Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hobojim
Oct 31, 2011

Irony Be My Shield posted:

Looking it up... lol never actually noticed the RGB converter next to the statue. My solution was:
- get a connector out of 3-4 using the boxes
- use that connector to connect the green light from 3-6 to the accumulator in 3-5
- use the connector again to connect the 3-5 accumulator to the high-up accumulator in 3-2 (this was a pretty difficult angle and probably should've made me realize this wasn't the intended solution)
- use the connector again to bridge the 3-2 accumulator to the Pandora statue

I've found a few rooms where you can steal equipment, surprised it hasn't been relevant yet. I'm making a note of them in case the gold doors need it though.

This is amazing lol

For mines I also remembered them being pretty hard to navigate before I replayed it, but was surprised at how few times they were ever something difficult to avoid on replay. You can almost always stagger multiple mines by blocking their paths with objects or stalling them with jammers to take almost all of the movement difficulty out of puzzles, in almost every case. Just takes some planning or clever jammer placement. Maybe they changed it in a patch or maybe I just hadn't thought it through that well the first time around.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

the follow-the-sprite stars kinda suck though, they barely do anything interesting with those

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.

repiv posted:

the one thing that has tripped me up is it being difficult to see some of the laser repeaters placed outside of the puzzles, mainly because im having to use DLSS Balanced to keep lumen under control

Global Illumination setting was the killer for me, and I'm surprised the game defaulted to having it on High. Moving it to Medium gave me like 20 FPS lol

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

goferchan posted:

Global Illumination setting was the killer for me, and I'm surprised the game defaulted to having it on High. Moving it to Medium gave me like 20 FPS lol

Holy poo poo thank you for this

TheOneAndOnlyT
Dec 18, 2005

Well well, mister fancy-pants, I hope you're wearing your matching sweater today, or you'll be cut down like the ugly tree you are.

repiv posted:

it feels like they've addressed basically all of my complaints with the first game so far, especially surrounding the star puzzles
Ehh, I feel like the star puzzles are both a step forward and a step back. It's good that the shrines exist that you know the star is there and what type of puzzle it is, but IMO they kind of dumbed them all down.

Prometheus puzzles are fine I guess. TTP1 had a few stars as rewards for exploring, so whatever, and it's good that the shrine gives you a general direction. Bonus points for the chase music being a banger.
Sphinx puzzles are piss-easy and basically boil down to "can you read a map and/or copy a pattern". Barely a puzzle at all.
Pandora puzzles are probably the most disappointing to me, since they're less "can you find cool ways to pass beams/components between puzzles" and more "tee hee can you find the connector we cleverly hid in the environment?" They feel much more like a silly pixel hunt than an actual "puzzle", which is a shame because cross-puzzle stars were my favorites in TTP1.

In fairness, I'm probably just sad because realizing you could pass beams/components between puzzles in TTP1 was probably one of the biggest "Holy poo poo, you can DO THAT?! I am a GENIUS!" moments I've ever gotten from a puzzle game, and it's impossible to replicate because now I already know the trick. :(

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

yeah the stars are easier, i've been solving all of them as i go along since they're usually not much trouble, but that's preferable to the first one where many of them were just infuriatingly obtuse or fiddly

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Setting "Global Illumination" to High or Ultra turns on Unreal Engine 5's Lumen lighting system. It's very heavy on performance, but it delivers a big upgrade to the visuals in indirectly-lit areas. In short, it affects the quality of bounce lighting and shading in areas blocked off by the sun. The developers probably default you to "high" because it's pretty key to their intended graphical presentation. I'd recommend trying to turn down other settings or using FSR/DLSS first, but if you're on older midrange hardware, then turning the GI to medium may be your only option.

Here are a few comparisons between Ultra and Medium (High tends to look a lot like Ultra but with less ambient occlusion and more visual noise):

Ultra - Medium

sinky
Feb 22, 2011

Slippery Tilde
I love everything about Talos 2 so far except the tetris bridges, which are negative fun.

Snake Maze
Jul 13, 2016

3.85 Billion years ago
  • Having seen the explosion on the moon, the Devil comes to Venus
Yeah, I'm still early on in 2 but overall I preferred 1's stars. Figuring out where I could smuggle components outside of a puzzle and where I could use them was more interesting than the clearly signposted ones in 2, at least so far.

