Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Biggest disappointment of 2023?
The Dallas Cowboys (gently caress 'em)
The New York Giants
The Philadephia Eagles
The Washington Washingtons
Myself for watching NFC East Clownball
View Results

beep by grandpa
May 5, 2004

https://twitter.com/AdamSchefter/status/1721387329393135790?t=

poo poo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

blarzgh
Apr 14, 2009

SNITCHIN' RANDY
Grimey Drawer
Un loving believable that any human can watch that game and think, "oh yeah, the Quarterback could reasonably be expected to do more in that game."

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
Bare loving minimum he could keep his foot in bounds

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
Not gonna argue given this team's offensive IQ is routinely dogshit and that's gotta reflect on coaching staff since they've played smarter before, but Dak quite literally shot himself in the foot.

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?

that sucks

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

blarzgh posted:

Un loving believable that any human can watch that game and think, "oh yeah, the Quarterback could reasonably be expected to do more in that game."

I'm pretty sure most QBs could operate the last 30 seconds better than what Dak did

Asproigerosis
Mar 13, 2013

insufferable

Nissin Cup Nudist posted:

I'm pretty sure most QBs could operate the last 30 seconds better than what Dak did

Yeah I dunno how you watch your boy eat 2 sacks then fart out a pass 5 yards short of the end zone and think to yourself yes dak is inscrutable.

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

Future is bright for Sam Howell.

https://twitter.com/Commanders/status/1721254869351215292?s=20

https://twitter.com/Commanders/status/1721246080849916072?s=20

https://twitter.com/Commanders/status/1721234223560851921?s=20

https://twitter.com/AlGaldi/status/1721276129435095171?s=20

https://twitter.com/MarkBullockNFL/status/1721236626368545020?s=20

Still gonna be growing pains though:

https://twitter.com/ChadwikoTWW/status/1721247068629680419?s=20

Cartoon Man fucked around with this message at 12:34 on Nov 6, 2023

Toaster Beef
Jan 23, 2007

that's not nature's way
Howell has the tools and looks like he could be the real deal, which on game days I will despise but outside of those circumstances I'm happy for Commies fans

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

It’s all going to depend on the coach next year. I’m not sold on Bienemy, but you could do worse. The media was playing it up this week that Belichek could be in the running next year and I really don’t want him either. He’s like 71, get someone young and flashy from the college ranks. Or steal whoever the hot offensive coordinator is that’s ready for the big time.

blarzgh
Apr 14, 2009

SNITCHIN' RANDY
Grimey Drawer

Oh yes, the league average QB who can force his offensive lineman not to false start and can force his offensive lineman not to whiff blocks on Josh sweat, and their. rookie tight ends not to hold.

Imagine watching a guy drive the ball. 90 yards down the field in 27 seconds, then watching three different guys make basically game ending mistakes , and thinking, " Oh yeah this is that first guy's fault."

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Those are all QB skills and responsibilities yes

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

blarzgh posted:

He could have won the game in the two red zone opportunities he had

blarzgh
Apr 14, 2009

SNITCHIN' RANDY
Grimey Drawer

Asproigerosis posted:

Yeah I dunno how you watch your boy eat 2 sacks then fart out a pass 5 yards short of the end zone and think to yourself yes dak is inscrutable.

It's actually pretty easy when you watch the right tackle collapse and the left tackle lose contain on the edge. There's nowhere for him to scramble and no one is open, He has less than 2 seconds, No passing lanes, and no options.

I think it's probably better to spike the ball there than to try and sneak one deep, but I'm not going to fault the team for being aggressive.

I just don't think it's as big brain as you think it is to say " Oh, I noticed a mistake in this game or something that didn't go according to plan"

Every play is full of mistakes. Every player makes dozens of mistakes every game, there is something that could be done better on every single play.

If Ferguson gets deeper on his rub route like he's supposed to, that clears the defender out for skin maker and instead of the knee being 3 in outside the end zone it's inside and that's a touchdown.

