Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Powered Descent posted:

Slylock Fox

I hate this kind of puzzle.

Shemp framed them

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Weembles
Apr 19, 2004

Powered Descent posted:

Slylock Fox

I hate this kind of puzzle.

Shouldn't the negation of "it wasn't Moe or Larry" be "it was Moe and Larry"?

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

nope

Moe saying "I took it" would make that a paradox

Huxley
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer
A+J

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

This might be :can: but I don't get people who whine about 'fall back'. You get to set your clock back an hour and gain sleep! That's a hell of a lot better than 'spring forward'.

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

F_Shit_Fitzgerald posted:

This might be :can: but I don't get people who whine about 'fall back'. You get to set your clock back an hour and gain sleep! That's a hell of a lot better than 'spring forward'.

To be honest I don't like it getting dark at 5 very much, when I had a dog walking in the dark sucks a bit but I have a nice flashlight, flashing LED/reflective high vis vest for myself and a high vis vest for dog. I'll be doing that again, eventually, so I've kept it all around.

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

Shugojin posted:

To be honest I don't like it getting dark at 5 very much, when I had a dog walking in the dark sucks a bit but I have a nice flashlight, flashing LED/reflective high vis vest for myself and a high vis vest for dog. I'll be doing that again, eventually, so I've kept it all around.

I'll grant you that. One of the few things I don't like about fall is how early it gets dark. One of the few aspects of summer I do like are the late sunsets.

Hippocrass
Aug 18, 2015

That third panel of the first comic just makes it. It's still funny if you remove it, but that panel included just makes it top tier.

Weembles posted:

Shouldn't the negation of "it wasn't Moe or Larry" be "it was Moe and Larry"?

That would require "It wasn't Moe and Larry."

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice
Retail

Popcom

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

I don't like it when you're watching me eat.

F_Shit_Fitzgerald posted:

Man, I have trouble sleeping late, in that even on a weekend with nothing to do, I'm usually up by 7. Recently I got darker shades for my windows and it seemed to be helping a bit. Yesterday morning I woke up, looked at my clock and saw that it was 9:00. Woo-hoo! I got to sleep in and be lazy! Then I looked at my phone and saw it was 8:00. I was so disappointed.

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

My support for DST is entirely contingent on it being first implemented by Germany in WW1.

EasyEW
Mar 8, 2006

I've got my father's great big six-shooter with me 'n' if anybody in this woods wants to start somethin' just let 'em--but they DASSN'T.
Since we've got a DST sidebar going on, the US tried doing Daylight Savings year-round during the 1970s oil crisis. It was a popular move...during the summer months, with the late sunsets and so on. Then winter rolled back around and parents realized that the sun not rising until well after 8am meant they were going to put their kids out for the school bus in pitch blackness. It lasted barley a year. Which is why the Sunshine Protection Act is one of the dumbest and most short-sighted things to get bipartisan support in the current Congress.

EasyEW fucked around with this message at 18:48 on Nov 6, 2023

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer
marla's husband is smart. I remember doing something similar when I was a nanny, telling the parents the baby was soooo close to rolling over or walking. Baby somehow always managed to do first steps when I wasn't there but they were.

remember, in Safe Havens, they could literally get rid of poverty and world hunger and all diseases but instead they will turn a dog into a cat into a lab assistant. for science. Shockwave had better loving ethics.

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Didn't you mean to ask about flowers?
Jucika "366 - Jucika And The Asphalt Outlaw"

A reminder that asphalt outlaw is an awesome cultural translation of catcaller. "könyv = book, cselgáncs = judo"

"367 - Jucika Starts The Heating Season"

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

EasyEW posted:

Since we've got a DST sidebar going on, the US tried doing Daylight Savings year-round during the 1970s oil crisis. It was a popular move...during the summer months, with the late sunsets and so on. Then winter rolled back around and parents realized that the sun not rising until well after 8am meant they were going to put their kids out for the school bus in pitch blackness. It lasted barley a year. Which is why the Sunshine Protection Act is one of the dumbest and most short-sighted things to get bipartisan support in the current Congress.

So, why didn't the schools just start an hour later? Does it really make more sense to shift the schedule of everything in the country than for one thing to pick a time that makes sense for it?

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Powered Descent posted:

So, why didn't the schools just start an hour later? Does it really make more sense to shift the schedule of everything in the country than for one thing to pick a time that makes sense for it?

most likely our pitiful budgets for school transportation, necessitating most parents to drive their own kids to & from school

school starting an hour later means mom or dad can't get to work on time

EasyEW
Mar 8, 2006

I've got my father's great big six-shooter with me 'n' if anybody in this woods wants to start somethin' just let 'em--but they DASSN'T.
It's easy to assume a big part of it was because in the 1970s that "one thing" was made up of just shy of 20,000 individual school districts, each with their own school boards, superintendents, but also their own PTAs, who would be more than happy to give a school system blowback from personal disruptions to morning routines (because of that last thing Hwurmp just said).

