Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Misunderstood
Jan 19, 2023

by Fluffdaddy

World Famous W posted:

i will never stop laughing if both trump and biden get locked in and then nature and age doing what it does before the election
The Ramaswamy administration will be a rollicking good time full of hearty lols, I'm sure.

(But, no, it would be kind of funny.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Staluigi
Jun 22, 2021

Misunderstood posted:

Personally, I don't think it's a grand conspiracy, I just think "Biden in trouble!" articles get more clicks than "Americans lukewarm on Biden" articles, so we get more of them.

Willo's Law: the most sensationalist article or take of an entire related body of analysis will get disproportionally featured, because news needs sensationalism to thrive, and the eternally nervous are always on hand to share it with an "uh oh should we be worried"

Covok's Adjacent Rule: if one out of 100 polls shows bad thing happen, it is already time to let anxiety kickflip through the fragile walls of our mind no matter the other 99. 2016 broke us forever and that's that bud

The Koos Protocol: this is posting about posters, unless it's funny enough

Anno
May 10, 2017

I'm going to drown! For no reason at all!

Either way it kinda feels like the narrative should rest much more on what happens tomorrow right? Like a bad poll is a bad poll and shouldn’t be ignored even if it’s maybe an outlier, but if dems/dem policies do great/get housed tomorrow that probably matters more.

Anecdotally I’ve been surprised how many Yes On 1 signs I’ve seen around my area of Ohio, so I’m very cautiously optimistic. The early voting location here in Franklin county has been consistently busy.

i am a moron
Nov 12, 2020

"I think if there’s one thing we can all agree on it’s that Penn State and Michigan both suck and are garbage and it’s hilarious Michigan fans are freaking out thinking this is their natty window when they can’t even beat a B12 team in the playoffs lmao"

Anno posted:

Anecdotally I’ve been surprised how many Yes On 1 signs I’ve seen around my area of Ohio, so I’m very cautiously optimistic.

It’s gonna pass by like +10, I’m more interested in 2 and the effect it will have on my MMJ prices if it does pass.

I’m in Gym’s district now for some ungodly reason and the yes:no signs are at like a 5:1 margin.

Anno
May 10, 2017

I'm going to drown! For no reason at all!

i am a moron posted:

It’s gonna pass by like +10, I’m more interested in 2 and the effect it will have on my MMJ prices if it does pass.

I’m in Gym’s district now for some ungodly reason and the yes:no signs are at like a 5:1 margin.

I think it will but also don’t want to speak that into the world.

OctaMurk
Jun 21, 2013

Staluigi posted:

Willo's Law: the most sensationalist article or take of an entire related body of analysis will get disproportionally featured, because news needs sensationalism to thrive, and the eternally nervous are always on hand to share it with an "uh oh should we be worried"

Covok's Adjacent Rule: if one out of 100 polls shows bad thing happen, it is already time to let anxiety kickflip through the fragile walls of our mind no matter the other 99. 2016 broke us forever and that's that bud

Whats the difference between Covoking and Arzying ?

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

i am a moron posted:

I think the GOP eats some poo poo tomarrow on abortion and younkin is tying this election hard toward doing an abortion ban so i can that blowing up in their faces.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
They're going to eat a big pile of poo poo, that issue is expected to sail through with support in the high 50s. Hence the (failed) plan to raise the ballot proposition threshold to 60

Bodyholes
Jun 30, 2005

I AM GRANDO posted:

America is a pretty conservative place. Biden won partially because he said some pretty conservative stuff in the primaries. The no UHC stuff sticks out in my memory as something that put Biden apart from the Mayo Petes disingenuously trying to triangulate between what people want and what his donors would allow.

It really isn't. It just has the shittiest electoral system which tilts the politics rightward at every stage. The left in this country also has stockholm syndrome.

Biden won in 2020 because democrats over the age of 50 have tasted absolute defeat in the past. Their souls are broken. Once you've been exploited at work for long enough and lost enough elections in huge landslides, something in you dies. You feel you don't deserve better and it would be rude to ask for better.

So, to these people, it's permanently 1992. Bill Clinton is the only way to win. Biden fits the bill and he was friends with that cool black guy. Nothing more to it.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound
https://fxtwitter.com/KlasfeldReports/status/1721543450347061590?s=20

Trump on the stand!

