Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

xtothez
Jan 4, 2004

College Slice

peer posted:

admech patrol is 260 points lol (current one is 385, the lowest of any)

Wonder if that's an indication of the codex making the units stronger and more elite, since they were pretty underwhelming on 10e release.

AdMech really need it when a lot of those basic skitarii guys sell outside the CP at like £7-10 per model.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

One Day I Will Return To Your Side.

peer posted:

admech patrol is 260 points lol (current one is 385, the lowest of any)

does that mean it's weaker?

the units in it look super cool! I wonder what's the fat guy's deal.

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011
I like how they got rid of the old Ad Mech patrol which was a well-balanced mix of stuff plus a kinda useless walker, and came out with a new Necron combat patrol which is a well-balanced mix of stuff plus a kinda useless walker

Al-Saqr posted:

the units in it look super cool! I wonder what's the fat guy's deal.

admech stuff is very expensive for its point cost

fat dude is a pretty good unit leader with an efficient gun

Cease to Hope fucked around with this message at 15:38 on Nov 6, 2023

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

One Day I Will Return To Your Side.

Cease to Hope posted:

I like how they got rid of the old Ad Mech patrol which was a well-balanced mix of stuff plus a kinda useless walker, and came out with a new Necron combat patrol which is a well-balanced mix of stuff plus a kinda useless walker

The article says that this new combat patrol doesnt replace the old one.

rantmo
Jul 30, 2003

A smile better suits a hero

Isn't the Necron combat patrol the same as it was before?

xtothez
Jan 4, 2004

College Slice

rantmo posted:

Isn't the Necron combat patrol the same as it was before?

Their CP box from 9th had an aircraft in which doesn't work well in a small game format. It got quietly discontinued at the start of 10th, and they included this new Necron box in the rulebook but it hasn't actually been released yet.

peer
Jan 17, 2004

this is not what I wanted

Al-Saqr posted:

Well, kind of. If you're playing specifically the Combat Patrol format, against other factions' patrol boxes, you'll likely struggle both because your units are cheaper, which usually means less powerful, and because that box has no anti-vehicle weaponry.

If you're interested in the box as a starting point for a whole army, it's fine. Admech's always expensive in terms of bucks per point.

edit:

xtothez posted:

Wonder if that's an indication of the codex making the units stronger and more elite, since they were pretty underwhelming on 10e release.

I very strongly doubt we'll see significant datasheet changes, but I hope you're right

Virtual Russian
Sep 15, 2008

Genghis Cohen posted:

Just wanted to say this is a truly great conversion, I have never ever liked the look of that Scion greatcoat bit in any other situation except this, but something about how you've fitted it on there are positioned the right arm (presumably sculpting it entirely) just makes it look more natural, in a way I don't think the stock Scion leader does. Well done!

Lostconfused posted:

The models are at different angles, but it's the coat collar. On the conversion it looks close enough to make it look like the coat is being worn, instead of just floating there on the game workshop sculpt. Or a stiff high collar just doesn't look good if it's not framing the head properly.

Thanks for such kind words, plus thanks to others I'm not quoting.

I definitely agree that the coat doesn't look right on the scion, it looks like it floats just behind him. I assembled the coat first, took the coat and mini to a bench grinder and just ground down the mini until I could get the coat fitting snug. I did sculpt the right "arm", but really it is just the hand, plus some gap filling and the cord. I enjoyed this conversion so much I might make another to use as an officer.

rantmo
Jul 30, 2003

A smile better suits a hero

xtothez posted:

Their CP box from 9th had an aircraft in which doesn't work well in a small game format. It got quietly discontinued at the start of 10th, and they included this new Necron box in the rulebook but it hasn't actually been released yet.

Ahhh, that explains it, thanks.

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011

Al-Saqr posted:

The article says that this new combat patrol doesnt replace the old one.

they're gonna stop selling the old one, i expect, rather than having two boxes with the same name

my local shops still have the admech boarding patrol and christmas box, lmao

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

After gluing twenty five guardsmen

I'm already sick of Cadia's poo poo. There's just not enough variety, I need to find a way to break this up somewhat.

Desfore
Jun 8, 2011

Confirmed at least one furry on the Smash team
The Admech CP is basically the old Christmas battleforce box, minus the big units. (And I think they had 6 pteraxi)

Tangy Zizzle
Aug 22, 2007
- brad

Lostconfused posted:

After gluing twenty five guardsmen

I'm already sick of Cadia's poo poo. There's just not enough variety, I need to find a way to break this up somewhat.

headswaps help if you have any other kits.

