Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FutureCop
Jun 7, 2011

Have you heard of Fermat's principle?
Was curious how people feel about the rewards for Star Ocean 2 R. When I loaded up my game today to play and got these free items and weapons for Claude and Rena, I immediately ignored them since I wanted to have a normal sense of progression: I know they're not OP and will be outleveled soon enough, but I'm not trying to remove all strategy from combat through sheer power as I like the sense of getting more powerful and being challenged through work. Later on I had a bit of a similar annoyance with challenges: how am I supposed to feel special getting that 600 FOL from the King for our investigation when this random challenge for executing 5 evades or whatever just gave me 10000 FOL? I know it's all small potatoes and I can easily ignore them, which I likely will, and I'm probably speaking to the wrong crowd since y'all keep talking about how to break the game's balance haha, but I always get a bit annoyed by this stuff: similar thing happened when I tried to play Dead Space 2 as well with so many free OP DLC weapons cluttering the shop.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Most people won't have done any of the challenges by the time to king gives you enough money to buy starting gear? After that I don't really care as long as I never have to grind money to upgrade gear.

FireWorksWell
Nov 27, 2014

Let's go do some hero shit!

FutureCop posted:

Was curious how people feel about the rewards for Star Ocean 2 R. When I loaded up my game today to play and got these free items and weapons for Claude and Rena, I immediately ignored them since I wanted to have a normal sense of progression: I know they're not OP and will be outleveled soon enough, but I'm not trying to remove all strategy from combat through sheer power as I like the sense of getting more powerful and being challenged through work. Later on I had a bit of a similar annoyance with challenges: how am I supposed to feel special getting that 600 FOL from the King for our investigation when this random challenge for executing 5 evades or whatever just gave me 10000 FOL? I know it's all small potatoes and I can easily ignore them, which I likely will, and I'm probably speaking to the wrong crowd since y'all keep talking about how to break the game's balance haha, but I always get a bit annoyed by this stuff: similar thing happened when I tried to play Dead Space 2 as well with so many free OP DLC weapons cluttering the shop.

Yeah the king gave me like 2400 fol and I had over a million already. Just imagining how awkward that'd be in universe

Leraika
Jun 14, 2015

Luckily, I *did* save your old avatar. Fucked around and found out indeed.
makes the scene in kurik even funnier too

Answer, though: I'm a break the game person so the rewards basically meant I didn't have to spend an hour or so batch-cooking eggs and veggies to get the cash to start stealing poo poo

YES bread
Jun 16, 2006
SO2 is a game that practically begs you to break it over your knee and the remake leans into this, the handouts really dont amount to much in the longrun I feel

Ornamented Death
Jan 25, 2006

Pew pew!

I got very early Sword of Marvels and Lotus Eaters.

They still didn't save me from those goddamn witches in the Symbology Forest and their lasers of doom.

BabyRyoga
May 21, 2001

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021
There's no point in the game where you ever have anything but way too much money. Like, if you want to pickpocket, getting the 40k fol right at the start of the game is the only hump you ever need to get over for the entirety of the game, and it isn't hard to do at all. From that point on, you essentially have infinite money because there will never be something too expensive to buy.

disposablewords
Sep 12, 2021

FutureCop posted:

When I loaded up my game today to play and got these free items and weapons for Claude and Rena, I immediately ignored them since I wanted to have a normal sense of progression:

I'm much the same way in RPGs and other games. I worry powerful bonus stuff will teach me bad habits if I rely on it in the early game, particularly when the rest of the game catches up later. And then by the time I feel comfortable with everything, the special gear usually doesn't matter anymore. Or if it's something to make money trivial, well, why bother? Money ends up so trivial in so many games, and there's probably a good reason in those where it doesn't.

Or in some games like SMT titles or Digimon Story: Cyber Sleuth, bonus stuff feels like it's missing the point completely. I didn't know chatting with the lady outside the detective's office in Cyber Sleuth would shove a bunch of DLC Digimon into my collection so I ended up putting them into storage and have no idea if or when I'll ever use them.

Mr. Trampoline
May 16, 2010

disposablewords posted:

I'm much the same way in RPGs and other games. I worry powerful bonus stuff will teach me bad habits if I rely on it in the early game, particularly when the rest of the game catches up later.

Speaking as someone who beat SO2R today and is going through the bonus dungeon, lmao

The game wants you to break it, and especially wants you to be broken by the end. If anything it's teaching you the way it wants you to play, which is take advantage of all the broken poo poo it throws at you

Jawnycat
Jul 9, 2015
Advised to come shout this here as well

Jawnycat posted:

Recently tried playing Grimrock II again and found the basegame meh again, but one of the workshop mods I tried is legit amazing, better than the basegame by a significant degree:

Final Adventure.

