Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bifauxnen
Aug 12, 2010

Curses! Foiled again!

No Wave posted:

To truly understand the western hyper-online freakout about the AoT manga ending you need to dive into the "Erehisu" fandom. It would be better if you didn't though.

I'm not an Erehisu shipper, but I did think the manga had some parts that looked like hints in that direction. It's good that those hints got toned down in the anime, to avoid confusion when it wouldn't go anywhere.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

17th Separate Kryvyi Rih Tank Brigade named after Konstantin Pestushko
Look to my coming on the first light of the fifth sixth some day
Most of what I encountered in the wild rather than dedicated spaces, was contrarian AoT haters signal boosting perceived lukewarm reception of the ending as ammo for cheap shots.

People are liking the anime conclusion so those same guys are dead silent.

Captain_duck
Dec 3, 2005

I swear nice bushes!

Conspiratiorist posted:

Most of what I encountered in the wild rather than dedicated spaces, was contrarian AoT haters signal boosting perceived lukewarm reception of the ending as ammo for cheap shots.

People are liking the anime conclusion so those same guys are dead silent.

Back in the day i was pissed off as well. I mean "thanks for doing a genocide eren" holy loving hell gently caress off. This does it so much better, it really fixes it.

Maera Sior
Jan 5, 2012

So were the Ackerman abilities and immunity to Founder powers ever explained in the manga? I assume Levi and Mikasa are also regular humans now.

Flesnolk
Apr 11, 2012

Beefstew posted:

Showing that Eren's plan for "lasting peace" is stupid and selfish and doomed to fail felt like an essential component missing from the original ending

To me it came off more as "the only thing Eren did wrong was not finishing the job."

SirPablo
May 1, 2004

Pillbug
In the ending credits, did the Eldians get their own 9/11? Cause lol

a seagull
Apr 11, 2007

Flesnolk posted:

To me it came off more as "the only thing Eren did wrong was not finishing the job."

I feel like the vast amount of time passing, with Paradis mostly in peace, shows that whatever conflict eventually ruined Shiganshina was probably political in nature and not racial hatred. So our guys did succeed in their goals, just on a long enough timeline human nature happens and somebody picked a hell of a fight.

a seagull
Apr 11, 2007

SirPablo posted:

I noticed that lol

Alan_Shore
Dec 2, 2004

Flesnolk posted:

No, his friends all lived long peaceful lives. That was his ultimate goal.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Alan_Shore posted:

No, his friends all lived long peaceful lives. That was his ultimate goal.

His friends (except Sasha and Hange) lived, all the Titans were gone, Paradis was preserved for countless generations, and he got to stomp on everything standing between him and freedom.

Eren got everything he ever wanted.

Poor bastard.

Alan_Shore
Dec 2, 2004

Yep! Ultimately, he did wipe out all the titans!

Goddamn can't stop thinking about this show

icecastle
Jun 9, 2008

SirPablo posted:

Yeah definitely. Immediately after it happens it shows the Paradis George Bush start a loving war and jets fly the opposite way to attack

MechaX
Nov 19, 2011

"Let's be positive! Let's start a fire!"

a seagull posted:

I feel like the vast amount of time passing, with Paradis mostly in peace, shows that whatever conflict eventually ruined Shiganshina was probably political in nature and not racial hatred. So our guys did succeed in their goals, just on a long enough timeline human nature happens and somebody picked a hell of a fight.

I'm just curious if another world war started or if Paradis became stupidly aggro and belligerent in the future. Because the city was already in ruins after the war seemingly, who the gently caress made the call to still nuke it back to the stone ages to be sure

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

I stopped watching after Season 2 because I wanted to see the whole last season in one go.
Are they done yet?

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

Jack Trades posted:

I stopped watching after Season 2 because I wanted to see the whole last season in one go.
Are they done yet?

The series ended yesterday

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

THE AWESOME GHOST posted:

The series ended yesterday

Cool. Thanks.

Anonymous Zebra
Oct 21, 2005
Blending in like it ain't no thang
Finally got the chance to watch the finale after having to wait over 24 hours. As one of the people that thought the manga ending was fine, this version was still a vast improvement over the original ending and I'm happy to see so many of you enjoyed it. I think this is a series with a lot of different metaphors and meanings, and it's been a fun ride discussing so much with you guys over the last few years.

My final interpretation that I've been sitting on since the manga ended, was that the Titans were always just a metaphor for human cruelty towards one another and conflict in general. They're always there, and we're never going to permanently get rid of them, and you're certainly not going to get rid of them by violenting harder (with Eren's unprecedented degree of violence being represented by just having the biggest titans). The last shot with the tree is not a depressing ending to me, but just a sign that this aspects of ourselves is never really gone, and will always rear its head.

kiminewt
Feb 1, 2022

Wow. I guess after all this time we were the Attack on Titan.

