Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

Woozie66 posted:

Some owner would give Bill GM/HC duties. I'm just trying to think of who. It'd probably be an owner who is mega rich and is tired of the team sucking. Like a Khan, but the Jags aren't in the market for Bill. Bidwell? Mara?

Is it the Raiders, OP

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
I assumed the Pats would just "promote" him to admin duties. Head of Football Operations Bill Bellichik (then they go hire a real GM who actually runs the show).

Black Sunshine
Apr 4, 2004

LEFT 4 DEAD IS A LOT LIKE FOOTBALL - I JERK OFF TO BOTH

FAT32 SHAMER posted:

Is it the Raiders, OP

No don't

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
Would a Bears/Panthers tie be a good or bad thing for Chicago's picks?

Amy Pole Her
Jun 17, 2002

Mega64 posted:

Would a Bears/Panthers tie be a good or bad thing for Chicago's picks?

Honestly neither team “wins” so it’s kinda good. Still need Arizona to lose but it keeps those other two picks well in the mix for 1

Nodoze
Aug 17, 2006

If it's only for a night I can live without you

PostNouveau posted:

I assumed the Pats would just "promote" him to admin duties. Head of Football Operations Bill Bellichik (then they go hire a real GM who actually runs the show).

Zero chance of this one, whoever gets brought in to run things would just get undermined by him. He also has zero clue how to evaluate offensive players

AndrewP
Apr 21, 2010

Autopsy of a Geno Smith interception:

^ Hawks are lining up, Geno under center.

^ Geno makes a change at the LOS. He probably thinks they're in man coverage with Hamilton as a blitzer and Stone taking Bobo (this is not actually the case). Lockett (bottom of screen) does not seem to know what the change is.

^ Geno now in shotgun ready for the snap, Lockett still confused. Not great because...

^ Lockett doesn't actually have a 1 on 1 with Stephens, they're playing zone, the ball is too far or Lockett runs the wrong route, and Geno Stone is playing overtop and makes an easy pick.

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

https://x.com/tompelissero/status/1721566892177920244?s=46&t=OK6AvWM-NBtlIQDYnQH66w

Vertical Lime
Dec 11, 2004

https://x.com/rapsheet/status/1721566933231747189?s=46

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

Yeah, that seemed pretty obvious watching live. He just tried to drop back and collapsed.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

Woozie66 posted:

Some owner would give Bill GM/HC duties. I'm just trying to think of who. It'd probably be an owner who is mega rich and is tired of the team sucking. Like a Khan, but the Jags aren't in the market for Bill. Bidwell? Mara?

The funniest version of this scenario would be the Raiders after what just happened. And I'm not counting it out if the Pats get rid of him (they won't...yet).

e: fb on the new page

Q_res
Oct 29, 2005

We're fucking built for this shit!
My gut says Mark Davis is going to look at Pearce and what he did yesterday and if he can keep the players wanting to play for him, regardless of record, he'll see him as a possible Dan Campbell style head coach and give him the permanent job. Especially after the Bisaccia experience, he won't want to repeat that mistake.

AndrewP
Apr 21, 2010

The Ravens' run game rules. They were super successful running from 11 personnel yesterday with Keaton Mitchell - he runs HARD through the tackles and has the speed to take off once he hits the second level. But they can also change over to under-center heavy 22 personnel and pound Gus into the end zone when they want to.

This is not even mentioning Jackson designed runs where he was basically averaging 10 yards a pop. Everything is working right now.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

Q_res posted:

My gut says Mark Davis is going to look at Pearce and what he did yesterday and if he can keep the players wanting to play for him, regardless of record, he'll see him as a possible Dan Campbell style head coach and give him the permanent job. Especially after the Bisaccia experience, he won't want to repeat that mistake.

He can also probably get him relatively cheaply.

The Puppy Bowl
Jan 31, 2013

A dog, in the house.

