Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cimber
Feb 3, 2014

mobby_6kl posted:

Did Trump say anything particularly stupid/incriminating? I followed it a bit and it seems he mostly just tried to dodge the questions and rambled about Scotland and beautiful deals.

Apparently he's perjured the poo poo out of himself?

https://twitter.com/DanAlexander21/status/1721566528070463827

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Murgos
Oct 21, 2010

Cimber posted:

Apparently he's perjured the poo poo out of himself?

https://twitter.com/DanAlexander21/status/1721566528070463827

Is that why during the trial he said "Forbes is owned by China"?

Retro42
Jun 27, 2011

Most likely we won't hear any REAL stories about his testimony for a few days while all the various new outlets review their own transcripts and find all the actually damaging parts. As far as I could glean from what I've read, Trump just continued to be the same untrustworthy narcissist he normally is and I'm doubtful that helped defend the case against him.

Although, it's worth noting how well behaved he was regarding statements during lunch and in the courtroom that I'm 10000% sure he WANTED to make but bit his tongue. He's clearly taking this serious enough to actually kinda sorta listen to his attorney for once.

InsertPotPun
Apr 16, 2018

Pissy Bitch stan

Retro42 posted:

Most likely we won't hear any REAL stories about his testimony for a few days while all the various new outlets review their own transcripts and find all the actually damaging parts. As far as I could glean from what I've read, Trump just continued to be the same untrustworthy narcissist he normally is and I'm doubtful that helped defend the case against him.

Although, it's worth noting how well behaved he was regarding statements during lunch and in the courtroom that I'm 10000% sure he WANTED to make but bit his tongue. He's clearly taking this serious enough to actually kinda sorta listen to his attorney for once.
trump presented all his evidence that the election was stolen but the judge yelled at trunp to shut up and trump quietly put it all away

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one

There's one possibility I can see for why they'd call Trump to the stand, which is if Trump demands it because he can then have them ask friendly questions that let him pontificate freely.

I can only imagine his reaction if he were to try that and then get slapped down for it by the judge again lol

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Only two contestants left! Here is Doom's chance for revenge...

Retro42 posted:

One thing in that above Forbes Article that could be important is how in the last week Trump's last loan with Deutche Bank was paid off. As they are in the middle of a large investigation, this could be an attempt to clean up certain matters.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

I'm quite frankly just shocked that Trump didn't demand a cross just so he could talk about whatever was on that little paper the judge told him to put away.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

This does not make sense when, again, aggregate indicia also indicate improvements. The belief that things are worse is false. It remains false.

Nitrousoxide posted:

I'm quite frankly just shocked that Trump didn't demand a cross just so he could talk about whatever was on that little paper the judge told him to put away.

Defense can apparently call him separately. I'm very curious if they've already filed a witness list.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one

Intensely funny that Trump thinks he has some kind of stunning evidence that will have the judge reverse his decision and toss the case, but even funnier that he's so TV brained he thinks surprise evidence brought up on the fly by someone in the courtroom is a real thing.

negativeneil
Jul 8, 2000

"Personally, I think he's done a great job of being down to earth so far."
Intensely unfunny that most Americans believe the same thing and that's all that matters

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

Ms Adequate posted:

Intensely funny that Trump thinks he has some kind of stunning evidence that will have the judge reverse his decision and toss the case, but even funnier that he's so TV brained he thinks surprise evidence brought up on the fly by someone in the courtroom is a real thing.

The paper he had was the disclaimer in the estimates of his wealth, which he thought was hugely important for some reason.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

Deteriorata posted:

The paper he had was the disclaimer in the estimates of his wealth, which he thought was hugely important for some reason.

He thinks that a small-text "but also all of this could be lies" disclaimer at the bottom means he's not liable for bank fraud.

negativeneil
Jul 8, 2000

"Personally, I think he's done a great job of being down to earth so far."
A strategy that most convicted fraudsters trot out at some point in their trial, I'm sure. I'm surprised the State hasn't explained by way of evidence that banks that loaned to him under false pretenses didn't have capital to subsequently lend out to other businesses who were operating in good faith. Hard to prove maybe, but easy to understand for the jury (that's the voters here)

negativeneil fucked around with this message at 02:21 on Nov 7, 2023

Retro42
Jun 27, 2011

negativeneil posted:

A strategy that most convicted fraudsters trot out at some point in their trial, I'm sure. I'm surprised the State hasn't explained by way of evidence that banks that loaned to him under false pretenses didn't have capital to subsequently lend out to other businesses who were operating in good faith. Hard to prove maybe, but easy to understand for the jury (that's the voters here)

It has in a way. One of the witnesses for the state spent a ton of time talking about how if Trump Org had been valued properly and given appropriate rates based on risk the bank stood to earn something like $185Mil in additional interest.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

Discendo Vox posted:

Defense can apparently call him separately. I'm very curious if they've already filed a witness list.