Physically incapable of answering questions as asked!

Hieronymous Alloy fucked around with this message at 17:01 on Nov 6, 2023

Kalit
Nov 6, 2006

The great thing about the thousands of slaughtered Palestinian children is that they can't pull away when you fondle them or sniff their hair.

That's a Biden success story.
I made the mistake of clicking on CNN live updates from the Trump trial (apologies if this should be contained to another thread, I briefly looked and didn't see one). One thing that caught my eye is related to the recent discussion ITT about the recent battleground states polls that got released:

quote:

Later, the judge said: "In addition to the answers being non responsive, they’re repetitive. We don’t have time to waste. We have one day with this witness," Engoron says.

Trump’s legal team is deliberately trying to inject the political implications of a trial that the former president claims is an example of persecution into the apolitical context of the courtroom.

Kise referred to Monday's “New York Times” that carries polls showing that the Republican front-runner is leading general election matchups in multiple swing states that will decide the 2024. In another intervention, he argued that Trump was the former and likely “soon to be” next chief executive of the United States.

Is someone ITT who was pushing the importance of those polls actually Chris Kise? :tinfoil:

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
There is a thread for Trump's multitudinous legal issues, although you could also argue a former president being questioned in court deserves to be national news

Misunderstood
Jan 19, 2023

by Fluffdaddy

Anno posted:

Anecdotally I’ve been surprised how many Yes On 1 signs I’ve seen around my area of Ohio, so I’m very cautiously optimistic. The early voting location here in Franklin county has been consistently busy.
Yeah, it's expected that the initiative will pass by about with about the same number of voters that voted against the attempt to undermine it by altering the rules for amending the state constitution a couple of months ago. (~58%)

Amusing things Ohio Republicans have done to try to game this vote -
- The question about referendum rules was called Issue 1, and a vote "yes" was basically a vote against abortion rights ("yes" to increasing the requirements to just beyond what an abortion amendment could garner.)
- The question about abortion itself, for no particular reason, is also called issue 1, and voting "no" is a vote against abortion rights ("no" to enshrining the rule in the constitution).

This was all done 100% intentionally to create confusion, but it's probably not going to work well enough considering the strong support for the amendment.

There were also a lot of battles over the ballot language; I think you can see why:

Ohio Ballot for 11/7/23 election posted:

Issue 1
A Self-Executing Amendment Relating to Abortion and Other Reproductive Decisions

Proposed Constitutional Amendment, Proposed by Initiative Petition, To enact Section 22 of Article I of the Constitution of the State of Ohio. A majority yes vote is necessary for the amendment to pass.

The proposed amendment would:Establish in the Constitution of the State of Ohio an individual right to one's own reproductive medical treatment, including but not limited to abortion;
Create legal protections for any person or entity that assists a person with receiving reproductive medical treatment, including but not limited to abortion;
Prohibit the State from directly or indirectly burdening, penalizing, or prohibiting abortion before an unborn child is determined to be viable, unless the State demonstrates that it is using the least restrictive means;
Grant a pregnant woman's treating physician the authority to determine, on a case-by-case basis, whether an unborn child is viable;
Only allow the State to prohibit an abortion after an unborn child is determined by a pregnant woman's treating physician to be viable and only if the physician does not consider the abortion necessary to protect the pregnant woman's life or health; and
Always allow an unborn child to be aborted at any stage of pregnancy, regardless of viability if, in the treating physician's determination, the abortion is necessary to protect the pregnant woman's life or health.
If passed, the amendment will become effective 30 days after the election.

Shall the amendment be approved?[14]
The use of "unborn child" is extremely inappropriate in this context. It faced legal challenges but they weren't able to get that language removed from the referendum. But again, it seems unlikely this will be sufficient to get Republicans the result they want.