I used all scion heads one set, and all palantine enforcers for another, they look pretty sick

tangy yet delightful
Sep 13, 2005

Cease to Hope posted:

phoenix gem winged autarch is incredibly good, like in the running for best lone op in the entire game good. spiritseers are much better with WB or WG because the resurrections are half of their value.

wraithlords are just kind of a mess this edition. plus, attaching a spiritseer to them opens you up to anti-infantry and anti-psyker.

I already have one Spiritseer with fates messenger riding with my Wraithguard in a Wave Serpent. I might change it up and have Spiritseer #2 walk with the wraithblades, haven't decided yet on that. But with your encouragement I do think I'll drop the enhancement on the seer to add to the Autarch.

Also I'm running 2 Wraithlords :v:

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

Cooked Auto posted:

https://www.warhammer-community.com...us-and-necrons/

The new Necron and AdMech Combat patrols have been unveiled.

But it also comes with some more rules previews:

Also, the new AdMech box won't replace the old one.

I'm hopeful this means they'll keep putting out new combat patrol teams at least occasionally

Decorus
Aug 26, 2015
Unless they're doing some major changes to AdMech units, that new patrol is going to be ridiculously vulnerable to any fire. Toughness 3-4 and 4+ saves, a total of ~30 wounds in the patrol. Zero ability to deal with any kind of vehicle. I guess if both the riders and flyers have their flamers they at least get one decent round of ant-infantry fire off, and charging is very strongly discouraged while one of those units still lives.

I've played a few battles with the current patrol. Your infantry units die at a rate of about one per turn, so by turn 3 you're down to the indestructible walker. You'll just lose due to inability to challenge more than one objective at that point.

Captain Magic
Apr 4, 2005

Yes, we have feathers--but the muscles of men.
I mean a horde of cyborgs is a pretty dope idea for an army, it’s just not what I thought AdMech would be

thebardyspoon
Jun 30, 2005
I hope they get way better with the codex. One of my buddies plays them, nominally, I think he's played two games of 40k this year so the actual playing has been pretty minimal and has spent the time since 10th launched lamenting how poo poo they are in our discord incessantly.

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

xtothez posted:

i still want more aircraft

lol it includes a doomstalker...i've never seen anyone irl include that, hope it gets buffed

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

Buglord

Captain Magic posted:

I mean a horde of cyborgs is a pretty dope idea for an army, it’s just not what I thought AdMech would be

While I love the look of the Skitarii, I agree. I thought there would be a lot more weird tanks, walkers and other vehicles.

Decorus
Aug 26, 2015
I haven't played a "real" game of AdMech yet, but they do seem quite fragile. And given how expensive they are in pts per €, you spend a lot of money and time placing models on the table that you then immediately get to pick back up. Also, my collection went down hundreds of points from 9th to 10th, so I'd have to spend even more just to have a full army. I'd have to slot in a Knight to get to 2k if I wanted to play right now.

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

They're only slightly more expensive than Astra Militarum from looking at the Games Workshop store page. They are a lot more expensive on points though in comparison.

Looking at the prices again, smaller armies seem to be a lot cheaper in terms of pricing, 10 miniature are in the same price range, smh.

Lostconfused fucked around with this message at 19:25 on Nov 6, 2023

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

Buglord
GW's prices have always been the worst part of warham tbf

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011

GreenBuckanneer posted:

i still want more aircraft

lol it includes a doomstalker...i've never seen anyone irl include that, hope it gets buffed

i think it was a mistake to have it look as much like the reanimator as it does. it looks very bland in photos but it's a weird creepy murder tower IRL.

it's also basically the same unit as doomsday arks and gauss heavy lokhusts, so it just kinda gets overlooked. i imagine it'll see a bit more play now that it's in a box you'd actually want to buy.

Nancy
Nov 23, 2005

Young Orc

Lostconfused posted:

They're only slightly more expensive than Astra Militarum from looking at the Games Workshop store page. They are a lot more expensive on points though in comparison.

Looking at the prices again, smaller armies seem to be a lot cheaper in terms of pricing, 10 miniature are in the same price range, smh.

According to Poorhammer (youtube vid) a month ago, Admech had the worst average points per dollar ratio at 1.49 pts/$. Some points values have changed since then but I doubt they've gotten that much better.

