Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.
Oh, right, I had honestly forgotten that Morrowind has a few :yikes:things in it. But for good reason - I installed a mod that strips out all of the unpleasant or otherwise seedy poo poo that doesn't need to be there.

The problem then was, the mod was a little too subtle about its alterations to a particular quest, so I grit my teeth and did things the normal way without realizing the mod had my back. And I only remembered that it did hours after the fact.

Basically, in order to be named the prophesied hero by one of the Ashlander tribal leaders, you need to bring him a sexy Telvanni lady with child-rearing hips. But obviously no self-respecting Telvanni would ever want to go live in a yurt with a dirty tribesman, so the much more sensible solution is to go buy a slave and dress her up like a high-class lady to trick the tribesman. It's written in a way where it all works out in the end and there's no hard feelings, nor is it the worst thing in the game that the mod addresses, but still, yeesh. (The mod makes it so that you actually can ask around and find someone who's properly interested, but I failed to pick up on that.)

The Ashlanders in general really ride a razor's edge of being an interesting and distinct cultural force and being a grab-bag of native stereotypes.

(Also you better believe the comments section for the mod is full of people Big Mad about its existence.)

John Murdoch has a new favorite as of 20:00 on Nov 4, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
I hate the sidequest that makes you cleanse 2 wells in a time limit in Ghostwire Tokyo. There are so many enemies surrounding them that it's a huge pain in the rear end. I'll probably wait to do that until I'm stronger and have more ammo.

bawk
Mar 31, 2013

The Talos Principle II: hmmm, yes. these new puzzles are interesting. very cool. but have you considered... giving me more tetronimo puzzles? no, no not the bridges. those are good. but, consider... more tetronimoes.

Phigs
Jan 23, 2019

bawk posted:

The Talos Principle II: hmmm, yes. these new puzzles are interesting. very cool. but have you considered... giving me more tetronimo puzzles? no, no not the bridges. those are good. but, consider... more tetronimoes.

You are a bad person and should be locked up to prevent the harm you would otherwise inflict on society.

Waste of Breath
Dec 30, 2021

I only know🧠 one1️⃣ thing🪨: I😡 want😤 to 🔪kill☠️… 😈Chaos😱… I need🥵 to. [TIME⏰ TO DIE☠️]
:same:

bawk posted:

I assume you fully explored the museum and still want more? Me too honestly....

Another talos principle 2 thing--I am playing with controller and when I'm choosing dialog sometimes the game will just...not pick the option I had highlighted? Kudos on the devs for giving you the option to tell people just to gently caress off instead of exploring a philosophical topic I guess, but I was honestly curious to hear that conversation! I promise I didn't select the 'immediately end conversation' option!

If anyone else has had this problem and knows a fix I'd love to hear it :shobon:

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
A tangled skein of bad opinions, the hottest takes, and the the world's most misinformed nonsense. Do not engage with me, it's useless, and better yet, put me on ignore.
Phasmophobia: This is a fun enough game, but the experience gain is a crawl. People tell me the game gets fun once you have the right equipment, and that I should join a server where they do gimmicky poo poo to exploit huge amounts of experience.

Why not just reduce the grind? Or give me "the right equipment" to start? I'm actually enjoying playing the game with my neighbor, we only play together so we're like 20 hours in and only level 13 -- we just got access to lighters! It seems kinda clear this game is really meant to be played with a full team, and with people who know things. We've avoided looking most things up other than what is provided by the game, and I'll tell you, it isn't enough.

bawk
Mar 31, 2013

Phigs posted:

You are a bad person and should be locked up to prevent the harm you would otherwise inflict on society.

ELOHIM tried that but all the locks are tetronimo puzzles so it'd be like putting the Lockpicking Lawyer in a prison but all the doors are fitted with Masterlocks

Waste of Breath posted:

I assume you fully explored the museum and still want more? Me too honestly....

