Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Adrianics
Aug 15, 2006

Affirmative. Yes. Yo. Right on. My man.
The Mauler twins absolutely own, in the long run they have incredible perseverance and patience, and their backstory is actually kind of horrifying.

Re the machine: No, it didn't. From what I could tell: He hosed around with it when the Maulers we're trying to kill Invincible, and as a result all versions of him were killed apart from the original, who was turned into a mutant unable to differentiate his memories and experiences with the thousands of his alternates

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Good Citizen
Aug 12, 2008

trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump

Adrianics posted:

The Mauler twins absolutely own, in the long run they have incredible perseverance and patience, and their backstory is actually kind of horrifying.

Re the machine: No, it didn't. From what I could tell: He hosed around with it when the Maulers we're trying to kill Invincible, and as a result all versions of him were killed apart from the original, who was turned into a mutant unable to differentiate his memories and experiences with the thousands of his alternates

Still machine, it both did and didn’t work. He DID gain the knowledge he was looking for but it’s clear his distinct personality didn’t survive the ride and he’s having trouble separating other people’s actions/personalities from their counterparts in other dimension (especially invincible who is ‘evil’ in many realities.)

I think this episode really worked as a single episode but it does make me a bit disappointed on what I think it says about the pacing of this half season. It looks like it’s gonna set up a few major storylines and then the big payoff in all those is going to be in the second half that comes out in 2024. I don’t think that’s a terrible decision, but considering the long wait until this came out, having to wait even longer for the payoff is going to feel rough

Toplowtech
Aug 31, 2004

Adrianics posted:

How is Donald alive again?
They have the technology.

Shyrka
Feb 10, 2005

Small Boss likes to spin!
As soon as Donald appeared I was sure that it was a clue that everything going on with Mark signing up to work with Cecil was occurring in a different universe from 'our' one. When Debbie was sleeping on the counter and Mark talked to her I was dead certain we'd see him looking perfectly fine as the confirmation of how this was being broken down, but nope he's all bruised to poo poo and now I've got no loving clue how Donald's still around.

Angstrom's a loving idiot, he should've just opened a portal in front of Invincible to send him to a different universe as soon as he charged the Maulers.

Also yeah, should've just went to the universe where they cured cancer and grabbed a few biology textbooks to bring home. Man was not a good planner.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.

Shyrka posted:

Also yeah, should've just went to the universe where they cured cancer and grabbed a few biology textbooks to bring home. Man was not a good planner.

To be fair, it doesn't work that way. The version of Angstrom from our universe wasn't a biology major, so those textbooks would be way out of his league and he'd have no idea how to apply said knowledge, so he needed to mindmeld with a version of himself with the biology knowledge to make anything useful of it.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

IShallRiseAgain posted:

I feel like people are way over-exaggerating the multi-verse trend. its always been a fairly common thing in sci-fi, and there doesn't seem to be any more stuff with it than usual. Maybe its because mainstream ultra-popular stuff has it.

I'm still locked in on enjoying it because as I was growing up Cartoon Network was either having tons of alternate/evil worlds in their shows or having the cartoons have crossover events like Fred Flintstone or Numbuh 3 being in a Billy and Mandy movie, or that Generator Rex & Ben 10 crossover thing and now I'm just unbothered by anything. Link, Darth Vader, Lloyd Irving, Ezio Auditore, Kratos and 2B in Soulcalibur? Sure why not? Super Robot Wars, Marvel vs Capcom, M.U.G.E.N., the entire conceit of the Smash Brothers series, Sonic the Hedgehog comics, I'm sure that at least 4 Star Trek series have had either an evil world or parallel dimension episode, etc etc you get the point.

I dunno, I don't really mind them at all. They're just a type of story as far as I'm concerned, like the rare musical, dream or body swap scenario.

Shyrka
Feb 10, 2005

Small Boss likes to spin!

BioEnchanted posted:

To be fair, it doesn't work that way. The version of Angstrom from our universe wasn't a biology major, so those textbooks would be way out of his league and he'd have no idea how to apply said knowledge, so he needed to mindmeld with a version of himself with the biology knowledge to make anything useful of it.

Just give them to a doctor, or scan a pdf and upload to the internet!

Or grab a doctor from the universe where cancer was cured and get him to teach a few classes in our universe.

Man is just determined to be the all-knowing saviour all by himself himself.

metachronos
Sep 11, 2001

When I roll, baby I roll DEEP
I’m slightly irked we waited 2 years and we’re only getting 4 episodes.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

metachronos posted:

I’m slightly irked we waited 2 years and we’re only getting 4 episodes.

I don't think it's a coincidence that they probably rushed things to get these first four episodes out on the day S1 of Gen V ended.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Shyrka posted:

Just give them to a doctor, or scan a pdf and upload to the internet!

Or grab a doctor from the universe where cancer was cured and get him to teach a few classes in our universe.

Man is just determined to be the all-knowing saviour all by himself himself.

Yea lol

I really did like when the Maulers went: have you tried asking them? Just a simple form with stuff like "Does your world still have cancer? Y/N"

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"
Angstrom was by far the weakest and worst-thought-out of the major villains in the book so, it kinda tracks that he's similarly lovely here.

Here's hoping we meet Anissa and Conquest by the cut, even though I could and would very much appreciate them NOT going with the original Anissa introduction. :yikes:

goblin week
Jan 26, 2019

Absolute clown.
Thank you Xavier Renegade Angel for making the curbstomping way funnier than it was intended

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!
Angstrom should have just portal'd Invincible to another dimension and finished his work.

