Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

disposablewords
Sep 12, 2021

PurpleXVI posted:

Please let's not have a repeat of what happened in Cyth's thread where someone insisted on unwanted levels of detail about what turned them on despite a remarkable number of "please stop" warnings.

Yeah that is 100% as far as I was going to go and it's more an oblique reference to how Kerrigan gets treated by weirdos (including Blizzard) than anything else, considering the other ways Hanson gets compared to her. Apologies to the thread in general for my bad joke if someone actually tries to take that as invitation to go further.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kith
Sep 17, 2009

You never learn anything
by doing it right.

unfortunately blizzard's decision to put tits on a bug has had far-reaching consequences

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Spewing insults, pissing off all your neighbors, betraying your allies, backing out of treaties and accords, and generally screwing over the global environment?
ALL PART OF MY BRILLIANT STRATEGY!

disposablewords posted:

Yeah that is 100% as far as I was going to go and it's more an oblique reference to how Kerrigan gets treated by weirdos (including Blizzard) than anything else, considering the other ways Hanson gets compared to her. Apologies to the thread in general for my bad joke if someone actually tries to take that as invitation to go further.

Sorry if I seemed a bit too eager to jump down your throat there, it was more meant as a polite: "Okay, funny, but no details" in general considering what happened on the other side of the forum. :v: You didn't weird me out and I don't figure you really weirded anyone out either.

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER
I'd say it was a fair enough warning; we wouldn't be goons if we could parse social cues :v:

NOW LET ME TELL YOU ABOUT HOW MUCH i LIKE BUG GIRLS. IN THIS ESSAY I WILL

wedgekree
Feb 20, 2013
So, wait, the colonists were all infected with Zerg and basically turned as soon as the Protoss fleet came into orbit? And Hansen did within like an.. Hour or so?

So, like, how is it possible that siding with the colonists does /not/ result in a planet full of millions of Zerg?

SIGSEGV
Nov 4, 2010

It's simple, they are all already infected and the virus only activates when it detects its trigger signal which has been carefully engineered by Kerrigan to be the presence of Raynor in the OPFOR.

mr_stibbons
Aug 18, 2019

wedgekree posted:

So, wait, the colonists were all infected with Zerg and basically turned as soon as the Protoss fleet came into orbit? And Hansen did within like an.. Hour or so?

So, like, how is it possible that siding with the colonists does /not/ result in a planet full of millions of Zerg?
The in mission dialog says that Hanson locks herself in the lab, then stops responding. It's pretty likely that she hosed up and infested herself while rushing to find a cure.

Kith
Sep 17, 2009

You never learn anything
by doing it right.

wedgekree posted:

She injected herself with an incomplete cure in a desperate bid to prove that it was curable and stop the slaughter.

wedgekree posted:

I'm pretty sure this question gets answered.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

wedgekree posted:

Jim asks them "Can't you just...stop being infested?" and they do

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER

wedgekree posted:

As other goons have mentioned, it's reality bending around the player's actions. If they side with the Protoss, then it's far too late to engineer a cure. If they side with the colonists, then way-hey, Raoynor's come along just in time!

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

wedgekree posted:

CommissarMega posted:

As other goons have mentioned, it's reality bending around the player's actions. If they side with the Protoss, then it's far too late to engineer a cure. If they side with the colonists, then way-hey, Raoynor's come along just in time!

It's this. 100% the same as Tosh vs. Nova. It'll be clear after our trip to the non-canon zone.

Blizzard took the coward's approach to choice, bending the meta of the story around what the player chooses to ensure the player never has to doubt themselves. I want to say it wasn't until 2013 or so when I finally got off the 'choices' bandwagon and started giving a dim eye to the practice in game design. These days, I am far more in favor of either long, curated narratives where player input into the story doesn't exist or is explicitly too small to matter (do you want pancakes or waffles for breakfast?) OR a short narrative stuffed to the gills with reactivity that rewards multiple short plays. There's an inherent trade-off between length and reactivity, and cost to develop scales exponentially if you try to increase both with diminishing returns.