Crunch Buttsteak
Feb 26, 2007

You think reality is a circle of salt around my brain keeping witches out?
Pro-lifers have really been hammering the "this allows abortion up until birth!" rhetoric about this proposition, which appears to be part of their national strategy ever since Roe v. Wade got overturned. I'm glad that it doesn't appear that most people are falling for it, as if third trimester abortions for convenience are a thing that happens.

i am a moron
Nov 12, 2020

"I think if there’s one thing we can all agree on it’s that Penn State and Michigan both suck and are garbage and it’s hilarious Michigan fans are freaking out thinking this is their natty window when they can’t even beat a B12 team in the playoffs lmao"
They’re also blathering on about your daughters or other kids you’re responsible for being able to get an abortion without your permission or something. One of my idiot neighbors wrote everyone a note, by hand, about how she’s a nurse and the amendment vaguely ‘goes too far’ and dropped them on our porches (also the only vote no on 1 sign in the neighborhood). I’m sure it’s pissing into the wind, but DeWines commercials have incensed me so much I’m going to volunteer for the next D Governor candidate. I’d never vote republican to begin with but I’m hoping the last year turns the political outlook here into something like what happened in Michigan. We have an extremely corrupt and incompetent party of anti-democratic trolls with a stranglehold on state politics and they’ve made themselves look like embarrassing idiots every step of the way.

Rigel
Nov 11, 2016

Staluigi posted:

Pretty sure I invoke the humor exception more than anyone :colbert:

Grimoire
Jul 9, 2003

i am a moron posted:

They’re also blathering on about your daughters or other kids you’re responsible for being able to get an abortion without your permission or something. One of my idiot neighbors wrote everyone a note, by hand, about how she’s a nurse and the amendment vaguely ‘goes too far’ and dropped them on our porches (also the only vote no on 1 sign in the neighborhood). I’m sure it’s pissing into the wind, but DeWines commercials have incensed me so much I’m going to volunteer for the next D Governor candidate. I’d never vote republican to begin with but I’m hoping the last year turns the political outlook here into something like what happened in Michigan. We have an extremely corrupt and incompetent party of anti-democratic trolls with a stranglehold on state politics and they’ve made themselves look like embarrassing idiots every step of the way.

Anyone who sees that meltface reptillian couple and doesn't feel immediate disgust is lacking in, whatever the word for the reverse of empathy is. Every that ad runs the "yes" vote gets stronger imo

Misunderstood
Jan 19, 2023

by Fluffdaddy

Crunch Buttsteak posted:

Pro-lifers have really been hammering the "this allows abortion up until birth!" rhetoric about this proposition, which appears to be part of their national strategy ever since Roe v. Wade got overturned. I'm glad that it doesn't appear that most people are falling for it, as if third trimester abortions for convenience are a thing that happens.
It's funny - there is an argument to be made against bans on late-term abortions and certain books in schools that I don't see made too often. Basically, you are putting something in the hands of the government (the gubmint!) that is supposed to be the choice of an accredited professional - in the case of an abortion, a medical doctor, or in the case of a book in a school library, a credentialed library scientist who is highly trained, knows their students and can gauge what is or isn't appropriate. And if somebody in either of these positions messes up, they can be held accountable - but the decision should never be put in the hands of lawmakers who have only the vaguest understanding of the issues involved.

These are the people who should be making these decisions. If it's legal for a woman to get an abortion at 38 weeks because her wanted pregnancy was spontaneously aborted, there's no particular reason that we should expect that a doctor would perform an abortion at 38 weeks because a woman just "felt like it" - and if they did they would lose their license and possibly be charged with murder, under existing law.

The Kermit Gosnell story was a good example of Republican logic about abortion. "He broke all these laws, which shows that we need more laws." I think the fact that that rear end in a top hat is in prison shows the laws are pretty sufficient!

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster
Highschoolers are slowing down on their love of vaping, but middle school kids in the U.S. are picking up vaping at increasing rates.

Despite the slight downward trend in vaping among youth, kids today are still - inexplicably - about 250% more likely to use chewing tobacco than the general population. Kids, please stop bringing chewing tobacco back.

Other highlights:

- 0.5% of teens report regularly smoking tobacco products with a pipe in 2023. I imagine these are either the coolest or lamest kids in America.

- 1.2% of teens do not smoke or vape, but regularly use non-chewing oral tobacco products such as "lozenges, discs, tablets, gums, dissolvable tobacco products, and other products."

How do you not smoke or vape, but end up regularly hooked on nicotine gum or lozenges? I know that 98.8% of teens aren't doing it, but it is still a bizarre way to get into nicotine and tobacco products.

