Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

really queer Christmas
Apr 22, 2014

BrownThunder posted:

Bryce Young is bad

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kirios
Jan 26, 2010

BlindSite you may not wanna watch the QB School this week.

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

Why? It only ever confirms what I've seen watching games anyway? I've already said Bryce had a poo poo game today, I'm sure it'll confirm that too.

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

all the people saying he's a bust who's full of poo poo and he doesn't have any blood or guts, just poo poo inside his body, will move onto the next kid next year. don't let them get you down

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

BrownThunder posted:

Bryce Young is bad

They could have had all their picks AND Tyson Bagent and still be like 1-7

epic bacon
Sep 19, 2022

173 yards on 39 attempts seems hard to do

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

Bryce two interceptions yesterday were BAD, and they were both in drives where the panthers were moving the ball. The offense was clicking.

First one was just a stupid back foot throw across his body.

Second one he sailed on a screen because someone had broken through, but good lord that was an awful pass.

Bryce footwork is getting worse and more bizarre. He kinda does this gradual, relaxed drop back and then bounces around waiting for something to get open. He’s playing like an uncle at thanksgiving who knows he can outrun an eight year old after “3 Mississippi.” They’re even starting to mention it on the broadcasts. It’s what leading to him constantly throwing from weird angle and sailing passes.

It’d also why I think they’ve been so terrible with anything requiring timing. I remember it early on when he missed a comeback route against Atlanta I think and the announcers were like “oh yeah had to be on the receiver” but then they saw his feet and were like ehhhhhhhhh. I have no idea why this Dream Team Coaching staff is letting him walk around like this. It’s maddening. Just a short little guy standing flat foot behind a poo poo offensive line waiting for a bunch of slow receivers to not get open after running a route from 1978 that frank “just had to have in the playbook.”

Panthers fans anguish over the young situation is multi factorial of course, and lots of things are sunk costs that they should just get over. Stroud looks amazing, even though he struggled against the panthers (for some unknown reason). So much of the panthers struggles are coaching and staff related, but there’s no quick answer there either. Reich isn’t even calling the plays anymore, but he created them and Jones can only shoot the bullets he has. Fun fact: still have not called a play action rollout all season.

Panthers fans were sold a narrative on Bryce. This involved the coaches, the owner, the owners wife, everyone. This is more than just general enthusiasm for a player or a number one pick. They did everything to promote this myth about him: they closed off most practices to the press, they hid him in the preseason and let him throw maybe ten passes, he had an “injury” when they were worried he’d get killed in Seattle. Just a full effort and this is what we have.

Bryce looked awful yesterday. He made the kind of mistakes he was specifically NOT supposed to make, both were terrible wounded ducks, and both of them were on drives where things were going well. And this was against a defense that was giving up points to EVERYONE. Through 7 games of Bryce young, all the panthers fans have to be optimistic about is a rare good throw, a bunch of “oh he should have caught that!” and a fifteen point “explosion” against the Texans. I don’t know who watches him play and gets excited for the future.

Yeah the team sucks around him but does anyone think he could be doing what Stroud is doing? CJ is throwing passes all game that Bryce hasn’t attempted all year. Panthers gave up a fortune for a player who, based on what dalton did in Seattle, is actively making the offense worse.

Dark days in Carolina. Probably their lowest point as an organization. Everyone needs to go, including the ownership. The second half panthers last year, with Wilks as head coach and Darnold at QB and /spins wheel Nolan smith are probably first place in the nfc south and probably 6-2.

Instead we have….this. No present. No future.

Team knows it too which is why they’ve been making such a big deal about retiring jerseys and old players and keeping them around.

All we have is the pre tepper past.

ozymandius1024
Mar 15, 2006

You don't yank on the Spine of God

FizFashizzle posted:

Yeah the team sucks around him but does anyone think he could be doing what Stroud is doing? CJ is throwing passes all game that Bryce hasn’t attempted all year. Panthers gave up a fortune for a player who, based on what dalton did in Seattle, is actively making the offense worse.

Dark days in Carolina. Probably their lowest point as an organization. Everyone needs to go, including the ownership. The second half panthers last year, with Wilks as head coach and Darnold at QB and /spins wheel Nolan smith are probably first place in the nfc south and probably 6-2.

