Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

i gotta say i find it extra hard to care about an American Godzilla streaming show (on apple plus lol) when there's a real Godzilla movie coming out

Because Monsterverse Godzilla is a boss?

If nothing else it looks like they're wheeling it back to the 2014 'cryptid' model for the Titans to keep the intrigue, rather than them just being giant-monsters-that-gently caress-poo poo-up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

i gotta say i find it extra hard to care about an American Godzilla streaming show (on apple plus lol) when there's a real Godzilla movie coming out

I'm definitely looking forward to Apple Godzilla but yeah Minus One is a pure Horror Godzilla and that is my favorite type of Godzilla (1954 & Shin)

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

Sound is awful but here’s Operation Jet Jaguar

[video type=""]https://youtu.be/bq6WWZl26H8?si=fWkD6VhElXuKevDv[/video]

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Lots of cribbing from 2014 (underwater swimming, the emphasis on spikes) but it all looks good so who cares.

Splint Chesthair
Dec 27, 2004

I am hype for Minus One as well as Tim Cook Presents Godzilla vs. Kurt Russell, so let's loving go.

Asterite34
May 19, 2009

Vintersorg posted:

Lots of cribbing from 2014 (underwater swimming, the emphasis on spikes) but it all looks good so who cares.

As opposed to... above-water swimming? :confused:

Ben Nerevarine
Apr 14, 2006

GATOS Y VATOS posted:

They put up the G vs M short at least so you can watch it in better quality

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J5I00p3KqvE

I waited years for a Megalon redesign and it’s everything I dreamed :allears:

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Asterite34 posted:

As opposed to... above-water swimming? :confused:

I worded it weird - just meant using the same camera angle/action - seeing Godzilla swim under a battleship.

Glad I had to explain this.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

All Godzillas are good

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
AGAG

Animal-Mother
Feb 14, 2012

RABBIT RABBIT
RABBIT RABBIT

Desumaytah posted:

Got a little nostalgic, because it's been a rough year. Wanted to share something I forgot I wrote a while back, because giant monster movies are important to me for weird reasons:

Shin Godzilla is one of my very favorite movies because during the scene where Godzilla first uses his atomic breath, it got me to go from my standard reaction of "HELL YEAH. ATOMIC BREATH. GET 'EM." to "...ᵒʰ ⁿᵒ"

It's super hard to pull off giant monster horror, because the scale difference between human beings and a monster the size of a skyscraper creates a huge disconnect. That's the point, though. The trick is that you have to lean into that scale to make it work. You have to divorce yourself from human intimacy and accept that nature has never cared about you, is bigger than you, that it can toss you aside, for forever, at any moment, and when it does it's not going to spare you a second thought. It doesn't matter how important you thought your troubles were or how righteous your beliefs. The world will kill you. It'll kill everyone. Every day we hear news of far-off earthquakes, or catastrophic flooding. Of war. Most of the time we shut it out. We ignore the numbers, because they're huge, because we don't want to think about dying with strangers en masse.

Those strangers didn't want to think about it, either.

So when Godzilla sets the whole horizon on fire, incinerating most of the cast we've been travelling throughout the movie with, and we don't get so much as a reaction shot from any of them, it's terrifying. All of those important people are reduced to a statistic. The whole of Tokyo turns into a glowing, red grave. Thousands of years of history burn, and it just kind of...happens, in an instant. All in a fit of anger from a being that just exists harder than you. A being big enough that you can look it straight in the eye the whole of your life and it'll still never notice you're there.

And then you have to move on. There's fire everywhere and most of your friends and family are dead. Even the bones and ashes are gone. The most substantial part of them left are the numbers they add to the casualty report, and the sad truth is those numbers are the only legacy some of them will leave behind.

Shunt it to the back of your mind and get on with your life. Your brain tells you that Death only matters when it's people you know.

Your brain is wrong, though, and you know it.

A very good post. Lovecraft would have loved Godzilla.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Big Mean Jerk posted:

All Godzillas are good

* except Zilla

Asterite34
May 19, 2009

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

* except Zilla

Hey, Zilla was a perfectly serviceable Beast from 20000 Fathoms design update, that at least makes it an acceptable conceptual cousin of Godzilla.

Dangerous Person
Apr 4, 2011

Not dead yet
At the point with Minus One where I don't want to see anything else before I actually go to see the movie

A little bummed that I'll have to settle for a regular screen because the IMAX showtimes at my local theater are loving insane

Dangerous Person fucked around with this message at 20:56 on Nov 3, 2023

MrMojok
Jan 28, 2011

I don’t even know how many times I’ve watched the Minus One trailer.

Just the hysterical, terrified crowd screams at the beginning tells you they are hitting the right tone.

Godzilla is supposed to be scary, a gigantic terror-beast capable of causing incomprehensible destruction.

I just love the vibe they’ve gone for with this new one.

FooF
Mar 26, 2010
Yeah, Minus One Godzilla is a complete 180 from Shin.

Shin was this indifferent, crazed monstrosity that destroyed simply by existing. Minus One appears willful, malicious even. He wants to kill you. Not even G'54 was portrayed this way.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right
Monarch: Legacy of Monsters sneak peek at the opening scene:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hrdEGITLLQU

The first two episodes drop in 2 weeks. If anyone's wondering what year it'll be set in, this video shows that they jump from 1973 Skull Island to 2013, just before the 2014 Godzilla film

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iMP7CvB64y8

Calexio
Jun 12, 2008

Gyoza and beer
I've not seen a lot of Godzilla films but I enjoyed this a lot even though my Japanese is only good enough to grasp the broad strokes of the plot!

