Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

I was never enjoying it. I only eat it for the nutrients.

Issaries posted:

Metropolis part 3, when?
early May

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

Vulture Culture posted:

this would be a big step up from their last decade and a half of material, which is neither good nor interesting

something that occurred to me the other day is how Dream Theater were lambasted into the mid-2000s for their music just being pastiches of recent bands, while the problem is really that their fanbase was too young to recognize the previous decade of pastiches of stuff that came out before they got into Dream Theater

They were also wrong not to like pastiches of Muse.

Nightmare Cinema
Apr 4, 2020

no.

Paladinus posted:

They were also wrong not to like pastiches of Muse.

Octavarium DT and Maraton are better at being Muse than Muse are.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
Most of DT's best stuff was done better by Fates Warning.

Colonel J
Jan 3, 2008
bring kevin moore back imo

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002
Dream theater sucks guys, sorry to break it to you

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

what the gently caress

Guys I'm gonna need a do-over of Dreamsonic so I can see it again but with MP behind the kit

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!
I want to hear the whole AA saga live.

tote up a bags
Jun 8, 2006

die stoats die

Make portnoy play all of the astonishing as penance

Rust Martialis
May 8, 2007

At night, Bavovnyatko quietly comes to the occupiers’ bases, depots, airfields, oil refineries and other places full of flammable items and starts playing with fire there
Call me when they replace the singer

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
But was he fired via conference call or fax though? That's the question.

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

Rust Martialis posted:

Call me when they replace the singer

Based on the last tour I would be okay with Devin Townsend replacing LaBrie.

Rust Martialis
May 8, 2007

At night, Bavovnyatko quietly comes to the occupiers’ bases, depots, airfields, oil refineries and other places full of flammable items and starts playing with fire there

Kazinsal posted:

Holy gently caress I'd go again

Issaries
Sep 15, 2008

"Negotiations were going well. They were very impressed by my hat." -Issaries the Concilliator"

Kazinsal posted:

True. LaBries voice has been in pretty rough shape for years

But I prefer Devin doing his own stuff over he singing someone elses songs.

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002
Mike Portnoy should back up Geddy and Alex on a small venue tour and the rest of dream theater should sell cars.

Colonel J
Jan 3, 2008

BigFactory posted:

Mike Portnoy should back up Geddy and Alex on a small venue tour and the rest of dream theater should sell cars.

agreed, but they should only play DT songs

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!
If we're talking Canadians who could replace LaBrie, I'll add Sebastian Bach.

Rust Martialis
May 8, 2007

Paladinus posted:

If we're talking Canadians who could replace LaBrie, I'll add Sebastian Bach.

Actually saw him at a DT concert at Molson Amphitheatre years ago

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

Rust Martialis posted:

Actually saw him at a DT concert at Molson Amphitheatre years ago
The concept of a Molson Amphitheatre was the most Canadian possible thing

Rust Martialis
May 8, 2007

Vulture Culture posted:

The concept of a Molson Amphitheatre was the most Canadian possible thing

Well it replaced the Ontario Place Forum of blessed memory.

Seen some great shows there.

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

Colonel J posted:

agreed, but they should only play DT songs

Would be better than dream theater

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

i know I'm some kind of terrible prog-pop wonk, but i expect to never be interested in dream theater until they put out a single-LP record where no song is longer than six minutes

I'll even give them an hour-long CD where nothing's longer than seven minutes

every time I've tried to listen to them, i just end up going "these are some very nice bits of musicianship but holy gently caress are they DONE yet?"

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

hexwren posted:

i know I'm some kind of terrible prog-pop wonk, but i expect to never be interested in dream theater until they put out a single-LP record where no song is longer than six minutes

every time I've tried to listen to them, i just end up going "these are some very nice bits of musicianship but holy gently caress are they DONE yet?"

The dirty secret is that the singer isn’t the weak link in the band, it’s everyone else.

Issaries
Sep 15, 2008

"Negotiations were going well. They were very impressed by my hat." -Issaries the Concilliator"

hexwren posted:

Funnily enough 'The Astonishing' double-album almost makes it.
Only one track is longer than 7 minutes (7:40) out of 34 tracks.
Most of them are 3-5 minutes long.

It is also the one of the least liked Dream theater albums.

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

Issaries posted:

double-album

i am not just frowning, i am glowering

Nightmare Cinema
Apr 4, 2020

no.
I would be lying if I said I wouldn't like to hear Dream Theater pull a 90125 or Grace Under Pressure.