I think that's the most demoralizing thing, that the team is worse after mortgaging the future for a franchise QB that is playing worse than Sam loving Darnold was in a Ben McAdoo offense.

This was a bad team last year, but this year's incarnation has just been miserable even compared to rolling out PJ Walker.

Black Sunshine
Apr 4, 2004

LEFT 4 DEAD IS A LOT LIKE FOOTBALL - I JERK OFF TO BOTH
It's gotta suck to choose the worst QB in the draft at #1 overall

ozymandius1024
Mar 15, 2006

You don't yank on the Spine of God

Black Sunshine posted:

It's gotta suck to choose the worst QB in the draft at #1 overall

I suppose at least yours was like 20 years ago?

Black Sunshine
Apr 4, 2004

LEFT 4 DEAD IS A LOT LIKE FOOTBALL - I JERK OFF TO BOTH

ozymandius1024 posted:

I suppose at least yours was like 20 years ago?

Correct, so I definitely speak from experience

I guess the difference is that the best QB from the 2007 class was *checks notes* Drew Stanton, while there are actually a lot of promising rookies from this class so far except Young

Black Sunshine fucked around with this message at 14:30 on Nov 6, 2023

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

Black Sunshine posted:

Correct, so I definitely speak from experience

I guess the difference is that the best QB from the 2007 class was *checks notes* Drew Stanton, while there are actually a lot of promising rookies from this class so far except Young

Texans taking carr let the panthers take peppers.

The debt had to be repaid.

Shinji2015
Aug 31, 2007
Keen on the hygiene and on the mission like a super technician.

FizFashizzle posted:

It’d also why I think they’ve been so terrible with anything requiring timing. I remember it early on when he missed a comeback route against Atlanta I think and the announcers were like “oh yeah had to be on the receiver” but then they saw his feet and were like ehhhhhhhhh. I have no idea why this Dream Team Coaching staff is letting him walk around like this. It’s maddening. Just a short little guy standing flat foot behind a poo poo offensive line waiting for a bunch of slow receivers to not get open after running a route from 1978 that frank “just had to have in the playbook.”

I don't have a lot to add to the Bryce Young discussion other than I think the biggest indictment against our coaching staff is that our tiny QB does not know how to loving slide. That should have been addressed the second it came up, and if Bryce gets hurt this season it'll be because he takes a bad hit on a scramble

AndrewP
Apr 21, 2010

god the standard for rookie QBs is so impossibly high these days. I will say interceptions aren't the worst thing for a rookie QB to be doing, at least he's taking chances.

the footwork does look terrible though, he just doesn't seem to be in much of an athletic stance back there

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

AndrewP posted:

god the standard for rookie QBs is so impossibly high these days. I will say interceptions aren't the worst thing for a rookie QB to be doing, at least he's taking chances.

the footwork does look terrible though, he just doesn't seem to be in much of an athletic stance back there

Interceptions are fine if he’s pushing the ball downfield or challenging defenses. At the least you can say he has the arm to do it.

Again, his two interceptions yesterday were none of those things. Just a dude is bad offense who looks like he’s seeing ghosts without any footwork. Literally every other rookie qb has shown more than young.

He does not look like he can move an offense in the nfl.

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

When asked which Pokemon he evolved into, Kamara pauses.

"Motherfucking, what's that big dragon shit? That orange motherfucker. Charizard."

AndrewP posted:

He threw two pick sixes on passes within 5 yards of the LoS, it’s not like he was gunslinging and just got burnt.

I think his size is contributing to his happy feet because any interior pressure makes it very hard from him to operate in the pocket since he can’t see over or get the ball over the defenders, so he starts farting around looking for clear passing lanes.

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

YOLOsubmarine posted:

He threw two pick sixes on passes within 5 yards of the LoS, it’s not like he was gunslinging and just got burnt.

I think his size is contributing to his happy feet because any interior pressure makes it very hard from him to operate in the pocket since he can’t see over or get the ball over the defenders, so he starts farting around looking for clear passing lanes.

It’s even on his drop back tho. No technique, no precision, just a relaxed few steps to the bounce around spot

Black Lighter
Sep 6, 2010

Just keep looking at what we're doing, keep watering and ask yourselves first and know 'Are you watering? And are you fertilizing every day?' So when it's time to pop, it'll pop.

