Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream
This poo poo is the same poo poo as the satanic panic QAnon magic or magic crystal healing bullshit. It's all fake, people are desperate and longing for something greater and they're filling in that whole with anything that fits.

The only real ghost or goblin is the jackalope

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pharmaskittle
Dec 17, 2007

arf arf put the money in the fuckin bag

the only things that are real are the ones jayz listed on monster

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

Pharmaskittle posted:

lmao

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

sorry folks, no zombies WITH consciences

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008

Pharmaskittle posted:

Loch Ness

Yestermoment
Jul 27, 2007

The world is filled with inexplicable things and the attempt to immediately assign pre-defined identities (materialistic, supernatural, or otherwise) to them is often a fool's errand. So I welcome a story of Psychic Sasquatch, Malevolent Gnomes, and Hand Djobb.

Cached Money
Apr 11, 2010

WoodrowSkillson posted:

to answer seriously im being glib while posting. my joke is aimed the people who will take you hostage at a party and tell you about how their dead dad haunts them and they know because they heard a noise and the clock was the same as his birthday!

I've had sleep paralysis, I've literally seen an entity in my room threatening me while my chest feels likes its being caved in and my entire body strains to move, and i've terrified a girlfriend by screaming at the top of my lungs when the paralysis ended. If you don't know what that is, its entirely sensible and understandable to attribute it to ghosts, demons, aliens, whatever. im not making fun of those people.

religion is massive social force tied into culture, politics, governments, ethnicity, and a million other things. reddit atheists are the ones that will denigrate entire cultures or whatever, often dipping deep into islamophobia and outright racism. one cannot positively prove there is no god. Reddit atheists are the ones that claim otherwise. Will stated the position of the vast majority of atheists; that there is no reason to believe the currently proposed deities, but maybe something will change. For example if an amputee gets healed i'll line right up for whichever deity did that.

ghosts on the other hand are folk tales, often directly contradicting the popular religions of any area. there is nothing in Christianity that allows for souls to just not go to heaven or hell. there is no good reason to have such a belief, especially in an age where every single person has a camera on them at all times, along with a plethora of home security systems. yet all of the supposed documentations of hauntings are either blatant fakes, easily explained phenomena, or something unknown but still more plausibly explained by any earthly means than "an incorporeal entity that confirms the existence of a soul made a drawer open"

didn't read

Pentecoastal Elites
Feb 27, 2007

the best explanation for this stuff, imo, is bad memory transcription due to stress or meds or indigestion or whatever. we know so little about how the brain encodes memory, it seems reasonable to think that every once in a while the memory-saving process takes dreams, subconscious thoughts, etc. and uses them to merge with or overwrites memories of real conscious experiences. For the people that have them, they're as real as any other memory of any other conscious lived experience because they are actually identical. Also explains why a lot of these things aren't "remembered" until hours/days/years after the "event".

one of the more fun ones I've heard though is the idea that one of the many-worlds interpretations of quantum weirdness is literally true, and that there's some sort of materially real and totally mundane entanglement across world-lines that account for observable physical phenomena like the double-slit experiment. your subjective experience isn't some sort of explicit absolute but instead a local expression of some number of versions of you that follows this particular world line of the physical matter that makes up your body and brain, but is also simultaneously entangled with however many other versions of your subjective experience along other world lines. so maybe like the double-slit experiment there are times where other versions of you have very excited brain states (saw something scary) and your subjective version of you doesn't (tired, drunk, whatever) and the entanglement effects are enough that part of the experience bleeds through. Your brain is getting real physical input from an actual material place that you otherwise wouldn't have access to, and something like this would be conceivably testable and falsifiable, which is neat.

not saying I believe either of these because my life is not plagued with ghosts so I have no need whatsoever to stake out a sincerely held position on any of this bullshit, it's just fun to think about.

Seams
Feb 3, 2005

ROCK HARD

Dr.Radical
Apr 3, 2011
My main problem with ghost stories outside of ghosts not being real is that they’re usually pretty boring

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

I could not possibly care any less about ghosts/aliens/cryptids/etc

Please just drop the Spanish Civil War series already, it was canned and ready for Matt’s paternity leave anyway and I miss my large midwestern boy

Mr. Grinch
Jul 2, 2007

They say that the Grinch's small heart grew three sizes that day.
yea can we get back to non fiction already plz

Pulcinella
Feb 15, 2019

Pentecoastal Elites posted:

the best explanation for this stuff, imo, is bad memory transcription due to stress or meds or indigestion or whatever. we know so little about how the brain encodes memory, it seems reasonable to think that every once in a while the memory-saving process takes dreams, subconscious thoughts, etc. and uses them to merge with or overwrites memories of real conscious experiences. For the people that have them, they're as real as any other memory of any other conscious lived experience because they are actually identical. Also explains why a lot of these things aren't "remembered" until hours/days/years after the "event".

one of the more fun ones I've heard though is the idea that one of the many-worlds interpretations of quantum weirdness is literally true, and that there's some sort of materially real and totally mundane entanglement across world-lines that account for observable physical phenomena like the double-slit experiment. your subjective experience isn't some sort of explicit absolute but instead a local expression of some number of versions of you that follows this particular world line of the physical matter that makes up your body and brain, but is also simultaneously entangled with however many other versions of your subjective experience along other world lines. so maybe like the double-slit experiment there are times where other versions of you have very excited brain states (saw something scary) and your subjective version of you doesn't (tired, drunk, whatever) and the entanglement effects are enough that part of the experience bleeds through. Your brain is getting real physical input from an actual material place that you otherwise wouldn't have access to, and something like this would be conceivably testable and falsifiable, which is neat.

not saying I believe either of these because my life is not plagued with ghosts so I have no need whatsoever to stake out a sincerely held position on any of this bullshit, it's just fun to think about.