Another talos principle 2 thing--I am playing with controller and when I'm choosing dialog sometimes the game will just...not pick the option I had highlighted? Kudos on the devs for giving you the option to tell people just to gently caress off instead of exploring a philosophical topic I guess, but I was honestly curious to hear that conversation! I promise I didn't select the 'immediately end conversation' option!

If anyone else has had this problem and knows a fix I'd love to hear it :shobon:

Yeah, I got to the room in the Museum and basically just zoned for about 5 minutes, when I came to I had all the puzzles solved and there haven't been any more :(

Sorry to hear about the controller problems, the game doesn't really feel good with controller so I'm not surprised that stuff like that has fallen through the cracks. I played it for about 15 minutes trying to get used to it, and even with third person mode on + sensitivity dialed in, it never felt quite right.

Another little thing right now is there's an achievement for taking more than 20 minutes to solve a puzzle, and I was very happy at getting this far without getting the achievement. I'm in Area 7 right now, and there's a puzzle that's got me stumped, which sure, I'll accept that. But any other puzzle you can at least walk away from if you're getting frustrated, and this one has me locked in--I had no way to even try avoiding the achievement by taking a break, because the only path out is by solving the puzzle. For a game that's had a pretty stellar record about letting you gently caress off and come back to a puzzle later, it feels scummy to get stuck with that achievement because I have to "Restart from Checkpoint" on a puzzle instead of hitting the bricks

e: i'm frankly embarrassed it took me this long to figure out a puzzle where the answer is not "teleport quickly" but instead "just set down an object on this switch" :downs:

bawk has a new favorite as of 04:50 on Nov 6, 2023

Professor Wayne
Aug 27, 2008

So, Harvey, what became of the giant penny?

They actually let him keep it.

credburn posted:

Phasmophobia: This is a fun enough game, but the experience gain is a crawl. People tell me the game gets fun once you have the right equipment, and that I should join a server where they do gimmicky poo poo to exploit huge amounts of experience.

Why not just reduce the grind? Or give me "the right equipment" to start? I'm actually enjoying playing the game with my neighbor, we only play together so we're like 20 hours in and only level 13 -- we just got access to lighters! It seems kinda clear this game is really meant to be played with a full team, and with people who know things. We've avoided looking most things up other than what is provided by the game, and I'll tell you, it isn't enough.
Until recently, there were no tiers of equipment, and you had access to everything you could afford right off the bat. I can't imagine doing the grind to unlock all the best equipment and then prestiging back to nothing so you can have a number next to your name. I blame the developers listening to streamers and other people who don't play casually. The game's about to come out on consoles, and I want to play with some friends who don't play pc games. But I feel like I'll have to be present and sharing equipment at every single one of their games so they don't hate it.

Waste of Breath
Dec 30, 2021

I only know🧠 one1️⃣ thing🪨: I😡 want😤 to 🔪kill☠️… 😈Chaos😱… I need🥵 to. [TIME⏰ TO DIE☠️]

bawk posted:

Another little thing right now is there's an achievement for taking more than 20 minutes to solve a puzzle

I hadn't noticed this until you mentioned! But I feel fairly confident given the themes of the game to say that the devs/other robots would believe that this is a good thing. They even put a pose in the game for when you finally crack a puzzle after beating your head against your preconceptions for too long

Also you can restart/reset puzzles by holding down x on keyboard, I had to look this one up when I softlocked a puzzle earlier. Unless this is a New Mechanic I haven't seen yet that truly does lock you in!

bawk
Mar 31, 2013

Nah, there's always the option to Restart from Checkpoint, and there's probably a keybind for it, I just haven't had to use it yet :v:

I've been playing in first person the whole time and I haven't seen any poses, is that just a third person thing or is there actual emotes and stuff?