FizFashizzle posted:

It’s even on his drop back tho. No technique, no precision, just a relaxed few steps to the bounce around spot

I wonder how much of it is him sensing that he's not gonna get a lot of time in the pocket and bracing to scramble as soon as he needs to, tho

Relentlessboredomm
Oct 15, 2006

It's Sic Semper Tyrannis. You said, "Ever faithful terrible lizard."
probably could do some designed rollouts to find out if that helps but that would require some sort of modern offense

AndrewP
Apr 21, 2010

Fire Reich and make plans to hire a Bobby Slowik as HC the moment you can.

Kirios
Jan 26, 2010

I give Fiz a ton of respect for being retrospective enough to analyze Bryce instead of drinking the 1-1 QB kool-aid.

I'd love to have Slowik for another year, but the Panthers would be idiotic to not look at him seriously for next year. Bryce is a solvable situation - Tua looked terrible in year 1 (honestly, he looked pretty similar to this) so you can point him in the right direction, but if you commit to Frank another year you're probably going to have a massive bust on your hands.

b0ng
Jan 16, 2004

Thats a nice Game 7 you have there. Would be a shame if somebody nailed it down.

AndrewP posted:

Fire Reich and make plans to hire a Bobby Slowik as HC the moment you can.

That seems like a huge jump for Slowik, seeing as this is his first year just being an offensive coordinator.

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

"Motherfucking, what's that big dragon shit? That orange motherfucker. Charizard."

I don’t think Reich gets canned after one year. At best he might be forced to bring in an outside OC.

AndrewP
Apr 21, 2010

b0ng posted:

That seems like a huge jump for Slowik, seeing as this is his first year just being an offensive coordinator.

It is a huge jump. But he's a Shanahan disciple who's helping a rookie QB become a legitimate MVP candidate.

If the Panthers want to keep Reich around a year too long, hire someone else who isn't as good because he has more experience, go for it, I'm sure their division mates would appreciate it.

Diva Cupcake
Aug 15, 2005

I know everyone wants to find the next offensive supergenius but that seems insane to me. Even Kevin O'Connell did 3 years as an OC and he was extremely green when he was hired.

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

Diva Cupcake posted:

I know everyone wants to find the next offensive supergenius but that seems insane to me. Even Kevin O'Connell did 3 years as an OC and he was extremely green when he was hired.

Mike McDaniel was OC for one year before getting the Dolphins job.

Diva Cupcake
Aug 15, 2005

YOLOsubmarine posted:

Mike McDaniel was OC for one year before getting the Dolphins job.
Exception. He's been with Shanahan for like 15 years though.

AndrewP
Apr 21, 2010

sometimes you have to take risks with young smart guys.

The Ravens offense was great in 2014 when Gary Kubiak was OC. Kubiak gets the Denver HC job and who do the Ravens hire as OC? Marc Trestman, presumably because he had experience or whatever. Huge mistake.

In retrospect they should have looked for someone else who knew that system - Kyle Shanahan had already been hired by Atlanta, Sean McVay was Washington's OC, but I think someone who could have been a great hire was Matt LaFleur who was at Notre Dame in 2014.

C. Everett Koop
Aug 18, 2008
So I guess the plan is fire Reich/whoever the GM is, take Williams 1st, trade Bryce for a 4th maybe?

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

Diva Cupcake posted:

Exception. He's been with Shanahan for like 15 years though.

Teams are desperate for coaches that can manufacture offense, Shanavay tree is getting getting picked pretty bare, and there aren’t a lot of obvious candidates coming from other places.

I agree it’s a big jump but there’s rarely a safe pick for head coach out there unless you’re content with a Ron Rivera/John Fox type of stable mediocrity.

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

C. Everett Koop posted:

So I guess the plan is fire Reich/whoever the GM is, take Williams 1st, trade Bryce for a 4th maybe?

I hope this is a joke.

The Panthers don’t have a first next year.

C. Everett Koop
Aug 18, 2008

YOLOsubmarine posted:

I hope this is a joke.

