Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Malcolm Excellent
May 20, 2007

Buglord

Jack B Nimble posted:

12 hours in and Alake Wake 2 is still really just a misfire for me. If I put it on Easy, I'm left playing what is basically a visual novel, and it's uncompelling and loses all tension. If I put it on Normal I die in the very next fight against a couple random enemies. It should be a GOTY, and everything about the game is "right", the Remedy team hasn't lost a beat, this is exactly the game they make, and the game I want. But I just can't seem to play it?

Not to say it's a skill issue, but it sounds like a skill issue if you're getting pwned on normal. The game gives you so many resources to battle the dudes. Are you dying as Alan or Saga? With Alan just drop a flair and run away then make a safe space and heal.

With Saga, I could see getting beat pretty easy if you're using the crossbow, poo poo sucks without upgrading. Focus on headshots and really utilizing flairs, propane tanks, and healing stuff.

USE YOUR MEDKITS AND BAND-AIDS

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

:coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot:
ok, what if 100 alan wakes dropped from a battlebus......

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
At this point I've played through The entire Oceanview Hotel on Story and that's been so trivial that I've got stacks and stacks of supplies I could use to bang my head against Normal for a while, but I also don't think I'm any better at playing the game. And now I'm a bit burnt of out this unappealing version of the game, so I need a break regardless.

As for whatever I, and only I, find so difficult about the game, since Story combat isn't actually demanding I had plenty mental bandwidth to "watch myself play", and the main issues seem to be two things: first that I lose track of enemies that teleport and then get hit in melee by people that are near me, and secondly have a real hard time getting clean, efficient flashlight use. A lot of my uses of the burn beam aren't successful, and that's after hours of practice on a difficulty setting with no real challenge in combat. Oh, and a secondary issue is that, based on how many enemies I blew through in Oceanview Hotel, I think there just may be way too much combat, but that's a separate issue.

It's frustrating; I looked up Alan Wake 1 gameplay just see if it matches my memories and yes, the enemies are much slower, and the loop of burning away the shadows and then shooting them is visually cleaner.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

Revitalized posted:

Should I play Quantum Break?

I started like 30 minutes of it and then decided I didn't like the Xbox and ended up selling it before I could play any further. I see it's on Steam now.

I always vote yes, I think it's a fun precursor to Control in terms of the gameplay design. I ended up mostly ignoring all the TV show stuff, they went too far with the whole live action thing there for my taste, but you can have a good time in the game without it.

BOAT SHOWBOAT
Oct 11, 2007

who do you carry the torch for, my young man?
The game is just not particularly hard on normal if goons just calmed down a little and were more willing to meet the game on its own terms and systems

If you've played literally any action adventure/third person shooter or survival horror in the last decade it's less mechanically complex than most games other than that you have to use a dodge more frequently

I've beaten Saga's three bosses and am near the end of Alan's story as well (in the cinema) and I've died once against Saga's third boss and a couple times as Alan when getting jumped by enemies early on in learning how his combat works and once running from a "dark presence QTE". I haven't otherwise died.

It's just not a frustrating or hard game in combat, the game is awash with resources and rarely makes you fight more than like three enemies at once. My conclusion is that, goons find the game scary based on some early fights and the first boss and are considering that a proxy for "difficulty" cos the threat of death feels more impactful than like restarting at a checkpoint in Gears of War or Uncharted or whatever

I agree the combat is "aggressive" but it's not really that hard to get used to

Jack B Nimble posted:

the main issues seem to be two things: first that I lose track of enemies that teleport and then get hit in melee by people that are near me, and secondly have a real hard time getting clean, efficient flashlight use. A lot of my uses of the burn beam aren't successful, and that's after hours of practice on a difficulty setting with no real challenge in combat.

It's frustrating; I looked up Alan Wake 1 gameplay just see if it matches my memories and yes, the enemies are much slower, and the loop of burning away the shadows and then shooting them is visually cleaner.
Yeah the enemies dash and teleport but there's only a few at once usually, so you can just... Find them again and dodge id they're near you?