If the ball that Micah strips from Jalen bounces to the left instead of to the right and back into jalen's chest, Dallas takes over there and it's a different game.

If carrots steal passes off. Hassan Reddick to the left guard rather than bump into him trying to follow his man outside of his zone, That's not a sack and probably a touchdown on 1st and 11 after the fall start.

And yes, I think if Dak tries to Reggie Bush the ball across the pylon instead of plant his foot to direct his momentum up field a little bit, maybe they do get those two points.

It was an awesome game that was close as poo poo, which means that dozens of tiny variables, plays and mistakes could have swung the game in the other direction. That's most football games, frankly.

But when your team runs for a collective 60 yd, and only one of your wide receivers managed to get open all game, and your offensive line gives up 50 yards in penalties, and 20 pressures, and five sacks, It seems pretty silly to focus on a foot that stepped out of balance on one plane

blarzgh
Apr 14, 2009

SNITCHIN' RANDY
Grimey Drawer

euphronius posted:

Those are all QB skills and responsibilities yes

You're an insane person

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Damn it, this always happens. I think I'm gonna score, and then I never score. It's not fair.

Wedge Regret
I’m glad the Cowboys lost

Toaster Beef
Jan 23, 2007

that's not nature's way

blarzgh posted:

Imagine watching a guy drive the ball. 90 yards down the field in 27 seconds, then watching three different guys make basically game ending mistakes , and thinking, " Oh yeah this is that first guy's fault."

i don't think dak should be shouldering the blame for the loss (though that two-point conversion gaffe is ... pretty bad, and changed everything about those final minutes) — and i get that this is just kind of the parlance we use, where regardless of circumstance if the ball's getting down the field we treat the QB like the general who made it happen — but dak passed for all of 24 yards (ferguson for 10, lamb for 14) to get them down to the 11. the eagles provided 51 yards of that push between the 36-yard DPI and the 15-yard RTP. then gave dallas another five-yard penalty on top of that, because why the hell not

edit: also, again, not blaming him for the overall loss, but dak had all the time in the world on that last play and decided to put the ball five yards short of the end zone

Toaster Beef fucked around with this message at 14:35 on Nov 6, 2023

Vertical Lime
Dec 11, 2004

https://x.com/profootballtalk/status/1721523293885280387?s=46

Diqnol
May 10, 2010

blarzgh posted:

You're an insane person

And dak is another in a long line of not quite good enough dallas qbs

Hahahahahahahahahahaha

shyduck
Oct 3, 2003

For the first 58 minutes we watched a great football game between 2 very good teams, but then the last 2 minutes was just weapons-grade clownball

blarzgh
Apr 14, 2009

SNITCHIN' RANDY
Grimey Drawer

Toaster Beef posted:

edit: also, again, not blaming him for the overall loss, but dak had all the time in the world on that last play and decided to put the ball five yards short of the end zone

He absolutely did not play perfectly, there were a handful of plays and could have gone better. Yes, 100%.

I haven't rewatched but I'd be stunned if The end zone had fewer than eight of the 11 defenders in it; live it looked like there was nowhere to put the ball there, and lamb had to come out of the end zone and try and get the ball on the move to make something happen.

blarzgh
Apr 14, 2009

SNITCHIN' RANDY
Grimey Drawer

shyduck posted:

For the first 58 minutes we watched a great football game between 2 very good teams, and then the last 2 minutes was just weapons-grade clownball

The truest thing spoken and the rightful final word on the matter

RoastBeef
Jul 11, 2008

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

blarzgh posted:

You're an insane person

Do that thing where Dallas is actually the better team since they have a higher point differential or some poo poo.

blarzgh
Apr 14, 2009

SNITCHIN' RANDY
Grimey Drawer

Diqnol posted:

And dak is another in a long line of not quite good enough dallas qbs

Long Line? I assume you're referring to Romo and.... Danny White?

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

blarzgh posted:

Long Line? I assume you're referring to Romo and.... Danny White?