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Titans are people.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider
Attack on, Titan.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
Attack on Society.

Alan_Shore
Dec 2, 2004

It's funny because the English translation makes no sense. I assume the Japanese is more "The Attack Titan"?

Beefstew
Oct 30, 2010

I told you that story so I could tell you this one...

Alan_Shore posted:

It's funny because the English translation makes no sense. I assume the Japanese is more "The Attack Titan"?

I do not speak Japanese, so take this with a grain of salt.

"Shingeki no Kyojin" is sometimes translated as "Advancing of the Giants", or some-such. So "Attack of the Titans" is a valid translation. But the phrase can alternatively mean "The Attack Titan" - which likely would not be one's first interpretation, and that's why it's such an effective title drop 2/3 through the series. The focus of the series shifts somewhat, and the title that once signified the threat we were facing now points directly to Eren.

It was localized as "Attack on Titan" because that name sounds cooler, though the double entente doesn't translate. It also led some folks, myself included, to initially believe it was a sci-fi series about the moon Titan before actually watching it.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

It's ambiguous - it could also reasonably be something like 'the attack of the titans' which is probably what people assumed it was until we got the direct namedrop. Sousou no Frieren from this season had a similar twist based on its ambiguous title that didn't really translate into English.

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
That's what the sequel is about. After getting nuked, Paradis moved to the moon. They thought the name was cute.

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Only 3.6 Roentgoons per hour ... not great, not terrible.

...the meter only goes to 3.6...

Pork Pro
Amazing finale. A bleak ending, but it feels appropriate given the current news cycle. I think I agree with the author: in the world we live in, society without war seems hokey.

And at the end, while it is bleak, it is also hopeful because as the cycle continues there is always the chance, the hope, for change.

What a great series and what a great ending. This is the kind of narrative finale that shows like BSG tried and failed at attempting.

After a decade, it’s all done and wrapped up nicely. Glad the anime got to “fix” the ending, your descriptions make it plain why it was so derided.

Also, Gabi with the winning shot and even Reiner got a decent ending!

Alan_Shore
Dec 2, 2004

Got it, thanks!

While I watch videos titled HOW EREN WAS NEVER FREE and WHAT IF ERWIN HAD THE COLOSSAL TITAN, can manga readers fill the anime watchers in on cool stories? Like wild theories as they read, changes from the anime, Isayame interviews, I don't know I just want to hear it all!

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
If you want some extra Shingeki Content seek out all of the fake manga previews, particularly Attack on School Castes. It's a fascinating peek into Isayama's sense of humor unfettered by the often bleak serious tone of AoT.

Beefstew
Oct 30, 2010

One of the final illustrations he did for the series was all of the characters sitting in a spa together. He had previously said that as soon as the series was over, he was hanging up his mangaka hat and opening a spa instead.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

Toxic Fart Syndrome posted:

Amazing finale. A bleak ending, but it feels appropriate given the current news cycle. I think I agree with the author: in the world we live in, society without war seems hokey.

And at the end, while it is bleak, it is also hopeful because as the cycle continues there is always the chance, the hope, for change.
I think it's notable that the circumstances between Ymir entering the tree and that unnamed boy entering are polar opposites. The former was running for her life, the latter just kind of casually strolls inside with his dog. Despite the post-apocalypse setting, what little we see is definitely portrayed as a more idyllic, "back-to-nature" one, almost positively juxtaposed against the war-torn cyberpunk dystopia shown prior.

Maera Sior
Jan 5, 2012

Alan_Shore posted:

Got it, thanks!

While I watch videos titled HOW EREN WAS NEVER FREE and WHAT IF ERWIN HAD THE COLOSSAL TITAN, can manga readers fill the anime watchers in on cool stories? Like wild theories as they read, changes from the anime, Isayame interviews, I don't know I just want to hear it all!

Seconding this request.

(I will also be watching those videos.)

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!
What the gently caress!? Levi survives? Booooooooooooooooo. Dude deserves the throne on scout Valhalla. Especially after no-hesitation decap on Zeke! Worst ending ever. :argh:

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

Something I assumed was going to be important but which I don't think the narrative ever really supported - as long as the Paths Creature stayed alive, Eren knew exactly how things were going to go and was effectively a "slave" to predestination. By getting it destroyed he created a "future", a scenario that he couldn't predict, and therefore "freed" himself and the Eldians from the chains of predestination.

