Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

B33rChiller
Aug 18, 2011

Cabbages and Kings posted:

Voco[R]der is cool; the on board (digital) VCO is not amazing but having a built in VCO (and noise generator!) at all is just a nice bonus, on top of the weird rear end things you can do with looped spectral analysis you can scrub through like it's tape and vary the speed on. It's got a "rewire" knob that remaps input and output bands; at the furthest setting it goes to a random mapping and then you can get a new random mapping by wiggling a little.

I'm not doing much music (aside from practicing a saxophone with some diligence) but I am learning a lot about what kinds of sounds produce interesting spectral signatures, harmonic signatures, etc. I want to mess with pushing stuff through a spectral delay on Hyperion before feeding it into the analyzer...
None of that makes any sense to me except I think you're enjoying your vocoder and sax. Right on, and similarly

B33rChiller posted:

Plug everything in to everything all the time.
https://youtu.be/93pI0-tCVCc?si=aBE7ZmSjRZSj6RLf

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cheese Thief
Oct 30, 2020
The dirtywave m8 has been my favorite thing. Workflow can be, sequence patterns within the m8. Using either internal sound as a placeholder, or controlling an external hardware. Then pressing record+play on a digitbox to transfer the midi patterns over for more fun turning the encoders. That frees up the eight m8 tracks for just playing samples while in sync with the DT DN. The m8 feels like a very proper supplement to other groove boxes, it brings out the best of everything.
Currently sampling all my old synths into the m8, very easy.
Still at a loss to find a use for the Octa other than as a very simple mixer using the A+B/C+D inputs.

Arms_Akimbo
Sep 29, 2006

It's so damn...literal.
This thread may be interested, Splice put out a Serum preset pack that's pretty, pretty good

quote:

Splice Originals proudly presents “Serum Classic Keys” - a rare collection of multi-genre presets that push the boundaries of Serum's capabilities to accurately recreate the sounds of some of the most sought-after keyboards such as the Mellotron, Fairlight CMI, Wurlitzer, and many other famous organs, electric pianos, bells, mallets, and keyboards. Carefully crafted and produced over the last year and heavily influenced by the likes of Bob James, Idris Muhamad, Ahmad Jamal, and many other keyboard legends, these unique sounds encapsulate the eclectic diversity of these classic keyboards, used in countless hits over the last 50 years, making this pack a must for every producers' sonic arsenal.

https://splice.com/sounds/packs/splice-originals/so_serum_classic_keys/samples

B33rChiller
Aug 18, 2011

Watching mylar melodies demo a new modular case by sinusoda, and as he says "although, you might be surprised what you can get away with", tetrising pcbs:
LoL

inferis
Dec 30, 2003

loopop getting extremely pro genocide in his instagram story

CatBlack
Sep 10, 2011

hello world

B33rChiller posted:

Watching mylar melodies demo a new modular case by sinusoda, and as he says "although, you might be surprised what you can get away with", tetrising pcbs:
LoL

this seems like a really bad idea. I had a bunch of 2hp stuff next to each other, not even tetris'd, and it would get so drat hot

Slore Tactician
Aug 27, 2005
MOURN!

inferis posted:

loopop getting extremely pro genocide in his instagram story

yeah just unsubscribed to his patron about this.

800peepee51doodoo
Mar 1, 2001

Volute the swarth, trawl betwixt phonotic
Scoff the festune

Slore Tactician posted:

yeah just unsubscribed to his patron about this.

I just subscribed to his patreon like a week ago, not realizing he's Israeli. Shortest subscription ever I guess.

fake edit: unsubscribing for the genocidal fascism, not for being Israeli, just to be clear

Judge Judy
Apr 16, 2001
The latest story I see is a U2 clip from 4 weeks ago. What was the offending post?

Slore Tactician
Aug 27, 2005
MOURN!

Judge Judy posted:

The latest story I see is a U2 clip from 4 weeks ago. What was the offending post?

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

"The original Terminator was a gritty fucking AMAZING piece of sci-fi. Gritty fucking rock-hard MURDER!"
genuine thank y'all for letting us know

If I can drop much smarter/talented folks for Christian Henson apologia I certainly don't need loopop.

Rod Hoofhearted
Jun 18, 2000

I am a ghost

:chloe::yikeseroo:

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

this take is so infuriating if you know even a tenth of what it’s been like to be a Palestinian parent of a boy in Gaza at any point in the past four decades

just completely blind to decades of state violence, they literally don’t even see them as people

watho
Aug 2, 2013

The real world will, again tomorrow, function and run without me.

every synth youtuber is required to have at least one just completely heinous political opinion i suppose :cripes:

Tayter Swift
Nov 18, 2002

Pillbug
yeah but why did it have to be the best one, gdi

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
It's not every day you get to see a milkshake-ducking happen in real time.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

To find some positivity in the world you can go buy a shirt from RMR and all proceeds go to an org helping trans kids.

I'm sure he's got some dumb opinion rattling around in his head, all humans do, but at least he's on the right side of that one.

Cabbages and VHS
Aug 25, 2004

Listen, I've been around a bit, you know, and I thought I'd seen some creepy things go on in the movie business, but I really have to say this is the most disgusting thing that's ever happened to me.

B33rChiller posted:

None of that makes any sense to me except I think you're enjoying your vocoder and sax. Right on, and similarly

it barely makes sense to me, but, tl;dr in addition to being a basic 8-channel vocoder it also has onboard flash memory and it will record a loop of the analyzed input from the voder. So, you can record an up to 3.5 minute loop of 8-channel vocoded data, then disconnect the analysis source, and continue to run that loop against whatever synthesis source you care to connect.