*woof*

AndrewP posted:

The Ravens' run game rules. They were super successful running from 11 personnel yesterday with Keaton Mitchell - he runs HARD through the tackles and has the speed to take off once he hits the second level. But they can also change over to under-center heavy 22 personnel and pound Gus into the end zone when they want to.

This is not even mentioning Jackson designed runs where he was basically averaging 10 yards a pop. Everything is working right now.

There is one single thing that is not working, the mesh point with Justice Hill. Hill has been responsible for something like 5 unforced fumbles that have been attributed to Lamar. If Keaton Mitchell can pass block worth a poo poo, Hill should get zero meaningful snaps moving forward.

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

No Butt Stuff posted:

They’ll have 95 million in cap space and a top 5 pick next year. They could probably free up another 30m by cutting some bad contracts.

I am not looking forward to seeing what Bill does with these resources when he is still in charge next year

*randomly googles 2024 draft prospects* uh welcome to New England, top 5 pick Quinn Ewers?

bows1
May 16, 2004

Chill, whale, chill
Bengals vs. Ravens in 2 weeks is gunna be a helluva game

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

Docjowles posted:

I am not looking forward to seeing what Bill does with these resources when he is still in charge next year

*randomly googles 2024 draft prospects* uh welcome to New England, top 5 pick Quinn Ewers?

The guy's had 2 top 10 picks ever and drafted a hof'er and an all pro with them.

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

Kalli posted:

The guy's had 2 top 10 picks ever and drafted a hof'er and an all pro with them.

Giant "on defense" asterisks since I swear to god if they use a top pick on a defender next year...

His biggest hit on offense is like, Sony Michel who is now retired 5 years after being selected

Docjowles fucked around with this message at 19:14 on Nov 6, 2023

Borsche69
May 8, 2014

bows1 posted:

glad they scheduled this poo poo for thursday!

The Puppy Bowl
Jan 31, 2013

A dog, in the house.

*woof*
I'm hoping TNF garbage football favors Baltimore since they're the home team and all.

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

Docjowles posted:

Giant "on defense" asterisks since I swear to god if they use a top pick on a defender next year...

His biggest hit on offense is like, Sony Michel who is now retired 5 years after being selected

Didn’t they draft like…Edelman and Gronkowski and presumably many of the various lineman who were near the top of the league for 20 years?

Rogue Elephant
May 1, 2007

Woozie66 posted:

The Maras are exactly the type of owners to get caught up in nostalgia and let Belichick do whatever he wants just because of those defenses in the late 80's.

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

I did not expect "Belichick has been questionable at drafting" to be my hot take of the week. Yes he has had some insane success stories like Edelman in the 7th round and obviously Brady. He's had some hits on OL but has also drafted guys like Cole Strange and Isaiah Wynn so I consider that a wash, bolstered by whatever dark sorcery Scarnecchia was working during that time

Also all of these hits are from like 15 years ago. The last Extremely Good offensive player he's selected in an early round was Gronk in 2010. If you want to count Michel I won't argue too hard since he was absolutely a big contributor to a super bowl run but Nick Chubb was also right there without the whole "no cartilage in his knee" thing

Docjowles fucked around with this message at 19:37 on Nov 6, 2023

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

bows1 posted:

Based on what I watched yesterday between the ravens and the bengals, I’m very curious how that game will go. The Ravens dominated, but I felt like a lot of the offensive play was sloppy and there were a couple of really weird fumbles. The Bengals look cleaner, but their defense isn’t as good (but also the Bills are quite different than the Seahawks)

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

Docjowles posted:

I did not expect "Belichick has been questionable at drafting" to be my hot take of the week. Yes he has had some insane success stories like Edelman in the 7th round and obviously Brady. He's had some hits on OL but has also drafted guys like Cole Strange and Isaiah Wynn so I consider that a wash, bolstered by whatever dark sorcery Scarnecchia was working during that time

Also all of these hits are from like 15 years ago. The last Extremely Good offensive player he's selected in an early round was Gronk in 2010. If you want to count Michel I won't argue too hard since he was absolutely a big contributor to a super bowl run but Nick Chubb was also right there without the whole "no cartilage in his knee" thing

You didn’t say he was questionable, you said his biggest hit was Sony michel. Which is probably true in the last 5 years or so just not overall. I certainly wouldn’t want him running the front office for a team I liked

AndrewP
Apr 21, 2010

Are strip sacks predictable or attributable to something specific, or just random? Obviously "pocket awareness" is helpful in avoiding them, but every QB seems susceptible to them because at some point you have to commit to throwing the ball.

