Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

Ardennes posted:

The issue seems to be the design requirements of the M777, in order to get its weight where you want it and its mobility, besides utilizing nitrogen and being generally more fragile, it doesn't have a shield, and has a massive muzzle break to redirect the blast which is also hitting the troops. This is compounded by red bag charges.

Basically, liberal governments (particularly the US) pushed a lightweight, mobile, and low personnel artillery corps to such an extreme it is eating up its own personnel.

Yes, that's a much better way to summarize it lol. I was reaching for more reference books but you nailed it.

They didn't want to "give up" the capabilities they had gotten used to with M109 at the end of the Cold War by using an actual lightweight gun like M119,

So they thought they would just take that late model long barrel M109's 155mm gun, put it on a lightweight carriage, and call it a day. Lightweight obviously meant no shield, and a big muzzle brake. Using it like M109 meant large charges at extreme range. The confluence of all of those things means that guns still shake themselves to pieces, which the Ukrainians discovered, and also shake their crews to pieces.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hatebag
Jun 17, 2008

couldn't they just make a bit of cover like sandbags with sorbothane panels on them and fire the guns from behind those? it doesn't seem like it would be hard to avoid the blast waves. that's probably cheaper than churning through troops plus the weapons manufacturers get to make proprietary sandbags or whatever so everyone gets their bribes

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

Hatebag posted:

couldn't they just make a bit of cover like sandbags with sorbothane panels on them and fire the guns from behind those? it doesn't seem like it would be hard to avoid the blast waves. that's probably cheaper than churning through troops plus the weapons manufacturers get to make proprietary sandbags or whatever so everyone gets their bribes

I'm sorry, all of that R&D money is going into a new model M777 which will fire even larger (proprietary) charges at even longer ranges, and requires an even larger muzzle brake.

It's also reaching the weight (and length!) where there's no reason to call or use M777 as a light gun, they may as well put a shield on it or put it on a SP mount for chrissakes.

e: I like your idea though, and there have been various "crew shelter" proposals like that. The issue is that the reason the weapon is in the inventory is to be a lightweight, rapidly deployable, rapid tactical repositioning, airmobile, airborne, gun. Any concession to reality is not going to be popular.

Frosted Flake has issued a correction as of 16:26 on Nov 6, 2023

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Hatebag posted:

it seems like if they cared about not giving the troops brain damage they wouldn't have ditched the gun shields to begin with

quote:

The relentless firing was being driven by a small, top-secret Army Delta Force group called Task Force 9. President Donald J. Trump had given the task force broad authority to use heavy firepower, and the task force applied it with savage enthusiasm, often bending the rules to hit not just enemy positions, but also mosques, schools, dams and power plants.

Sometimes, artillery crew members said, the task force ordered them to fire in a grid pattern, not aiming at any specific target but simply hurling rounds toward Raqqa, to keep the enemy on edge.

in any case I'm not particularly sympathetic to the kind of people that would shell civilians and just claim they missed after the fact

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

gradenko_2000 posted:

in any case I'm not particularly sympathetic to the kind of people that would shell civilians and just claim they missed after the fact

It's interesting that it admits the US fired H&I missions because that was denied for a long time as "ISIS propaganda".

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

Megamissen posted:

frosted flake what can you tell me about this gun

Isn't that a BL 15 Pdr? It may not be, if you're American.

In either case, it's one the last generation of field guns before the French 75 and development of hydropnumatic recoil systems.

e: I think in America this would be the 3-inch gun M1897, 1890 or 1885.

Which like the British and French guns of the period, has a very un-chill history, not unlike the M777 in Raqqah.

Frosted Flake has issued a correction as of 16:37 on Nov 6, 2023

Hatebag
Jun 17, 2008

Frosted Flake posted:

I'm sorry, all of that R&D money is going into a new model M777 which will fire even larger (proprietary) charges at even longer ranges, and requires an even larger muzzle brake.

It's also reaching the weight (and length!) where there's no reason to call or use M777 as a light gun, they may as well put a shield on it or put it on a SP mount for chrissakes.

e: I like your idea though, and there have been various "crew shelter" proposals like that. The issue is that the reason the weapon is in the inventory is to be a lightweight, rapidly deployable, rapid tactical repositioning, airmobile, airborne, gun. Any concession to reality is not going to be popular.

yeah i guess if they have to haul around the port-a-bunker™, that's that many fewer shells per gun. plus, turning all the marines' brains to goo means they're more likely to just kill themselves which cuts down on long term benefit payments. many factors to consider

Turtle Sandbox
Dec 31, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Danann posted:

https://twitter.com/NextNavy/status/1720212602088050853

nothing can possibly go wrong with cutting the coast guard

Literally just means price of drugs go down, CG is just lovely boat cops.