Waste of Breath
Dec 30, 2021

Just photo mode, they put a surprising amount of work into the poses and facial expressions available.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!
I've generally managed to get through the Underdark stretch of Baldur's Gate 3 with relatively little complaints; maybe it's because the area is just better designed, because I've hit a level that gives the party a pretty solid toolset for building and executing a gameplan, or because its questlines generally don't break in the way previous ones have. But I dunno, this stretch has overall been really nice. ...and then a friend of mine incidentally described to me why Lae'zel's questline hit a dead end for me, and okay, my issues with the game have crystallized into another complaint:

This game really wants you to pick the absolute dumbest dialog options available sometimes. Apparently, the way to progress Lae'zel's quest is to do the thing that the entire game up until that point has been telling you not to do. So naturally, that questline didn't make any progress for me, because why would I do that? The only two things we know about Shadowheart's artifact is 'somehow protecting us from Plot Bullshit', and 'the githyanki are on a murderpath to get it back'; why the gently caress is the way to progress this quest to show it to them?

Realizing this does at least explain the various offers of untrustworthy eye surgery, though: I think the primary intended audience for this game might be the sort of person who sees the worst option in a dialog tree and thinks 'I've gotta see where this goes'. And I am not that person.

Snake Maze
Jul 13, 2016

3.85 Billion years ago
  • Having seen the explosion on the moon, the Devil comes to Venus

Cleretic posted:

why the gently caress is the way to progress this quest to show it to them?

Not sure whether your friend is wrong or you just misunderstood them but this isn't true. You need to visit the githyanki creche that Lae'zel has been talking about since the very first time you met her, but you never need to pick any of the "reveal the artifact like a dumbass" options. You can just stick to talking about how you need purification.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters
Yeah the reason you're told to go there is because it'll help with your tadpole situation.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Snake Maze posted:

Not sure whether your friend is wrong or you just misunderstood them but this isn't true. You need to visit the githyanki creche that Lae'zel has been talking about since the very first time you met her, but you never need to pick any of the "reveal the artifact like a dumbass" options. You can just stick to talking about how you need purification.

At least in my game, after purification Lae'zel wanted to go talk to the local commander about how the zaith'isk was tainted. when i got there, the only dialogue options lead to it being revealed i had the artifact, then a fight, then a follow up fight with the inquisitor before vlaakith said hi

Snake Maze
Jul 13, 2016

3.85 Billion years ago
  • Having seen the explosion on the moon, the Devil comes to Venus

Arivia posted:

At least in my game, after purification Lae'zel wanted to go talk to the local commander about how the zaith'isk was tainted. when i got there, the only dialogue options lead to it being revealed i had the artifact, then a fight, then a follow up fight with the inquisitor before vlaakith said hi

In my run when talking to the commander Lae'zel could accuse the doctor of being a traitor, and we got to pass through peacefully to talk with the inquisitor about it. Vlaakith still shows up but you don't need to go "Hey is this that artifact you're looking for??"

Dialogue in Act 1 can be inconsistent about what your character knows about the tadpole, presumably because of the open structure that lets you beeline anywhere, so I think there definitely are a couple rough spots where you might not have any dialogue options that really fit what you want your character to say, but the creche at least wasn't too egregious on my run as long as you're willing to let Lae'zel take the lead.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

You can bullshit your entire way through the creche but there might not be as many options depending on your prior decisions or how much Lae'zel likes you.

moosecow333
Mar 15, 2007

Super-Duper Supermen!
In my run through I must have messed stuff up because the only way I could get past the commander was either attacking her out of the blue or by showing the artifact.

So I totally get OP’s complaint because I also thought the only way forward was by doing the stupidest thing, but since the game didn’t let me know I had squandered those choices I assumed they didn’t even exist.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

I had a bug about the artifact when I met Jaheira. In my first playthrough, I revealed the artifact. In my second, I didn't, and later dialogue still played that acted like I did.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

marshmallow creep posted:

I had a bug about the artifact when I met Jaheira. In my first playthrough, I revealed the artifact. In my second, I didn't, and later dialogue still played that acted like I did.