Extremely detailed, well designed and layered maps, rebalanced classes/races/skills, metriodvania elements, firearms are actually good now, magic system has been reworked and you actually need to find the scrolls now, as well as there being types of magic (Divine, Nature, Arcane) and a shitton of new spells. NPC's, shops, sidequests, cooking, an upgradable basecamp...

I've been having a blast with it, scrounging through every nook and cranny and bush for ingredients for cooking, and there usually is hidden poo poo everywhere so it feels really rewarding (hunger is a real problem, especially with allot of the environment altering skills, mining rappelling and digging, draining hunger to use.) And all the free-full-heal-and-revive save crystals are behind toll gates so getting that full heal and revive is an actual decision, and means that each death costs you, since you either need to use rare reviving items or pay for a single crystal use. Thus you need to rest allot now (and are punished for not resting enough with a tired debuff), since popping a schooch for a few hours is now your main renewable healing method, which ties into the hunger drain pushing you forward.

The dopamine of finding secrets is so good, since there's secrets everywhere, like at least a good dozen per map, usually more. Some are the usual spot the odd brick/weird area and comb around, others are read notes/speak to corpses and solve puzzles, a good mix. Also enjoy the system of interchangeable keys (you can use a key you find in one dungeon in another) and being able to bypass keys entirely with the right skills/equipment/traits, depending on the difficulty of the lock.

It's legit it's own dang game, amazing quality, and I've still barely scratched the surface on it despite ~30 hours into it (I've restarted a few times, restartitis is a real disease) and I just needed to shout -somewhere- about how rad it is.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

I just unlocked the IC/speciality stuff. Apparently my Claude has only one Talent (Rhythm Sense lol - clearly he was a nepotism hire in the Space Military). But this seems to maybe be good because you get 100 SP for unlocking a new Talent (which doesn't seem that hard to do - I put SP into everything that only cost a small amount, got Crafting (plus a bunch of other stuff), and after only making a few things that gave me Originality and Nimble Fingers).

ChrisBTY
Mar 29, 2012

this glorious monument

Holy poo poo is that a 54GB mod?
How would you compare it to say, the later games in the Might and Magic series?

Barudak
May 7, 2007

The worst talents are the two related to music because Ive spent close to 200 music performances on Opera and she just isn't learning poo poo. Dammit woman, learn to play a goddamn song if you want me to find you weirdly older boyfriend.

Jawnycat
Jul 9, 2015

ChrisBTY posted:

Holy poo poo is that a 54GB mod?
How would you compare it to say, the later games in the Might and Magic series?

54MB, not GB ahahaha, christ could you imagine. Mind, for a Grimrock mod that is still pretty dang big, most of them are <1MB.
As for the comparison, I've not played them so can't say.

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

Playing the SO2 remake, I have run into something weird. I did not have whatever they renamed leaf slash to when I recruited Ashton. He's about level 30 and I still don't have it. Do I have to do something to get that ability now? Because I remember he used to start with it.

Dackel
Sep 11, 2014

Barudak posted:

The worst talents are the two related to music because Ive spent close to 200 music performances on Opera and she just isn't learning poo poo. Dammit woman, learn to play a goddamn song if you want me to find you weirdly older boyfriend.

are you using orchestra beforehand? it greatly increases chances to learn talents

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Dackel posted:

are you using orchestra beforehand? it greatly increases chances to learn talents

Orchestra turns off when you play music, I assumed that meant its buff disables at that point. Is that not the case?

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

I'm guessing I should always use that ability that increases BP/SP at the cost of Fol? I don't seem to be having any problems getting Fol.

Also - should I just sell the assortment of random accessories I've been crafting that don't seem very good? And are there any item "traits" that are particularly desirable?

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Ytlaya posted:

I'm guessing I should always use that ability that increases BP/SP at the cost of Fol? I don't seem to be having any problems getting Fol.

Also - should I just sell the assortment of random accessories I've been crafting that don't seem very good? And are there any item "traits" that are particularly desirable?

The game absolutely barfs money at you from all angles, the amount you get from fights is meaningless. The second I got to the guy who buys books from you and got my first royalty check I got 330,000 FOL from him.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Is there a way to just completely prevent back attacks? I had nearly a full stack of Jack In the Boxes and got like, 3 items out of it and the rest battles and it's very annoying.

Barudak posted:

The game absolutely barfs money at you from all angles, the amount you get from fights is meaningless. The second I got to the guy who buys books from you and got my first royalty check I got 330,000 FOL from him.
How do you get royalty checks anyway? Do I have to go back to him, or what?