Personally, I think the "Many-worlds" interpretation is some "just-so" stuff and doesn't actually provide any explanation or insight, but even if it is real, the vast majority of these alternate universes would be indistinguishable from ours. poo poo like a single electron somewhere not absorbing a photon when in our universe it did. Things you would never notice. Some real Library of Babel stuff.

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

I think maybe the world and the universe are bigger and more strange than we can comprehend and we don't need to have a perfectly explainable watertight explanation for every weird little wrinkle or phenomena we experience

Seams
Feb 3, 2005

ROCK HARD
https://twitter.com/ettingermentum/status/1721731538386075875?s=46&t=AwMtDeZF_tX5DmOd53fE0g

Ramrod Hotshot
May 30, 2003

i say swears online posted:

https://podcasts.apple.com/us/podcast/the-art-bell-archive/id1679032756

anything from 90s art bell is amazing, i'm glad someone is keeping up with archiving old shows

highly recommended if anyone here never listened to coast2coast before it went to poo poo

Is there a list of bangers to start with or are they all good

Ramrod Hotshot
May 30, 2003

Space Camp fuckup posted:

Otherworld is a pretty good podcast if you can avoid being an epic goon about it

Breadallelogram
Oct 9, 2012

Ramrod Hotshot posted:

"open lines" episodes tend to be pretty fun, because the weirdos who call in from around the country are usually more varied and interesting than Art's invited guests

the halloween "ghost to ghost" episodes are all great too

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

*Gestures at 60 years of Lions history*

Mel's Hole was an all time storyline

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

Ramrod Hotshot posted:

I like new world order clinton crime family stuff more than ghosts. anything involving foreign policy is gold

Mr. Grinch
Jul 2, 2007

They say that the Grinch's small heart grew three sizes that day.
is anyone else randomly not getting notifications about new episodes being posted?

Chakan
Mar 30, 2011
Yeah, I didn't get an email about this last episode from Patreon. Who knows why! It was a good episode though.

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

Ramrod Hotshot posted:

https://archive.org/details/the-ultimate-art-bell-collection_202201

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

Goddamn that sketch is bad. "Untisemety"? gently caress, man.

net work error
Feb 26, 2011

I got an email that they're releasing hell of presidents. It's not in my rss feed though

metachronos
Sep 11, 2001

When I roll, baby I roll DEEP
That skit kinda made me laugh when I looked at it as "double-negative" satire if that's a thing.

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

I really want to post goatse. Instead I only have these🍄.

net work error posted:

I got an email that they're releasing hell of presidents. It's not in my rss feed though

Yeah, it hasn't made it into the RSS, but you can listen on Patreon. Unsurprisingly, it whips.

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

What happened to Matt and when is he coming back he is my Chapo boyfriend 😭

Civilized Fishbot
Apr 3, 2011

Dang It Bhabhi! posted:

A totally normal sudden medical emergency which happens to normal people.

Give up your inquiries, which are completely useless,

Famethrowa
Oct 5, 2012

Civilized Fishbot posted:

yeah thats a normal response

Civilized Fishbot
Apr 3, 2011

Famethrowa posted:

yeah thats a normal response

It's just what Will says in the "episode" where they announce what happened.

Seams
Feb 3, 2005

ROCK HARD

vaxxed????

winddancerman
Aug 26, 2022

Kenning posted:

Yeah, it hasn't made it into the RSS, but you can listen on Patreon. Unsurprisingly, it whips.

One of my favorite projects of theirs. So glad to get it on patreon

JosefStalinator
Oct 9, 2007

Come Tbilisi if you want to live.

Grimey Drawer
Hell of Presidents is extremely good, and I've used it a bit in class and as recs for students wanting a funnier/more entertaining look at Presidential history.

Cached Money
Apr 11, 2010

Dang It Bhabhi! posted:

No one knows. My guess is he had a stroke or an aneurysm.

Space Camp fuckup
Aug 2, 2003

Cached Money posted:

No one knows. My guess is he had a stroke or an aneurysm.

Yeah, just reading between the lines what happened to Matt sounds really similar to what happened to my buddy when he had a brain AVM that ruptured.

Famethrowa
Oct 5, 2012

It's just what Will says in the "episode" where they announce what happened.

Ah I've been revealed as not caught up. Apologies :tipshat:

net work error
Feb 26, 2011

JosefStalinator posted:

Hell of Presidents is extremely good, and I've used it a bit in class and as recs for students wanting a funnier/more entertaining look at Presidential history.

Doing good work OP g-d bless

Omnicarus
Jan 16, 2006

Dang It Bhabhi! posted:

He followed Lenin too close to the sun

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nick Soapdish
Apr 27, 2008

https://twitter.com/roddreher/status/1722639930860417425?t=NsNrRxE_UOJvShdlH25bSg&s=19

Lol