Plenty of studios didn't get this memo and like to promise long games with choices that matter and... most of the time it just doesn't work out that way. Blizzard got bit by that bug in 2010 and tried to inject choice into StarCraft 2. What that gave us is a nonsense sequence of events that can't actually interact with each other in any meaningful way except for Tosh and Hanson maybe sometimes having an opinion about a thing. Could Blizzard have made this work and made the campaign react meaningfully? Sure, it's short enough. Add some bonus objectives to take advantage of having Ghosts/Specters or something. Maybe make Media Blitz easier if you side with Hanson on Haven because Raynor looks solidly like the Good Guys having funded medical research that turned out a counter to a Zerg bioweapon. But all else held constant, more time spent on the campaign means less time spent on multiplayer and general gameplay polish. And Starcraft was Blizzard's PREMIER esports franchise. Sure, that might not be what people buy physical copies for (we already litigated those statistics real good) but if SC2 shipped as a mess that couldn't at least claim to be a successor to Brood War multiplayer? It might not have ended the franchise, but it would have been a pretty big black eye to 2010 Blizzard.

I specifically call this the coward's approach as well because it's a deliberate choice to avoid doing anything that might trigger dissonant feelings in your audience. Blizzard likes to play it safe, and the Activision acquisition isn't part of this equation--I can't think of anything post-2000 that was particularly ground breaking in Blizzard storytelling. Certainly not after WoW. Blizzard doesn't want to make waves, they want to appeal to the widest demographic possible to sell the most copies possible. Given how many people trip over themselves to buy Blizzard games even after the scandals, I'd say they're pretty good at it regardless of what the WoW grognards have to say about it. After all, they still seem to buy the expansions and play the raids no matter the complaints about the nonsense story. So when they hopped on the choice bandwagon in 2010, they opted to take the safe and boring route of ensuring that reality confirms the player's choice no matter what that choice is, rather than presenting the player with any ambiguity.

Fortunately, this is the last we'll see of this particular nonsense. There is one more choice in the game, but it isn't a choice between helping and betraying someone, but whether you want to face air attack wave or ground attack waves in the final mission.

gohuskies
Oct 23, 2010

I spend a lot of time making posts to justify why I'm not a self centered shithead that just wants to act like COVID isn't a thing.
Maybe too early to raise this, but would a "I want to kill Kerrigan" versus "I want to rescue Kerrigan" choice have worked in WoL? Obviously they'd have to be rail-roaded to the same final resolution, but maybe you could have gotten different cutscenes or missions along the way.

Arcanuse
Mar 15, 2019

imo should've gotten more than just research points out of this mission, here.
Something with a little substance, based on who you side with, like a Bio/Zerg vs Mech/Protoss upgrade outside the research system.
Iunno, free tamed zergling with every marine/firebat/etc, or the like.

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

We gazed into the eyes of madness... And all we found was horny.

Though then you potentially run into the problem of “I want this upgrade because it’s objectively better (to my playstyle/in general), but I hate the story branch it’s locked behind”

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

Regalingualius posted:

Though then you potentially run into the problem of “I want this upgrade because it’s objectively better (to my playstyle/in general), but I hate the story branch it’s locked behind”

You already have that problem if you don't know about/do the secret mission before progressing to the end of Tychus' missions. If you want tech reactors reasonably early, you need the secret mission or you need to go deep into Tychus/the main storyline.

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

eVeN I KnOw wHaT CoRnEr gAs iS

Warmachine posted:

Blizzard took the coward's approach to choice, bending the meta of the story around what the player chooses to ensure the player never has to doubt themselves.

not every game can be Alpha Protocol, perhaps the only title in the "your choices matter!!!" era which actually followed through

shame about a lot of other parts of that game but the reactivity was absolutely top notch. Really demonstrated both the strengths and the weakness of 'you have to play the whole game at least twice to really get it.'

