Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Vote to threadban Bioshuffle
This poll is closed.
Yes (Goku) 146 85.38%
No (also Goku) 25 14.62%
Total: 171 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
:roboluv: :love: :roboluv:
Marie picking someone up by the blood in their body and hurling them against a tree like a watermelon would have been so much better.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Shyrka posted:

I am curious if the 'high frequency supe disabling noise' makes its way into the main show. Feels like it's a bit too easy a win button for Butcher to have his hands on.

Didn't they use it to distract Homelander when Butcher was trying to save Becca and Ryan?

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

I came here to chew bubblegum and quote 'They Live', and I'm... at an impasse.

PostNouveau posted:

Didn't they use it to distract Homelander when Butcher was trying to save Becca and Ryan?

Yeah, it’s a callback from S2.

I agree that the penultimate cameo was super cool and the final one was… Utterly pointless.

Shyrka
Feb 10, 2005

Small Boss likes to spin!
Honestly I completely forgot it was used in the main show, and I guess if it was only used on Homelander I must've interpreted it as a further way Homelander references Superman rather than a Supe-in-general thing, since he gets disoriented by high frequency noises fairly often too.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
Hardcore little brother syndrome going on with this show at the end. Neumann shows up and wraps up the big threat of the Woods in like 5 minutes. Homelander shows up and apparently defuses the final conflict (by picking the bad guys' side) in under a minute. The loving director guy from the main series had plot armor. Pointless Butcher cameo that probably won't amount to anything on the main show. I dunno, this was pathetic.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

PostNouveau posted:

Hardcore little brother syndrome going on with this show at the end. Neumann shows up and wraps up the big threat of the Woods in like 5 minutes. Homelander shows up and apparently defuses the final conflict (by picking the bad guys' side) in under a minute. The loving director guy from the main series had plot armor. Pointless Butcher cameo that probably won't amount to anything on the main show. I dunno, this was pathetic.

Yeah pretty much. There was a lot of snatching defeat from the jaws of victory by pulling in characters from another show to wrap up all the plot threads.

Shyrka
Feb 10, 2005

Small Boss likes to spin!
I don't understand how in one scene Sam casually puts his fist into a man's face (through a helmet probably made of the same stuff as riot shields) and extracts a handful of brain (plus what he did to those puppets) yet he gets a bunch of hits on Andre that do nothing, and yeah that director didn't get his throat ripped out either.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Just the lamest writing to get to an ending where nothing changes and no one important dies. This show was terrible.

Habibi
Dec 8, 2004

We have the capability to make San Jose's first Cup Champion.

The Sharks could be that Champion.
In general, as much as [viable] supes have inherently higj toughness levels, the way all of the main cast were able to tank Sam's shots without apparent consequence (broken limbs, e.g.) did no service to the character or story.

Not sure why people are so down on the Butcher cameo. He wasn't there just to make a camera appearance - his camera appearance presages his discovery of the plague-carrying corpse of Andy. Now, if we ge5 S4 of The Boys and no mention is made of the virus, I will agree it was very stupid and gratuitous.

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

Alchenar posted:

Yeah pretty much. There was a lot of snatching defeat from the jaws of victory by pulling in characters from another show to wrap up all the plot threads.

“Man, anyone else would’ve been killed by homelander, but you… You know, didn’t.”

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
Season 4 of the boys should start six months after a planet spanning pandemic has killed the majority of supes and kick started WWIII.

Owling Howl
Jul 17, 2019
I generally don't care that much about VFX but that helicopter going down looked janky as hell.

It was a weak and boring final with a lot of gratuitous violence just because.

The motivational speech that made the forest kids go nut also didn't make sense. "They are keeping you here because they think you are inferior but actually you are superior" No? They are keeping you there to experiment on you so they can create a way to control you because they are afraid of you because you are stronger ie superior.