1 did have some dumb stuff (mainly thinking of that one star that required you to scan a qr code yourself) but gehenna was great throughout, so I'd have preferred more like that.

Also the tetris bridges are lame, bring back the tetronimo grids :colbert:

Still love the game though, these are very minor complaints and the actual puzzles are great.

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

Here are a few comparisons between Ultra and Medium (High tends to look a lot like Ultra but with less ambient occlusion and more visual noise):

Hey fair enough, that's pretty drastic

Thoom
Jan 12, 2004

LUIGI SMASH!
I don't remember if the "keep connections" option when moving lasers was in 1, but either way it's brilliant. Also, this Kiwi robot inviting me into her shadowy cabal seems very trustworthy and I will do whatever she asks without questioning anything, because I have been assigned the curiosity and optimism traits.

My only complaint so far is that I'm suffering from eyestrain of the kind that I associate with Linux font rendering 15 years ago, or the first 10 hours of Bloodborne. I tried bumping up the FOV and turning off motion blur, and I'm getting 90+ FPS with most settings cranked up, so I'm not sure what's going on. Hopefully I'll get used to it.

On the subject of the recorder puzzles from 1, for anyone that did enjoy them, The Entropy Centre is basically nothing but backwards recorder puzzles wrapped in a cheeky "dollar store Portal" aesthetic.

malnourish
Jun 16, 2023
Like everyone else, I'm loving TP2.

I haven't wanted to look at others' spoilers for fear of story/mechanic spoilers, but I'm on Zone 3 and have found multiple ways to liberate puzzle elements and even completely forego a puzzle entirely.

Example: You can jump directly into 3-4's goal by climbing on the overlooking rocks.

I absolutely love this stuff and I hope there is more to come.
I think my only disappointment with the game is that, so far at least, all the secrets seem to be pretty spelled out. I'm not expecting Void Stranger, but I would have loved some super hidden stuff.

WhiteHowler
Apr 3, 2001

I'M HUGE!
I don't know how many of you have watched Talos Principle (1) speedruns, but they're incredible.

They turn a cerebral puzzle game into a high-speed parkour game. The majority of the puzzles don't actually get solved, or at least get partially bypassed. It's mostly about finding places to glitch or jump over walls and grab the pieces without engaging with mechanics.

I'm looking forward to the speedrunning scene for TPP2, but I know the developers are well aware of TPP1 techniques, so I wonder if they fortified TPP2 a bit against this. I've noticed that there are at least more overhangs blocking key places.

Hobojim
Oct 31, 2011

Thoom posted:

I don't remember if the "keep connections" option when moving lasers was in 1, but either way it's brilliant.

It was!

I do miss stars from Talos 1. Some of them were pretty insane but I liked that it at least told you which area they were in, and it made some of the stuff that you could do but weren't sure if it was intended really mind-blowing for me when it led to a star. Nothing like that so far in Talos 2 but I'm looking forward to seeing what the golden doors are.

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

WhiteHowler posted:

I don't know how many of you have watched Talos Principle (1) speedruns, but they're incredible.

They turn a cerebral puzzle game into a high-speed parkour game. The majority of the puzzles don't actually get solved, or at least get partially bypassed. It's mostly about finding places to glitch or jump over walls and grab the pieces without engaging with mechanics.

I'm looking forward to the speedrunning scene for TPP2, but I know the developers are well aware of TPP1 techniques, so I wonder if they fortified TPP2 a bit against this. I've noticed that there are at least more overhangs blocking key places.

the demo had a funny break-everything exploit where toggling in and out of photo mode allowed you to jump in mid air and gain unlimited height, but i assume that's fixed in 1.0

hopefully it is or that's all you'll ever see in speedruns and it's kinda boring when you break a game that hard

Tunzie
Aug 9, 2008
That kind of speedrunning disappointed me when the demo for Talos 2 was out, actually; all the ones I found were half a minute long glitching into a tower area to trigger the end-demo function, and I was hoping for a 100% run where they solved the puzzles fast.