Some dialogue is bugged with her. Like, I spoke to her after the big fight in that place and had the ability to accuse the guy responsible, which she would respond with surprise and suggest we go up to confront him about it. Despite him and his minions being dead already.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!

Arivia posted:

Yeah, this is how mine went, except I just went 'gently caress it' and left because even just fighting the captain and her wolves was too much and reinforcements were coming.

I thought it was stunningly awful that all the dialog options unlocked after trying to use the zaithisk were worse than the others, because they all just led into a fight that I was in no position for. At least the non-zaithisk-related options had the option of 'pretend you're a mercenary about to go look for the artifact' that let me leave peacefully.

The creche is really badly written and possibly buggier than people are aware, it seems.

bawk
Mar 31, 2013

Cleretic posted:

I've generally managed to get through the Underdark stretch of Baldur's Gate 3 with relatively little complaints; maybe it's because the area is just better designed, because I've hit a level that gives the party a pretty solid toolset for building and executing a gameplan, or because its questlines generally don't break in the way previous ones have.

This is around the same time that I hit level 5, where the game really has a difficulty threshold of before level 5 and after level 5. Just getting access to 2 actions in 1 turn was huge.

Trying to fight level 5 stuff while also multiclassing as level 2/level 3 in a couple classes is inadvisable, they loving wrecked me :v:

The game feels like it gets easier from here on out but part of that for me is the toolbox just keeps getting bigger and more interesting. Magic Missile will always be good though

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Cleretic posted:

Yeah, this is how mine went, except I just went 'gently caress it' and left because even just fighting the captain and her wolves was too much and reinforcements were coming.

I thought it was stunningly awful that all the dialog options unlocked after trying to use the zaithisk were worse than the others, because they all just led into a fight that I was in no position for. At least the non-zaithisk-related options had the option of 'pretend you're a mercenary about to go look for the artifact' that let me leave peacefully.

The creche is really badly written and possibly buggier than people are aware, it seems.

At least for me it was real obvious the doctor was gonna fight me in the infirmary outside the zaith’isk room so I just had a nice long rest and came back for the actual fight. Reverse murders in the rue morgue, we’re all nice and healthy now

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money
I killed everyone in the creche because the githyanki are terrible people.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

Nuebot posted:

I killed everyone in the creche because the githyanki are terrible people.

Same. I mean, mostly because they attacked me and my friends, but also because gently caress em that's why.

moosecow333
Mar 15, 2007

Super-Duper Supermen!
I love how, when asked about slaughtering the crèche, Lae'zel will just go ‘If they didn’t wanna die they should have fought better’ :madmax:

Schubalts
Nov 26, 2007

People say bigger is better.

But for the first time in my life, I think I've gone too far.
That's how her creche rolled. If you draw a sword on someone outside of training, you better be better than the other gith.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Rising Githyanki Infant Mortality Rate Linked To Sloppy Form In Baby-Fighting Rings

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

Schubalts posted:

That's how her creche rolled. If you draw a sword on someone outside of training, you better be better than the other gith.

Also inside of training, apparently.

Leave
Feb 7, 2012

Taking the term "Koopaling" to a whole new level since 2016.
Really, if a githyanki is around and they have a sword, just be ready to throw down.

Zero_Grade
Mar 18, 2004

Darktider 🖤🌊

~Neck Angels~

Don't start nothing, won't be nothing.

Taeke
Feb 2, 2010

Talos Principle 2, aside from having to walk and backtrack pretty long distances:

I made it to the last main area, West 3, and I got all the previous areas' main and bonus puzzles and stars (and labs obviously). I'm not ashamed to admit that for some of the stars I looked up clues online because even when I figured out the puzzle, the choice was sometimes either spending an hour scouring all the back walls of poo poo to find the missing element or just look up where it was and I value my time. Funnily enough one of the later ones I inadvertently cheesed. Puzzle spoiler: West 2 Pandora, where you have to get the activator to the Pandora statue. I got an activator out of the nearby puzzle by using the environment before noticing there was a wall you can put a hole to get an activator there. The intended solution was getting a driller from a hidden nook that I missed, lol.