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

Hatebag posted:

yeah i guess if they have to haul around the port-a-bunker™, that's that many fewer shells per gun. plus, turning all the marines' brains to goo means they're more likely to just kill themselves which cuts down on long term benefit payments. many factors to consider

American gun crews have also gotten so lax they don't even dig personal fighting positions to take cover from counter battery fire.

Those articles about Ukrainians griping that their NATO instructors did not prepare them to go up against the Russian army weren't wrong.

Ardennes
May 12, 2002
Admittedly, they are probably going to have to learn how to do in within the first couple weeks of an actual war...looking at the learning curve of the IDF.

Danann
Aug 4, 2013

Frosted Flake posted:

The US will lose WW3 because they will run their artillerymen into the ground using "modern" "lean" personnel management techniques

Also, the M777 is responsible to a large degree, if you guys want to get into cannon-chat. The short explanation is a lightweight gun that relies on a muzzle break to avoid shaking itself to pieces and doesn't even have a shield offers no protection to the crew and is directing a lot of the blast back at them for the sake of the gun.

Writing off 20% of an artillery regiment for a day's work is not sustainable, btw.

Lancets and flying lawnmowers are just a cherry on top in counter battery warfare when M777s are knocking out their own crews by the end of the month.

GoLambo
Apr 11, 2006
This is completely loving insane, like IG Farben workcamp burn through insane. Like "Paul Verhoeven satire just isn't cruel enough" poo poo.

Hatebag
Jun 17, 2008

Frosted Flake posted:

American gun crews have also gotten so lax they don't even dig personal fighting positions to take cover from counter battery fire.

Those articles about Ukrainians griping that their NATO instructors did not prepare them to go up against the Russian army weren't wrong.

yeah, guess you don't gotta worry about defending yourself when you're indiscriminately murdering defenseless people in a city 20 miles away

Ardennes
May 12, 2002
Yeah, you wonder how many M577 crews in Ukraine are already combat ineffective before an lancet gets to them (and then banishes the object of their torture). Looking at the range they are using their guns, they may very well be using full bag charges.

It also seems like those Excalibur rounds are almost as much damage to them as their target as well besides costing as much of an house each.

At least an old rear end D-20 has a shield on it.

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

Well that's just it. The articles all this year about Ukraine either "having" or "planning to achieve" artillery superiority, particularly since the Russian quantitative advantage isn't being denied anymore, all talk about firing at max range, their so-called ability to outrange Russian guns.

Which is not how sustainable counter battery operations work, or artillery operations generally. It's way too hard on the guns and you are very limited on what you can do at the edge of the envelope. More to the point, besides trashing the guns, this is undoubtedly trashing the crews as well. You can't fire ER projectiles all day long.

We're on the hook for Ukrainian pensions iirc, and the aerosolized barrel liners, copper driving bands and lead foil used to clear them out, on top of the TBI and hearing loss, are creating a ticking time bomb.

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer

Frosted Flake posted:

In either case, it's one the last generation of field guns before the French 75 and development of hydropnumatic recoil systems.

Which like the British and French guns of the period, has a very un-chill history, not unlike the M777 in Raqqah.

I think it's a 87mm M1877 but i'm cheating because i know he's Finnish

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

Regarde Aduck posted:

I think it's a model M1877 but i'm cheating because i know he's Finnish

Aaah.

Okay, well I guess it only has the Boxer Rebellion on its hands.

I believe you're right.

Ardennes
May 12, 2002

Frosted Flake posted:

Well that's just it. The articles all this year about Ukraine either "having" or "planning to achieve" artillery superiority, particularly since the Russian quantitative advantage isn't being denied anymore, all talk about firing at max range, their so-called ability to outrange Russian guns.

Which is not how sustainable counter battery operations work, or artillery operations generally. It's way too hard on the guns and you are very limited on what you can do at the edge of the envelope. More to the point, besides trashing the guns, this is undoubtedly trashing the crews as well. You can't fire ER projectiles all day long.

We're on the hook for Ukrainian pensions iirc, and the aerosolized barrel liners, copper driving bands and lead foil used to clear them out, on top of the TBI and hearing loss, are creating a ticking time bomb.