Psion fucked around with this message at 07:48 on Nov 6, 2023

Omobono
Feb 19, 2013

That's it! No more hiding in tomato crates! It's time to show that idiota Germany how a real nation fights!

For pasta~! CHARGE!

Mass Effect 3 was almost pulling it off, before Marauder Shields and :speculate: made everything go to poo poo.
It was not Alpha Protocol level and you could often see the stitches and the rails, but the Tuchanka sequence was almost :perfect:

(Then as said the ending happened and welp)

JackSplater
Nov 20, 2014

Metal Coat? It's already active?!

Regalingualius posted:

Ah, so the Protoss missions.

eta: I liked them the first time through, but on subsequent playthroughs it's a slog that pretty much ahs to be done if you want the toss/zerg upgrades in a reasonable time

Kurgarra Queen
Jun 11, 2008

GIVE ME MORE
SUPER BOWL
WINS

Omobono posted:

Mass Effect 3 was almost pulling it off, before Marauder Shields and :speculate: made everything go to poo poo.
It was not Alpha Protocol level and you could often see the stitches and the rails, but the Tuchanka sequence was almost :perfect:

I legit loved that series. And I loved ME3 all the way up until the ending. The Citadel DLC is a loving riot.
And then the ending happens.

I don't think I will ever replay Mass Effect again. The ending just killed any desire I had to do so. It's written worse than anything in Wings of Liberty, and I don't say that lightly.
But don't worry, SC2 has two more shots at being worse and by God I think Blizzard did it!

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

Kurgarra Queen posted:

I legit loved that series. And I loved ME3 all the way up until the ending. The Citadel DLC is a loving riot.

I don't think I will ever replay Mass Effect again. The ending just killed any desire I had to do so. It's written worse than anything in Wings of Liberty, and I don't say that lightly.
But don't worry, SC2 has two more shots at being worse and by God I think Blizzard did it!

Lets not say anything we can't take back. When the start is poo poo, the ending being poo poo has less impact, you know? You've gotta factor that into the judgement.

Ultiville
Jan 14, 2005

The law protects no one unless it binds everyone, binds no one unless it protects everyone.

Kurgarra Queen posted:

I agree with all this and will just add that one reason I've never wanted to replay is that the ending nonsense somehow retroactively makes the Citadel DLC, which owns, worse. Because it's such tone whiplash and makes it feel utterly irrelevant. What a terrible storytelling choice.

painedforever
Sep 12, 2017

Quem Deus Vult Perdere, Prius Dementat.
I sorta like the "Choices Matter" gameplay, but then I also hate it because I want to get the best ending possible. Like Dragon Age: Origins. You could let the Wood Elves die to recruit the Werewolves, but you could cure them instead and get the Wood Elves.

Xarn
Jun 26, 2015
The choices have to matter, which is hard. Basically nobody is willing to pull Witcher 2 and just make a whole act completely different based on your previous choices.

Alpha Protocol extremely owned though.

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

Xarn posted:

The choices have to matter, which is hard. Basically nobody is willing to pull Witcher 2 and just make a whole act completely different based on your previous choices.

Alpha Protocol extremely owned though.

This is the fundamental problem, and I'll never move off this soapbox. I agree that choices are cool and I'd do some nasty things to wrench the IP away from Sega and give Obsidian a shot at Alpha Protocol 2 because they pretty much nailed what "choices matter" was meant to be. But the also-rans demonstrate the problem: it's expensive and labor intensive to pull off even in small games mean to be played multiple times. Affordable, Reactive, Long, pick two.

Realistically, studios pick "affordable" and one of the other two, normally long because "300 hours!" is an easy marketing punchline that is proven to work while they add some token choices to the mix so they can technically use the tagline, but the assertion will fall apart under sustained scrutiny.

