Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
we should make the cars take the underpasses.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GI Joe jobs
Jun 25, 2005

🎅🤜🤛👷

withak posted:

Like some sort of cyber loop?

Steen71
Apr 10, 2017

Fun Shoe

Platystemon posted:

People give Americans a hard time for not buckling their seatbelts, but the American motorist death rate is even lower than the Dutch cyclist death rate.

Excellent moving of the goal posts. Next you're gonna suggest that ground traffic should be banned and everyone should fly planes because air-travel has a lower number of fatalities per distance travelled. It's almost like the faster you travel, the easier it is to get a low fatality rate per kilometer.

PS. Since US motorist fatality rate is twice that of my country, I think it's safe to say that you are in favour of forcing US drivers to wear helmets*, right? And perhaps pedestrians too?

e: * This would actually be a good thing because it would discourage driving.

Steen71 has issued a correction as of 12:36 on Nov 6, 2023

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Steen71 posted:

It's almost like the faster you travel, the easier it is to get a low fatality rate per kilometer.

Shouldn't the metric be normalized to "hours spent traveling" or something, then?

cat botherer
Jan 6, 2022

I am interested in most phases of data processing.

Platystemon posted:

People give Americans a hard time for not buckling their seatbelts, but the American motorist death rate is even lower than the Dutch cyclist death rate.

We’re closing the thread at midnight.
Good thing no one ever has to walk to and from parking spots.

Steen71
Apr 10, 2017

Fun Shoe

gradenko_2000 posted:

Shouldn't the metric be normalized to "hours spent traveling" or something, then?

Yeah, that would probably make sense, otherwise walking seems absurdly lethal.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

It should be "unregretted travel minutes"

cat botherer
Jan 6, 2022

I am interested in most phases of data processing.

Steen71 posted:

Yeah, that would probably make sense, otherwise walking seems absurdly lethal.
Walking isn't lethal. It would be perfectly safe without drivers.

ArmedZombie
Jun 6, 2004

withak posted:

what if we hook them together so only one person had to drive?

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

"The original Terminator was a gritty fucking AMAZING piece of sci-fi. Gritty fucking rock-hard MURDER!"

withak posted:

the fight for increasing driver visibility has been lost. we need to reduce driver visibility as much as possible so they can never assume a maneuver is safe. see how that works for a while

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

"The original Terminator was a gritty fucking AMAZING piece of sci-fi. Gritty fucking rock-hard MURDER!"
https://www.nydailynews.com/2023/11/02/elderly-woman-dies-after-being-hit-by-hit-and-run-drivers-twice-on-brooklyn-street/

i skate this exact intersection all the time. visibility is great. these drivers absolutely knew what they were doing.

Greg12
Apr 22, 2020

gradenko_2000 posted:

per trip, bozo

countries should win for building cities that put origins close to destinations

Skinnymansbeerbelly
Apr 1, 2010
The bike trail is going to be closed for another year or two for freeway construction :toot:

spacemang_spliff
Nov 29, 2014

wide pickle

I hate how bright everyone's headlights are now. It's like everyone is driving with their brights on all the time, pisses me off. Then you get the assholes in trucks with goddamn stadium lighting. And it's not like it's actually making anyone safer pedestrian deaths are at a 40 year high lmao loving carbrains

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

spacemang_spliff posted:

I hate how bright everyone's headlights are now. It's like everyone is driving with their brights on all the time, pisses me off. Then you get the assholes in trucks with goddamn stadium lighting. And it's not like it's actually making anyone safer pedestrian deaths are at a 40 year high lmao loving carbrains

clearly the pedestrians' fault, since 55%* of all pedestrian - car crashes are due to pedestrian inattentativeness!

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007

spacemang_spliff posted:

pedestrian deaths are at a 40 year high lmao loving carbrains

huh i wonder if this has anything to do with the rectangles we started carrying in our pockets like ten years ago that are constantly crying out for our attention

Second Hand Meat Mouth
Sep 12, 2001

Pepe Silvia Browne posted:

huh i wonder if this has anything to do with the rectangles we started carrying in our pockets like ten years ago that are constantly crying out for our attention

certainly. the cops should start ticketing pedestrians for being on their phones - I bet that'd help lower the death rate. im not normally a fan of more policing but it might be the lesser of two evils here until the pedestrian death rate from cars approaches the rate that cops murder people

Lead out in cuffs
Sep 18, 2012

"That's right. We've evolved."

"I can see that. Cool mutations."

Skinnymansbeerbelly posted:

The bike trail is going to be closed for another year or two for freeway construction :toot:

:(

My city has a bylaw that any construction that disrupts a bike route has to provide a detour of equivalent quality. It's not 100% reliably enforced, but it is mostly.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

I really like living in a city where I can walk/bike to my doctor, dentist, post office, 2 grocery stores (3 next year), and like a dozen restaurants.

The number of car trips I need to make has been cut down by like 90% since I moved here. It's like one weekly for a hike and then one a few times a year if I need to haul a bigger load than I can carry in my backpack or on my bike.