Der-Wreck
Feb 13, 2006
Friday nights are for Wapner!

Vintersorg posted:

Don't think Winnipeg is getting it here. Prob only Vancouver and Toronto. :( We got Shin when it was limited release!!!

Aw that stinks :negative: I really want to see Minus 1 in theatres. Here’s hoping it ends up playing somewhere here in Winnipeg.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right
Here in Melbourne Australia there's a handful of cinemas which will show it in the first week of December (only a single 6:30pm session per day, lol) but my local IMAX cinema also has a handful of sessions.

E: premium tickets are $49.50 plus booking fee what the fuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuck

The Cameo
Jan 20, 2005

lol used my last hours of having AMC Stubs to snatch the best seat in the house for Minus One in the Empire 25 in Times Square. G11 for G-1 for me

:namazu:

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

The official drop just happened

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D__GbFY08Og

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

And the video on the building of the new Jet Jaguar suit

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jrb7gWLX9rQ

Dangerous Person
Apr 4, 2011

Not dead yet
Seriously debating going to a 10:50 PM screening the day it comes out just so I can see it in IMAX

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

can't believe I got to see Shin Godzilla at Alamo when it released in the USA and now get to see Minus One in an NYC AMC, truly blessed.

Megalon short film made me wish we could maybe get an antagonist monster again in the future because goddamn that new design was amazing.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Wish I could get English subs. :(

E: Holy poo poo this loving rules - JJ spin kicking Godzilla in the face. I need a gif asap.
E: God the real suit action is SO GOOD.

Vintersorg fucked around with this message at 23:25 on Nov 4, 2023

FlashFearless
Nov 4, 2004
Death. But not for you, Gunslinger. Never for you.

I didn't expect that level of sexual tension between Goji and JJ.

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

https://x.com/DiscussingFilm/status/1720841246984245526?s=20

MrMojok
Jan 28, 2011

Wow… I am getting so excited for this.

DisposableHero
Feb 25, 2005
bah weep granna weep ninny bong
I'm on a family vacation to Japan and got to see Minus 1 in the Toho Cinema in Shinjuku. The one with a giant godzilla head poking out the top.

I do not speak a lick of Japanese but I didn't have issues following the story at all. I will be curious to see subtitles eventually to see if I misunderstood somethings. Godzilla in this really feels like an angry force of nature and I really dig the design. My previous favorite was Shin and this is probably my new favorite.

I saw it in a 4D showing with moving seats, lights, smells, wind, etc. It was kinda wild. But feeling a kick in the seat (literally) when Godzilla stomps the hell out of something was pretty amazing.

Also there was someone definitely crying in the theater at the end of my showing. The end is sorta emotional but it really got to this person...

Also I bought a couple Godzilla sofubi from the theater on the way out.

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

DisposableHero posted:

I'm on a family vacation to Japan and got to see Minus 1 in the Toho Cinema in Shinjuku. The one with a giant godzilla head poking out the top.

I do not speak a lick of Japanese but I didn't have issues following the story at all. I will be curious to see subtitles eventually to see if I misunderstood somethings. Godzilla in this really feels like an angry force of nature and I really dig the design. My previous favorite was Shin and this is probably my new favorite.

I saw it in a 4D showing with moving seats, lights, smells, wind, etc. It was kinda wild. But feeling a kick in the seat (literally) when Godzilla stomps the hell out of something was pretty amazing.

Also there was someone definitely crying in the theater at the end of my showing. The end is sorta emotional but it really got to this person...

Also I bought a couple Godzilla sofubi from the theater on the way out.

Hot drat! Did you get the blue sparkle theater exclusive?

DisposableHero
Feb 25, 2005
bah weep granna weep ninny bong

GATOS Y VATOS posted:

Hot drat! Did you get the blue sparkle theater exclusive?

In hindsight I should have taken a photo of their display. That one I believe was sold out (I definitely didn't see it) and I ended up with a Godzilla and a Hedorah that are both kinda lustrous purple. I'll grab a photo when I have a chance and share back in the sofubi thread.

We also went to the Godzilla store (I think this is a pop up shop) inside a nearby mall which had a decent selection.

Edit: nevermind just adding them here.

DisposableHero fucked around with this message at 22:25 on Nov 6, 2023

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

DisposableHero posted:

Oh cool! I have 4D seats for the 2nd.

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

DisposableHero posted:

In hindsight I should have taken a photo of their display. That one I believe was sold out (I definitely didn't see it) and I ended up with a Godzilla and a Hedorah that are both kinda lustrous purple. I'll grab a photo when I have a chance and share back in the sofubi thread.

We also went to the Godzilla store (I think this is a pop up shop) inside a nearby mall which had a decent selection.

Edit: nevermind just adding them here.

Look at those little guys!! :buddy:

I'm seeing IMAX but man I would love to go to a 4D showing as well

Dangerous Person
Apr 4, 2011

Not dead yet
Jealous as hell of Japanese theaters selling Godzilla toys

MrMojok
Jan 28, 2011

DisposableHero posted:

Please, tell us a little more, in spoiler tags. Any other interesting little tidbits you can think of?

Regular Wario
Mar 27, 2010

Slippery Tilde
What does godzilla smell like?

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

Non Compos Mentis posted:

What does godzilla smell like?

A mix of sulphur, clorox, chlorine, and ozone, on top of whatever burning raw reptile meat smalls like

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

smells like hot vinyl