Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

What checks are these people at the last stage of your deployment pipeline meant to be doing which can't either be done automatically or earlier in the process? It's easy enough to check that you haven't broken your whole app and any feature specific changes should already have some testing (as enforced by human pr reviews!). Some combination of feature flags and incremental rollouts give you additional safety.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

crazypenguin
Mar 9, 2005
nothing witty here, move along

Stabby McDamage posted:

In what world is this a positive risk/reward tradeoff?

The trainer might be emphasizing the wrong thing, or we might be getting it garbled through a game of telephone here.

But the best quality software engineering research we have shows that continuous delivery leads to less frequent failures with shorter duration and smaller customer impact.

The idea isn't that the changes are so worth it that recklessly causing outages is "worth it", it's that the "recklessly causing outages" is actually caused by huge durations between "wrote code" and "it's actually running", batching up large numbers of changes to deploy all at once, and lack of appropriate automated testing, monitoring, and rollbacks. As well as the "feedback" effect of knowing how things work (engineers build software differently (better!) knowing it gets deployed immediately).

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

Subjunctive posted:

it is “continuous” as in “incremental”. you don’t wait to ship everything in a big Next.0 release, but rather ship things when they are ready. you could do continuous deployment without automation, but it would require a manual deploy quite frequently, so people usually automate it

(CI is just “land on main when your stuff is done, don’t make a release person pull things together out of different branches and poo poo”)

but the release process is determining "done", how stuff gets copied around is not that relevant.

Snuff Melange
May 21, 2021

...some men,
you just can't reach.

crazypenguin posted:

Like, why are you asking security people? Presumably, a pull request got code review before being merged, so what possible security implication is there for that commit rolling through a CI/CD out to prod without further human intervention?

Well, fair question. I ask from the perspective of a junior member of an IT team and a smaller IT Security subunit who has only been out of college a year, and began work in a very dysfunctional org.

So, I am a security person too, at least ostensibly. I asked here because I wanted to get experienced opinions on the subject.

That said, I think replies are correct in that my OP exposes my very limited understanding of DevOps -- yeah, I see how any security concerns ought to be addressed before a merge even occurs and later prompts a pipeline run.

For what its worth, I think I might be right in thinking we do lack the kind of oversight and good policy that would drive that pre-merge security review process, and that something bad for security might slip through the cracks.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Cybernetic Vermin posted:

but the release process is determining "done", how stuff gets copied around is not that relevant.

yes, continuous is about having release be at the granularity of a changeset, that’s all. you can have whatever process you want ahead of integration, and as long as you’re doing it on a changeset basis (or feature basis if you’re flagging) you’re doing it continuously

it does not mean “yolo whatever from the cat walking across the keyboard”, but it means that the system is always deployable and each piece is looked at carefully, rather than deferring that analysis to later in a rolled-up release context

you can think of nightly builds of browsers as continuous deployment too; deployment doesn’t necessarily mean that it’s immediately adopted by all your customers, though that is a common model

Snuff Melange
May 21, 2021

...some men,
you just can't reach.

crazypenguin posted:

The trainer might be emphasizing the wrong thing, or we might be getting it garbled through a game of telephone here.

Yeah I mean, if I had to guess maybe the trainer was meaning to convey that when done right, continuous deployment is still the best practice, even if theres a risk of a mistake.

Probably a mix of the trainer framing it somewhat weirdly and me telephone gaming the message, oh well.

While we're on the subject of CI/CD though, I absolutely do not trust my company to iterate small and often and actually do the risk-averse part of CI/CD right.

Chalks
Sep 30, 2009

having your ci/cd deploy to production is fine as long as it's tested and the ci/cd part doesn't really have anything to do with that? it's not like it's fine to deploy untested poo poo manually either

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Subjunctive posted:

it is “continuous” as in “incremental”. you don’t wait to ship everything in a big Next.0 release, but rather ship things when they are each ready. you could do continuous deployment without automation, but it would require a manual deploy quite frequently, so people usually automate it

(CI is just “land on main when your stuff is done, don’t make a release person pull things together out of different branches and poo poo”, usually combined with automated test)

IME it’s way easier to deal with incidents from CD situations than from “release a version” big-bang build reconciliation because the changes are smaller and easier to reason about than “everything this quarter finally gets to interact”

me, looking at the in progress project: ha ha. ha ha ha.

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Still better than android clock

Chalks posted:

having your ci/cd deploy to production is fine as long as it's tested and the ci/cd part doesn't really have anything to do with that? it's not like it's fine to deploy untested poo poo manually either

i find a lot of people get hung up on what constitutes "testing" cause they picture code review and regression testing and detailed reports, while other people think testing is just "push it at 3 am and try the new live version when probably nobody's looking at it"

a test environment would be great but if you can't afford that, sequester a prod machine and let er rip and if it bursts into snakes well whoopsie maybe send that one back, otherwise gently caress it if it explodes we'll just roll it back and keep really good records of the last few dozen versions just in case we patch in a vuln that nobody notices for a year and a half

nobody's paying for a line-by-line code review of a point revision to fart.app unless it's the kind of fart that keeps an aircraft in the sky

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
what is a jet engine if not a continuous mechanical fart

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe

Achmed Jones posted:

do you think people just push things into prod with no oversight, process, or analysis? can you think of ways that automated tooling could be used to release things in a continuous fashion that aren't also very dumb?
#yolo ops

post hole digger
Mar 21, 2011

Shame Boy posted:

uh...

i mean...