Like you say, it was kinda boring to see.

malnourish
Jun 16, 2023
Yeah I would be much more interested in a high-% goal run than an any-% for this game

QuantaStarFire
May 18, 2006

Grimey Drawer
It's still in the game, and it makes for a very boring run.

edit: There's already plans in the works for different any% categories because of the photo mode glitch. There's also some kind of physics glitch that's getting its own separate category.

QuantaStarFire fucked around with this message at 04:21 on Nov 7, 2023

Simiain
Dec 13, 2005

"BAM! The ole fork in the eye!!"
Just started TP2, and (very early game spoilers) teared up a little at the wonderful cat memorial, I assume they are real cats that belonged to friends and family of the developers, but in any case the messages were so heartfelt I had to stop and read every one; a wonderful, sad little diversion .

WhiteHowler
Apr 3, 2001

I'M HUGE!

Tunzie posted:

That kind of speedrunning disappointed me when the demo for Talos 2 was out, actually; all the ones I found were half a minute long glitching into a tower area to trigger the end-demo function, and I was hoping for a 100% run where they solved the puzzles fast.

Like you say, it was kinda boring to see.

Any% with glitches is like a minute long and pointless. Try watching all-sigils runs. They're amazing.

Here's a great one from SGDQ 2020:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VaeJ0IKHGFU

TheOneAndOnlyT
Dec 18, 2005

Well well, mister fancy-pants, I hope you're wearing your matching sweater today, or you'll be cut down like the ugly tree you are.
Okay, I sort of take back what I said about the Pandora stars. S2's and especially S3's were quite clever and reminded me of the better star puzzles from TTP1.

Sphinx stars still suck rear end though.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

Yeah I'm kindof disappointed by the Sphinx and Prometheus stars, they mostly just involve backtracking. Would rather they did another concept like the Pandora statue, maybe involving taking equipment out of rooms or something.

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather
I just finished the game at about 31 hours and it was a great journey. Somehow I don't feel like rounding down the stars I'm missing though. My ending already feels complete.
Phenomenal setting, music and characters and some of those gold puzzles had me genuinely stumped for a while.

Contentato
Jan 19, 2023

yay [short tooting]
Hey yall - wanted to share that my game Solquence was released today. I ended up getting plenty of good feedback with playtesters, mostly all positive, and settled on the build that's up online now. If you'd like to check it out, here's the itch page - https://contentatogames.itch.io/solquence - links to Google Play and App Store are there. And I posted a new trailer to show off some of the core features: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0seZKtXPURg - I'm looking forward to people playing it!

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

time for pain, even the first gold puzzle looks rough

y_y
Oct 25, 2011

conversationalist

repiv posted:

time for pain, even the first gold puzzle looks rough

Yeah, I just looked at the first gold puzzle and didn’t really get anywhere. I should probably get the stars first…

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

OH NO

(Talos Principle 2 ending)

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

great, if you drown during the utopia/dystopia marathon near the end then you have to restart the whole sequence from the beginning :geno:

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011

Hwurmp posted:

OH NO

Makes sense. She's pretty much in hell.

repiv posted:

great, if you drown during the utopia/dystopia marathon near the end then you have to restart the whole sequence from the beginning :geno:

Yeah, I found that out too. It's a bad decision to be able to drown there, but I see why that happens from a technical point of view.
But yeah, that otherwise quite cool sequence got a bit ruined by that.

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

i think i actually found a sequence break there by running through the water and making it across during the grace period, at least i assume you're not supposed to do that

Superrodan
Nov 27, 2007
I know everyone is super busy with TP2, but I released a puzzle game today inspired by Obra Dinn and Her Story. It's free to play in-browser, though don't think of it as a flash style game (it takes between 7 and 8 hours to beat minimum.) Please, feel free to check it out and give it a go. If you know anyone outside of SA who is looking for more puzzle recommendations, feel free to share it wherever. I'm just trying to get it out there. Thanks!

https://jjohnstongames.itch.io/the-roottrees-are-dead

Montague Tigg
Mar 23, 2008

Previously, on "Ronnie Likes Data":

Contentato posted:

Hey yall - wanted to share that my game Solquence was released today. I ended up getting plenty of good feedback with playtesters, mostly all positive, and settled on the build that's up online now. If you'd like to check it out, here's the itch page - https://contentatogames.itch.io/solquence - links to Google Play and App Store are there. And I posted a new trailer to show off some of the core features: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0seZKtXPURg - I'm looking forward to people playing it!