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

I guess I enjoyed this show but it feels like something just to keep me remembering that The Boys exists in between seasons.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 12 days!
So am I right to assume that the prison in the end of the episode was Cate's psychic mind prison again?

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Panfilo posted:

So am I right to assume that the prison in the end of the episode was Cate's psychic mind prison again?

Again?

But also no.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
I think it's the easiest way for the show to write the characters out of their predicament from the end of the season. Unless they want to ditch the college setting entirely.

CatstropheWaitress
Nov 26, 2017

Nice wilheim scream.

Getting tired of season finales like this that just aren't. But mostly just bummed in how little fun they had with the setting and tone.

Overall I'm just disappointed in how dang cynical this season was with little to no joy to counteract it. The Boys has small victories throughout, a guy with a comically large hog, and just enough straight up goofiness that helps offset the misery. Also has the pillar romance of Starlight and Hughie to work around for conflict that's more benign drama to sit with for a breather.

Here... idk. I like a lot of the pieces but it was just altogether pretty miserable throughout. Not many little victories or joy. Nearly every problem is solved with someone getting punched through, and the heroes mostly just arrived too late or too dumbfounded to do much of anything. I'll grant that they didn't kill the heroes so that was nice, but dang. There just wasn't much of a reprieve anywhere in this.

Also occurs to me that another thing Gen V is missing is a tangible 'hope'. The Boys has, for better or worse hope in the form of Butcher, and later Mallory and that whole apparatus. Here... everyone who they reach out for help is shown to actually be evil. I could well be forgetting someone, but almost every character the heroes try to confide in ends up being shown as unquestionably evil and working against them. It's just very, very bleak.

Might fast forward through the next season, but not particularly excited for it.

Oh also shame on them for killing Clancy Brown in the first episode. He's a loving great actor, keep him around awhile.

CatstropheWaitress fucked around with this message at 03:17 on Nov 6, 2023

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

The worst part of the show is killing Clancy Brown. The man played Lex Luthor, make him Dean.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 12 days!

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

Again?

But also no.

Recall the earlier episode that had her get a seizure and trap them in some kind of Inception type dream prison that they could only leave when she allowed them too. A cell without any doors, Marie just waking up from getting lasered, Emma there even though I thought she was shrunk and across campus during the helicopter part etc

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Golden Bee posted:

The worst part of the show is killing Clancy Brown. The man played Lex Luthor, make him Dean.

They clearly cheaped out.

And then built the marketing to make it look like he was in the whole season.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Panfilo posted:

Recall the earlier episode that had her get a seizure and trap them in some kind of Inception type dream prison that they could only leave when she allowed them too. A cell without any doors, Marie just waking up from getting lasered, Emma there even though I thought she was shrunk and across campus during the helicopter part etc

I guess it's possible. I got the impression that some time had passed, which is why Emma was back to normal.
Also the range on her new mind prison would be loving massive to get Emma when she's not even nearby. Not to mention everyone else getting caught up in too. :rip: eternally young party dude. Unless you meant she trapped all of them later when they had already been apprehended by Vought or Homelander or whoever.
Also that she suddenly mastered this ability despite it being a complete accident the first time. And she was also in there with them too so I don't think she would willingly immobilize herself to trap them. Just toss them in an underground prison :v:

PostNouveau posted:

He should come back in s2 to poo poo talk Sam in his mind, along with Golden Boy.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK fucked around with this message at 04:23 on Nov 6, 2023

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
I assumed they were put into the Maeve prison.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

PostNouveau posted:

They just wanted to make some surprise deaths, it's a fair tactic. I doubt budget was an issue at all given that Brown came back a few times.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

Alchenar posted:

I was quite enjoying the series up until all that poo poo.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

PostNouveau posted:

This absolutely pissed me off.

Don't tease me with a great actor and then only have him in less than five minutes of the show.

Jimbone Tallshanks
Dec 16, 2005

You can't pull rank on murder.

