Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: harrygomm, Astryl)

Verviticus
Mar 13, 2006

I'm just a total piece of shit and I'm not sure why I keep posting on this site. Christ, I have spent years with idiots giving me bad advice about online dating and haven't noticed that the thread I'm in selects for people that can't talk to people worth a damn.
lol that they just made focused rage not work with whirlwind at all this time around

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

Ok swapped over fully from blood surge necro to Infinimist necro.

Is it better? Yes. Do I miss the screen shaking waves of blood shooting out of everyone and a wall of numbers appearing on the screen? Also yes.

It’s funny because you basically don’t have to care about both health and essence with this build it’s just making sure you manage cooldowns a bit

Zeg
Mar 31, 2013

Am not good at video games.

Zedsdeadbaby posted:

Nobody knows yet, leaks say 'spiritborn' that uses glaives but could be outdated info

Fingers crossed it is, because it sounds stupid as gently caress.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Spiritborn sounds like one of those weird Titan Quest subclasses you get from mixing two improbable skill trees.

Kaysette
Jan 5, 2009

~*Boston makes me*~
~*feel good*~

:wrongcity:

Tokubetsu posted:

Yeah I remember liking it in the beta with blight as the secondary but channeling in this game seems to just be bad overall. Sorcs have the same problem with incinerate just not stacking up even after all the changes. Sucks because all the wizard beam builds in d3 were cool.

There's even a vampire power this season that buffs standing still/channeling? But apparently it's still not good enough lol.

Yes! Bring back beams!

Last King
Sep 29, 2007

In corporate R'lyeh, Cthulhu works you.

Fun Shoe

Suburban Dad posted:

Do any of the developers play this game and understand how stupid any of these decisions are? Like getting a bunch of blood at the end of the journey when you haven't needed it forever? It's mind boggling. Granted, if I worked 40+ hours per week on a game the last thing I'd want to do is play it in my free time. Still, talk with content creators about this stuff or I dunno, think critcally.

if you're on the goon discord, i brought up this up a lot earlier in the development (lol) as so much poo poo was tedious, not working / worth the time, etc.

a goon who supposedly works on d4 condescendingly responded that why yes the devs spend a ton of time playing this game and promptly dismissed my comment. so apparently they do? but are too dumb / bad to fix these poor decisions and design choices? as some of their recent videos have shown, basic math is really hard (along with qa reviewing) so asking them to create more thoughtful seasonal rewards is probably a pretty tall order. but the game is becoming more fun so at least we have that in the meantime.

counterpoint, considering how blizzcon went, looks like things will (hopefully) continue improving until next year when we get charged $99 for a new expansion, everything breaks again, and we go back to square one, an alpha test (because lets be honest no one's testing any of this poo poo).

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog
I took a few months off and just hopped into Season 2. Holy cow they've made some outstanding improvements to basically every aspect of the game. Good poo poo

I dunno if there's much of a reason to hand over tenbux for the season but that's a good problem to have, IMHO

Wegovy the Cutting Glutton is my first time on a necromancer and it's real fun

Kaddish
Feb 7, 2002

Last King posted:

if you're on the goon discord, i brought up this up a lot earlier in the development (lol) as so much poo poo was tedious, not working / worth the time, etc.

a goon who supposedly works on d4 condescendingly responded that why yes the devs spend a ton of time playing this game and promptly dismissed my comment. so apparently they do? but are too dumb / bad to fix these poor decisions and design choices? as some of their recent videos have shown, basic math is really hard (along with qa reviewing) so asking them to create more thoughtful seasonal rewards is probably a pretty tall order. but the game is becoming more fun so at least we have that in the meantime.

counterpoint, considering how blizzcon went, looks like things will (hopefully) continue improving until next year when we get charged $99 for a new expansion, everything breaks again, and we go back to square one, an alpha test (because lets be honest no one's testing any of this poo poo).

The season journey completion requirement is probably coming from management/bean counters/business analytics/player engagement czar and less the 'actual' developers.

Tokubetsu
Dec 18, 2007

Love Is Not Enough
living steel the most annoying boss mat to get

Last King
Sep 29, 2007

Fun Shoe

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

I took a few months off and just hopped into Season 2. Holy cow they've made some outstanding improvements to basically every aspect of the game. Good poo poo

I dunno if there's much of a reason to hand over tenbux for the season but that's a good problem to have, IMHO

Wegovy the Cutting Glutton is my first time on a necromancer and it's real fun

save your $10 and put that towards the $70+ expac instead.

Zeg
Mar 31, 2013

Last King posted:

Well, now I have to join the discord.

flashman
Dec 16, 2003

Do you think the expansion is gonna be like an lod or RoS overhaul or is it just gonna be another 8 hrs of lovely story line you mash escapr through while we get drip feed of item fixes etc.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

It’s going to be a dating simulator.