Mind you, that can be fine--"choices" can only matter so far as characterizing the player character and frankly that's where the compromise can normally work. They give the illusion of player agency by letting the player determine their reaction, but not necessarily the outcome.

gohuskies posted:

Maybe too early to raise this, but would a "I want to kill Kerrigan" versus "I want to rescue Kerrigan" choice have worked in WoL? Obviously they'd have to be rail-roaded to the same final resolution, but maybe you could have gotten different cutscenes or missions along the way.

This could have worked! You can keep the same linear plot but Jim's reaction to events changes, recontextualizing the narrative. Since Final Fantasy 14 is on my brain right now, there's a dialogue choice at the end of the main story in Endwalker that can be kinda divisive. It does gently caress-all to change the outcome, the fight happens the same way, the post fight monologue from the villain is the same, the only thing that changes is how the player's Warrior of Light perceives the event. And people will get spicy about which is the 'right' choice.

Does the choice have any baring on the plot? Nope. Does it matter? Arguably, yes, but not from a mechanical standpoint. Unless you count whether you smirk or not as a mechanic.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Wearer of Compasses. Slayer of Gods. Champion of the Colosseum. Heart of the Void.
Saviour of Hallownest.
I feel, in the vein of strategy games, Triangle Strategy made quite a strong attempt at showing your choices matter, with the game branching into four at one point and a whole extra ending existing if you made a certain set of choices through the game.

Lt. Danger
Dec 22, 2006

jolly good chaps we sure showed the hun

Omobono posted:

ME3 is pretty much the opposite of SC2 and what Warmachine was describing as the "coward's approach" - it goes hard on an ending that deliberately evokes dissonant feelings in the audience (literally the meaning of "lots of speculation") and caught a lot of stick for it. Final Fantasy VII all over again

with regard to SC2, it's just author-stance as opposed to actor-stance. SC2 isn't asking "do you think these colonists are infested or not" or "is Tosh on the level" - utterly impossible to determine - but "what kind of story are you looking to tell"

speaking more generally, to be honest it's weird to get upset over this like Blizzard betrayed us or the choices ruin the story. it's just an alternate ending for a three-mission sidestory for a subplot that isn't that important. the whole thing is potentially skippable. I would argue Wings of Liberty was more than just the next chapter of the Starcraft story (lmao) but also a commercial product, a showcase for the engine and for Blizzard as developers. as such there are gonna be aspects that aren't about the deep characters and themes of Starcraft: Orcs in Space (christ), but instead show off features of the editor, stretch the boundaries of the genre or make splashy talking points for previews and reviews

the lesson Blizzard actually learns is to drop the subplots altogether and have shorter, leaner, more plot-focused campaigns

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

If you want a game where choices matter just play Disco Elysium tbh

MagusofStars
Mar 31, 2012

gohuskies posted:

You could do it in a Bioware Paragon/Renegade kind of way, where your character does the job either way, it just affects why you do the job.

A potential WoL equivalent is whether Raynor is collecting the artifacts because (a) he's trying to rescue Kerrigan or (b) re-humanized Kerrigan is much easier to shoot with a pistol. Either way, he's still collecting artifacts and the goal is still to turn Kerrigan human again, it's just why he's doing it and how Tychus/Matt/etc respond.

bladededge
Sep 17, 2017

im sorry every one. the throne of heroes ran out of new heroic spirits so the grail had to summon existing ones in swimsuits instead

Lt. Danger posted:

speaking more generally, to be honest it's weird to get upset over this like Blizzard betrayed us or the choices ruin the story. it's just an alternate ending for a three-mission sidestory for a subplot that isn't that important. the whole thing is potentially skippable. I would argue Wings of Liberty was more than just the next chapter of the Starcraft story (lmao) but also a commercial product, a showcase for the engine and for Blizzard as developers

Counterpoints:
1. Complaining about the bad writing is great entertainment. Picking apart this franchise in particular, as a botched sequel (plotwise) to an original that was an unexpectedly good writing work, is fun for lit nerds, and people invested in storytelling in general. I count myself among them, this thread has made for some great reading.