Dandy Don

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

I’ve never cussed so hard at the refs then on this play.

https://twitter.com/JPFinlayNBCS/status/1721252779367288919?s=20

Roughing the passer, 15 yard penalty, first down.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

I can’t believe how much his teammates failed
Him

Diqnol
May 10, 2010

Cartoon Man posted:

This is incredibly stupid

Toaster Beef
Jan 23, 2007

that's not nature's way

1) this is immensely satisfying to watch (especially knowing he didn't come away from it with a heinous injury)

2) man, on some level, i feel for dak. dude clearly wants it so loving badly and he has the skills but things just haven't come together for a variety of reasons (including, on occasion, himself).

but also, gently caress the cowboys, namaste

Asproigerosis
Mar 13, 2013

insufferable
I think his 5 years of evidence shows he does not in fact have the skills.

beep by grandpa
May 5, 2004

My fav part is how the camera man thought he was making it in

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

The sack-scramble drill-delay of game sequence is a top tier Daking

Cartoon Man posted:

Reviewing :flag:s would be a disaster but good god there has to be something to check the refs

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

Vertical Lime
Dec 11, 2004

https://x.com/rapsheet/status/1721566933231747189?s=46

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

Is there any chance his contract has a clause that says it’s void if he tears his ACL while having two little grass stains on his rear end?

blarzgh
Apr 14, 2009

SNITCHIN' RANDY
Grimey Drawer

euphronius posted:

I can’t believe how much his teammates failed
Him

Everyone was covered, bad play design, plus a missed chip from the fullback, and Steele loses on the edge.

Dak rolls out, forcing the high/low on the defenders, since Dowdle is covered, all Cooks has to do is get to the corner of the end zone, and one of either Dowdle or Cooks gets open when the safety drops to pick up Dak , otherwise, Dak walks in.

What happens instead?

Yeah. Way to go, Dak, good job making your teammates run into each other.

Can't believe you made Dowdle trail his own defender to keep them in the passing lane instead of leak up into the end zone rather for an easy pitch and catch.

Black Lighter
Sep 6, 2010

Just keep looking at what we're doing, keep watering and ask yourselves first and know 'Are you watering? And are you fertilizing every day?' So when it's time to pop, it'll pop.

A powerful study in failure and a surefire Oscar contender

NattyBo
Sep 20, 2004

Football Team.

I really think we’ve found the guy. I’d rather build up the line and get him a bunch of weapons than keep looking.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌
Daniel Jones was a complete and utter failure franchise ruining sandbag.

They take Saquon early, need a QB, and sit there twiddling their thumbs while the Ravens jump up for Lamar Jackson (who was really, really good and didn't deserve to drop that low in that draft that was all the league being racist but whatever). They skipped out on one of the best pass rushers in the league in Josh Allen (LB) to reach on a guy who should have been a second round pick. He looks okay in a quick hitting offense and can somewhat run the ball, fine. 2020 he goes 11 TDs and 10 INTs while just being used as a read option battering ram. Time to cut bait like a normal franchise in rookie scaled contract era. Nope, they pass on trying to compete for the big 5 QBs of 2021 and take Davis Mills in the third. This means they know their QB potentially sucks but they don't want to do anything real about it. Great. Jones goes out in 2021 and is 10 TDs 7 INTs and his battering ram isn't that good. 2022 QB draft sucked rear end, nothing the Giants can do, so they eat it again, not even attempting any FA QBs or a trade. Worse yet, the Giants are performing well under a complete outlier season from Jones. This outlier season was caused by Saquon Barkley playing at MVP caliber levels to keep everyone off of Jones so his boot play actions would work. Combine this with safety drag routes to his side and the Giants suddenly have an offense, so they pass on all the 2023 QBs. Wouldn't you know it, the entire league figures out what the Giants are doing with Jones (the offense didn't work when Saquon was out in 2022), and he looks like utter dogshit again.

Five years of this. Five miserable years that would have trashed any other QB in the league but for some reason Daniel Jones has a bigger leash than any QB in NFL history. We gave him 35 mil guaranteed. What an utter disaster.

At least this is relevant again