Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What hot hatch do you own?
This poll is closed.
Golf GTI / R / R32 196 0.02%
Impreza WRX / STi 133 0.01%
Mazdaspeed 3 92 0.01%
Veloster Turbo 20 0.00%
Focus ST 149 0.01%
Other Hot Hatch 230 0.02%
Elantra GT 1000001 99.92%
Total: 1000821 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Solus posted:

:unsmith: We are back

:nice:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

devmd01
Mar 7, 2006

Elektronik
Supersonik
Did the first oil change in the ST, it was time. Read about using the Motorcraft FL-400S filter to get a tiny bit more oil volume; now six quarts is perfect on the dipstick.

Had a fun time getting it in the air, my jack isn’t low enough. Thankfully a friend had a Daytona low profile long reach, which has *just* enough clearance to reach the center of the front sub-frame.

Had one of the kids help me, the other two weren’t interested.

Dr. Kayak Paddle
May 10, 2006

Took delivery of my fat Yaris today.

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

Dr. Kayak Paddle posted:

:hellyeah:

Have fun with that beast this weekend!

Dr. Lunchables
Dec 27, 2012

IRL DEBUFFED KOBOLD

Dr. Kayak Paddle posted:

drat dude, I’m jealous

TheBacon
Feb 8, 2012

#essereFerrari

Dr. Kayak Paddle posted:

:krad:

Arcella
Dec 16, 2013

Shiny and Chrome

Dr. Kayak Paddle posted:

Nice, not too much dealer markup?

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Dr. Kayak Paddle posted:

awesome

no lube so what
Apr 11, 2021

Dr. Kayak Paddle posted:

is it a core with a vented hood or a circuit with a wrapped roof?

Dr. Kayak Paddle
May 10, 2006

Arcella posted:

Nice, not too much dealer markup?

I’m in Australia so that’s not really a thing, fortunately.

no lube so what posted:

is it a core with a vented hood or a circuit with a wrapped roof?

Australian market car. This is a GTS model, so I think it is in between the core and Japanese RZ model.

Dr. Kayak Paddle fucked around with this message at 21:19 on Oct 13, 2023

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

...but then you get to the end and a gorilla starts throwing barrels at you!
Grimey Drawer
Hey so the dampers are blown on all 4 corners of my '14 FoST and was wondering if anyone had any experience putting a set of Bilstein B12s (their B8 shocks with Eibach springs) on. Lowers the car a little (like an inch).

Kinda going back and forth between the B12s and just getting a set of B6s which would use the stock springs and thus keep stock ride height while improving the handling a little compared to a set of fresh OEM dampers.

Concerned with alignment issues and road harshness if I lower the car at all- have heard that the rears don't have camber adjustment so if lowering fucks that up I'll have to buy camber adjustment plates too and I just don't know if I wanna screw with that.

wilfredmerriweathr
Jul 11, 2005

Dr. Kayak Paddle posted:

Nice work! I have my first track day in mine tomorrow :hellyeah:

Volguus
Mar 3, 2009

wilfredmerriweathr posted:

Nice work! I have my first track day in mine tomorrow :hellyeah:

People using their race cars the way they're meant to. I have my Veloster N for 2 years now, nice car, still love it, have not seen a second of track. I wanna say "yet", but we all know the truth. I deserve a camry. Automatic.

Dr. Lunchables
Dec 27, 2012

IRL DEBUFFED KOBOLD

Volguus posted:

People using their race cars the way they're meant to. I have my Veloster N for 2 years now, nice car, still love it, have not seen a second of track. I wanna say "yet", but we all know the truth. I deserve a camry. Automatic.

Never say these things. If you have fun driving it, it’s serving it’s purpose.

Fellatio del Toro
Mar 21, 2009

everyone deserves a Veloster N

Dr. Lunchables
Dec 27, 2012

IRL DEBUFFED KOBOLD

I’m still waiting for someone to give one to me

nitsuga
Jan 1, 2007

Monkey Fracas posted:

Hey so the dampers are blown on all 4 corners of my '14 FoST and was wondering if anyone had any experience putting a set of Bilstein B12s (their B8 shocks with Eibach springs) on. Lowers the car a little (like an inch).

Kinda going back and forth between the B12s and just getting a set of B6s which would use the stock springs and thus keep stock ride height while improving the handling a little compared to a set of fresh OEM dampers.