My complaint with West 3 is that even though it's the last area you get to to if you do things in order, the main puzzles themselves are a loving cakewalk. They're really loving easy compared to everything you tackled to get there. Sure there's new ideas and applications of established ideas, and they're fun and all, but not challenging in the least. No new elements to the puzzles, nothing to really break my brain, everything was just a breeze. Simple order of operations stuff mostly.

I am looking forward to tomorrow, tackling the stars, doing the mega structure and then the gate stuff because other than these two minor gripes (having to walk long distances and the ease of the last area's main puzzles) the game exceeded every expectation I would've had from a sequel had I known it was coming. (Somehow I missed it so it was an awesome surprise to have my favourite puzzle game get a sequel.) It really goes above and beyond and with this, Baldur's Gate 3, the Cyberpunk 2077 dlc and 2.0 update, Dave the Diver, Dredge and a ton of other games I can't think of right now 2023 has been an awesome year for games.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Alan wake 2 is in the running to be my favorite game released in 2023. something fighting against that is its baffling decision to include random loud fullscreen jumpscares

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Owl Inspector posted:

Alan wake 2 is in the running to be my favorite game released in 2023. something fighting against that is its baffling decision to include random loud fullscreen jumpscares
Streamer fodder

Bussamove
Feb 25, 2006

Owl Inspector posted:

I just attribute it to Wake himself being kind of a hack. :v:

“And then it was like, ooo so scary. A spooky face appeared. My face. Screaming. Or maybe… laughing?

Creepy. You’re scared now. Poopy pants in the darkness.”

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

"Blood. Blood. Blood. And bits of sick."

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!

Bussamove posted:

I just attribute it to Wake himself being kind of a hack. :v:

“And then it was like, ooo so scary. A spooky face appeared. My face. Screaming. Or maybe… laughing?

Creepy. You’re scared now. Poopy pants in the darkness.”

Y'know what, I'd be happier with Garth Merenghi being a part of Control's universe rather than Alan Wake.

Whipstickagostop
Apr 30, 2006

Planet: Xeno Prime
So many things in Forza Motorsport are dragging the game down.

You are free to buy any car you can afford, but they had the great idea to lock the upgrades behind a level system. So if you want to buy a class D car for some online races, you have to waste a bunch of time doing single-player races to level it up so you can install parts that give you the ability to tune it.

The penalty system is completely broken. Car behind forgets to brake and smashes you off the road, dropping you 10+ places? No penalty for them. 5 seconds for you as you went off.

The AI is pure dogshit. They will just drive through you to get back on the racing line. Constantly braking on straights for no reason. Once you get in to the higher tier cars (R, P and X) they become terrified of you and will go spinning off as soon as you appear in their rearview mirror.
I never seem to be able to get any competitive races in single-player either. Even on the hardest difficulty, there will be 22 moving chicanes, myself and one actually good AI. You can't seem to have a battle with that one good AI either; if you are ahead by the end of lap 1, they just seem to drop off the pace and you'll finish 10 seconds ahead. If they manage to slip by, they somehow become Max Verstappen and you'll be unable to keep up.

Danger - Octopus!
Apr 20, 2008

Nap Ghost

Cleretic posted:

Y'know what, I'd be happier with Garth Merenghi being a part of Control's universe rather than Alan Wake.

If I knew how, I'd train an AI on Garth Merenghi's voice and then get it to do all of Alan Wake's narration in AW2 because his inner monologue and his writing would work perfectly for that.

What's really dragging AW2 down though is the lack of a photo mode on release. There are some really visually impressive locations, but photo mode is coming soon rather than being there on launch.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

big mean giraffe
Dec 13, 2003

Eat Shit and Die

Lipstick Apathy

Cleretic posted:

So weird to see a ton of references pop up to this really recently. Great show though, glad people are discovering it.