers doing the skeeviest things and using the worst thumbnails, because the internet is not new. If you are still falling for a shocked face it's all over. Kids these days grow up with technology and can program before they can talk so that poo poo should not work anymore.

Soul Dentist
Mar 17, 2009
It wasn't even a snipe!

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

lobsterminator posted:

I pretty much support youtubers doing the skeeviest things and using the worst thumbnails, because the internet is not new. If you are still falling for a shocked face it's all over. Kids these days grow up with technology and can program before they can talk so that poo poo should not work anymore.

80 year olds today grew up with TV, yet the cheapest tricks work as well as ever.

It's pretty stupid to say "people should be immune to the concerted efforts of the billion dollar marketing industry to manipulate them"

freeedr
Feb 21, 2005

Yeah pretty much. These people are marketing systematically. They do it because it works. By the time anyone else realizes something else works better youtube marketers will have already seamlessly pivoted to those strategies and exploited them.

dumb.
Apr 11, 2014

-=💀=-

lobsterminator posted:

I think latching on to faces and emotional expression predates the internet by a little bit. We're deeply hardwired to recognize faces, the fact that dedicated parts of our silly ape brains pick that poo poo up before we're even conscious of it makes me think we're always going to fall for it to some degree.

Hardcordion
Feb 5, 2008

BARK BARK BARK
An individual is usually pretty smart but a crowd is always dumb as hell.

Karate Bastard
Jul 31, 2007

Soiled Meat

Og engagement face inventor

Mushika
Dec 22, 2010

Karate Bastard posted:

Do you hold other detrimental knowledge to compensate and if so could you please share?

Traditional Zoroastrian burials in Towers of Silence are nearly impossible today in India because of the virtual extirpation of vultures due to the feeding of cattle the drug Diclofenac, which is poisonous to the vultures who feed on and dispose of their carcasses.

Karate Bastard
Jul 31, 2007

Soiled Meat
God drat it

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

door.jar posted:

Apparently (and this is anecdotal from some creators who've talked about it) the YT algorithm gives a bonus to thumbnails with faces in them but isn't that great at detecting faces and so exaggerating the expressions can help ensure your videos get picked up. Of course then videos with exaggerated facial expressions get good views and so it gets further reinforced in the algorithm.

Yeah I'm sure it's a circular process, the popular channels feature the face of the presenter in the thumbnail because that's their big selling point, the algorithm recognises that pattern and pushes similar thumbnails in the recommended list, people watch those videos more often which in turn influences the algorithm, etc etc

The absolute glut of procedurally generated "Spiderman Joker Pregnant Elsa Buried Alive Baby Shark Finger Song" 3D animated kids videos we saw a few years ago probably worked on a similar principal, no doubt aided by bot views and other shady methods of gamifying the Youtube SEO.

Youtube algorithms are weird, my personal channel has one video which has been viewed over half a million times, one video which has been viewed exactly 11 times, one video from 2007 which had practically zero views until last year when tens of thousands of people suddenly decided to watch it, plus another very similar video from 2007 which only picked up a couple hundred views. :shrug:

carrionman
Oct 30, 2010
The only person I know who actually likes mr beats also spent $200 on a "plug in fuel saver" that's just a led that plugs into a USB port. Which tracks for my opinion of his fans.

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
A tangled skein of bad opinions, the hottest takes, and the the world's most misinformed nonsense. Do not engage with me, it's useless, and better yet, put me on ignore.

carrionman posted:

The only person I know who actually likes mr beats also spent $200 on a "plug in fuel saver" that's just a led that plugs into a USB port. Which tracks for my opinion of his fans.

I mean isn't his fans mostly made up of the like 8-15 demographic? Kind of harsh opinion to have about a bunch of kiddos.

Surely Mr. Beast is a good alternative to the Tate guy

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Unperson_47
Oct 14, 2007

Siffl posted:

My JDownloader stopped being able to detect the video file from YouTube a while ago. Granted I haven't checked to see in a while either. Is there a 'how too' you know of that currently works?

Every once in a while it breaks but it gets fixed in a new version of Jdownloader. It was a real hassle about a year ago of it breaking every few days or download speeds being super throttled but it would soon be fixed. Are you using the latest version of JDownloader?

If that's not it, you might need to go check in Settings-->Plugins and then select Youtube from the drop-down and make sure you have valid resolution/file type combinations selected in there. You might have it set to some options that don't exist on Youtube and JDownloader can't find a valid video file.

Unperson_47 has a new favorite as of 20:38 on Nov 6, 2023