But yeah, especially with value boxes, as you'd expect super elite armies like Custodes and Grey Knights are some of the cheapest.

e: anyways it's dumb that $50 doesn't even get you 20 guard models, $5/model for guardsmen is insane. Though I think the Cadia Stands box in the US is still ~$110 so there are deals to be had, just not via paying MSRP.

Nancy fucked around with this message at 20:25 on Nov 6, 2023

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

I am tempted to just get another cheap guard combat patrol box, because it would be silly to get those minis another way.

But I'm also just rethinking this whole guards thing now. I'm going to try and exercise some self control and not buy anything until I get the ones I have done and painted.

The Demilich
Apr 9, 2020

The First Rites of Men Were Mortuary, the First Altars Tombs.

Super Waffle
Sep 25, 2007

I'm a hermaphrodite and my parents (40K nerds) named me Slaanesh, THANKS MOM

Lostconfused posted:

I'm going to try and exercise some self control and not buy anything until I get the ones I have done and painted.

This is the hardest part of the hobby.

I've got 1000 points of Iron Warriors still unbuilt and I'm already planning my 2k list.

EDIT - Back in 2008 (so 5th Edition) prices were set more by Forge Org slot; so a Troops box was $35, whether that was 10 space marines/Eldar guardians/etc or 20 cadians/Ork boyz/termagants/etc.

Super Waffle fucked around with this message at 21:11 on Nov 6, 2023

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS

Nancy posted:

According to Poorhammer (youtube vid) a month ago, Admech had the worst average points per dollar ratio at 1.49 pts/$. Some points values have changed since then but I doubt they've gotten that much better.

But yeah, especially with value boxes, as you'd expect super elite armies like Custodes and Grey Knights are some of the cheapest.

e: anyways it's dumb that $50 doesn't even get you 20 guard models, $5/model for guardsmen is insane. Though I think the Cadia Stands box in the US is still ~$110 so there are deals to be had, just not via paying MSRP.

I've never sat through that video but it's silly to average out every model in an army and do a points/$ for it. Tyranids are actually very expensive if you want to build a currently meta list because of how much it relies on 100-ish point monsters in $90 boxes and if you go for an Assimilation Swarm you're paying $50 per model for up to 9 Pyrovores which are 30 points each.

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011

Nancy posted:

anyways it's dumb that $50 doesn't even get you 20 guard models, $5/model for guardsmen is insane. Though I think the Cadia Stands box in the US is still ~$110 so there are deals to be had, just not via paying MSRP.

fwiw the guard combat patrol is the same as the cadia stands box, albeit without the only-briefly-useful 9e codex and unit cards.

admech tends to collect dust on the shelf so you can still find a bunch of the old value boxes.

• old combat patrol, $160 USD MSRP - three units (one a tank) and a character. cool models, good sampler of the faction. the tech priest is generic enough to serve as any but the goofiest character. the walker tank is bad in the game right now but mainly because it costs too many points.
  • boarding patrol, $140 - three infantry units and a character. basically fine, all of this is stuff you'll use, and the character in this box even goes well with kataphrons. for some reason this was the most expensive boarding patrol and i don't get why.
  • 2022 christmas box, Elimination Maniple, $230 - three units plus a unit of robots, and a big fancy special character. you can probably still find this box for sale because it's kind of bad. skitarii and kataphrons are almost always good for something but robots are a goofy gimmick unit that just cannot ever seem to find a niche. (at least their leader is another tech priest who can stand in for any tech priest.) you're also paying for belisarius cawl, who is just Tech Priest But Big. ymmv. he's an aura carrier guy like guilliman or abaddon but the problem is that his auras are just really boring. stealth? RR1 to hit? honestly you either need to absolutely love the robot or cawl models for this to be worth it at msrp.
  • 2021 christmas box, Omnissiah's Talon, $210 - five units (one of which is a light vehicle) and one character. if you can find this for <$250 it's about as good a deal on NIB models that you can get. everything in this is useful and the only problem is the same problem with the new combat patrol: it's gently caress all for points. but that's admech for you.

everything else is from like five years ago and you probably won't ever find it. if you're wanting to start scrounging, now is the time, since if the codex is good people will probably finally snap these up.

Eej posted:

I've never sat through that video but it's silly to average out every model in an army and do a points/$ for it.

true but admech have one unit with a reasonable points:dollars ratio, robots, and they're dogshit

Cease to Hope fucked around with this message at 22:15 on Nov 6, 2023

Super Waffle
Sep 25, 2007

I'm a hermaphrodite and my parents (40K nerds) named me Slaanesh, THANKS MOM
When I came back to warhammer I was so stoked to hear the AdMech was a full army now and was sure they were going to be my faction. Once I actually looked at the models I was so disappointed. The Horus Heresy range fits the Admech theme infinitely better, wish they would have just used those designs.