Just yesterday I watched Mahomes, Lamar and Geno Smith all get strip sacked and there were probably more. These are QBs I'd consider having good pocket awareness.

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

AndrewP posted:

Are strip sacks predictable or attributable to something specific, or just random? Obviously "pocket awareness" is helpful in avoiding them, but every QB seems susceptible to them because at some point you have to commit to throwing the ball.

Just yesterday I watched Mahomes, Lamar and Geno Smith all get strip sacked and there were probably more. These are QBs I'd consider having good pocket awareness.

Burns specifically goes for strips. If the QB is stepping up and he's being pushed down pocket, he'll always reach out and try to knock it down.

I think part of it is defender knowing a qb has a history of fumbles. If the defense knows it, then they'll try harder to get their hands on it.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
If things align right, a Bengals/Ravens AFCCG would not surprise me. They're the only two AFC teams that seem to have most of their poo poo together.

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

AndrewP posted:

I think getting them is a skill but preventing them is probably too hard to be a real practicable one. They’re rare enough and situational enough that it’s probably hard to filter out the noise

Kawalimus
Jan 17, 2008

Better Living Through Birding And Pessimism
I don't know that I've ever seen a Ravens team play "clean" football except maybe in short bursts. Sloppy football(especially in the passing game) that still wins games is our franchise signature.

The Puppy Bowl
Jan 31, 2013

A dog, in the house.

*woof*
Strip sacks where the QB is in the middle of his throwing motion are almost always on the LT. Blindside pressure causes it. Dude's don't wind back their arm like that if they see the defender coming.

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

DeimosRising posted:

You didn’t say he was questionable, you said his biggest hit was Sony michel. Which is probably true in the last 5 years or so just not overall. I certainly wouldn’t want him running the front office for a team I liked

Fair enough I was specifically thinking about first round picks on offense which have almost universally been meh to disastrous, but I guess my one sentence shitpost did not fully convey this

He has been weirdly good with later round picks

Diva Cupcake
Aug 15, 2005

Strips sacks specifically, probably not predictive, but obviously some QBs are more fumble prone than others.

Daniel Jones has 46 fumbles in 60 games. Josh Allen has 55 fumbles in 86 games.

trevorreznik
Apr 22, 2023

DeimosRising posted:

I think getting them is a skill but preventing them is probably too hard to be a real practicable one. They’re rare enough and situational enough that it’s probably hard to filter out the noise

I think the only regular season fumble Rodgers had in his career went 30 yards forward and was then picked up and run into the end zone for a free TD

bows1
May 16, 2004

Chill, whale, chill

Borsche69 posted:

glad they scheduled this poo poo for thursday!

ah what the hell

fishing with the fam
Feb 29, 2008

Durr

trevorreznik posted:

I think the only regular season fumble Rodgers had in his career went 30 yards forward and was then picked up and run into the end zone for a free TD

i am enraged

Ornery and Hornery
Oct 22, 2020

Kalli posted:

Who? I was gonna guess Wilfork but he went at 21 overall.

kidcoelacanth
Sep 23, 2009

Q_res posted:

you would think so, but he's also mark davis, so

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Black Lighter
Sep 6, 2010

Just keep looking at what we're doing, keep watering and ask yourselves first and know 'Are you watering? And are you fertilizing every day?' So when it's time to pop, it'll pop.

Ornery and Hornery posted:

Who? I was gonna guess Wilfork but he went at 21 overall.

Richard Seymour and Mayo