Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

nooo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

Cursed.

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

Epic High Five posted:

I'm sure it's been posted a hundred times already, but for me the Budget Bytes lentil chili is the gold standard for something delicious that is also healthy and stupidly easy to throw together: https://www.budgetbytes.com/slow-cooker-vegetarian-lentil-chili/

This recipe calls for canned beans, how do I use dried beans in it? Can I just put them in after soaking and do it the same?

Just-In-Timeberlake
Aug 18, 2003

i say swears online posted:

i would eat your pizza but i would also groan loud as poo poo if i saw you sling that onto the counter

and I would gladly laugh along with you because I mean really, it's absurd. But, it's also a loving bitch to bring somewhere because it's too heavy for most bags so I'm willing to take the ridicule

lmao, blast from the cursed past

Eat This Glob
Jan 14, 2008

God is dead. God remains dead. And we have killed him. Who will wipe this blood off us? What festivals of atonement, what sacred games shall we need to invent?

Just-In-Timeberlake posted:

lmao, blast from the cursed past

im glad people still remember that one lol

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

icantfindaname posted:

This recipe calls for canned beans, how do I use dried beans in it? Can I just put them in after soaking and do it the same?

An overnight soak is probably fine, but I've always just cooked them fully in a pressure cooker before adding because it lets me have extra around for various bean things. I'd be surprised if overnight soaked beans wouldn't fully cook in 8 hours on low in a slow cooker, but iirc kidney beans want higher temps to destroy some anti-nutrient or whatever so maybe pintos instead?

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.
Did some beanin' yesterday. Pinto beans in chicken broth with a ham hock, two serranos, red onion, and garlic. Came out amazing and its enough for 2 or 3 more meals.

bedpan
Apr 23, 2008

Just-In-Timeberlake
Aug 18, 2003
Had to replenish the strategic bread supply today. Baked on the baking steel.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin
What's the difference between baking steel and just a good sheet pan/jelly roll pan?

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

heat retention, so you get really crispy bottoms

Chard
Aug 24, 2010

someone can probably answer better, but its basically thermal mass. think about touching hot (i.e. 150 F) air versus sticking your hand into a pot of water the same temperature; the latter is going to feel significantly hotter, especially over time, because that heat is better able to absorb into your body. the greater thermal mass of the steel keeps the surface that's touching it at a higher temperature than air can, and also keeps more heat in the oven overall so there's less loss when you put your uncooked pizza in, and pizzas love hot hot ovens.

a baking steel can absorb more heat energy (higher thermal mass) than a sheet pan, so it does this job better.

Chard has issued a correction as of 01:05 on Nov 7, 2023

The Voice of Labor
Apr 8, 2020

Eat This Glob posted:

im glad people still remember that one lol

is there a saclopedia entry for laser printer dude?

snack soul
Jul 6, 2005

Chard posted:

someone can probably answer better, but its basically thermal mass. think about touching hot (i.e. 150 F) air versus sticking your hand into a pot of water the same temperature; the latter is going to feel significantly hotter, especially over time, because that heat is better able to absorb into your body. the greater thermal mass of the steel keeps the surface that's touching it at a higher temperature than air can, and also keeps more heat in the oven overall so there's less loss when you put your uncooked pizza in, and pizzas love hot hot ovens.

a baking steel can absorb more heat energy (higher thermal mass) than a sheet pan, so it does this job better.

yeah pretty much this. a big slab of metal absorbs and conducts heat super efficiently, so you get very intense and uniform heat transfer from the steel to the dough. ovens also have hot and cold spots, so the radiant heat from the steel helps to create more even heating

the high conductivity means the pizza cooks faster, so you get a nice chewy, charred / leopard spotted crust while the interior is still soft and pillowy with lots of big air pockets. without that quick heat transfer, the dough dries out and burns before you ever reach that level of char. a neapolitan pizza cooked in a wood-fired oven is sitting on a base that hits around 700F, with air temps over the pizza breaking 1000F. the pizza is fully cooked in 2 minutes. you will never get that same kind of texture baking a pizza for ~15min

Eat This Glob
Jan 14, 2008

God is dead. God remains dead. And we have killed him. Who will wipe this blood off us? What festivals of atonement, what sacred games shall we need to invent?

The Voice of Labor posted:

is there a saclopedia entry for laser printer dude?

i googled "something awful printer walk" and a front page story was the top result and i was able to copy/paste the first two paragraphs for my japery

https://www.somethingawful.com/great-goon-database/great-goon-best/3/

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

https://twitter.com/i/status/1721607210071924898

ugh i would destroy this. god save the king

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin
So would I.
So no one would ever again

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

a real communist would smash the throne instead of seizing it. but i'd isildur that poo poo so fast

Just-In-Timeberlake
Aug 18, 2003

snack soul posted:

yeah pretty much this. a big slab of metal absorbs and conducts heat super efficiently, so you get very intense and uniform heat transfer from the steel to the dough. ovens also have hot and cold spots, so the radiant heat from the steel helps to create more even heating

the high conductivity means the pizza cooks faster, so you get a nice chewy, charred / leopard spotted crust while the interior is still soft and pillowy with lots of big air pockets. without that quick heat transfer, the dough dries out and burns before you ever reach that level of char. a neapolitan pizza cooked in a wood-fired oven is sitting on a base that hits around 700F, with air temps over the pizza breaking 1000F. the pizza is fully cooked in 2 minutes. you will never get that same kind of texture baking a pizza for ~15min