SeaGoatSupreme
Dec 26, 2009
Ask me about fixed-gear bikes (aka "fixies")
I'm planning out a super basic ork 1k army, I started with a combat patrol and everyone I play with has agreed that the war boss in mega armor should be able to lead basic Boyz, because why else is he in a box with them.

My potential list is:
2 trukks
3 deffkoptas
1 deff dread
Mozrog skragbad
1 weird boy + 9 boyz and a boss nob
1 pain boy + 9 boyz and a boss nob
1 Warboss in mega armor + 9 boyz and a boss nob

Comes out to 1005pts

My friends play an rear end load of iron hands, tyrannids, and necrons. Most games would hover around the 1k point range, and considering what happened last game I'm feeling very good about it, I just need something to handle bigger vehicles and monsters reasonably well.

Turn one would be normal, turn two would be a combo of deep striking with the deffkoptas and weirdboy poo poo to slap down any long range infantry that they have. After that it's all drifting through the battlefield and mech fights before the inevitable waagh mob on whatever is still a Problem.

Does this sound like a reasonable plan? I'm cheap as hell and this looks to be around 300 bucks all in.

Nancy
Nov 23, 2005

Young Orc

Eej posted:

I've never sat through that video but it's silly to average out every model in an army and do a points/$ for it. Tyranids are actually very expensive if you want to build a currently meta list because of how much it relies on 100-ish point monsters in $90 boxes and if you go for an Assimilation Swarm you're paying $50 per model for up to 9 Pyrovores which are 30 points each.

They address the fact that this isn't the ultimate answer for $=pts & that some lists are going to be vastly more expensive (or vastly cheaper) within each army; only ~15 minutes is spent on the average prices ranking thing. I took it more for a view on the concept of "value" within the hobby.

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

"That must weigh heavily on your soul. Let me purge it for you."
Good they've opened the door to new combat patrols rather than just being married to a bunch that were put together before the game mode was concieved.

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

I know I can go search old posts, but maybe it's easier to just ask.

What drilling tools do I need to magnetize the miniatures?

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

Just a hobby drill and some bits.

Samuel L. Hacksaw
Mar 26, 2007

Never Stop Posting

SeaGoatSupreme posted:

I'm planning out a super basic ork 1k army, I started with a combat patrol and everyone I play with has agreed that the war boss in mega armor should be able to lead basic Boyz, because why else is he in a box with them.

My potential list is:
2 trukks
3 deffkoptas
1 deff dread
Mozrog skragbad
1 weird boy + 9 boyz and a boss nob
1 pain boy + 9 boyz and a boss nob
1 Warboss in mega armor + 9 boyz and a boss nob

Comes out to 1005pts

My friends play an rear end load of iron hands, tyrannids, and necrons. Most games would hover around the 1k point range, and considering what happened last game I'm feeling very good about it, I just need something to handle bigger vehicles and monsters reasonably well.

Turn one would be normal, turn two would be a combo of deep striking with the deffkoptas and weirdboy poo poo to slap down any long range infantry that they have. After that it's all drifting through the battlefield and mech fights before the inevitable waagh mob on whatever is still a Problem.

Does this sound like a reasonable plan? I'm cheap as hell and this looks to be around 300 bucks all in.

I think you can slap the weird and pain boy mobz together b/c Boyz in groups 20 or more can have 2 leaders.

Or do it to the warboss mob and teleport him into a man.

It's my plan once I get an army set up, so if it's not in the rules, now is as good a time as ever to find out. I think the boss nob counts as a boy? Not sure.

CottonWolf
Jul 20, 2012

Good ideas generator

Super Waffle posted:

When I came back to warhammer I was so stoked to hear the AdMech was a full army now and was sure they were going to be my faction. Once I actually looked at the models I was so disappointed. The Horus Heresy range fits the Admech theme infinitely better, wish they would have just used those designs.

Yeah. The HH AdMech line is awesome. If I were to play AdMech I’d want to play an army of Tech Priests, robots and weird tanks. Not Skitarii. Unfortunately, that’s just not what the 40K AdMech line is.

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

I just don't like the Leonardo da Vinci aesthetic they're going for with Skitarii.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

Is it that mixed with Wild West/ American Civil War Era stuff?