I think a lot of that was clearly rooted in over-optimistic assumptions about American/European production as well, that some how those industries would spool up as fast as the Russians. It just didn't happen. All they really can do is operate at max range and constantly maneuver to try to avoid Lancets, but this didn't work that great as well, and yeah, their crews were probably used up in the matter of weeks regardless.

The West is just squeezing Ukraine try of anything it can get from it. It is just that without Western ammo and equipment, they are basically down to scraps because they clearly don't have enough 152mm ammo or the guns for it; it seems like the amount of legacy armor is getting quite low (T-64s still show up but far fewer than they once did), and pretty much it is down to infantry.

Russia's issue is, even if Ukraine is down to infantry, infantry can still tie down armor, and be difficult to push off of fortifications and mine fields. It is why the positional warfare going on is mostly them just dumping ammo on top of whomever Ukraine has left forcing them to dig further for conscripts.

Best Friends
Nov 4, 2011

Frosted Flake posted:

We're on the hook for Ukrainian pensions iirc,

I’ve got big news on what the American elite think about pension obligations.

Megamissen
Jul 19, 2022

any post can be a kannapost
if you want it to be

Frosted Flake posted:

:sweden:
its on a golf course located on ground that used to belong to the artillery regiment based here
what are the basket things between the wheels and the barrel for?

theres also this gun in the middle of a roundabout next to the shopping center, also on the former regimental grounds

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

Megamissen posted:

:sweden:
its on a golf course located on ground that used to belong to the artillery regiment based here
what are the basket things between the wheels and the barrel for?

Seats. Gun crews of the artillery used to ride on the guns and limber.

Noosphere
Aug 31, 2008

[[[error]]] Damn not found.

Fascinating. So it turns out that modern armies can still find new and exciting ways to injure their own personnel.

Also, it's quite an indictment of the amount of force brought to bear on the Islamic State, that an entirely naked artillery battery was able to operate in the open for months without being troubled. Was there really anyone in Raqqa but defenseless civilians ?

Centrist Committee
Aug 6, 2019
what’s the big deal, just give the troops ear plugs

Jon Pod Van Damm
Apr 6, 2009

THE POSSESSION OF WEALTH IS IN AND OF ITSELF A SIGN OF POOR VIRTUE. AS SUCH:
1 NEVER TRUST ANY RICH PERSON.
2 NEVER HIRE ANY RICH PERSON.
BY RULE 1, IT IS APPROPRIATE TO PRESUME THAT ALL DEGREES AND CREDENTIALS HELD BY A WEALTHY PERSON ARE FRAUDULENT. THIS JUSTIFIES RULE 2--RULE 1 NEEDS NO JUSTIFIC

Are longer cords too expensive for the DoD?

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.

Frosted Flake posted:

That's ok, we'll weasel out of any financial obligations, provided those troops aren't simply killed first of course.

Also lol we were shelling cities in Syria and doing it as destructively to ourselves as possible because they thought somehow people would give a poo poo or be able to stop them if they put in more guys.

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

skooma512 posted:

they thought somehow people would give a poo poo or be able to stop them if they put in more guys.

Every president lives in fear of another Lebanon marine barracks bombing or scud hitting the barracks in Dhahran

It's not because getting a few dozen or a couple hundred soldiers killed is going to stop the war, it's because the neoliberal consensus is that imperial violence is something you can ration and manage like it's a line item on your op-ex finance report. If more than 1 or 2 US soldiers get killed in one go, that makes people at home pay attention - they want the war to stop, they want the war to escalate, it doesn't actually matter. What matters is that it creates Opinions about the situation beyond those held by the pmc middle managers in charge of doling out the cheapest possible violence while safely insulating the populace from knowing or caring about it, and that's dangerous to the neoliberal consensus.

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

Noosphere posted:

Also, it's quite an indictment of the amount of force brought to bear on the Islamic State, that an entirely naked artillery battery was able to operate in the open for months without being troubled. Was there really anyone in Raqqa but defenseless civilians ?

skooma512 posted:

Also lol we were shelling cities in Syria and doing it as destructively to ourselves as possible because they thought somehow people would give a poo poo or be able to stop them if they put in more guys.

The Oldest Man posted:

It's not because getting a few dozen or a couple hundred soldiers killed is going to stop the war, it's because the neoliberal consensus is that imperial violence is something you can ration and manage like it's a line item on your op-ex finance report. If more than 1 or 2 US soldiers get killed in one go, that makes people at home pay attention - they want the war to stop, they want the war to escalate, it doesn't actually matter. What matters is that it creates Opinions about the situation beyond those held by the pmc middle managers in charge of doling out the cheapest possible violence while safely insulating the populace from knowing or caring about it, and that's dangerous to the neoliberal consensus.