2. Pointing out the flaws is educational. You experience the bad stuff and in figuring out why it's bad, it increases your appreciation for the good. This is something you learn as a cliche in every 'appreciation of cinema' class, that you learn more from the failures than the masterpieces. Over the months we've seen some really great comments and insight here that really sheds light on the 'why' of why SC2's writing inspires such derision.

3. Activision is a horrible company and it is morally just and good to mock them and their products. No further comment.

kaosdrachen
Aug 15, 2011

bladededge posted:

Counterpoints:

2. Pointing out the flaws is educational. You experience the bad stuff and in figuring out why it's bad, it increases your appreciation for the good. This is something you learn as a cliche in every 'appreciation of cinema' class, that you learn more from the failures than the masterpieces. Over the months we've seen some really great comments and insight here that really sheds light on the 'why' of why SC2's writing inspires such derision.

I think a lot of us here are non-subscribers to the adage of not wanting to know how the sausage is made. I know I am; understanding how things are made really helps me appreciate the amount of craftsmanship that went into something that's done well, especially in smoothing touches that you don't notice because they're smoothed out well -- and examples like the ones we're discussing here shows us how important (and surprisingly difficult) those can be to do right, by demonstrating what happens when you don't.

(Also hard agree on both other points, but that goes without saying)

BisbyWorl
Jan 12, 2019

Knowledge is pain plus observation.

Unit Spotlight: Viking

Overview:
  • Cost: 150 minerals, 75 gas, 2 supply
  • Production Structure: Starport
  • Health: 125
  • Armor: 0 (+1)
  • Movement Speed (Ground): 2.25
  • Movement Speed (Air): 2.75
  • Attack (Gatling Cannon): 14 (+1), ground only
  • Range: 6
  • Attack Speed: 1
  • Attack (Lanzer Torpedoes): 10 (+1), +4 (+1) vs Armored x2, air only
  • Range: 9
  • Attack Speed: 2
  • Attributes: Armored, Mechanical

The last new unit we'll be seeing in Wings, and the counterpart to the Banshee, the Viking is a solid anti-air specialist that you'll never, ever make. 9 range will let it get free hits on approaching enemies, although the zerg focus in Wing's endgame hurts it slightly as it won't get bonus damage on the multitude of Mutalisks you'll be seeing.

The problem is that most missions don't really have enough air to justify making a unit that can only hit air, and the walker form is useless because Goliaths exist.

To make things worse for them, campaign Vikings actually have a buffed ground attack over their Wings Skirmish counterpart, getting +2 damage which leaves it on par with the Goliath's autocannon.

Thankfully, you don't have to actually make Vikings...

Abilities

Fighter Mode/Assault Mode
  • Viking changes between modes. Transformation takes 3 seconds to complete. Viking is considered airborne for the duration of the change.
The only time you're hitting this is if you're finishing off a base and all the major defenders have already been killed by the rest of your army.

Armory Upgrades

Ripwave Missiles
  • Cost: 75,000 credits
  • Attacks in Fighter Mode now deal area damage.
Ripwave Missiles are anti-matter warheads that can damage multiple air targets with deadly bursts of sub-atomic shrapnel. The long—term environmental impact is still being assessed, but Enlightened Dynamics would like to remind its valued clients that it offers a whole suite of environmental decontamination services.

Helps make up for not getting bonus damage on Mutas by letting you hit the entire flock instead.

Phobos-Class Weapons System
  • Cost: 90,000 credits
  • Vikings gain +2 range in Fighter Mode and +1 range in Assault Mode.
Bellerephon offers an improved loadout for the Viking that adds a longer-range anti-air missile. An improved Gatling Cannon has also been added for increased range in ground assaults.

A lot handier than it sounds, considering the stock missile range already matches an upgraded Goliath. Brood Lords have 9.5 range, so on missions that send them at your base on attack waves you can place a few Vikings safely behind your bunkers and let them shoot down any Brood Lords that show up without having to send them out of the base.