As for the flashlight thing, what platform are you playing on? I'm on a PS5 and wondering if people having a hard time of the game are that it's really not optimised for mouse+kb or something? On console when you hold the flashlight it pretty much auto aims onto the enemy

The enemies in Wake 1 are less individually dangerous but the game was more willing to throw large numbers of them at you, also wake 1 was way more stingy with resources other than maybe the last third. If you get into the exploration in Wake 2 you will get so many upgrades, charms and resources it's almost ridiculous how much you can turn Saga into a one woman army

BOAT SHOWBOAT fucked around with this message at 00:41 on Nov 7, 2023

DaysBefore
Jan 24, 2019

Lmfao

Al! posted:

i didnt know his first name is Warlin. huh what does a W upside down look like

Ooooooh. I should really play that

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

there is a limited amount of media in the world featuring lance reddick and i suggest you consume all of it

Lakbay
Dec 14, 2006

My eye...MY EYE!!!
I ran into a game breaking bug and I cannot advance the story in the Local Girl chapter The carriages of the Espresso Express got disconnected from the ride and they're stuck in the gameworld and I can't tell when there's a gap to grab the circuit board anyone know a work around? I've only been quicksaving so I'm worried I'll have to completely stop playing :(

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

Al! posted:

i didnt know his first name is Warlin. huh what does a W upside down look like

WAH HA HA HAAAA :fart:

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

Captain Hygiene posted:

WAH HA HA HAAAA :fart:

this is now canon

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

Alan Make

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
Okay, so did the bullet of light ever get mentioned anywhere before Alice is like get this from my shoe box 5 minutes before the end of the game? saga tells Alan she has the bullet like me and Alan are supposed to know what it was

Ethiser
Dec 31, 2011

site posted:

Okay, so did the bullet of light ever get mentioned anywhere before Alice is like get this from my shoe box 5 minutes before the end of the game? saga tells Alan she has the bullet like me and Alan are supposed to know what it was

While playing as Alan you find the pictures of the clicker and the bullet and then you get a call from future Alan telling you to put them in the shoebox. It’s an unavoidable event you had to.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
No I mean like the importance of it and why saga needs it. The clicker is obvious but thebullet is just a second thing mentioned offhand real quick. Was there a manuscript about it or anything?

site fucked around with this message at 01:45 on Nov 7, 2023

BOAT SHOWBOAT
Oct 11, 2007

I like that Scratch had his own rap song like he's Sgt Griggs or the Cole Train

RandolphCarter
Jul 30, 2005

site posted:

No I mean like the importance of it and why saga needs it. The clicker is obvious but thebullet is just a second thing mentioned offhand real quick. Was there a manuscript about it or anything?

Just keep playing.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
I already beat the game. That's why I'm asking

RandolphCarter
Jul 30, 2005

Oh my bad, I just woke up and misread your post.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
I think it's just kind of self-explanatory What can kill/stop the Darkness? Light, and Alan and Saga are fighting it using contemporary, conventional weapons, so hence a bullet made of light. I think Alice is just cutting through the bullshit by virtue of her art being able to be more expressionistic.

BOAT SHOWBOAT
Oct 11, 2007

Jeez how long is this movie in the theater

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

Gaz-L posted:

I think it's just kind of self-explanatory What can kill/stop the Darkness? Light, and Alan and Saga are fighting it using contemporary, conventional weapons, so hence a bullet made of light. I think Alice is just cutting through the bullshit by virtue of her art being able to be more expressionistic.

yeah that's pretty much what i gleaned from what what little there was too. it's just that in a game that's fairly concerned with explaining stuff, repeatedly and often in roundabout ways, i figured i must have missed something about it because it's just there

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

BOAT SHOWBOAT posted:

Jeez how long is this movie in the theater

Twenty minutes and if you don't watch the whole thing Sam Lake will visit your house at night and remove the game from your Epic account.