Promising a lot of Clancy Brown and only getting a bit of Clancy Brown is technically known as a Brownout

BlackIronHeart
Aug 2, 2004

PROCEED

CatstropheWaitress posted:

Getting tired of season finales like this that just aren't. But mostly just bummed in how little fun they had with the setting and tone.

This is something I lay entirely at the feet of the MCU becoming a thing. A lot of media now is turning into this 'And wait till you see what's next!' trap instead of telling a full, coherent story. Everything is just setup for the next thing and it's pretty awful.

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
That alpaca is gonna be pissed when they finds out Marie trashed their hat and sunglasses.

Tarquinn
Jul 3, 2007

I know I’ve made some very poor decisions recently, but I can give you
my complete assurance that my work will be back to normal.
Hell Gem

Jimbone Tallshanks posted:

Promising a lot of Clancy Brown and only getting a bit of Clancy Brown is technically known as a Brownout

:golfclap:

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

I enjoyed the season but was disappointed by that finale. Marie's triumphant moment being using blood daggers felt so bizarrely off, like her lesson was supposed to be,"You can get past the trauma and use your powers to kill!"!?! I fully expected her to use the same trick she used on Maverick and pull Notcrawler out of the air as he finished teleporting, or to be able to somehow find the particles of blood he was disassembling and reassembling and force him back into place or something. Given that doctor in an earlier episode saying,"She has no idea how powerful she is!" the representation of that "I can do this!" moment being.... blood daggers? Okay :nallears:

With that said, a moment I loved was the swell of triumphant music as a hero flew in to save the day suddenly deflating when it's confirmed to be Homelander. Nobody's gonna have a good time now!

Jerusalem fucked around with this message at 11:49 on Nov 6, 2023

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
I thought that finale was... honestly I enjoyed it? There's a bunch that doesn't work in either of the last two episodes, and in a lot of the season generally, but I thought it solved a lot of problems I had with the season overall. The main characters are, explicitly, jerks, and we're meant to see them as people who struggle to respect the lives of the people around them, even other superheroes. Cate, in particular, is dangerously self-deluding, e.g. her insistence that her powers won't hurt her now she's stopped taking the pills.

If the show can lean into that more, and actually grapple with this idea that the characters need to negotiate their relationship with their humanity I think that'd be strong. And also if they actually leant more into the college campus aspect, with a stronger look at classes and campus culture rather than this sub-X-files poo poo with Arkham Asylum in the basement.

(What sort of bugs me is that they didn't even need there to be a secret basement, it would have worked fine if it just turned out that the adult superprison Marie's worried about being sent to does experiments on its inhabitants.)

Also the season could be pretty sloppy. The sonic anti-supe weapon appears and disappears at random. Sam goes from being obsessively dependent on Emma to abusively screaming at her in the span of about three hours. Shetty's too thin a character to support the contradiction of wanting to kill all supes and also genuinely loving Cate, no matter how hard Shelley Conn tried to sell that. And the bit where Dr Mengele turns up to drunkenly exposit the plot so the heroes can overhear it was an utterly atrocious lack of craft.

But I think the bones of a good show are here, somewhere.

Jerusalem posted:

With that said, a moment I loved was the swell of triumphant music as a hero flew in to save the day suddenly deflating when it's confirmed to be Homelander. Nobody's gonna have a good time now!

I was expecting this sequence to go far worse than it did. The entire season Marie and Jordan have been complaining about how they don't play well with the demo, and Marie's just shot projectile weapons at the helicopter (trying to save the board, sure, but the optics are ambigious unless you're familiar with the situation) and attacked a pretty young white woman. Then a cop turns up.

Chinston Wurchill
Jun 27, 2010

It's not that kind of test.

Outrail posted:

That alpaca is gonna be pissed when they finds out Marie trashed their hat and sunglasses.

I'm not sure it was ever explicitly stated, but the alpaca was a student in a relationship with Maverik, right?