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

Second Hand Meat Mouth posted:

certainly. the cops should start ticketing pedestrians for being on their phones - I bet that'd help lower the death rate. im not normally a fan of more policing but it might be the lesser of two evils here until the pedestrian death rate from cars approaches the rate that cops murder people

Maybe your phone could give you a push notification if it detects a car too close

Lead out in cuffs
Sep 18, 2012

"That's right. We've evolved."

"I can see that. Cool mutations."

Or maybe, just maybe, we could build road infrastructure that's intrinsically protective of vulnerable road users, rather than victim blaming.

Greg12
Apr 22, 2020
another day, another fire department veto of any measures that could make streets safer by making dangerous driving impossible

all streets, lanes, and alleys must allow 35-ton firetrucks to travel 55mph

to save lives, you see

Skinnymansbeerbelly
Apr 1, 2010

Lead out in cuffs posted:

:(

My city has a bylaw that any construction that disrupts a bike route has to provide a detour of equivalent quality. It's not 100% reliably enforced, but it is mostly.

That's cool, the detour they set up here is cratered like the road to Mariupol right now

Second Hand Meat Mouth
Sep 12, 2001

mawarannahr posted:

Maybe your phone could give you a push notification if it detects a car too close

that's a great idea - most new cars now have wifi and bluetooth, they can just start pinging each other so both the driver and the pedestrian know when they're getting too close

Suplex Liberace
Jan 18, 2012

it should slam the brakes on if it gets too close to a phone pinging as a pedestrian that will stop all crashes

500excf type r
Mar 7, 2013

I'm as annoying as the high-pitched whine of my motorcycle, desperately compensating for the lack of substance in my life.

ya for sure, lets give the police more power to abuse assault and otherwise ruin the lives of people they deem unworthy because... *checks notes* cars run people over

Weembles
Apr 19, 2004

that's a great idea - most new cars now have wifi and bluetooth, they can just start pinging each other so both the driver and the pedestrian know when they're getting too close

I've seen proposals like this by self-driving car types - where pedestrians would required to carry devices with them at all time to identify themselves to cars since cameras and radar aren't 100% reliable for spotting people crossing the street.

I haven't heard anything about it in a while. They probably figured out that it's cheaper to just blame people for getting hit than it is to solve the problem.

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

Weembles posted:

I've seen proposals like this by self-driving car types - where pedestrians would required to carry devices with them at all time to identify themselves to cars since cameras and radar aren't 100% reliable for spotting people crossing the street.

I haven't heard anything about it in a while. They probably figured out that it's cheaper to just blame people for getting hit than it is to solve the problem.

The self-driving car types have been pretty quiet since it came out that Cruise's "self-driving" cars had an average of 1.5 human beings remotely driving them.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

you dummies need to stop engaging with SHMM seriously :)

Mr. Sharps
Jul 30, 2006

The only true law is that which leads to freedom. There is no other.

spider hyphen man man

Weembles
Apr 19, 2004

evil_bunnY posted:

you dummies need to stop engaging with SHMM seriously :)

Everyone know's he's here to be lovely, but it's not like he's posting epic reddit recipies.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Skinnymansbeerbelly posted:

They should close the freeway for bike trail construction.

Weembles posted:

Biden’s $1.2 Trillion Infrastructure Bill Hastens Beacons For Bicyclists And Pedestrians Enabling Detection By Connected Cars

Thank you, Joe. :patriot:

Platystemon has issued a correction as of 20:32 on Nov 6, 2023

Second Hand Meat Mouth
Sep 12, 2001

Weembles posted:

Everyone know's he's here to be lovely, but it's not like he's posting epic reddit recipies.

look, we're not going to get rid of cars without revolution, so we might as well try to come up with other ways to prevent releated deaths. don't let perfect be the enemy of good :)

BONGHITZ
Jan 1, 1970

Mr. Sharps posted:

spider hyphen man man

ArmedZombie
Jun 6, 2004

just like hunt for red october

corona familiar
Aug 13, 2021

America Main Menu > Settings > Bluetooth > scroll down to "the Automobile" > Delete Pairing > Confirm

ArmedZombie
Jun 6, 2004

time to turn off slow mode

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things
A car hit a bus with 12 people on it and injured all 12 and the bus ended up going up on the sidewalk and hitting a woman and killing her.

All because of one piece of poo poo who shouldn't have been operating a car.

BRAKE FOR MOOSE
Jun 6, 2001

silicone thrills posted:

A car hit a bus with 12 people on it and injured all 12 and the bus ended up going up on the sidewalk and hitting a woman and killing her.

All because of one piece of poo poo who shouldn't have been operating a car.

idk sounds like this wouldn't have happened if we didn't have buses

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

The first thing we do, let's kill all the cars.
Grimey Drawer

BRAKE FOR MOOSE posted:

idk sounds like this wouldn't have happened if we didn't have buses

Also, if we didn't have sidewalks.