The study reports that the response rate this year was very low - about 34% lower than last year - and that makes the data somewhat more prone to swings in one direction or the other. So this may be exaggerating the decline a little bit if the sample had some outliers.

Youth tobacco usage still hasn't recovered from the vaping boom of the 2010's that reversed the decades-long decline in youth tobacco use, but it does appear to be falling from its peak.

https://twitter.com/CBSNews/status/1721482560801263746

quote:

E-cigarette use is down among high school students but remains steady among middle schoolers compared to last year, according to a study released Thursday from the U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention and the U.S. Food and Drug Administration.

This new report is based on findings from the 2023 National Youth Tobacco Survey, which looked at use of nine tobacco product types, flavored tobacco products and e-cigarettes among both age groups.

From 2022 to 2023, findings showed general tobacco use among high schoolers declined from 16.5% to 12.6%, while e-cigarette use declined from 14.1% to 10.0%.

Among middle schoolers, grades 6 to 8, there were no significant changes in e-cigarettes use from 2022 to 2023. An increase did occur in the number of middle school students currently using at least one tobacco product (4.5% to 6.6%) or multiple tobacco products (1.5% to 2.5%).

"The decline in e-cigarette use among high school students shows great progress, but our work is far from over," Deirdre Lawrence Kittner, director of CDC's Office on Smoking and Health, said in a news release. "Findings from this report underscore the threat that commercial tobacco product use poses to the health of our nation's youth. It is imperative that we prevent youth from starting to use tobacco and help those who use tobacco to quit."

The research also highlighted that use of tobacco products in any form is unsafe, especially for young people.

"Tobacco products contain nicotine and can harm the developing adolescent brain," the release noted. "Moreover, youth tobacco product use can lead to lifelong nicotine addiction and subsequent disability, disease and death."

Authors also noted some limits to this year's survey, including a lower response rate, which fell from 45.2% last year to 30.5% this year.

E-cigarettes have been a yearslong public health concern.

In 2019, the American Academy of Pediatrics called for a major new effort to discourage children and teenagers from using e-cigarettes.

"The increasing use of e-cigarettes among youth threatens five decades of public health gains," the AAP said.

On "CBS This Morning" at that time, Dr. Tara Narula, former CBS News senior medical correspondent, described the use of e-cigarettes among young people as "an epidemic."

"And we know it's not just the harms of the e-cigarettes, but the fact that it is a gateway to traditional cigarette use," she said.

Jesus III
May 23, 2007
I hate to admit it, but I loving love flavorless nicotine gum. I had to get on the patch to quit the gum. Both were still better than 20 years of smoking.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

Jesus III posted:

I hate to admit it, but I loving love flavorless nicotine gum. I had to get on the patch to quit the gum. Both were still better than 20 years of smoking.

You at least did it to quit smoking after 20 years, right? I don't get how kids (albeit a very small percentage of them) who never started smoking or vaping are getting in to nicotine gum and lozenges. It's the weirdest way for a kid to get in to tobacco products to me. You get all the downsides of addiction without even the "cool rebel" aesthetic of smoking that draws in so many teens.

Jesus III
May 23, 2007
Yeah, I wouldnt have started with gum. Vaping would have been incredibly tempting, especially the better health aspects, but vaping came around after I had mostly quit.

ummel
Jun 17, 2002

<3 Lowtax

Fun Shoe

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

- 1.2% of teens do not smoke or vape, but regularly use non-chewing oral tobacco products such as "lozenges, discs, tablets, gums, dissolvable tobacco products, and other products."

How do you not smoke or vape, but end up regularly hooked on nicotine gum or lozenges? I know that 98.8% of teens aren't doing it, but it is still a bizarre way to get into nicotine and tobacco products.

This is actually pretty popular with the min/max hustlebro culture and the nootropic maxstack nerds. They use it as a stimulant and nootropic. You can Google "nicotine nootropic" and see countless YouTube videos and alt-health websites about it

Nicotine gum/lozenges are in fact, relatively harmless vs any other form of nicotine available. The downside is obviously nicotine addiction, which can be very easy to get it you're not limited by your lungs collapsing or your teeth turning brown. The other big issue is blood pressure and heart rate. But as far as cancer goes, pretty much no risk at all, as nicotine itself isn't known to be carcinogenic in any appreciable way.