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

well-read undead
Dec 13, 2022

this is a super clear no-one-good-answer topic, because the characteristics of your deployment environment matter a huge amount. web app? fire poo poo out there, you can roll it back instantly if things go bad. mobile/desktop app? now a fix/rollback requires end users to receive an update, so you gotta be more careful. embedded software in an on prem device? lol idk how the gently caress that poo poo works at all

of course there’s an additional dimension of the sensitivity of the domain but that’s even more subjective

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

i've seen so much, i'm going blind
and i'm brain dead virtually

College Slice

you've heard of devops, well here's yolops

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

Die Rettung fuer die Landwirte:
I learned today while doing data recovery that Microsoft generates an RSA key when you create an Active Directory domain. That key is permanent. Every domain joined PC uses this key as a secondary key to protect the user's master key, which in turn encrypts saved credentials.

At least you need domain admin privileges to access this thing, but it still feels a bit reckless.

Aynway, I managed to recover data that someone had encrypted with loving EFS for some reason. Cripes, I never want to do this again.

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Cold on a Cob posted:

you've heard of devops, well here's yolops

more like yoclops because "nobody" will be maintaining this

shackleford
Sep 4, 2006

haveblue posted:

what is a jet engine if not a continuous mechanical fart

the not so continuous type was also briefly tried

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

flakeloaf posted:

more like yoclops because "nobody" will be maintaining this

:rolleye:

raminasi
Jan 25, 2005

a last drink with no ice

well-read undead posted:

this is a super clear no-one-good-answer topic, because the characteristics of your deployment environment matter a huge amount. web app? fire poo poo out there, you can roll it back instantly if things go bad. mobile/desktop app? now a fix/rollback requires end users to receive an update, so you gotta be more careful. embedded software in an on prem device? lol idk how the gently caress that poo poo works at all

of course there’s an additional dimension of the sensitivity of the domain but that’s even more subjective

plus, in some domains, change risk can vary over time - the correct deployment philosophy might be different on black friday or new year’s eve than then it was the week before.

when reading someone else’s confident prescriptions about the correct way to do deployments, pay close attention to how well their circumstances match your own.

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

yeah if you really screw up embedded or end user systems then you have to either send out field technicians or engineers or have customers take the product to the retailer or mail it back

aka product recall

so a web app that screws up isn’t the end of the world because that stuff happens all the time

really expensive embedded systems tend to have extensive QA between releases, which are few and far between because bricking it is costly to fix due to pure labor costs

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

remember when video games came on carts and CDs and were quite playable and usable on day one

and now you have day one patches to even beat the game so you have to spend the time installing it and then patching it which could take all drat day

and now you have baldur’s gate 3 which is game of the year because you don’t have paid day one DLC

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

i have gigabit internet so it usually doesn't bother me

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

I remember when console makers allowed game publishers to produce and sell N copies of the buggy CD or cartridge before manufacturing switched to the bug-free version and there was absolutely no way to fix the buggy versions, if you were a superfan who bought it on day one you were just hosed.

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

I remember when a game bug ruined your save in progress, you were either completely hosed or (very rarely) you could pay to mail your memory card to Nintendo and several months later they'd mail you back your memory card with a fixed save.

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

i bought this game called impossible mission and it has a bug and well, i can't exactly claim to be mad about it

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

shackleford posted:

saw someone fly an rc plane with one of these suckers in the 90s, he built the entire thing himself

it's incredibly loud lmao

110623_5
Nov 7, 2023

shackleford posted:

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

the physics of posting

Elder Postsman
Aug 30, 2000

i used hot bot to search for "teens"

Truga posted:

saw someone fly an rc plane with one of these suckers in the 90s, he built the entire thing himself

it's incredibly loud lmao

you can make a really simple one with a mason jar

i tried it and it ran for approx 2 seconds

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD

Antigravitas posted:

I learned today while doing data recovery that Microsoft generates an RSA key when you create an Active Directory domain. That key is permanent. Every domain joined PC uses this key as a secondary key to protect the user's master key, which in turn encrypts saved credentials.

At least you need domain admin privileges to access this thing, but it still feels a bit reckless.

Aynway, I managed to recover data that someone had encrypted with loving EFS for some reason. Cripes, I never want to do this again.

When you create a VM in Azure, the only option for a SSH key is RSA. :negative:

(I'm not even sure how that works, because Ubuntu isn't meant to support RSA by default. They must have changed that on their image.)

Hed
Mar 31, 2004

Fun Shoe

~Coxy posted:

When you create a VM in Azure, the only option for a SSH key is RSA. :negative:

(I'm not even sure how that works, because Ubuntu isn't meant to support RSA by default. They must have changed that on their image.)

I noticed this last week as well. The Premier Cloud Platform :smug:

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

pseudorandom name posted:

I remember when a game bug ruined your save in progress, you were either completely hosed or (very rarely) you could pay to mail your memory card to Nintendo and several months later they'd mail you back your memory card with a fixed save.

I think the last game I know of that still had a game breaking bug was ar tonelico 2 for the ps2.

If you took too long at one of the midbosses, it causes some sort of UI glitch related to translation and crashes.

well-read undead
Dec 13, 2022

sumo logic secfuck incoming

quote:

On Friday, November 3rd, 2023, Sumo Logic discovered evidence of a potential security incident. The activity identified used a compromised credential to access a Sumo Logic AWS account. We have not at this time discovered any impacts to our networks or systems, and customer data has been and remains encrypted.

:allears:

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...
Sumo them accounts

namlosh
Feb 11, 2014

I name this haircut "The Sad Rhino".
this seems like a pretty large breach.

https://www.thestreet.com/real-estate/mr-cooper-cyberattack

will be interested to find out more details

Dr. Kayak Paddle
May 10, 2006

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2023-11-08/optus-outage-live-blog/103076996

It's definitely not spyware

spankmeister