VanillaGorilla
Oct 2, 2003

Prokhor posted:

I've finished Alan Wake 2 and I think honestly that yes combat should just be removed entirely. It feels like the crafting stuff in Control at this point. Something to do just to have something to do. Why have these loot boxes around if you don't need loot to churn through. Changing the flashlight back from american nightmare back to Alan Wake 1 is also a baffling step back. By the end half, I'd just run by all the enemies. Combat just felt like "Why am I doing this? What purpose does this fulfill except wasting time." I am never excited to shoot more zombies, or a wolf, or a cultist or something.

Yeah I'm kind of in the same boat. I've forced myself to play through about 3/4 of the game but I just don't know if I'm going to finish it becuase it feels like a chore. There are these moments of extreme brilliance but some parts of the game's formula are extremely repetitive (go to location, lights get shut off, turn on lights, etc. etc.) and the combat is pretty dire. I also think the Case Board/Mind Palace is neat in concept but grinds the pace of the game to a halt and it feels like I'm constantly pinning a bunch of poo poo to the board which kills my immersion.

It feels like the folks at Remedy really want to make a movie/TV show and I think they should! They have really great ideas, and the best part of this game are the parts that are a TV show! The parts that are a video game, though, are really mid.

I guess there had to be one game that I was going to break from consensus on this year and AW2 is it. Probably my biggest disappointment of 2023.

Revitalized
Sep 13, 2007

A free custom title is a free custom title

Lipstick Apathy
Interesting, I felt the Mind Place increased my immersion because it was sort of like taking the role of a detective doing the analytical parts. To each their own of course.

Weirdly enough, while I agree the combat is pretty mid, I feel like every other aspect of the game overshadowed that in my experience, and I cannot stop gushing in my head about this game.

poe meater
Feb 17, 2011
I think the combat was serviceable enough especially once you realize you can just use your strongest weapons since supplies are everywhere/refilled. You can also sneak by enemies with Alan. Not really sure how much the perk helps though.

The combat in AW1 really felt like a slog by the end to me.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

Revitalized posted:

Interesting, I felt the Mind Place increased my immersion because it was sort of like taking the role of a detective doing the analytical parts. To each their own of course.

Same, I'm loving it. It's a perfect way to do something genre related while also forcing my distraction-addled brain to sit down and piece together each step of the plot :v:

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

poe meater posted:

I think the combat was serviceable enough especially once you realize you can just use your strongest weapons since supplies are everywhere/refilled. You can also sneak by enemies with Alan. Not really sure how much the perk helps though.

i maxed the sneak perk and, besides the enemies that are scripted to spawn and attack after you do certain things, i was able to run or at least walk past like 90% of the enemies in alan's levels even when they were right next to him

DaysBefore
Jan 24, 2019

Plot hole discovered...... Remedy ain't recovering from this one. Buckle in folks because this game is actually extremely fail

shouldn't the Cauldron Lake AWE have made Rose's romantic zombie fanfiction come true

Lot to think about here.....

Malcolm Excellent
May 20, 2007

Buglord

DaysBefore posted:

Plot hole discovered...... Remedy ain't recovering from this one. Buckle in folks because this game is actually extremely fail

shouldn't the Cauldron Lake AWE have made Rose's romantic zombie fanfiction come true

no, because it sucks, and the dark place only allows rad rear end bad rear end stuff Like Rock and Roll and townies possessed by PURE EVIL

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Huge Lady Pleaser posted:

I hope by “gradual” degradation they mean 5-10 minutes because that’s as long as I can play on my god drat rtx 4090 before it crashes. Thanks for the link.

fakeedit: not trying to sound arrogant by saying which card I have, just pissed that after skipping multiple generations I finally bit the bullet and got a new graphics card just for this game I can’t even play it. It basically had to learn to speed run the first section of the game just to get in to bright falls before crashing.

