Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

"The original Terminator was a gritty fucking AMAZING piece of sci-fi. Gritty fucking rock-hard MURDER!"

Ogmius815 posted:

See I knew it shouldn’t be doing that! It must be a bug or more likely a settings problem.

I don’t know. How to I confirm that?

(Watch app on iPhone) Settings > General > Focus

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ogmius815
Aug 25, 2005
centrism is a hell of a drug

Grassy Knowles posted:

(Watch app on iPhone) Settings > General > Focus

Seems to be turned on.

Zwille
Aug 18, 2006

* For the Ghost Who Walks Funny
Probably best to chat up apple support maybe? They may be able to narrow it down some more before recommending you re-pair and set up as new :v:

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

If it's a new behavior try a reboot too.

eightysixed
Sep 23, 2004

I always tell the truth. Even when I lie.

xzzy posted:

If it's a new behavior try a reboot too.

On both.

Bizarro Kanyon
Jan 3, 2007

Something Awful, so easy even a spaceman can do it!

My wife put our daughter’s SE on a “MagSafe” block when we took a trip a few weeks ago. Since then, it has been having issues while charging. Last night, I had it on a charger for 3 hours (along with an update) and it was only at 76%. I left it on for another 2 hours and it did not charge it anymore.

I am assuming that this has something to do with optimized charging. Is there anyway to turn that off?

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Bizarro Kanyon posted:

My wife put our daughter’s SE on a “MagSafe” block when we took a trip a few weeks ago. Since then, it has been having issues while charging. Last night, I had it on a charger for 3 hours (along with an update) and it was only at 76%. I left it on for another 2 hours and it did not charge it anymore.

I am assuming that this has something to do with optimized charging. Is there anyway to turn that off?

Yes, it's in the battery health settings

Ogmius815
Aug 25, 2005

It did it again! Woke me up at 4:50 to prompt me to stand up and move around! It’s supposed to be in sleep focus until 7:30!

Sleep focus is set to allow notifications marked as time sensitive. Maybe that’s it.

Ogmius815 fucked around with this message at 14:45 on Nov 3, 2023

Red_Fred
Oct 21, 2010

Fallen Rib

Ogmius815 posted:

It did it again! Woke me up at 4:50 to prompt me to stand up and move around! It’s supposed to be in sleep focus until 7:30!

Sleep focus is set to allow notifications marked as time sensitive. Maybe that’s it.

I agree with the others, don’t think it should ever be doing this. Have you tried a reboot of both devices?

Snarky answer is to stand up more during the day though :ssh:

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

The day starts at midnight though so they’d be hosed either way lol

Reboot everything would be the only suggestion I’ve got.

Speaking of rebooting I need to reboot my ultra it’s been draining 30% while I sleep with the scren completely off and sleep focus on. That seems really high

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Re-pairing is pretty easy and doesn’t take a massive amount of time. If reboots don’t fix the issue.

dc3k
Feb 18, 2003

what.
my watch asked me to stand up and move around a bit while i was doing 120 down a highway

tim your watch is real dumb sometimes

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!
Who keeps these stand-up notifications enabled, anyway?

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

dc3k posted:

my watch asked me to stand up and move around a bit while i was doing 120 down a highway

tim your watch is real dumb sometimes

Your watch believes you are Naruto running and is worried about your back.

P0PCULTUREREFERENCE
Apr 10, 2009

Your weapons are useless against me!
Fun Shoe

Ogmius815 posted:

Just for the record, mine does this too if I use the timed sleep focus. I have manually set my focus as Sleep and then it off in the morning to have it block notifications and whatnot properly. That’s persisted across a few re-pairings and several watch models now.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

I've never had that problem, I have the sleep focus turning on when the clock hits bedtime and I get no stand alerts until I'm up the following morning.

That's how it's supposed to work, unfortunately I got zero advice on how to fix it. You can't even really go to Apple for help because they're just gonna give you the "well did you reset and repair" runaround.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

xzzy posted:

I've never had that problem, I have the sleep focus turning on when the clock hits bedtime and I get no stand alerts until I'm up the following morning.

That's how it's supposed to work, unfortunately I got zero advice on how to fix it. You can't even really go to Apple for help because they're just gonna give you the "well did you reset and repair" runaround.

Same here.

That’s really odd.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Incidentally, I plugged my phone into my car and it gave a big ol alarm bell saying I had water in my USB-C port, so I got to drive in silence.

Ogmius815
Aug 25, 2005

I’ve solved the problem, and it is a design issue. It turns out there is a setting in the “full schedule” menu in health called “use schedule for sleep focus” that was toggled off. Toggling it back on fixed the problem.

Now, I hear you ask, how is that a “design issue” and not just me being ignorant of the settings? Well,I think it was fair for me to assume that the phone would already be automatically turning on sleep focus because there was text in the control center expressly stating that would happen. Specifically, the sleep focus button in the control center had words reading “Sleep Focus will be activated automatically based on the sleep schedule set in Health.” There is even a settings button below that which, if clicked, takes you to the sleep focus menu (I.e. NOT the menu with the above setting that was preventing sleep focus from activating automatically).

So to actually get the phone to do the thing it misrepresented to me that it was already doing, I had to visit a different menu in Health three screens deep.