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog

Last King posted:

save your $10 and put that towards the $70+ expac instead.

Holy smokes! It STARTS at $70?

Tonetta
Jul 9, 2013

look mother look at ME MOTHER MOTHER I AM A HOMESTIXK NOW

**methodically removes and eats own clothes*

AAAAA! Real Muenster posted:

I would pay for a DLC that let me get those on demand.

I'll never understand this behavior

Jaytan
Dec 14, 2003

Childhood enlistment means fewer birthdays to remember

Suburban Dad posted:

Begrudging I did the 5k seeds for one of the earlier journey steps but the last one is just too much bullshit. And it's dumb to gate content like that IMO. I really wonder what % of players have completed the journey.

If you flag yourself for pvp you can open Chad only chests that drop a lot of seeds at once. I was able to get 22k seeds in about half an hour while leveling my character. Maybe it’s more annoying if you run into other players, but I’ve literally never seen anyone else in the pvp zones on hardcore.

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

It’s going to be a dating simulator.
Ahhh.... Butcher-kun...

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Day 406: still no gravitational aspect. Build still works tho.

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

Tokubetsu posted:

living steel the most annoying boss mat to get

Helltides continue to suck

leftist heap
Feb 28, 2013

Fun Shoe
My general impression of Blizzard devs themselves based on playing Diablo and Overwatch is: generally well-meaning but also incompetent in absolutely bizarre ways. And obviously hamstrung by miserable management.

Last King
Sep 29, 2007

Fun Shoe

THE AWESOME GHOST posted:

Helltides continue to suck

and it's gonna continue being that way because they can't be bothered to do the helltide farming loop. if they were forced to do the grind from scratch using a fresh character and actually completed the season journey, they'd know instantly how poo poo it is.

MMAgCh
Aug 15, 2001
I am the poet,
The prophet of the pit
Like a hollow-point bullet
Straight to the head
I never missed...you

Bobby Deluxe posted:

Ahhh.... Butcher-kun...
"It's not l-like I want your fresh meat, stupid!" he growled, averting his beady little demonic eyes with almost entirely unfeigned dismissiveness.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Well I just hit WT3 at 46 with my twisting blades rogue, and am currently 54. Ran the blood tides thing a bunch, killed Zir, decked out in sacred gear. Just did my first NMD and honestly have no desire to do many more. It's way more fun to level than to grind the same poo poo over and over to level glyphs or whatever.

Zeg
Mar 31, 2013

Henrik Zetterberg posted:

Well I just hit WT3 at 46 with my twisting blades rogue, and am currently 54. Ran the blood tides thing a bunch, killed Zir, decked out in sacred gear. Just did my first NMD and honestly have no desire to do many more. It's way more fun to level than to grind the same poo poo over and over to level glyphs or whatever.

Yeah, I think I go to 15 on a few and move on to something else for a few days so I don't burn out.

Kaysette
Jan 5, 2009

~*Boston makes me*~
~*feel good*~

:wrongcity:
I’d like to farm duriel more but twice now I’ve logged in and there’s been 5-8 mins left on a helltide. I’ve got lots of mucus eggs through…

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

yea making helltides constant and cinders permanent like blood lures should have been the next sentence in the conversation after the decision to make boss summoning mats drop there

like, surely it was and some kind of corrupted demon person interrupted and said "no, I want it to be bad!"

MMAgCh
Aug 15, 2001
I am the poet,
The prophet of the pit
Like a hollow-point bullet
Straight to the head
I never missed...you
This past Helltide I went to where a Living Steel chest was supposed to be, only it wasn't. I tried the usual recommended remedies (portal to town, enter a dungeon) but they did not work, so I went to where the second chest was… only it also was not there and I couldn't get it to spawn either. :waycool:

Honey Im Homme
Sep 3, 2009

MMAgCh posted:

This past Helltide I went to where a Living Steel chest was supposed to be, only it wasn't. I tried the usual recommended remedies (portal to town, enter a dungeon) but they did not work, so I went to where the second chest was… only it also was not there and I couldn't get it to spawn either. :waycool:

I'm blown away this is STILL happening

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

I'm mostly content to race my horse toward objectives in vampiretides, only for the objective to disappear just as I get there. Also the loot goblin symbol comes up every single time I get off my horse on my position, and then disappears.

Gearman
Dec 6, 2011

Name Change posted:

I'm mostly content to race my horse toward objectives in vampiretides, only for the objective to disappear just as I get there. Also the loot goblin symbol comes up every single time I get off my horse on my position, and then disappears.