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
https://iwakuraproductions.wordpress.com/2023/11/05/fate-extra-ccc-the-final-countdown/

D.Fuzzbot
Sep 5, 2023
I started Star Ocean 2 on Universe and its funny how it just feels like either I one shot the enemy or they one shot me.

I have like zero interest in the story or characters so far and I just want to spend ages messing with the crafting system and combat.

DrManiac
Feb 29, 2012

God I can't loving wait for persona 6. For as much as the writing ended up letting me down, the mechanical leap from 4 to 5 was massive.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.
Persona 6 is a myth.

Catgirl Al Capone
Dec 15, 2007

theyre skipping all the way to Persona 76

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
Winter 2013

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

The ending to Star Ocean 2 is a bummer, but I guess it beats Xenogears where everyone is transformed into uncooked KFC and the perpetrator feels midly bad about it.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Zereth posted:

Is there a way to just completely prevent back attacks? I had nearly a full stack of Jack In the Boxes and got like, 3 items out of it and the rest battles and it's very annoying.

How do you get royalty checks anyway? Do I have to go back to him, or what?

Yeah you go back to him to pick up your money. He goes away for quite a while so make sure to get your dosh in before finishing up Linga

Weird Pumpkin
Oct 7, 2007

Persona 6 is a real new direction for the series, the first game that's just a fighting game to start with, then a few years later they'll make an RPG spin-off

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Barudak posted:

Yeah you go back to him to pick up your money. He goes away for quite a while so make sure to get your dosh in before finishing up Linga

I did a couple times, I guess I just didn't wait long enough? Maybe he'll have some now that I've recruited Opera (and thus have another book to sell)

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

What exactly causes you to get broken in SO2R? It seems like sometimes I get hit a lot from all sides without it happening, while others it just happens instantly in one hit.

Feels bad losing all my orbs when that happens. It's also often hard to see when guys are attacking when there's a lot going on due to the effects.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Ytlaya posted:

What exactly causes you to get broken in SO2R? It seems like sometimes I get hit a lot from all sides without it happening, while others it just happens instantly in one hit.

Feels bad losing all my orbs when that happens. It's also often hard to see when guys are attacking when there's a lot going on due to the effects.

If you mistime a dodge you get broke.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

ImpAtom posted:

If you mistime a dodge you get broke.

Ah, thanks. So I should probably not dodge when there are lots of enemies near me, since that's usually how I end up eating poo poo.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Ytlaya posted:

Ah, thanks. So I should probably not dodge when there are lots of enemies near me, since that's usually how I end up eating poo poo.

Yeah, dodging is useful when you're sure you're not going to beef it but if you're surrounded by enemies you probably just want to move and/or swap characters so that if you do eat poo poo you don't lose your orbs.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled
I find dodging to be an immensely useful 1v1 tool and actively detrimental in group scrums, yeah. Even if you've got the timing down on your current target, with multiple enemies present there's a significant chance you'll dodge directly into an attack not even aimed at you, get broken, and eat poo poo.

kumba
Nov 8, 2003

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

enjoy the ride

Lipstick Apathy
star ocean 2 is my favorite RPG ever and the remake so far has made me so happy

Overbite
Jan 24, 2004

I'm a vtuber expert
The dodge is a huge amount of risk for very little reward

Leraika
Jun 14, 2015

Luckily, I *did* save your old avatar. Fucked around and found out indeed.

kumba posted:

star ocean 2 is my favorite RPG ever and the remake so far has made me so happy

:yeah:

my one complaint is that I actually kind of prefer ashton's ps1 voice to the remake one, which sounds like someone trying to sound deep in a way that's a little offputting

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Overbite posted:

The dodge is a huge amount of risk for very little reward

It lets you nullify a whole lot of damage and tear through enemy shields like butter. It has risk but honestly once you get the timing down, especially against single enemies, it becomes a huge boon. You can even get factors which increase your dodge window which make it a lot easier.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

The dodge is good against single enemies, yeah. Dodges are the way I beat the first boss on Universe (I'll probably be forced to lower the difficulty at some point, but I'm sticking with it as long as I can - the infinite retries when you die helps a lot, and I like feeling some pressure to use the various systems a lot), since it 1-shots you on Universe and the dodges give you guaranteed "safe" damage.

BTW, what are some good combat abilities to upgrade? Those are hard to decide, since you aren't given any specifics and I don't know what skills I'll learn in the future on each character. Plus the cost is "non-trivial" (at least for now).

Also, is it a good idea to do something like remove Rena's starting heal from her spell list once she gets the second one? Not sure how her AI will use them and I *think* the second is more MP efficient? That's another thing - I have no idea how efficient each skill is, since I can't find any concrete damage numbers/multipliers.