Mercenary: Hel's Angel

• Hiring Cost: 45,000 Credits
  • Mission Cost: 400 minerals, 300 gas, 6 supply
  • Squad Size: 3 Vikings
  • Hiring Cap: 2 squads
  • Cooldown: 5 minutes
  • Stat boosts: +45% Health, +40% Damage
Named after Hel, the Norse goddess of death, this pirate group haunts the fringe worlds looking for easy prey in the Dominion shipping lanes. Their aerial expertise sometimes earns them big cash on a mercenary contract.

Why build Vikings when you can just buy better versions of them? A 5 minute cooldown is short enough to come online before you're in any seriously danger, and getting 6 in total will more than cover your anti-air needs.

Field Manual Artwork

SoundwaveAU
Apr 17, 2018

Vikings are an important piece of the puzzle if you want to brute force some Protoss bases on Brutal difficulty on missions where wiping out the whole base gets you an achievement (The Dig, Welcome To The Jungle) because of how hard they wipe out colossi, which (along with storms) are the only thing that can properly beat marines and medics together.

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Spewing insults, pissing off all your neighbors, betraying your allies, backing out of treaties and accords, and generally screwing over the global environment?
ALL PART OF MY BRILLIANT STRATEGY!

bladededge posted:

Counterpoints:
1. Complaining about the bad writing is great entertainment. Picking apart this franchise in particular, as a botched sequel (plotwise) to an original that was an unexpectedly good writing work, is fun for lit nerds, and people invested in storytelling in general. I count myself among them, this thread has made for some great reading.

Very agreed.

Plus if you ever do any writing yourself, having failures as a way to identify the missteps is very useful. Figuring out how a bad story could have been unfucked is an extremely useful exercise

kaosdrachen
Aug 15, 2011

PurpleXVI posted:

Very agreed.

Plus if you ever do any writing yourself, having failures as a way to identify the missteps is very useful. Figuring out how a bad story could have been unfucked is an extremely useful exercise

This right here is how about 90% of the fanfic that isn't about one slash pairing or another starts.

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

What did you say the strategy was?

Fajita Queen posted:

If you want a game where choices matter just play Disco Elysium Alpha Protocol tbh

ftfy

MadDogMike
Apr 9, 2008

Cute but fanged
And here’s where Blizzard chickened out of a great line; originally Raynor was apparently supposed to comment “What is it with me and women?” after shooting Monster Hanson. Dark or not, failing to make the obvious joke about Jim’s “type” is a terrible missed opportunity.

Lt. Danger
Dec 22, 2006

jolly good chaps we sure showed the hun

bladededge posted:

Counterpoints:

3. Activision is a horrible company and it is morally just and good to mock them and their products. No further comment.

the specific argument is that Haven/Tosh choices aren't significant enough to the story to make criticism important or meaningful. per point 1, we are pedant-academicians competing to be the first to spot a mistake and earn kudos - hence the overemphasis on throwaway details and irrelevant questions

SC1 was quite poorly written but you will find few willing to pick that darling apart

SIGSEGV
Nov 4, 2010

It's not wonderful but it mostly works mechanically, which is enough to be excellent for a game.

SteveSteveSteve
Sep 6, 2023
Bisby, the Unit Spotlight: Medivac link isn't showing in the OP.

To be fair the unit is pretty much forgettable since Medics exist.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

disposablewords
Sep 12, 2021

Lt. Danger posted:

the specific argument is that Haven/Tosh choices aren't significant enough to the story to make criticism important or meaningful. per point 1, we are pedant-academicians competing to be the first to spot a mistake and earn kudos - hence the overemphasis on throwaway details and irrelevant questions

SC1 was quite poorly written but you will find few willing to pick that darling apart

Or, or, maybe people just like talking about things that disappointed them and breaking it apart to figure out why, and continue to dig in as things occur to them and for the sake of conversation. Different stuff throws off different people in different ways.

Also SC1 is a lot more spare in its writing while this tries to fill in unnecessary details constantly so SC1 just has less to pick apart.