Who here on SA didn't try some random powders from SA Mart touted as a cognitive enhancer during their middle school years? :v:

Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord
It would not surprise me if kids figured a nicotine addiction alone isn't a problem, it was the cancer causing stuff in cigarettes that was the real problem.

I'm also curious how many kids are using vapes not for nicotine (or cannabis), but just breathing in flavored air.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Highschoolers are slowing down on their love of vaping, but middle school kids in the U.S. are picking up vaping at increasing rates.

Despite the slight downward trend in vaping among youth, kids today are still - inexplicably - about 250% more likely to use chewing tobacco than the general population. Kids, please stop bringing chewing tobacco back.

Other highlights:

- 0.5% of teens report regularly smoking tobacco products with a pipe in 2023. I imagine these are either the coolest or lamest kids in America.

The study reports that the response rate this year was very low - about 34% lower than last year - and that makes the data somewhat more prone to swings in one direction or the other. So this may be exaggerating the decline a little bit if the sample had some outliers.

Youth tobacco usage still hasn't recovered from the vaping boom of the 2010's that reversed the decades-long decline in youth tobacco use, but it does appear to be falling from its peak.

https://twitter.com/CBSNews/status/1721482560801263746

Middle schoolers are the dumbest version of all humans, news at 11

Anyway, wrt polling, to give a sense of how the NY Times is using their poll, there was an immediate supporting opinion piece from Bret Stephens where he gives the dumbest Bush Republican takes imaginable.

I'm honestly not that worried about it, the ex-president is about to get convicted of crimes and the GOP can't figure out how to campaign on taking away women's rights. Trump is barely campaigning and Biden has to get his face out there all the time, so Trump is practically the unknown among the infamous undecided voters.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Name Change posted:

Middle schoolers are the dumbest version of all humans, news at 11

Anyway, wrt polling, to give a sense of how the NY Times is using their poll, there was an immediate supporting opinion piece from Bret Stephens where he gives the dumbest Bush Republican takes imaginable.

I'm honestly not that worried about it, the ex-president is about to get convicted of crimes and the GOP can't figure out how to campaign on taking away women's rights. Trump is barely campaigning and Biden has to get his face out there all the time, so Trump is practically the unknown among the infamous undecided voters.

i think that poo poo changes when the general kicks off and the Dems have plenty of footage and audio from go knows how much court poo poo and speeches and etc. Id be more worried if haley or christie or some boring GOP ghoul got the nom and was able to moderate tone and had focus but thats probably not gonna be the case.

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

Freakazoid_ posted:

It would not surprise me if kids figured a nicotine addiction alone isn't a problem, it was the cancer causing stuff in cigarettes that was the real problem.

I'm also curious how many kids are using vapes not for nicotine (or cannabis), but just breathing in flavored air.

I'm not a young person, but this right here was what got me to try vaping. I just really liked being able to breathe a cake and have my workspace smell like a bakery. I never used anything with nicotine or what have you.

Honestly, I probably still would be vaping if I weren't too lazy/inept at taking care of the hardware.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

The House plans to subpoena Hunter Biden and James Biden for non-public depositions in the impeachment inquiry this week.

The new Speaker also says they are likely to have a vote on impeachment "very soon."

quote:

“I do believe that very soon we are coming to a point of decision on it,” he said Thursday.

“I have been very consistent, intellectually consistent in this, and persistent that we have to follow due process, and we have to follow the law,” he said. “That means following our obligation on the Constitution and doing appropriate investigations in the right way at the right pace, so that the evidence comes in, and we follow the evidence where it leads. You follow the truth where it leads.”

“We’ve not predetermined the outcome of this. We’ve not prejudged it,” he said. “But I think everyone can see how it is unfolding,” he added.

https://twitter.com/NBCNews/status/1721618618369118490

quote:

WASHINGTON — House Republicans are ramping up their impeachment inquiry into President Joe Biden and their investigation of his family this week.

On Tuesday, David Weiss, the special counsel overseeing the investigation into Biden’s son Hunter, will appear before the House Judiciary Committee for a closed-door interview, the first time a special counsel will answer questions from congressional investigators in the middle of an investigation.