Granted, he would've had to deal with the discount Teen Titans afterwards, but still.

Blueberry Pancakes fucked around with this message at 15:45 on Nov 4, 2023

Collapsing Farts
Jun 29, 2018

💀
she be rappin'

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
Can we keep this thread comic chat and spoiler free, please?

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

Nah! A little chocolate will do

I did appreciate that by introducing Angstrom and AU/AD versions of him and the Mauler Twins that we also got to see versions of both that were different genders, something we didn't see in the comics (from what I remember)

Nelson Mandingo
Mar 27, 2005

I absolutely love how they used the "Invincible" word gag throughout the episode.

GigaPeon
Apr 29, 2003

Go, man, go!
Are they doing two episodes at a time or was the Atom Eve episode something I missed?

Lugubrious
Jul 2, 2004

GigaPeon posted:

Are they doing two episodes at a time or was the Atom Eve episode something I missed?

You missed it, it was a special that came out a few months ago.

GigaPeon
Apr 29, 2003

Go, man, go!

Lugubrious posted:

You missed it, it was a special that came out a few months ago.

Weird it showed up on my app as s2e2 but nobody was talking about it.

Hughlander
May 11, 2005

GigaPeon posted:

Weird it showed up on my app as s2e2 but nobody was talking about it.

In the Apple TV Amazon app it’s e1 of S202. Maybe that’s what you saw?

GigaPeon
Apr 29, 2003

Go, man, go!

Hughlander posted:

In the Apple TV Amazon app it’s e1 of S202. Maybe that’s what you saw?

Must have been, yeah. It auto played after the new Angstrom one

mistermojo
Jul 3, 2004

wow they even sprung for a Radiohead song. thats when you know the suits like the show

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

It was extremely well utilized, too.

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. We live on a placid island of ignorance in the midst of black seas of infinity, and it was not meant that we should voyage far.

Grimey Drawer
Yeah that's some real :homebrew: If it's that well funded they should be able to keep the animation and VA budget comfortable as well.

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

Do you think this is funny?

Shyrka posted:

Angstrom's a loving idiot, he should've just opened a portal in front of Invincible to send him to a different universe as soon as he charged the Maulers.

The second he opened up portals to let the other Maulers in, that was my first question: why don't you just stuff Invincible in a locker somewhere!

a seagull
Apr 11, 2007

I have to assume Olga's SOS business card is somehow nefarious, even if Olga herself is unaware of it.

Glad that a Mauler survived so they can continue to do... whatever the hell it is they're trying to do.

Forum Joe
Jun 8, 2001

Every day I'm shuffling!

Ask me about Tasmania!

BIG HEADLINE posted:

Angstrom was by far the weakest and worst-thought-out of the major villains in the book so, it kinda tracks that he's similarly lovely here.

Here's hoping we meet :yikes:

This is the spoiler free thread. Do not talk openly about things from the comic books, please.

LRADIKAL
Jun 10, 2001

Fun Shoe
The Maulers seem completely amoral. Seems like they like to do mad science mostly. What were they up to S1, again?

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. We live on a placid island of ignorance in the midst of black seas of infinity, and it was not meant that we should voyage far.

Grimey Drawer

LRADIKAL posted:

The Maulers seem completely amoral. Seems like they like to do mad science mostly. What were they up to S1, again?

IIRC they were doing mad science poo poo then got recruited/blackmailed by Robot to clone Rex so he could transfer his consciousness and be a Real BoyTM.

yook
Mar 11, 2001

YES, CLIFFORD THE BIG RED DOG IS ABSOLUTELY A KAIJU
The first episode of the first season opens with them attacking the white house, though I can't actually remember why.

Anticheese
Feb 13, 2008

$60,000,000 sexbot
:rodimus:

yook posted:

The first episode of the first season opens with them attacking the white house, though I can't actually remember why.

To make the President be afraid due to their theatrical attack, I think?

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!
It took me too long to realize the Mauler Twins were voiced by Principal Lewis from American Dad.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬

yook posted:

"Remember, it's about sending a message". They were attacking the white house to likely intimidate the president out of supporting superheros, which they hate. They just want to do their super science in peace.

Froghammer
Sep 8, 2012

Khajit has wares
if you have coin

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

It took me too long to realize the Mauler Twins were voiced by Principal Lewis from American Dad.

CaptainCrunch
Mar 19, 2006
droppin Hamiltons!

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

Principal Bluewis.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
Maybe they shouldn't come back after over 2 years and do a confusing multiple universes thing right out the gate. I barely even remember what happened last season, so I just assumed I forgot what happened, not that this was a different universe where they took over Earth.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

So done with multiverses,

Unless all of these comic properties doing this wind up in Secret War, Invincible included, I just wish they'd stop. It's a neat concept, but it's been run into the ground.

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

TRP Post of the Month October 2021

LividLiquid posted:

So done with multiverses,

Unless all of these comic properties doing this wind up in Secret War, Invincible included, I just wish they'd stop. It's a neat concept, but it's been run into the ground.

So you're saying you'd like to live in the alternate timeline where alternate timelines aren't overdone?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

pik_d posted:

So you're saying you'd like to live in the alternate timeline where alternate timelines aren't overdone?
If I'm jumping in the multiverse, I'd sooner go to the reality where Trump lost in a landslide and this killed the rise of fascism as just another valid political identity stone dead, but if that universe also isn't teeming with multiverses, yeah.