Concerned with alignment issues and road harshness if I lower the car at all- have heard that the rears don't have camber adjustment so if lowering fucks that up I'll have to buy camber adjustment plates too and I just don't know if I wanna screw with that.

I’m no FoST expert, but I’d keep it stock. Hot hatches are low enough generally speaking.

Head Bee Guy
Jun 12, 2011

Retarded for Busting
Grimey Drawer
slam it till she scrapes

Head Bee Guy
Jun 12, 2011

Retarded for Busting
Grimey Drawer
speaking of, I had to replace a tein damper on my tsx wagon, and used the opportunity to raise all four corners back up 3/4 inch, and it feels like an suv now. I no longer fear speed bumps and pulling into parking lots.

Quite A Tool
Jul 4, 2004

The answer is... 42
Hot hatches can have a little bit of ground clearance for all I care.

Wagons? I expect half the front bumper to be ground to dust and the sills to look like someone took sandpaper to them.

Edit: This also applies to vans now that I’m in my late-30’s.

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

Grimey Drawer
Yeah lowering seems like more trouble than it's worth as the thing won't see any track/AutoX use and lives on our proud American Mad Mad blasted hellscape roads

Now I just gotta make sure I don't buy the wrong front dampers since they did a revision on that in the middle of the 2014 model year- the sprung perch on the dampers has a different design and thus different springs

If I bought new springs to match whichever ones I ordered it wouldn't matter but may as well re-use the stock front springs if there's nothing wrong with 'em

Rear dampers don't have this issue obviously

wilfredmerriweathr
Jul 11, 2005
First track day ever was a loving blast, and the only person that passed me was someone in a morizo.

Holy poo poo though ripping over the kerbs at 90 while rotating in an awd smear and braking down from 130+ at the end of a straight are quite the experience.

Head Bee Guy
Jun 12, 2011

Retarded for Busting
Grimey Drawer
With the recently acquired ground clearance, I took the TSX down a gravel road yesterday in the pouring rain while chanting “rally rally rally rally.” didn’t go over 40mph, and the slides were basically non existent, but at least i got a few rock chips in the paint as a souvenir

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

Monkey Fracas posted:

I have never heard anything positive about dropping a ST from anyone who cared about how it drives more than how it looks. They already have a rough enough ride, removing an inch of travel isn't ever going to help anything. Remember, any time you hit a bump hard enough to unsettle the car any potential handling advantage that lowered center of gravity might offer has gone entirely out the window. There's a reason some of the best handling road cars out there actually have a quite nice ride.

Dr. Lunchables posted:

Never say these things. If you have fun driving it, it’s serving it’s purpose.
100%, it's not a homologation race car or track day special that needs to be on a closed course for maximum enjoyment, it's a practical car tweaked to make people like us giggle while our passengers get sick on the way to the grocery store.

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

Grimey Drawer

wolrah posted:

I have never heard anything positive about dropping a ST from anyone who cared about how it drives more than how it looks. They already have a rough enough ride, removing an inch of travel isn't ever going to help anything. Remember, any time you hit a bump hard enough to unsettle the car any potential handling advantage that lowered center of gravity might offer has gone entirely out the window. There's a reason some of the best handling road cars out there actually have a quite nice ride.

Yeah there are a lot of people on the ST forums that do it just for looks for sure

Seems like a massive PITA just for visual appeal

Also found like one guy who swore up and down that putting the B6 Bilstein dampers on with no spring change the car raised the ride height (how?) and made the car handle like poo poo

Nobody else has had this experience that I can find

MetaJew
Apr 14, 2006
Gather round, one and all, and thrill to my turgid tales of underwhelming misadventure!

Monkey Fracas posted:

I put the Koni Special Active Struts on my Mazdaspeed3 and really liked it with stock springs.

Since the FoST and MS3 shares a lot of parts I would imagine Koni makes a similar strut for it.

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

Grimey Drawer

MetaJew posted:

I put the Koni Special Active Struts on my Mazdaspeed3 and really liked it with stock springs.

Since the FoST and MS3 shares a lot of parts I would imagine Koni makes a similar strut for it.

Looks like they have an adjustable set for the FoST, yeah- have to poke around and see if they're really meant to be used w stock height springs even though a few storefront description blurbs say they can.