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

Nightmare Cinema posted:

I would be lying if I said I wouldn't like to hear Dream Theater pull a 90125 or Grace Under Pressure.

The closest we're ever going to get to that is Falling Into Infinity.

NuclearPotato
Oct 27, 2011

I was just thinking about Falling Into Infinity the other day with the MP news, and I've come to the conclusion that in terms of song arrangement, everything that was forced onto Dream Theater for that album improved it as a whole. Hollow Years and Lines in the Sand both flow better without the cut pre-choruses/verses, Burning My Soul is a better song overall for having Hell's Kitchen chopped out of it and made into its own track (and frankly the new ending for Hell's Kitchen is a highlight of the record), and while You Not Me is an unfathomably stupid song, it at least has that stupidity going for it over the original You Or Me, which is a bit of a nothingburger.

Still wouldn't have minded having some of the cut songs like The Way It Used To Be or Raise the Knife over some of the tracks that did make it onto record, though.

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

Nightmare Cinema posted:

They’re too dumb to make music like that

Nightmare Cinema
Apr 4, 2020

no.

BigFactory posted:

They’re too dumb to make music like that

I will not let Petrucci's biceps have their intelligence insulted like this

JAMOOOL
Oct 18, 2004

:qq: I LOVE TWO AND HALF MEN!! YOU 20 SOMETHINGS ARE JUST TOO CYNICAL TO UNDERSTAND IT!!:qq:
sorry to derail Dream Theater chat but I finally started in on the post-Afterglow Wobbler albums and holy hell they are amazing. like about as good as Yes in their prime. sure they get an F for originality but this poo poo rocks

SgtScruffy
Dec 27, 2003

Babies.

Paladinus posted:

I want to hear the whole AA saga live.

Funfacts, Portnoy toured briefly in “Mike Portnoys Shattered Fortress” specifically so he could play it live. I always felt like he was excited to play it all in a row live when it was finished, but their last tour after it was completed was opening for Maiden so they never got the chance

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

SgtScruffy posted:

Funfacts, Portnoy toured briefly in “Mike Portnoys Shattered Fortress” specifically so he could play it live. I always felt like he was excited to play it all in a row live when it was finished, but their last tour after it was completed was opening for Maiden so they never got the chance

Huh, I missed that somehow. They had a pretty good lineup, apparently.

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

Paladinus posted:

Huh, I missed that somehow. They had a pretty good lineup, apparently.
Hadn't heard of this either, but I can hardly imagine a better James LaBrie stand-in than Ross Jennings, the guy has the dynamics of a pipe organ

Warthur
May 2, 2004

Paladinus posted:

Portnoy's been in so many things since his departure, I don't know if he's still got that Dream Theater spark in him. It's definitely going to be an interesting album, though.

Honestly, the thing DT needs the most right now is a good injection of ideas from outside the DT bubble so if Mike's wide-ranging meanderings outside the band help him offer that then that's all to the good.

Nightmare Cinema
Apr 4, 2020

no.

Warthur posted:

Honestly, the thing DT needs the most right now is a good injection of ideas from outside the DT bubble so if Mike's wide-ranging meanderings outside the band help him offer that then that's all to the good.

Portnoy would've never allowed The Astonishing to happen.

This is unequivocally a good thing.

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

Nightmare Cinema posted:

Portnoy would've never allowed The Astonishing to happen.

This is unequivocally a good thing.

Yeah, the band 100% needs Mike's influence in songwriting if they want to go back to making records that people want to listen to. I love JP as a musician and some of his songwriting can be charming but holy god drat we've gone too long without Portnoy to tell him that sometimes his poo poo really does stink.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Porcupine Tree: Closure/Continuation Live pre-orders went live 7 minutes ago on Townsend Music. Free signed print for the first 500 orders - if you're quick you may still get one.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Jedit posted:

Porcupine Tree: Closure/Continuation Live pre-orders went live 7 minutes ago on Townsend Music. Free signed print for the first 500 orders - if you're quick you may still get one.
I'm glad they're doing a new live Blu-Ray. I loving love Arriving Somewhere. One of the coolest live concert films I've seen.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nightmare Cinema
Apr 4, 2020

no.
https://twitter.com/consequence/status/1725532260785385898

Pour one out and spin When Dream And Day Unite in honor

Nightmare Cinema fucked around with this message at 18:58 on Nov 17, 2023