Anyway, reports of kids getting run over by cars at pre-dawn bus stops played a huge part in killing the experiment very quickly.

Julet Esqu
May 6, 2007

Luann

She's an influencer and that wasn't even a thing in Greg and Karen's day, therefore she deserves to find out her boyfriend is loving around on a live.

Gil Thorp

Home Free

Mister Olympus
Oct 31, 2011

Buzzard, Who Steals From Dead Bodies
and they never considered keeping non-DST year round

Drimble Wedge
Mar 10, 2008

Self-contained

Scary Gary

Caption It!

"Caption It!" is a new cartoon caption contest that runs every week in this space. Are you creative? Do you have a weird sense of humor? Then send us a submission along with your name and town!
Email entries to captionitcartoon@gmail.com or go to @caption_it_cartoon on Instagram to comment/like.
Remember to keep captions brief and clean. Good luck!

EasyEW
Mar 8, 2006

Mister Olympus posted:

and they never considered keeping non-DST year round

Seeing as how the real beneficiaries are the brick-and-mortar retailers who get an extra hour of daylight on DST to sell things (and presumably have good lobbyists), that's probably not on the table.

Giant Ethicist
Jun 9, 2013

Looks like she got on a loaf of bread instead of a bus again...
We Are Reproducing
Bad Advice Theater

Timg’d for boob

Boring-unless-you’re-into-that-kind-of-thing language footnote: Kanji were imported into Japan from China comparatively recently and sort of “back-applied” to a lot of Japanese words (incidentally, quirks of Japanese writing like needing to use a couple different writing systems mashed together and having multiple ways to pronounce any given kanji are largely a consequence of the not-perfect fit of an ideographic writing system developed for a different language with different grammar). So “ridiculously complicated kanji for a very common object” instances like this likely happened because somebody 1000 years ago felt they had to find kanji to fit the existing Japanese word, ease of use be damned. In practice, “diaper” is never written using kanji.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Bad Machinery

maltesh
May 20, 2004

Uncle Ben: Still Dead.

Malachite_Dragon posted:

I know, I know, the Safe Havens genetics bullshit really shouldn't shock me anymore, but what the gently caress?

And, at least according to the Wikipedia article, that border collie is presumably still married to the state governor.

Nostalgamus
Sep 28, 2010

maltesh posted:

And, at least according to the Wikipedia article, that border collie is presumably still married to the state governor.

Thank you, that clears things up.

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011
Scary Go Round (January 26-29, 2004)

Julet Esqu
May 6, 2007

WAR baby also cute when angry confirmed

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.

Julet Esqu posted:

Luann

She's an influencer and that wasn't even a thing in Greg and Karen's day, therefore she deserves to find out her boyfriend is loving around on a live.

And there it is, the framing that makes her the bad guy. All she cares about is likes and the adulation of others, she doesn't actually care about Gunther (nor should she, he is terrible)

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

Pogo 10/1-3/51

The Curtiss Jenny was a type of popular World War I biplane that often got converted into mail planes after the war.

Archie 8/26-28/48

Tom Corbett, Space Cadet 9/17-19/51

"Aim that stream of water directly into the clown's mouth, cadet, and don't waste a drop!"

Murdstone
Jun 14, 2005

I'm feeling Jimmy

EasyEW posted:

Rip Haywire

You know how some comics can get a lot of gags out of one thing, like Andertoons with PowerPoint presentations or Dark Side of the Horse with elevators?

Yeah, it doesn't work with this pancake poo poo. Every week there's some mention of pancakes and how Rip just loves the poo poo out of them.

I don't even know why I read it anymore it's gone completely off the rails with his son who is a super hero or something? And sometimes Rip has long hair maybe? I can't even follow it.

F Minus

Mark Trail

Pictured: sticky notes

Mary Worth

The Phantom

Are they trying to keep them from hooking up or are they afraid he's going to mention Master Jampa for some reason?

Pooch Cafe

Rex Morgan MD

You could not watch it.

Andertoons

:lol:

Apartment 3-G

Vox Valentine
May 31, 2013

Solving all of life's problems through enhanced casting of Occam's Razor. Reward yourself with an imaginary chalice.

Well, Here We Are.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FX5LayP0JlM

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Didn't you mean to ask about flowers?
Tom, Space Cadet is pretty decent. Rock solid gag and timing on the last strip there.

Not looking forward to character assassination for Bets. Sure, being influencer crazy is a problem. Still not balancing that scale with all the bad sides we've seen of Gunther.

Rip Haywire is competent but permanently locked in a comfort zone tied to dragging comics out to fill the year. It's never bad but I've stopped reading it too.