I'm pretty sure it's a little icon for your horse that runs off after you dismount. My guess is that, at one point, your horse just stayed in the world instead of disappearing and the icon was to help you keep track of it.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Name Change posted:

Also the loot goblin symbol comes up every single time I get off my horse on my position, and then disappears.

Holy gently caress I thought I was losing it

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Tonetta posted:

I'll never understand this behavior
You do not understand that I would pay for enjoyable content?

Henrik Zetterberg posted:

I didnt do any NMDs until I was in the 80s and could run high level glyphs with ease. I was more than powerful enough that I didnt need the glyphs to be any more powerful than their baseline effects, then when I finally decided to upgrade them I got two glyph levels per NMD the first few go-rounds, which felt nice.

AAAAA! Real Muenster fucked around with this message at 01:11 on Nov 7, 2023

Orange Crush Rush
May 7, 2009

You don't need thumbs for revenge
Yeah, Glyphs will level up to 15 rather quick as long as you can do 65+ fast enough. I honestly don't really care about them until my character is at that point.

Mailer
Nov 4, 2009

Have you accepted The Void as your lord and savior?

AAAAA! Real Muenster posted:

I would really love, like absolutely love, more game modes where I could focus on fighting for a while and all the loot would just be in a chest at the end. I'm sick of having to intersperse picking up loot off of the ground between murdering demons.

Strangely, this is what greater rifts (the thing you're objecting to) are. They don't feature the exact horde mode mechanic from vamptides, so there's no life drain and you're required to move, but they're pure murder on random maps with random mobs and any loot drops solely off the final boss. They're technically speedruns, yes, but if you're infinitely grinding repeatable content everything is a speedrun whether there's a leaderboard or not.

leftist heap posted:

And obviously hamstrung by miserable management.

As a general rule, aside from extremely esoteric actions like spending hundreds of hours pushing vertices to find bizarre speedrun-worthy glitches, I assume someone figured this out. Maybe they weren't important enough and mentioning it was a career-limiting move. Maybe they brought it up anyway and got shouted back down until they learned to keep this stuff to themselves. It could affect the microtransaction strategy, or the ship date, or somehow show content in a negative light that was the idea of a VIP. No matter the case they either knew to keep their mouth shut or had to learn to keep it shut the hard way.

That's on top of the 2023 "Ok we shipped, fire all the QA" trend currently.

harrygomm
Oct 19, 2004

can u run n jump?

Last King posted:

:goonsay:

harrygomm
Oct 19, 2004

can u run n jump?

Last King posted:

and it's gonna continue being that way because they can't be bothered to do the helltide farming loop. if they were forced to do the grind from scratch using a fresh character and actually completed the season journey, they'd know instantly how poo poo it is.

helltides were one of the most fun and universally praised things at launch. they were also a fantastic addition to d2r. they should be updated to match current design, but they were cool as hell

El Scandelouse
Jan 10, 2003

Love, Drunkchat.
I killed Lilith on my level 99 rogue with a regular rear end end game double imbue twisting blades build on like my 5th try.

The Uber boss end game loop is a hell of a lot of fun to do with friends because everyone is farming up mats and we get together at the end of the night to share our spoils.

NMDs should absolutely drop a living steel at the end because I’ve been doing so many Helltides and vamptides that I’ve only got two glyphs at 21 and 3 at 15.

I can’t wait to spend $140 for the DLC next year. Diablo is back baby awooo.

Psyker
Jun 21, 2004

[Binge and] Purge the xenos!

El Scandelouse posted:

I killed Lilith on my level 99 rogue with a regular rear end end game double imbue twisting blades build on like my 5th try.

The Uber boss end game loop is a hell of a lot of fun to do with friends because everyone is farming up mats and we get together at the end of the night to share our spoils.

NMDs should absolutely drop a living steel at the end because I’ve been doing so many Helltides and vamptides that I’ve only got two glyphs at 21 and 3 at 15.

I can’t wait to spend $140 for the DLC next year. Diablo is back baby awooo.

I think an awesome extension of your idea would be to have 40+ NMDs have a 50% chance on completion to drop a living steel, malignant heart, frosty-boi material, or exquisite blood.

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

Glyph xp: it's less poo poo if you only do the A/S tier nmds on the maxroll glyph xp list. Some of the dungeons are just bad for speed clearing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mailer
Nov 4, 2009

Have you accepted The Void as your lord and savior?

harrygomm posted:

helltides were one of the most fun and universally praised things at launch. they were also a fantastic addition to d2r. they should be updated to match current design, but they were cool as hell

They may have been where all the density was at launch but now they're just like Neph rifts - a mandatory thing that exists purely to drop items that justify its existence. If they remove having to plan your game time like they did with vampiretides that will objectively be an improvement, but it's still a break from the progression game to grind rerolls.