Front set is a little cheaper than the Bilsteins

Dr. Lunchables
Dec 27, 2012

IRL DEBUFFED KOBOLD

Spooky car

Arcella
Dec 16, 2013

Shiny and Chrome
The 2024 GR Corolla circuit edition has a bright electric blue as an option. Looks loving nice but for like $50k out the door…this is not what I signed up for getting into hot hatches!!

gvibes
Jan 18, 2010

Leading us to the promised land (i.e., one tournament win in five years)

Arcella posted:

The 2024 GR Corolla circuit edition has a bright electric blue as an option. Looks loving nice but for like $50k out the door…this is not what I signed up for getting into hot hatches!!
I just finally got my name called off the waiting list, and it was a blue flame circuit edition. I decided to pass. I don't need a circuit. Probably should have pulled my name off of that list.

Wroughtirony
May 14, 2007

Maryland requires front plates, which is lame. When I bought my 2016 FiST, the rear end in a top hat dealership in North Carolina drilled into the bumper to put a dealer-badged front plate on it despite NC not requiring front plates. I made them take it off and plug the holes. Now I can't find a bracket that will fit- most of the stuff online is "everything but the STs" and I've seen a few people on forums that have been told "for the STs we just bolt it directly to the bumper" or "ST brackets are made to order and expensive." I don't want to spend the money for a sto-n-sho or put Terrible Robot through the hassle of having to take the bumper off to install it, and apparently they interfere with airflow to the intercooler. What's my best option here? I don't want to bolt the plate directly onto the bumper because it will scratch it all to hell, but I don't want to give the police an excuse to pull me over (other than my driving...)

I'm concerned that it will be difficult/impossible to find a bracket that fits the already drilled holes because god knows what they decided to bolt onto my poor car.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

Wroughtirony posted:

Maryland requires front plates, which is lame. When I bought my 2016 FiST, the rear end in a top hat dealership in North Carolina drilled into the bumper to put a dealer-badged front plate on it despite NC not requiring front plates. I made them take it off and plug the holes. Now I can't find a bracket that will fit- most of the stuff online is "everything but the STs" and I've seen a few people on forums that have been told "for the STs we just bolt it directly to the bumper" or "ST brackets are made to order and expensive." I don't want to spend the money for a sto-n-sho or put Terrible Robot through the hassle of having to take the bumper off to install it, and apparently they interfere with airflow to the intercooler. What's my best option here? I don't want to bolt the plate directly onto the bumper because it will scratch it all to hell, but I don't want to give the police an excuse to pull me over (other than my driving...)

I'm concerned that it will be difficult/impossible to find a bracket that fits the already drilled holes because god knows what they decided to bolt onto my poor car.

can you post a pic? I guess I must have the factory front plate holder because I’m having difficulty visualizing what you’re describing

TheBacon
Feb 8, 2012

#essereFerrari

Use a tow hook mount?

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

TheBacon posted:

Use a tow hook mount?

100% Dundee
Oct 11, 2004

Wroughtirony posted:

As a fellow DMV FoST owner, I too am required to have a front plate in Virginia. Originally I had one of the custom ones that you can order online, I believe it was from "Craigs Custom Brackets", and that worked quite well for a few years. Then one fateful evening it was ripped off/fell off during my commute home from work due to some combination of bad weather and DC streets. Oddly enough it did not do any damage at all whatsoever to the bumper/vehicle, but it did make a wild noise when it happened and then tumbled underneath the car.

Ever since then I've just had my new, replacement license plate zip tied to my front grill. I put some of that stick on rubber padding on the back side around the edges so that it has a little grip and doesn't shift around or scratch anything up. This has not fallen off. So I guess what I am saying is, zip tie it to your front grill.

If you're actually worried about it blocking 1% of the airflow to the intercooler as you mentioned, which I can assure you is entirely negligible and that you are never going to be in a scenario where you'd actually be able to measure or notice the difference, then you can just snip off the 4 zipties and voila you're good to go for your weekend of road course enduro racing or your back to back dyno pulls, etc.

Edit: If you need something to fill up the existing holes as you mentioned, there's Bumperplugs.com which come pre-painted and matched to the color of your vehicle(the ones I ordered matched my FoST Magnetic Metallic perfectly). Or you could just get a tube of touch up paint and some plastic trim panel clips/plugs and whip it up yourself if you were so inclined for half the price.

100% Dundee fucked around with this message at 09:54 on Nov 7, 2023

Dr. Lunchables
Dec 27, 2012

IRL DEBUFFED KOBOLD

I put those fangs over the airflow part of my grill and noticed absolutely no change to coolant temps or charge air temps.