They could, but it's generally better to question a witness under cross if you can since you get a ton more flexibility on how you question them compared to when they are your witness.

I mean either way the state would object to him trying to introduce new physical evidence on the stand anyway. They should only be able to "refresh" his recollection using evidence already in the record.

Murgos
Oct 21, 2010

Google Jeb Bush posted:

He thinks that a small-text "but also all of this could be lies" disclaimer at the bottom means he's not liable for bank fraud.

“Magic words”

This buffoon was president. Finger on the button and he believes in magic words.

Eric Cantonese
Dec 21, 2004

You should hear my accent.
I find it amazing how it's totally normal to be given audit reports and financial documents that contain non-reliance warnings. You request these documents to rely on them! No one reads these because they're looking for fiction.

Youremother
Dec 26, 2011

MORT

How much longer until he starts pulling Charles Manson strategies and has supporters rush into the courtroom with banners or something

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Youremother posted:

How much longer until he starts pulling Charles Manson strategies and has supporters rush into the courtroom with banners or something

Given his cult, I'm a little surprised nobody is doing it on their own.

Uglycat
Dec 4, 2000
MORE INDISPUTABLE PROOF I AM BAD AT POSTING
---------------->

Gyges posted:

Given his cult, I'm a little surprised nobody is doing it on their own.

He's surprised too. Highlights his hubris.

Morroque
Mar 6, 2013
In fairness, the last time people did do it "on their own," not a whole lot happened aside from making a mess, then about 24 months passed and they all started going to prison. That probably took a whole lot of wind out of those particular sails.

Wizard Master
Mar 25, 2008

The country’s more divided than ever!

Jean-Paul Shartre
Jan 16, 2015

this sentence no verb

Eric Cantonese posted:

I find it amazing how it's totally normal to be given audit reports and financial documents that contain non-reliance warnings. You request these documents to rely on them! No one reads these because they're looking for fiction.

The law basically recognises this. There’s a minor good-faith mistake or restatements, you make them and it’s copacetic. You’re just lying out your rear end and then rely on the disclaimer to save you, you’re in trouble. The disclaimer is only of legal effect until it isn’t, basically; “hey, we’re all humans, don’t count on this to be perfect” is what they protect against, not intentional fraud.

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

Jean-Paul Shartre posted:

The law basically recognises this. There’s a minor good-faith mistake or restatements, you make them and it’s copacetic. You’re just lying out your rear end and then rely on the disclaimer to save you, you’re in trouble. The disclaimer is only of legal effect until it isn’t, basically; “hey, we’re all humans, don’t count on this to be perfect” is what they protect against, not intentional fraud.
'Fraud vitiates everything it touches' is important for those disclaimers too. If you're committing fraud, no contract or disclaimer or anything matters anymore.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Kaiser Schnitzel posted:

'Fraud vitiates everything it touches' is important for those disclaimers too. If you're committing fraud, no contract or disclaimer or anything matters anymore.

But it's not fraud because I said I'm making poo poo up :)

Fuschia tude
Dec 26, 2004

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2019

Kaiser Schnitzel posted:

That is...not actually true. The phrase became popular in the last couple of years as Trump's election overturning conspirators used it in their legal arguments, citing US v. Throckmorton, an 1878 land ownership SCOTUS ruling. But not only was that stupid because that isn't applicable to election law, the justice wasn't stating that as an ironclad fact about US law but was citing a legal treatise on the subject, and the court rejected it in that very case.

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer

mobby_6kl posted:

But it's not fraud because I said I'm making poo poo up :)

Maybe that was the logic behind Lev Parnas naming his "business venture" "Fraud Guarantee"

"Can't arrest me for fraud if I'm completely up front about it!" :v:

Blotto_Otter
Aug 16, 2013

the disclaimers that trump keeps pointing to are issued by the accountants, and only insulate the accountants from the risk that there is an error or fraud that the accountants didn't catch in good faith. and this is not the accountants' first rodeo, so there is a separate piece of paper called a "management representation letter" that the accountants get a trump org officer to sign that says "we, the trump org management, promise that we've told you (the accountants) the truth and are not hiding any errors or frauds from you", which puts trump right back on the hook for any deliberate misstatements. of course, you don't see trump trying to wave that piece of paper around.

so yes, if the disclaimers said what trump claims they say, it still wouldn't hold up in court, but this is trump so he's also lying about what the disclaimers actually say

e:

Eric Cantonese posted:

worth noting that actual financial statement audit reports do not have non-reliance warnings, they only have disclaimers pointing out that the accountants are only reasonably sure they're correct, not absolutely sure, because they might've missed something and yadda yadda yadda. Problem is that there's a whole bunch of other things you can ask the accountants to do (reviews, compilations, agreed-upon procedures) that have a lot less assurance and a lot more in the way of disclaimers. (But those disclaimers still don't protect the accountants or the client from deliberate misrepresentations.)