And Oversight Committee Chairman James Comer, R-Ky., has indicated that his panel is preparing to send out a series of subpoenas in its impeachment inquiry focused on the Biden family's business dealings. Two sources connected to the investigation tell NBC News that among those expected to receive subpoenas, as soon as the middle of this week, are Hunter Biden and the president’s brother James Biden.

Representatives for James and Hunter Biden did not immediately respond to requests for comment on the pending subpoenas.

Weiss, the U.S. attorney from Delaware who is leading the Justice Department's investigation into Hunter Biden, volunteered to appear before Congress to clear up inconsistencies between his public statements regarding the investigation and the public testimony from two IRS investigators who claimed Weiss said he did not have the ultimate authority to bring charges against the president’s son.

His unprecedented testimony comes after the judge in the case rejected a plea agreement with Hunter Biden. Weiss asked for and was granted special counsel status shortly after the plea deal fell apart, but still agreed to appear before Congress even though the investigation is ongoing and he is leading an indictment of Hunter Biden on gun charges.

Hunter Biden pleaded not guilty to three firearms charges last month and has said he will seek to have the federal indictment dismissed.

House Republicans have accused the Justice Department of giving the president's son preferential treatment. They’ve cited the testimony of the two IRS investigators — Joseph Ziegler and Gary Shapley — to back up those claims. The two testified under oath that Weiss, a Trump appointee, was blocked from moving forward in his probe by other U.S. attorneys and senior officials in the DOJ. Shapley also testified and provided handwritten notes of a meeting in which he stated that Weiss said he was “not the deciding person on whether charges are filed.”

Weiss has written multiple letters to Congress rejecting those claims and is expected to be very specific about his level of authority in his testimony on Tuesday.

“Special Counsel Weiss is appearing voluntarily to testify before the House Judiciary Committee about the scope of his authority,” special counsel spokesperson Wyn Hornbuckle said in a statement to NBC News. “Mr. Weiss is prepared to take this unprecedented step of testifying before the conclusion of his investigation to make clear that he’s had and continues to have full authority over his investigation and to bring charges in any jurisdiction."

While House Republicans are interested in learning more about the DOJ's probe into Hunter Biden, and specifically if it extends to the president himself, Weiss plans to only clear up any discrepancies about his authority to bring charges and not divulge details about the probe itself, according to Hornbuckle.

“Consistent with department policy and the law, he will be unable to address the specifics of his investigation,” Hornbuckle said. “At the close of this matter, Special Counsel Weiss will prepare a report, which the Attorney General has committed to making public to the greatest extent possible, consistent with the law, department policy and the public interest.”

The closed-door interview will most likely be the only time Weiss appears before the panel until his investigation wraps up. He will ultimately be responsible for submitting a final report, in addition to filing any other charges. There is still the real possibility that Hunter Biden could face additional indictments on the tax charges that were at the center of the plea arrangement that fell apart.

Weiss’s testimony comes as three committees — Judiciary, Oversight and Ways and Means — continue their joint impeachment inquiry.

Comer signaled in an interview this weekend on Fox News that the committee is prepared to start rolling out a significant amount of subpoenas and requests for interviews for members of the Biden family and their associates. “I would predict somewhere around two dozen subpoenas in the very near future,” Comer said on Fox.

Oversight Committee Republicans have released several reports from their subpoena of Biden family bank records that show a series of transactions between Joe Biden and James Biden that appear to be short-term, interest-free loans from the president to his younger brother. They have released two checks from James to Joe Biden, one for $200,000, the other for $40,000, both of which indicate that they were for “loan repayments” in the subject line. The loan and repayments occurred after Joe Biden had left the vice president’s office and before he was elected president in 2020.

Comer has accused the Biden family of engaging in “shady business practices," but has yet to demonstrate how the transactions specifically show any concrete evidence of wrongdoing or influence peddling by Biden himself.

Newly installed Speaker Mike Johnson, who has been critical of the Biden family’s business practices, has taken a much more measured approach to the future of the impeachment inquiry since taking the gavel last month. He said that he would not predict the outcome and that he preferred to allow the investigation to run its course.