Great job!

Ogmius815 fucked around with this message at 16:00 on Nov 6, 2023

rufius
Feb 27, 2011

Clear alcohols are for rich women on diets.
You were holding it wrong. :gary:

Glad you figured out how to hold it right though.

eightysixed
Sep 23, 2004

idgi :confused:

Inner Light
Jan 2, 2020

Endless Mike posted:

Incidentally, I plugged my phone into my car and it gave a big ol alarm bell saying I had water in my USB-C port, so I got to drive in silence.

I’m in and out of the car a bit some days, and when it’s raining. So this happens not infrequently.

The water warning I believe can be bypassed via user prompt and the phone will connect and charge as normal. You can blow on the port and connector if you want to dry it off and limit possibility of a bad time.

eightysixed
Sep 23, 2004

I know we're in the Watch thread, but since we're switching over to phones for a second, does anyone have any idea why my phone says "Accessory Detected" 50% of the time in the past 2 weeks when I plug it in? Literally 50% - one out of every two. Real charger, real cord, same iPhone. What part is dying? :(
(Restart didn't help)

BUUNNI
Jun 23, 2023

by Pragmatica
Just got the ultra 1 at a decent price on Woot. Looking forward to having Lat+Lon coordinates everywhere I am!

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

"The original Terminator was a gritty fucking AMAZING piece of sci-fi. Gritty fucking rock-hard MURDER!"

eightysixed posted:

I know we're in the Watch thread, but since we're switching over to phones for a second, does anyone have any idea why my phone says "Accessory Detected" 50% of the time in the past 2 weeks when I plug it in? Literally 50% - one out of every two. Real charger, real cord, same iPhone. What part is dying? :(
(Restart didn't help)

check your port for lint, if none then almost certainly the cord.

eightysixed
Sep 23, 2004

Grassy Knowles posted:

check your port for lint, if none then almost certainly the cord.

Good idea. I don't visibly see any, and I have one of those Otter Boxes that have the little click-flap thing covering the port, but I'll hit it with a can of compressed air, just to be sure, then if that doesn't work, new cord time.

e: Friday Crew :hfive:

eightysixed fucked around with this message at 17:09 on Nov 6, 2023

Ogmius815
Aug 25, 2005

Has anyone else ever had issues with the Ultra 2 getting hot when charging? I got the charging paused for heat message the other day. I’m starting to think there’s some issue on my end because I have gotten the same issue on my new 15 pro. So either:

a) there’s some issue with my outlet or my (apple branded) 20w AC adapter; or

b) Apple’s titanium casings in general suck at heat exchange.

eightysixed
Sep 23, 2004

What's the cutoff/start-time for replacement regarding Battery Health?
I'm at 82% on a S7.

Evis
Feb 28, 2007
Flying Spaghetti Monster

Under 80% I think.

rufius
Feb 27, 2011

Clear alcohols are for rich women on diets.

Evis posted:

Under 80% I think.

This. Usually under 80 is when any of the tooling will recommend replace.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Ok I just saw an Apple Watch commercial and wtf is this two finger tap thing that does poo poo on the watch? 👌🏻 like that but tapping.

I’ve never seen that anywhere before.

Hdip
Aug 21, 2002

Raymond T. Racing posted:

New double tap is way better than the accessibility option

I tried the accessibility option on my s6 for like 5 minutes and went “this is meh”

Double tap was an immediate “ok yeah I like”

Top of the last page. People were talking about that gesture from the commercial. Quoting one of the posts.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Hdip posted:

Top of the last page. People were talking about that gesture from the commercial. Quoting one of the posts.

poo poo I read it as a double tap on the watch not using two fingers.

Edit is this not available on the ultra? The only gesture I have is cover to mute.

Raymond T. Racing
Jun 11, 2019

MarcusSA posted:

poo poo I read it as a double tap on the watch not using two fingers.

Edit is this not available on the ultra? The only gesture I have is cover to mute.

s9 and ultra 2 only

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Raymond T. Racing posted:

s9 and ultra 2 only

Lame AF

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer

Supposedly there’s something with the new chip that makes it able to monitor it better. (Not that I really buy that).

That said, it should be in the accessibility section of certain older watches , so I would check accessibility.

Creature
Mar 9, 2009

We've already seen a dead horse
I discovered by accident that a double pinch gesture while looking at the watch opens widget view (or whatever it’s called when those extra widgets not on the watch face show up). No idea how to get it back to the watch face though.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

MarcusSA posted:

Ok I just saw an Apple Watch commercial and wtf is this two finger tap thing that does poo poo on the watch? 👌🏻 like that but tapping.

I’ve never seen that anywhere before.

It's new to the Series 9, though there's an accessibility function you can turn on that does basically the same thing but probably not as well.

Yeast
Dec 25, 2006

$1900 Grande Latte

Duckman2008 posted:

Supposedly there’s something with the new chip that makes it able to monitor it better. (Not that I really buy that).

Having tried it on my series 9 and my wife’s series 7, it’s waaaaay worse on the 7 so I don’t think they’re lying.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!

Duckman2008 posted:

It's ML based. Seems it needs quite some more resources from the neural engine, and with what the new S9 SIP having a bigger, and maybe more efficient one, it might be because of that.