point I'm trying to make here is... this is a little bit on the banks. If you work at the bank and you have a nine-figure lending client, and you ask that client for audited and complete financial statements, and they come back with "hmmm how about some compiled personal balance sheets instead?", that's a fuckin' big ol' red flag that you, mr. bank vice president, chose to ignore. that should absolutely not get trump off the hook for deliberately inflating values, but there is some truth to the accountants and the banks willfully sticking their heads in the sand in order to ignore trump's obvious lies and continue doing business

e2: to be absolutely clear, i am saying that i would be fine with hammering the accountants and the bankers too, not just the trumps. they are not naive waifs who were clueless about the trumps' corruption, many of them absolutely knew or suspected and just treated it as the cost of doing business. if the accountants were smart then it might be difficult to prove that they knew this was bullshit, but they're not complete idiots, they can tell when clients are full of poo poo

Blotto_Otter fucked around with this message at 17:34 on Nov 7, 2023

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

Fuschia tude posted:

That is...not actually true. The phrase became popular in the last couple of years as Trump's election overturning conspirators used it in their legal arguments, citing US v. Throckmorton, an 1878 land ownership SCOTUS ruling. But not only was that stupid because that isn't applicable to election law, the justice wasn't stating that as an ironclad fact about US law but was citing a legal treatise on the subject, and the court rejected it in that very case.

Oh huh. I hadn't actually heard it in that context. The context I had heard it used in was a plaintiff's lawyer explaining why a contract that said 'you won't sue us' didn't matter because the company was engaged in fraud so the terms of the contract didn't matter anymore, and that seemed applicable to this case. But IANAL.

Scratch Monkey
Oct 25, 2010

👰Proč bychom se netěšili🥰když nám Pán Bůh🙌🏻zdraví dá💪?
“How can they charge me with armed robbery? My gun was just a toy!”

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

The Malta Conference, anyone?

Scratch Monkey posted:

“How can they charge me with armed robbery? My gun was just a toy!”

"I'm not here to rob anybody, but if someone wanted to put money in this bag I'm holding, then I'm sure everything will be fine. I disclaim this firearm I have in my hand and am pointing at you."

OgNar
Oct 26, 2002

They tapdance not, neither do they fart
Rudy, you're the best
https://twitter.com/santiagomayer_/status/1721892517678137454

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Man that was a great day on pre-Elon twitter. Watching it dawn on everyone why the PC was where it was....pure posting joy.

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
SOME REALLY TEDIOUS DUMB SHIT THAT SUCKS ASS TO READ ->>

truly a never 4get day

Nervous
Jan 25, 2005

Why, hello, my little slice of pecan pie.

It's even got it's own Wikipedia page.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Four_Seasons_Total_Landscaping_press_conference

Bloody Pom
Jun 5, 2011

The hazard diamond isn't for what's inside the building.

'Intense or continued but not chronic exposure could cause temporary incapacitation or possible residual injury' yeah that sounds about right.

Foxfire_
Nov 8, 2010

The other thing they disclaim against is garbage in, garbage out. If you hire a 3rd party accounting firm to audit some company's books, they're going to include a disclaimer that they're starting from assuming some things reported are real. They're not going to go do things like physically check that the a warehouse contains what the inventory spreadsheet says, or whether your list of customer invoices are complete fabrications

Zotix
Aug 14, 2011

So let's say there are no delays in the DC case and it starts early March. Let's say it goes 6-8 weeks and Trump is found guilty. If he appeals instantly, what does that look like? Is he detained pending appeal? How long would the appeal process take?

Blotto_Otter
Aug 16, 2013

Foxfire_ posted:

If you hire a 3rd party accounting firm to audit some company's books.... They're not going to go do things like physically check that the a warehouse contains what the inventory spreadsheet says, or whether your list of customer invoices are complete fabrications
they absolutely do this in a financial statement audit. (But most things that accountants do are not actually an "audit", because actual audits are onerous and expensive because they involve doing things like sending an intern out to a warehouse over in Tulsa to count spools of wire or some poo poo.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nervous
Jan 25, 2005

Why, hello, my little slice of pecan pie.

Blotto_Otter posted:

they absolutely do this in a financial statement audit. (But most things that accountants do are not actually an "audit", because actual audits are onerous and expensive because they involve doing things like sending an intern out to a warehouse over in Tulsa to count spools of wire or some poo poo.)

I've been the guy pulling poo poo down and counting hundreds of shift levers or grab handles in front of the auditor and CFO. It's annoying, but it definitely happens and like clockwork on whatever schedule the contracts or government wants. Then your count is off by two hundred from what it should be and you just wish you'd called in that day.

Last few times were remote with the auditor being walked around in a tablet thanks to COVID.