“We have to follow due process and we have to follow the law, and that means following our obligation to the Constitution and doing appropriate investigations in the right way and at the right pace,” Johnson said at a news conference Thursday. “So when the evidence comes in, we will follow the evidence where it leads. You follow the truth where it leads. So as we stand here today, I’ve not predetermined that."

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

The House plans to subpoena Hunter Biden and James Biden for non-public depositions in the impeachment inquiry this week.

The new Speaker also says they are likely to have a vote on impeachment "very soon."

so they have loving nothing and shutdown kicks off next week. all they are gonna do is help biden in the polls somewhat because its gonna be obvious baited bullshit.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

Dapper_Swindler posted:

so they have loving nothing and shutdown kicks off next week. all they are gonna do is help biden in the polls somewhat because its gonna be obvious baited bullshit.

House Republicans already said they were going to give Johnson a one-time pass on a 45-day CR. So, the shutdown probably isn't kicking off until mid-January.

Gerund
Sep 12, 2007

He push a man

If the House has a non-public deposition and no one gets to hear the Representatives' questons and their answers, does it become a sound inquiry?

I posit that no, it'll just be a sentance buried in the second para for the news story about the eventual Biden impeachment- "this comes after the subpeona of"- and allowed to be laden with meaning completely detached from any facts.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

Gerund posted:

If the House has a non-public deposition and no one gets to hear the Representatives' questons and their answers, does it become a sound inquiry?

I posit that no, it'll just be a sentance buried in the second para for the news story about the eventual Biden impeachment- "this comes after the subpeona of"- and allowed to be laden with meaning completely detached from any facts.

There's nothing really wrong with doing a private deposition if you have a lot of witnesses to get through or are discussing potentially sensitive national security information/information about an ongoing criminal investigation.

It's just funny/sad that they only did one public hearing and then decided to cancel all the remaining ones after it backfired. They also aren't letting Democrats do any depositions, which is another extremely obvious red flag that they just want to try to control what becomes public from the deposition.

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice

Gerund posted:

Eh, I don't think you're thinking with enough propaganda-brain. What is actually said in a Republican-lead non-public deposition only tenuously, at best, means a drat thing. The outcome will be whatever talking points Fox vomits into the brains of the swine feeding at their trough. In their minds it will be smoking gun proof of BIDEN CRIME FAMILY thus making it absolutely clear how Joe Biden is directing the corrupt and very unfair DoJ to ensure RIGGED AND STOLLEN, violating the very constitution of our country.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

I'm going to laugh if the GOP causes a government shutdown in the middle of an election year

That's about as dumb of an idea as I can imagine

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

House Republicans already said they were going to give Johnson a one-time pass on a 45-day CR. So, the shutdown probably isn't kicking off until mid-January.

maybe but who knows, i dont trust the house chuds at all.

bird food bathtub posted:

Eh, I don't think you're thinking with enough propaganda-brain. What is actually said in a Republican-lead non-public deposition only tenuously, at best, means a drat thing. The outcome will be whatever talking points Fox vomits into the brains of the swine feeding at their trough. In their minds it will be smoking gun proof of BIDEN CRIME FAMILY thus making it absolutely clear how Joe Biden is directing the corrupt and very unfair DoJ to ensure RIGGED AND STOLLEN, violating the very constitution of our country.

yeah they dont have anything and anytime they try some big daytime show hearing, it makes them look worse. they are gonna wing it and hope it helps them.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus
Every Democratic president will be impeached when Republicans have the house from now on, mark my words.

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

Professor Beetus posted:

Every Democratic president will be impeached when Republicans have the house from now on, mark my words.

Know how when you say a word enough times over and over it begins to lose all meaning and just sounds like gibberish in your head?
That's what impeachment proceedings are going to feel like.

Like you said, every Dem president is going to face impeachment immediately, and I'll put good Monopoly money down on Trump being impeached 3 more times if he manages to win a second term.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

I'm glad loaning family members is now an impeachable offense. That seems like a bad precedent to set.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

FlamingLiberal posted:

I'm glad loaning family members is now an impeachable offense. That seems like a bad precedent to set.

Only if Democrats do it, same as everything else

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

If the Dems retake the House in 2024 they should go after Don Jr. just out of spite. I'm sure if you can get Hunter Biden on some dumb charges you can get him for much more serious poo poo.