Superrodan posted:

I know everyone is super busy with TP2, but I released a puzzle game today inspired by Obra Dinn and Her Story. It's free to play in-browser, though don't think of it as a flash style game (it takes between 7 and 8 hours to beat minimum.) Please, feel free to check it out and give it a go. If you know anyone outside of SA who is looking for more puzzle recommendations, feel free to share it wherever. I'm just trying to get it out there. Thanks!

while I love TP1 and will probably play TP2 soonish, thank you both for something new and different

QuantaStarFire
May 18, 2006

Grimey Drawer

repiv posted:

They changed it literally yesterday. It used to save your progress, but was bugged out in such a way that you couldn't progress after a reset.

Mr.Radar
Nov 5, 2005

You guys aren't going to believe this, but that guy is our games teacher.
Just finished Talos 2 (at least to get what I assume is the good/true ending) and wow what a game! The story, graphics, puzzles, and music were all just about perfect. 10/10 must-play GOTY. I didn't bother to get all the stars but I otherwise solved all the puzzles. For the most part the puzzles felt pretty easy and straightforward (though certainly not all of them). I didn't get the achievement for spending 20 minutes solving a puzzle until one of the extra-hard gold door puzzles that unlock near the end of the game. Do not miss the Gehenna Memorial text adventures that unlock after you return to the city (according to the Steam achievements only 7% of people have), the one that was a follow-up to the Atlantis story in Road to Gehenna actually got me more emotional than the main game story.

Contentato
Jan 19, 2023

yay [short tooting]

Montague Tigg posted:

while I love TP1 and will probably play TP2 soonish, thank you both for something new and different

I love being called new and different.

Probably gonna check out TP at some point soon myself, its been on my radar :banjo:

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011

Superrodan posted:

I played it a few weeks ago and was really pleasantly surprised and can filly recommend playing this.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Mr.Radar posted:

Just finished Talos 2 (at least to get what I assume is the good/true ending) and wow what a game! The story, graphics, puzzles, and music were all just about perfect. 10/10 must-play GOTY. I didn't bother to get all the stars but I otherwise solved all the puzzles. For the most part the puzzles felt pretty easy and straightforward (though certainly not all of them). I didn't get the achievement for spending 20 minutes solving a puzzle until one of the extra-hard gold door puzzles that unlock near the end of the game. Do not miss the Gehenna Memorial text adventures that unlock after you return to the city (according to the Steam achievements only 7% of people have), the one that was a follow-up to the Atlantis story in Road to Gehenna actually got me more emotional than the main game story.

I just finished as well. None of the puzzles took me 20 minutes but I think I stumbled onto the right path for some of them by luck while still thinking things through. Easier than I expected, but that's because I was remembering the hellacious puzzles from Gehenna. And not easy in a bad way, everything was nicely chewy without feeling out of reach and still requiring some thought, with very few "you made one wrong move now have to reset the whole thing" parts. I often forget how much I love puzzle games until I actually pick one up, so this was a nice treat.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Hwurmp posted:

OH NO

I have very rarely cursed at an empty room as much as when I found out there were no checkpoints in there.

Vookatos
May 2, 2013
Beaten the first post-tutorial hub of TP2 and God it's nice to be back. Puzzles are so much better now that they don't dripfeed you really simple things every 2 worlds while focusing on the mines.

I hope there's some kind of customization to your character, as it's a bit weird that others got their names and paintjobs and here you are, an effectively nameless boring-looking toddler.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Your Brain on Hugs
Aug 20, 2006
I never finished TP1, I think I got distracted by another game halfway through, but I'll have to go back to it sometime. TP2 is awesome so far, only unlocked the second hub. My brain is just not super good at puzzles though, I already got stumped on number 8 of the first hub. I just hit a wall and my brain won't give me anything else to try. Hopefully I'll get better as I go along. Absolutely love the environments though, just exploring is a lot of fun.