I can get extremely close to that texture with a steel pan and a 500 degree oven, but I put that down to the dough I make for it. It's pretty hydrated (3:2 flour/water ratio), uses bread flour and is a cold rise over the course of 18-24 hours. Quick stir of the ingredients, no mixer or kneading, and just 5 or 6 stretch/fold and rises throughout the day after the initial overnight rise.

snack soul
Jul 6, 2005

Just-In-Timeberlake posted:

I can get extremely close to that texture with a steel pan and a 500 degree oven, but I put that down to the dough I make for it. It's pretty hydrated (3:2 flour/water ratio), uses bread flour and is a cold rise over the course of 18-24 hours. Quick stir of the ingredients, no mixer or kneading, and just 5 or 6 stretch/fold and rises throughout the day after the initial overnight rise.

last comment was comparing to baking on a sheet -- i should have added that a steel splits the difference pretty nicely. at 550F for me it's about a 5min cook time, and using the broiler at the end helps compensate for the lower air temp over the pizza. I'd say it gets you 90%+ of the way there. i have an outdoor oven that hits neapolitan temps when i really care about that last 10%, but it's more of a hassle so i mainly just use that when cooking for company. the steel makes some amazing pizzas

i also like doing a cold ferment. usually 2-3 days for me (3:2 ratio, but usually 00 or AP+00)

snack soul has issued a correction as of 19:14 on Nov 7, 2023

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

If I make split pea soup in the instant pot, can I cook a pork shoulder in the same pot or do I have to cook it separately beforehand?

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

I think if you skim the fat off it's fine?? dunno how possible that would be with peas floating everywhere

snack soul
Jul 6, 2005

is the shoulder already smoked? if not wouldn’t it take a lot longer to cook than the split pea soup? seems like something you’d need to do separately

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

shoulder first in the pot, pull out refrigerate, get rid of the fat, cook peas in the same pot catching all the fond stuck to the pot and non fat liquids used as part of the liquid needed to cook the pea soup. add shoulder back in at the end.

Just-In-Timeberlake
Aug 18, 2003
Made a kalamata, feta, and basil bread

Looks good…tastes ok? I dialed back the salt in the dough to compensate for the olives and feta, but they didn’t bring as much salt to the party as I expected so it’s a little bland. Also the basil is too mild an ingredient (and I put a lot!) and it gets lost in the rest of it. Next time I’m gonna go with some sun dried tomatoes, and maybe some roasted garlic cloves.

Well, the fun’s in the experimenting!

Eat This Glob
Jan 14, 2008

icantfindaname posted:

If I make split pea soup in the instant pot, can I cook a pork shoulder in the same pot or do I have to cook it separately beforehand?

you're gonna wanna cook the pork shoulder first, it'll take a lot longer than the dried peas

snack soul
Jul 6, 2005

nice lookin loaf

i made some soft pretzels for the first time the other day along with a beer-gruyère soup. came out pretty good. not too different than making bagels which i make pretty often. boiled in sodium carbonate (baked baking soda) before baking, so it doesn’t have quite the same color and sheen as making them with lye. might be able to fake it a bit by brushing on some butter or egg wash. i might just suck it up and start using a lye bath going forward.

i baked them on a regular sheet one rack up from the baking steel, but next time i might try using my bagel boards and cooking them directly on the steel. works for bagels so not sure why it wouldn’t work for pretzels

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

Crusty Nutsack posted:

thems good too, but I was talking more like this

scoopable when hot, sliceable when cold

Just quoting this again because it has seriously taken oatmeal from one of my least favorite things to one of my breakfast staples

the texture makes all the difference in the world, incredible stuff and super filling

in fact, I have some baking right now

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

Unrelated question - I bought some pickles at a farmer's market the other day and I noticed the jar they sold me was neither refrigerated nor vacuum sealed.

Is that safe? I thought pickle food needs to be at least one of those things

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?
you're thinking of canning, not pickling.

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

Good Soldier Svejk posted:

Unrelated question - I bought some pickles at a farmer's market the other day and I noticed the jar they sold me was neither refrigerated nor vacuum sealed.

Is that safe? I thought pickle food needs to be at least one of those things

was it fermented with a live culture or just a vinegar pickle?

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

Bar Ran Dun posted:

was it fermented with a live culture or just a vinegar pickle?

hot brine, according to the person I just emailed about it

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

hot brine, according to the person I just emailed about it

it has serious potential to be unsafe.

I would strongly recommend not eating those. That wouldn’t be allowed to be sold that way in the states. I would be especially hesitant if there was any garlic in it.

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

Bar Ran Dun posted:

it has serious potential to be unsafe.

I would strongly recommend not eating those. That wouldn’t be allowed to be sold that way in the states. I would be especially hesitant if there was any garlic in it.

I was worried as much, I should probably report this company to some sort of authority in my state I guess. They're putting people at risk

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

Well hell, now I'm getting into email arguments with local pickle vendors trying to give people botulism

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

Well hell, now I'm getting into email arguments with local pickle vendors trying to give people botulism

what an opportunity! jealous.

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

I just don't understand how you can set up an llc and websites and loving co-packing facilities and brand management and all this poo poo and utterly fail so completely at like the first step of food safety for your product

what a loving country

Crusty Nutsack
Apr 21, 2005

SUCK LASER, COPPERS

you know, it is possible that the seal failed on the jar before it got to you, at any point. I've bought stuff from the grocery store where the button is popped already. it happens sometimes

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

Crusty Nutsack posted:

you know, it is possible that the seal failed on the jar before it got to you, at any point. I've bought stuff from the grocery store where the button is popped already. it happens sometimes

They clarified in the first response "our products do not come vacuum sealed but are 100% safe for consumption" and that they are not fermented but brined

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

just eat it op