BurritoJustice
Oct 9, 2012

Notable details from the final scene:

They were wearing gowns with Vought logos on them, pretty obviously but they're definitely in some sort of Vought custody

There's a hatch on the roof, almost looks like something off a submarine, so there's actually a clear way in/out of the room.

Andre has his phone in his hand, and Emma has a fresh Starbucks. So they're obviously not being explicitly punished, they have some level of amenities.

What's everyone's theories?

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

BurritoJustice posted:

Notable details from the final scene:

They were wearing gowns with Vought logos on them, pretty obviously but they're definitely in some sort of Vought custody

There's a hatch on the roof, almost looks like something off a submarine, so there's actually a clear way in/out of the room.

Andre has his phone in his hand, and Emma has a fresh Starbucks. So they're obviously not being explicitly punished, they have some level of amenities.

What's everyone's theories?

I think there's no fixed answer - its been left deliberately ambiguous so that they can write season 2 in any direction they want.

But whatever it is, it has to be something that Homelander is on board with.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

Bread Liar
One thing I didn't like was that the show was never really "supes at college".

Apart from one scene at the sports arena in the first episode, where we're told this is the number one place to hang out (and then never see it again, lol) and a few seconds of acting class, the whole season pretty much ignored college life to revolve around the Forest mystery.

Sure, they only had a limited number of episodes, but if there was ever a mystery box plot where it made sense to let it simmer underneath the surface for a season, it was the plot to try and genocide supes via an horrific virus.

I suppose I wanted a Sky High, but without the Disney.

Tarquinn
Jul 3, 2007

I know I’ve made some very poor decisions recently, but I can give you
my complete assurance that my work will be back to normal.
Hell Gem
Most of the time the characters were sky high, so....

:v:

thebardyspoon
Jun 30, 2005
One of my friends really likes the comic series and it's pretty funny seeing his hope that eventually the show will pivot more towards adapting it fully diminish more and more each season. He's not watched Gen V yet but he was convinced it was gonna be adapting the X-Men pastiche (is that the right word for what the Boys did to specific heroes/teams?) where the Prof X equivalent is a nonce and such and it was basically going to be all about that. Similarly he's spent the last 2 seasons of regular Boys expecting the Iron Man equivalent to show up. It's really odd because even in Season 1 things were so different from the comics that it was clearly never gonna be a full adaptation (and I think it is all the better for it, the comic mostly repulsed me).

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

tbh the only reason the main show is good at all is because of how much they change from the comics lol.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Yup once they chucked off the college spoof idea it came down to a mystery which essentially was resolved by a character from a different show, with the nominal protagonists ending up squashing a prison/concentration camp break out with complete lethality lol.

I guarantee that was not an ending the creators foresaw or planned for as it came literally out if nowhere necessitating the complete personality shift (haha with Sam literally being majicked into fitting into being a bad guy) of several core characters.

Like what was the moral here? I feel like it's GoT the latter years all over again with the writers scoffing at any sort of thematic throughline. But hey that's generally what ppl like and remember from shows when they're done.

Didn't help that this show was completing missing the humotlr and sometimes surprise humanity of The Boys. Def the writer B team here.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

thebardyspoon posted:

One of my friends really likes the comic series and it's pretty funny seeing his hope that eventually the show will pivot more towards adapting it fully diminish more and more each season. He's not watched Gen V yet but he was convinced it was gonna be adapting the X-Men pastiche (is that the right word for what the Boys did to specific heroes/teams?) where the Prof X equivalent is a nonce and such and it was basically going to be all about that. Similarly he's spent the last 2 seasons of regular Boys expecting the Iron Man equivalent to show up. It's really odd because even in Season 1 things were so different from the comics that it was clearly never gonna be a full adaptation (and I think it is all the better for it, the comic mostly repulsed me).

Lol that there is a "the book was better" guy out there going "But where's the super powered sexual assault? Why hasn't Homelander eaten a baby yet? "