Wroughtirony
May 14, 2007

100% Dundee posted:

Ever since then I've just had my new, replacement license plate zip tied to my front grill. I put some of that stick on rubber padding on the back side around the edges so that it has a little grip and doesn't shift around or scratch anything up. This has not fallen off. So I guess what I am saying is, zip tie it to your front grill.

If you're actually worried about it blocking 1% of the airflow to the intercooler as you mentioned, which I can assure you is entirely negligible and that you are never going to be in a scenario where you'd actually be able to measure or notice the difference, then you can just snip off the 4 zipties and voila you're good to go for your weekend of road course enduro racing or your back to back dyno pulls, etc.

Edit: If you need something to fill up the existing holes as you mentioned, there's Bumperplugs.com which come pre-painted and matched to the color of your vehicle(the ones I ordered matched my FoST Magnetic Metallic perfectly). Or you could just get a tube of touch up paint and some plastic trim panel clips/plugs and whip it up yourself if you were so inclined for half the price.

Thanks! Yeah, I think zip ties are going to be plan A, at least for now. I'll snap a pic of what I'm working with later today.

The intercooler issue was more with the sto-n-sho than covering the grille with the plate. Not totally sure exactly how, but Terrible Robot said the mounting plate that goes behind the bumper would block airflow and it's not easily removable.

Thanks for the tip on the bumper plugs. Right now what's in there is the black plastic plugs the dealership put in when I made them take off their ridiculous vanity plate. The FiST is my daily and gets knocked around quite a bit, so I'm being a little overly precious about a minor blemish, but god damnit, he's my baby and they put holes in him without asking.

While I've got y'all here, can anyone link me an OEM key fob that will definitely work with my car? (it's a 2016) The part number is unclear and googling the numbers I found on the fob got me nothing. I've found a few listings that say they'll work with any Fiesta, and a few that look identical that are marked "definitely not for the ST/manual" and zero that say "will definitely work with the ST"

I'll probably just suck it up and go to the dealership so that if/when they order the wrong fob and bracket returning them is their problem, not mine.

Dr. Lunchables
Dec 27, 2012

IRL DEBUFFED KOBOLD

Wroughtirony posted:

Thanks! Yeah, I think zip ties are going to be plan A, at least for now. I'll snap a pic of what I'm working with later today.

The intercooler issue was more with the sto-n-sho than covering the grille with the plate. Not totally sure exactly how, but Terrible Robot said the mounting plate that goes behind the bumper would block airflow and it's not easily removable.

Thanks for the tip on the bumper plugs. Right now what's in there is the black plastic plugs the dealership put in when I made them take off their ridiculous vanity plate. The FiST is my daily and gets knocked around quite a bit, so I'm being a little overly precious about a minor blemish, but god damnit, he's my baby and they put holes in him without asking.

While I've got y'all here, can anyone link me an OEM key fob that will definitely work with my car? (it's a 2016) The part number is unclear and googling the numbers I found on the fob got me nothing. I've found a few listings that say they'll work with any Fiesta, and a few that look identical that are marked "definitely not for the ST/manual" and zero that say "will definitely work with the ST"

I'll probably just suck it up and go to the dealership so that if/when they order the wrong fob and bracket returning them is their problem, not mine.

From the following forum (it’s a very good forum with tons of info) https://www.fiestastforum.com/threads/key-fob-replacement-411-thread.23669/

This is the fob they used successfully https://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-OEM-20...872.m2749.l2649

And this seems to be (not a guarantee) the part number 164-R8048

Wroughtirony
May 14, 2007

Dr. Lunchables posted:

From the following forum (it’s a very good forum with tons of info) https://www.fiestastforum.com/threads/key-fob-replacement-411-thread.23669/

This is the fob they used successfully https://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-OEM-20...872.m2749.l2649

And this seems to be (not a guarantee) the part number 164-R8048

Thank you so much! stick on foam, zip ties, that fob and touch up paint should set me straight and save me a lot of money over going to the dealership. I'll still have to take it in to get it programmed, but it beats paying twice as much for the part.

I'll look around that forum some more- any toxic politics/sexism I need to be prepared for? It seems like every car forum except this one is full of that kind of thing...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. Lunchables
Dec 27, 2012

IRL DEBUFFED KOBOLD

Folks tend to talk down stuff like that, even when discussing union shutdowns. I haven’t seen any of it, from my year or so on there. It’s also slowed down a ton since there aren’t ever gonna be new FiSTs though.