The Panthers don’t have a first next year.

lol forgot all about that

Trade Bears 25-26 1sts then for the right to have their own 24 first back

Forrest on Fire
Nov 23, 2012

C. Everett Koop posted:

Yes they should make a second consecutive trade with the Chicago Bears for the #1 pick

b0ng
Jan 16, 2004

Thats a nice Game 7 you have there. Would be a shame if somebody nailed it down.

AndrewP posted:

It is a huge jump. But he's a Shanahan disciple who's helping a rookie QB become a legitimate MVP candidate.

If the Panthers want to keep Reich around a year too long, hire someone else who isn't as good because he has more experience, go for it, I'm sure their division mates would appreciate it.

I think it would be unwise for a team not to take into consideration that they also have Jerrod Johnson as Stroud’s QB coach when thinking about possibly poaching Slowik from the Texans. The Texans run game has also gotten worse under Slowik, no matter how much he tries to force it, which would also make me pause.

Eric Bienemy seems to be doing well in Washington with a rookie QB and has a ton of experience handling offenses. Not sure why you would take Slowik over him.

Ornery and Hornery
Oct 22, 2020

Texans OL is injured, could explain the drop in running production.

Also, Stroud is loving awesome. Obviously surrounding coaches and context matter but it’s also possible that Stroud is just better than Young. Because he is. It was absolute madness that Stroud wasn’t the first qb taken. So maybe hiring the qb coach or OC from Houston helps Bryce (almost certainly because Carolina’s situation is shot), but it doesn’t guarantee that Bryce will suddenly turn into Stroud.

Ornery and Hornery fucked around with this message at 16:03 on Nov 7, 2023

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

I have a number of thoughts that I will write up at length tonight. I don't quite agree with Fiz evaluation of Bryce overall. I do agree with his assessment from yesterday cause Bryce was bad on a couple of costly ones.

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

I don’t think Bryce is doomed, I think he was a really good player in college and could turn into a good pro, though I think his size is going to be limiting.

That said, Stroud looks head and shoulders better right now and it’s not just down to better coaching and talent. He’s still showing the excellent touch and placement he did in college and his supposed weaknesses, processing and creating out of structure, don’t seem to be problems. So right now it seems like Bryce doesn’t have an edge in the mental aspect and Stroud has better physical tools.

Both guys will have plenty of time to prove themselves and things could look different in a year but right now it’s very hard to make the argument that Stroud shouldn’t go first in a redraft.

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

re-reading some of the thread from 1 month ago. i was right about bryce 1 m,onth ago. i was right about kenny pickett 1 month ago. trevor, not 100% sure i should have been that high on him. but i am still against the wave of calling him an average player or somehow even worse than that. we're going to call it 3 for 3 and i'll talk about some different young QBs next year. this really meant a lot to me everybody. you made it happen and you're a part of it

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

Ornery and Hornery posted:

Texans OL is injured, could explain the drop in running production.

Also, Stroud is loving awesome. Obviously surrounding coaches and context matter but it’s also possible that Stroud is just better than Young. Because he is. It was absolute madness that Young wasn’t the first qb taken. So maybe hiring the qb coach or OC from Houston helps Bryce (almost certainly because Carolina’s situation is shot), but it doesn’t guarantee that Bryce will suddenly turn into Stroud.

like I said, I haven’t seen Bryce complete any of the passes that stroud is routinely making in Houston. I’ve only seen maybe three deep ball that were even catchable. Like not “oh their timing was off” but him throwing the ball out of bounds.

Bryce couldn’t run the Texans offense, based on what he’s shown.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌
Stroud and Bryce are different QBs. Bryce was drafted for and will hopefully be used in a short yardage WCO that requires precision and anticipation. He's good at that in the NFL. His team is hot garbage fire and doesn't have the personnel to make him excel. Stroud is doing great but his team is also way better than people were giving them credit for in preseason. Nico Collins and Donovan People-Jones are both good pros that were held back in college by Shea Patterson so no one rates them on either of their teams. Tank Dell is playing great. They have a top 10 offensive line right now somehow despite half of them being injured. Way better coaching too. Stands to reason one of them is going to be playing better than the other. Hell Bryce wasn't even getting this much poo poo until week 8 which is pretty good for a rookie QB.