Further, since it's a digital looper, it includes a switch for forward, backward and back-and-forth transition of the loop, and has a "speed" knob that will do anything from a much-faster-than-recorded backwards loop, to a much-slower-than-recorded forwards loop, and everything in between.

So -- that's how it works. How that's useful is just going to take a fuckload of experimentation. Of course, with the looper off, it is "just" a vocoder.

And none of this poo poo made any sense to me until I got spectraphon and spent like a day reading about harmonics to understand what a vocoder actually is, and why Spectraphon is "similar but also totally different" :allears:

I hear some people make music with this poo poo.

watho
Aug 2, 2013

okay now take a modulated bass sound and vocode it to some chords and you've got a basic version of the current bass music hotness sound. i'm not all that into it but still, cool that kids are still coming up with new ways of loving with sound (that are fundamentally based on old ways of loving with sound)

B33rChiller
Aug 18, 2011

watho posted:

(that are fundamentally based on old ways of loving with sound)
It's always just been sines all along.

watho
Aug 2, 2013

B33rChiller posted:

It's always just been sines all along.

hey sometimes it's white noise too! hang on i'm getting a call give me a sec.

okay you're not gonna loving believe this

800peepee51doodoo
Mar 1, 2001

Volute the swarth, trawl betwixt phonotic
Scoff the festune

Cabbages and Kings posted:

I hear some people make music with this poo poo.

No way, its all just blinking lights, logic puzzles, and credit card debt, right?

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

the seven deadly sines

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

800peepee51doodoo posted:

No way, its all just blinking lights, logic puzzles, and credit card debt, right?

lol

watho
Aug 2, 2013

also this reminded me of a song i made from the starting point of "let's gently caress around with some sine waves and see what happens" and i got some fun acid-y sounds and just general chaos out of it. sine waves are pretty ftw i've gotta say

Spiggy
Apr 26, 2008

Not a cop
Sine waves are so cool that the Sofia oscillator lets you put sines on your sines. I'm way too proud of this meandering mess I made the other day using the aforementioned new toy.

https://on.soundcloud.com/WzUiw

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

sine crew sucks, square wave crew is where the cool kids are

Spiggy
Apr 26, 2008

Not a cop
Good news Sofia lets you put squares on your sines for the best of both worlds.

SpaceGoatFarts
Jan 5, 2010

sic transit gloria mundi

Nap Ghost

xzzy posted:

what's a square wave if not an overdriven sine ?

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

watho posted:

sine waves are pretty ftw i've gotta say

hard disagree

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

xzzy posted:

um what can we go outside and fight about this?

saws unto the grave imo

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

SpaceGoatFarts posted:

what's a square wave if not an overdriven sine ?

You call it overdriven, I call it optimized. It cuts out unnecessary data so you can get those raunchy buzzes right off the bat.

Without being ear-destroying like those ugly saw waves.

Boody
Aug 15, 2001
Is it just me or is reverb support really terrible? Particularly reverb UK.

Placed an offer on a guitar pedal. Haggled with seller, agreed a price. Tried to pay via paypal twice, both times paypal authorised the payment but reverb suffered an unexpected error. Tried 3 different bank cards and same issue. In the middle of this made two other purchases not on reverb one via paypal and one via card direct.

Over the last three hours keep getting the same person on support who is just not helpful, refused to do the basics and claims it's with their internal team.

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

xzzy posted:

:argh:

Cabbages and VHS
Aug 25, 2004

Listen, I've been around a bit, you know, and I thought I'd seen some creepy things go on in the movie business, but I really have to say this is the most disgusting thing that's ever happened to me.
What would life be like with a rack that was just plaits and marbles :allears: (no audio 1st ~8 sec)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uzVzxv6hgSA

Cabbages and VHS
Aug 25, 2004

whew, I was afraid maybe this ES-9 had USB issues, but, nope, just don't use cheapest-in-class 30' USB cables for anything more than, like 1080p video.

I blew up $65 on an optical 16' cable and we're back in buisness.

Also in the mean time I set up Cubasis on iPad w/es-9 and drat is that a cute loving workflow, I dunno if I even need to lug my KSP around anymore.

B33rChiller
Aug 18, 2011

xzzy posted:

You call it overdriven, I call it optimized. It cuts out unnecessary data so you can get those raunchy buzzes right off the bat.

You folks are like if gws were like, "SALT!" "No. SUGAR FTW" "THAT'S TRash, EveBody knows fermented fish are BEST INGRWDIENT. MORAN."

I like a bit of all the flavors. You got sine hum, triangle to crisp it up a bit. Some sizzle with oooh wooo woooszhie pwm, or really zazzy sawtooth. Even been known to blend and bake with a touch of noise.
Give it a try some time. You might like the taste.

Where's my breakfast pizza?

Low pass filters are muffin tins in this analogy.

B33rChiller fucked around with this message at 18:28 on Nov 8, 2023

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

at least we all agree that filters are where the real magic happens

salt, MSG, tobasco, cholula, frank's, louisana hot sauce.. add some zazz to those waves any way that makes you happy.

B33rChiller
Aug 18, 2011

Cholula Chipotle is my girlfriend.
At least that's what I tell my daughter.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

watho
Aug 2, 2013

the SID chip has way more analog warmth than a gameboy