I would only that that the other part of this, which connects to nearly every other post ITT, is that they can't imagine "just use longer lanyards" or "use better PPE", which are relatively easy to implement health and safety improvements. I don't mean they couldn't do it. They can't imagine doing it.

A longer lanyard, which heavy artillery used in the world wars (or fired by remote with the crews behind berms, in trenches etc.) or better ear protection are relatively inexpensive solutions. Even more obvious an inexpensive are procedural changes like more crew rest, rotating crews etc.

All of their proposed solutions emerge from the same neoliberal consensus The Oldest Man described, which are incredibly capital intensive.

They would rather buy "BrainScope" whatever the gently caress that is, than use a longer lanyard and have the crews shelter during firing.

Pistol_Pete
Sep 15, 2007

Oven Wrangler

Frosted Flake posted:

It's interesting that it admits the US fired H&I missions because that was denied for a long time as "ISIS propaganda".

Yeah, the casual admission of war crimes really jumped out at me as well. I seem to remember that was going on at roughly the same time as the Syrian/ Russian siege of Aleppo and you'd literally get adjacent stories in the papers condemning Russian indiscriminate bombing of civilians and praise of heroic US special forces battling their way into Raqqua, although the results looked completely identical to me.

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.

Frosted Flake posted:

I would only that that the other part of this, which connects to nearly every other post ITT, is that they can't imagine "just use longer lanyards" or "use better PPE", which are relatively easy to implement health and safety improvements. I don't mean they couldn't do it. They can't imagine doing it.

A longer lanyard, which heavy artillery used in the world wars (or fired by remote with the crews behind berms, in trenches etc.) or better ear protection are relatively inexpensive solutions. Even more obvious an inexpensive are procedural changes like more crew rest, rotating crews etc.

All of their proposed solutions emerge from the same neoliberal consensus The Oldest Man described, which are incredibly capital intensive.

They would rather buy "BrainScope" whatever the gently caress that is, than use a longer lanyard and have the crews shelter during firing.

Clearing the immediate area around the gun and coming back is also Inefficient, very offensive to the capitalist mindset. This is a real war we got going on here, gotta up the throughput those civilians aren't going to shell themselves, troops in contact!

Bar Crow
Oct 10, 2012
Telling my commanding officer that the brain damage app says I’ve had too many brain damage points today.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

has anyone ever gotten tbi from a mortar fwoomph? just go with those

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

Real hurthling! posted:

has anyone ever gotten tbi from a mortar fwoomph? just go with those

Mortars fire at a much, much lower velocity.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

They've probably gotten tbi's from when the shell sort of just lazily plops out the tube and lands at their feet, or when it goes in the tube but doesn't come back out

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Frosted Flake posted:

Mortars fire at a much, much lower velocity.

cant you like shoot them into orbit from a mountain and let them fall down when you need them?

poisonpill
Nov 8, 2009

The only way to get huge fast is to insult a passing witch and hope she curses you with Beast-strength.

Bar Crow posted:

Telling my commanding officer that the brain damage app says I’ve had too many brain damage points today.

-Me, after reading CSPAM

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020
So in layman's terms, the artillery dudes got pounded by the shock waves of the firing at close range. So this new disease is like a different form of concussion?

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

stephenthinkpad posted:

So in layman's terms, the artillery dudes got pounded by the shock waves of the firing at close range. So this new disease is like a different form of concussion?

Yes, it's the result of persistent, untreated, recurring concussions.

Sort of like end-of-career heavyweight boxer more than someone who just hit their head skiing though. Or, maybe closer to Liz's brother Mitch on 30 Rock

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JsWW0OxYDfo

Ardennes
May 12, 2002

stephenthinkpad posted:

It is pretty much a series of heavy concussions that pulverize the brain. The West is very stubborn about pretending that constantly knocking your grey matter into the side of your skull is some type of great mystery.

Also, using a giant lanyard probably looks terrible on photos and is going to lead to questions from the public why soldiers are hiding in a trench 30 meters from the gun they are firing.

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

If you look at guns that fired equivalent charges to M777's max charge a half century ago, they had buzzers or sirens to tell the crew to take cover as part of the firing sequence.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0OK61HVW_fc

Frosted Flake has issued a correction as of 00:04 on Nov 7, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
Imagine being punched in the head repeatedly by a heavyweight boxer. But it's the concussion from your artillery because cost cutting and physics.