I just realized with Holbrook, who I try to avoid reading but skimmed today. OK, so you can't kill anyone you know because that's murder and not preying on them, very significant difference totally provable either way, fine. Why don't herbivores ever kill in self defense? Cause I skimmed the strips and thought "it's really nice of them to take those wolves prisoner." I assume there's some stupid poo poo like "the magic bird people forbid guns" but you're telling me nobody carries a knife? Yeah yeah, the "heroes" are "good" except for that bone spitting fatality for the avatar of death rabbit child, el oh el.

Chicken Parmigiana
Sep 12, 2007

gently caress you, Arlo. This comic is bad now. The guy in it owns a leaf blower.

theironjef
Aug 11, 2009

The archmage of unexpected stinks.

Can't wait to never find out what crime those coyotes were supposed to be committing. I would have assumed given the frequency it occurs that trying to sneak into a children's summer camp to eat them would be entirely legal.

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!
Into Ilves

Nancy

Dustin

Mandrake

The art is already quite rough, but we still have seven years to go. Fred Fredericks was 77 at this point.

amigolupus
Aug 25, 2017

Yvonmukluk posted:

Bad Machinery

Maybe it's because I read the last story made with Lottie and how it ended in a wet fart, but this bit where she loses all interest in mysteries is the exact point where her life went downhill, imo.

Murdstone posted:

Mark Trail

Pictured: sticky notes

You know, there's a missed opportunity here for Mark waking up Cherry so they can both find their son together. Make it a real family adventure, you know? Jules' attempt to give Cherry her own "adventures" end up looking sexist instead, what with how Cherry has to stay firmly in her own lane.

And this isn't even getting into how loving stupid this entire scenario is. Mark saw Rusty going out the door and had all the time in the world to shout and demand where he's going in the middle of the night. And now he's making the excuse that time is of the essence as to why he didn't leave Cherry a note? Come the gently caress on.

Doomykins posted:

I just realized with Holbrook, who I try to avoid reading but skimmed today. OK, so you can't kill anyone you know because that's murder and not preying on them, very significant difference totally provable either way, fine. Why don't herbivores ever kill in self defense? Cause I skimmed the strips and thought "it's really nice of them to take those wolves prisoner." I assume there's some stupid poo poo like "the magic bird people forbid guns" but you're telling me nobody carries a knife? Yeah yeah, the "heroes" are "good" except for that bone spitting fatality for the avatar of death rabbit child, el oh el.

I also know there was a storyline early on where Kevin's sister was part of an extremist rabbit group. They were the "bad guys" because they wanted to kill predators themselves. But in retrospect, it reads more like Holbrook thinks second-class citizens rebelling against the hellscape status quo is evil.

Someone ITT mentioned the Hellworld TTRPG before and how one of the lore details mentioned that the Birdlluminati messed with the DNA of prey species to make them not mad if predators kills and eats their family members so they won't seek revenge. I wouldn't be surprised if the Birdlluminati also added some gene bullshit where prey species never thinks that they can kill in self-defense.

Vox Valentine
May 31, 2013

Solving all of life's problems through enhanced casting of Occam's Razor. Reward yourself with an imaginary chalice.

theironjef posted:

Can't wait to never find out what crime those coyotes were supposed to be committing. I would have assumed given the frequency it occurs that trying to sneak into a children's summer camp to eat them would be entirely legal.
Probably some kind of hate speech charge seeing as how they were after Pokey and Batso and all that.

Julet Esqu
May 6, 2007

Hey, Skelly, you don't gotta listen to this lady's meeting. You can pick up your phone and mind your own beeswax.

amigolupus posted:

You know, there's a missed opportunity here for Mark waking up Cherry so they can both find their son together. Make it a real family adventure, you know? Jules' attempt to give Cherry her own "adventures" end up looking sexist instead, what with how Cherry has to stay firmly in her own lane.

And this isn't even getting into how loving stupid this entire scenario is. Mark saw Rusty going out the door and had all the time in the world to shout and demand where he's going in the middle of the night. And now he's making the excuse that time is of the essence as to why he didn't leave Cherry a note? Come the gently caress on.

For a short while someone was posting Mark Trail from the beginning. It wasn't hugely popular with the thread and maybe that's why they stopped, but I liked it. The biggest reason I liked it was that Cherry was a brassy lady who would actively participate in adventures along with Mark. The strip was sexist and outdated like anything from that era would be, but at least Cherry got to do things outside of arguing with the garden society lady about begonias or hat decorations or whatever. I feel like her first appearance was giving Mark the business because he attacked her pet bear.

manero
Jan 30, 2006

Nancy 1943

Pluggers

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Julet Esqu
May 6, 2007

manero posted:

Pluggers

I inherited it from my mom, and also gently caress you!