Real edit: seems like it worked so far

Username/post

Flytrap
Apr 30, 2013
If I have any advice to give for combat as Saga it's get the doublshot upgrade for the crossbow ASAP. Most things will die in two hits and you can pick up your bolts like 80% of the time. I used it and the handgun for general purpose and then swapped it out with the shotgun whenever I felt I was nearing a boss fight.

This also left me with the problem of two completely maxed out inventories to fiddle with though, as I was never able to run out of ammo or healing items this way.

Caidin
Oct 29, 2011

DaysBefore posted:

Fanfic Alan is the one leaving all the messages and advice for her.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
why is This Road the only chapter song not on the spotify soundtrack playlist 😩

at least someone put it on youtube

e: i don't think i ever heard the night springs song during my playthrough

site fucked around with this message at 05:46 on Nov 7, 2023

Sassy Sasquatch
Feb 28, 2013

Lakbay posted:

I ran into a game breaking bug and I cannot advance the story in the Local Girl chapter The carriages of the Espresso Express got disconnected from the ride and they're stuck in the gameworld and I can't tell when there's a gap to grab the circuit board anyone know a work around? I've only been quicksaving so I'm worried I'll have to completely stop playing :(

I ran into the same issue earlier and a simple save/reload fixed it.

I’m conflicted about this game. On the one hand I love Saga’s chapters: they are well paced, the detective stuff is engaging to me, and they nail their survival horror/Twin Peaks blend. It’s everything I could have expected from that sequel and the plot is ok.

On the other hand I have a lot of problems with Alan’s chapters. They just feel deeply redundant, disconnected almost. He’s been stuck in the dark place for 13 years, 3DLCs and a spin off at this point, someone please let him (us) out!

A good example of this is this game’s version of the Ashtray Maze. It’s so sad, it’s like they saw people loved that sequence from Control (you should play Control) and decided they had to replicate it here without anyone in the room stopping to think for a second about why it worked in that game. (Hint: Control is a power fantasy where you can erase an entire room of baddies in .2 seconds while literally flying across the level)

It’s ironic because the rock show stage was one of the best and most iconic parts of the original Alan Wake but here it just doesn’t work because the gameplay is just more deliberate and kills the pacing of the entire sequence. It tries to fit a square peg in a round hole instead of playing to this game’s strengths. Someone posted earlier that this gives off Kojima vibes where they just wanted to make a movie out of it and I can’t say I disagree. Combined with a plot that’s been stuck on repeat, it’s a bit much for me.

Not super hopeful that it’s going to get better as I progress but at least the other half of the game is really solid so I don’t regret my purchase.

RandolphCarter
Jul 30, 2005

My favorite tactic with Alan was to get enemies to group up then kill them all with the flare gun

CLARPUS
Apr 3, 2008
Seeing that.
Seeing as.

With Saga I used the hunting rifle the most and it was the only weapon of hers I bothered to fully upgrade.

CLARPUS
Apr 3, 2008
Seeing that.
Seeing as.

Lakbay posted:

Check the case board in your mind place

BOAT SHOWBOAT
Oct 11, 2007

I liked to use all the weapons as Saga and kill an enemy by quick swapping between each without ever reloading

There's a couple upgrades you can get that make this very synergistic

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

I laughed like a maniac the first time I used the crossbow and Saga went to reload it like a real person would while a Taken charged me. I managed to dodge and finish him with the pistol. I was pretty happy to see the effort put in for it to not just function like another gun.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Flytrap
Apr 30, 2013
There was one fight that I will admit felt maybe a little unfair. Late game spoilers. The first fight with Scratch. I'd already internalized that you shouldn't bother opening fire on anything without lighting it up first, so it took me a shamefully long time to realize the game expected me to shoot him until stunned. That might have just been me being dense though.

Overall though this is a pretty great follow up to one of my favorite games of all time.