Having thought about it I honestly really like the final special. Cool action scenes, decent character interaction and a satisfying ending for the main characters. I think the main thing that would keep me from calling the ending "great" actually goes back more to previous decisions - the alliance coming together just felt way too easy. In a series where everything is always absurdly tough and Eren was unable to find any course of action he was satisfied with other than obliterating most of humanity even though he had full knowledge of how much harm his actions would cause it just seems way too neat for this group, riven as they are by grudges and acts of betrayal, to just all come together and trust each other pretty much immediately. It means I can't really say that these characters had the closure I would've wanted for them, even though their interactions and resolution in this episode were good.

With that said, I did at least like that Eren's "stop the rumbling plan" wasn't a panacea that fixed all the world's ills. The island that had been perfectly conditioned into having an insane siege mentality and to see everyone outside their walls as inhuman still supports Eren and are mad at the Alliance for stopping him. The rest of the world is still obviously fearful of this island and the resentment against Eldians continues. The only hope is that there's a group of people who can bridge the gap and do their best to try and create some sort of tenuous peace. That endpoint at least feels appropriate for the series even if the alliance's formation was in my view skipped over.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!

AlternateNu posted:

What the gently caress!? Levi survives? Booooooooooooooooo. Dude deserves the throne on scout Valhalla. Especially after no-hesitation decap on Zeke! Worst ending ever. :argh:
Am I understanding that you wanted Levi to die because it would be a happier ending for the character?

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR

AlternateNu posted:

There is no valhalla in this world. There is no good death and no glorious afterlife. Death is horrifying and to be avoided at all costs, the manga is very unflinching about that the entire time. Eren even at the end cries and admit he doesn't want to die because he's just plain scared of it. Very very VERY few characters die in this story without being stripped of all dignity and being reduced to nothing more than their fear, pain and regret.

Levi got the best ending of anyone. He honored his promise to Erwin and then he got to stop fighting. He made it out of the forest. I like his ending in the manga a little more because he's positioned with Gabi and Falco and it's like, very heartwarming to me to see the man who had to bury more comrades than anyone and the kids who never should've been in war at all in the first place together, having gotten out of the forest together. I think the anime loses that a little bit but him as Friend To The Children is still very true to his character and one of the best endings anyone gets.

Maera Sior
Jan 5, 2012

MJeff posted:

Levi got the best ending of anyone. He honored his promise to Erwin and then he got to stop fighting. He made it out of the forest. I like his ending in the manga a little more because he's positioned with Gabi and Falco and it's like, very heartwarming to me to see the man who had to bury more comrades than anyone and the kids who never should've been in war at all in the first place together, having gotten out of the forest together. I think the anime loses that a little bit but him as Friend To The Children is still very true to his character and one of the best endings anyone gets.

Yeah, I saw that and I wish they had kept it, actually. Plus Gabi and Falco planting trees when the metaphor is that children are trapped in the forest muddles the metaphor a bit.

I went and looked at the few pages with Armin and Eren. I think what was intended was Eren sharing his feelings, Armin thanking Eren for sharing his feelings and/or giving the memories back later, and then a statement that Armin won't let Eren's war crimes become meaningless (ie he will take advantage of what comes next as best he can). Instead, due to poo poo paneling and translation/layout, it looks like Armin thanks Eren for becoming a war criminal. Has anyone discussed this?

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Alan_Shore posted:

iirc before "Attack on Titan" was presented as the official translation fans originally called it March of the Giants (or at least something along that line)

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
I do appreciate how the forest metaphor relates to Eren though. He sees the same problem as Sasha's dad and comes to the conclusion that the only solution is to burn the whole loving forest down with everyone inside. :v:

Beefstew
Oct 30, 2010

Maera Sior posted:

Yeah, I saw that and I wish they had kept it, actually. Plus Gabi and Falco planting trees when the metaphor is that children are trapped in the forest muddles the metaphor a bit.

I went and looked at the few pages with Armin and Eren. I think what was intended was Eren sharing his feelings, Armin thanking Eren for sharing his feelings and/or giving the memories back later, and then a statement that Armin won't let Eren's war crimes become meaningless (ie he will take advantage of what comes next as best he can). Instead, due to poo poo paneling and translation/layout, it looks like Armin thanks Eren for becoming a war criminal. Has anyone discussed this?

This was my take from it, I just think it was poorly communicated. New version gave a clearer rendition of the same message, plus other good stuff. I don't think the intent or ideology of the scene changed - just the quality of the writing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!

Maera Sior posted:

Has anyone discussed this?
lol. yes. And its always been the only sane way to interpret the ending. You'd have to go back and read the manga threads to see what people were actually mad about.