Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Erin M. Fiasco
Mar 21, 2013

Nothing's better than postin' in the morning!

So with the UHD being...unfortunate, what is the best way to own a physical release of American Graffiti? Does one exist that isn't, like, Laserdisc?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
Is there a cost effective region free bluray player you guys would recommend?

Brexit the Frog
Aug 22, 2013

El Gallinero Gros posted:

Is there a cost effective region free bluray player you guys would recommend?

https://www.220-electronics.com/

poke around here a bit

caligulamprey
Jan 23, 2007

It never stops.

I'm wrapping up Shawscope 2, is there an opinion on the best Shout set, 'cause I wanna keep this train rolling.

Chris James 2 posted:

I can't think of a time when I've been more certain of a "the first one is very worth this, the second one is very not worth this" thought
Ghostbusters, no quextion.

VoodooXT
Feb 24, 2006
I want Tong Po! Give me Tong Po!
Probably also Conan the Barbarian and Conan the Destroyer.

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

I'm still hoping Criterion will release just the first Infernal Affairs sometime, though 2 was ok to watch one time.

By the way Turtles fans, we all missed a panel with the first two live-action April O'Neils at RI Comic Con today. That would've been epic. Also the panel had Ernie Reyes Jr. Two Aprils!

Heavy Metal fucked around with this message at 21:59 on Nov 5, 2023

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

Chris James 2 posted:

https://twitter.com/dawnofthediscs/status/1720580395761062346

I can't think of a time when I've been more certain of a "the first one is very worth this, the second one is very not worth this" thought

This plus the discussion in the Horror Games thread about Silent Hill made me wonder about "tainted franchises" which have morphed so much from what made the first one good that it's unlikely anyone could make a great "back to basics" entry.

Jurassic Park springs to mind for me. The newer World movies and spinoff series got so into the mad science aspect of the world, alongside leaning so hard into the action blockbuster side of things, that I can't imagine the studio ever getting on board with another horror movie version.

Halloween and Exorcist certainly sagged under the weight of their franchise meandering, even if they both took the "ignore the sequels" route. Maybe Andor proved that given the right chance any franchise can pull it off, though.

feedmyleg fucked around with this message at 22:15 on Nov 5, 2023

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

Not a big Andor guy myself, but it seems pretty consistent with Rogue One. I like the more wacky Favreau/Feloni Mandalorian stuff myself. Granted this is not a simple franchise to critique.

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm

feedmyleg posted:

Jurassic Park springs to mind for me. The newer World movies and spinoff series got so into the mad science aspect of the world, alongside leaning so hard into the action blockbuster side of things, that I can't imagine the studio ever getting on board with another horror movie version.

I’ve never once thought of Jurassic Park as a horror movie but parts of it do fit… Thinking about the series from that lens I think some aspects of The Lost World fit although even then they’re making it action-er.

I don’t know how you reboot that aspect either; dinosaurs = appeal to kids was already so super ingrained into the culture that outside of low budget shlock like Carnosaur it seems unlikely to make a reemergence.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

feedmyleg posted:

This plus the discussion in the Horror Games thread about Silent Hill made me wonder about "tainted franchises" which have morphed so much from what made the first one good that it's unlikely anyone could make a great "back to basics" entry.

Halloween and Exorcist certainly sagged under the weight of their franchise meandering, even if they both took the "ignore the sequels" route. Maybe Andor proved that given the right chance any franchise can pull it off, though.

While Exorcist II fails as a good movie, I can't say it's not interesting. Though, every single thing I found interesting about it was done better by Blatty himself for Exorcist III, which I like almost as much as the original. More ironic as while the ending of Exorcist II sinks the film, even the studio-imposed ending of III is pretty satisfying, however ridiculous.

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming
III’s oddball energy is its best part, it’s one of those writer-driven movies where every bit of dialogue is overkeyed by just the right amount

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

This is cheating, but Donnie Darko for sure. Also the entire Matrix franchise.

pseudanonymous
Aug 30, 2008

When you make the second entry and the debits and credits balance, and you blow them to hell.

I AM GRANDO posted:

This is cheating, but Donnie Darko for sure. Also the entire Matrix franchise.

Love franchisee that manage to retro actively manage to make each preceding films worse.

pwn
May 27, 2004

This Christmas get "Shoes"

:pwn: :pwn: :pwn: :pwn: :pwn:
Seems like a good time to post this video essay.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MRoorGEwM9k

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

I know what you did last summer, and frankly I am displeased.
Is there a Rumble in the Bronx blu-ray that has the original Hong Kong version of the movie or is it all pretty much New Line Cinema cuts unless I find some OOP DVD from 15-20 years ago that doesn't have English subtitles?

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

CPL593H posted:

Is there a Rumble in the Bronx blu-ray that has the original Hong Kong version of the movie or is it all pretty much New Line Cinema cuts unless I find some OOP DVD from 15-20 years ago that doesn't have English subtitles?

Yep that seems to be the case. A fan made an edit of the HK stuff interspersed with the US Blu-ray, which is a nice idea, but it was pretty jarring in quality. Somehow their copy of the SD DVD footage looked worse than what I found elsewhere etc.

But yeah the movie on an old HK DVD version is still a great watch. And the edited US version is one of the better ones for me, nostalgia too. It is odd this masterpiece is not getting the same treatment as other Chan titles.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

https://www.barnesandnoble.com/b/the-criterion-collection/_/N-1p0i

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

i forget does Barnes and Noble do the wait and ship if you have a pre-order in your order so I should split up the pre-order movies or am i good to just make a fat cart and they'll ship as they available?

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

I know what you did last summer, and frankly I am displeased.

Heavy Metal posted:

Yep that seems to be the case. A fan made an edit of the HK stuff interspersed with the US Blu-ray, which is a nice idea, but it was pretty jarring in quality. Somehow their copy of the SD DVD footage looked worse than what I found elsewhere etc.

But yeah the movie on an old HK DVD version is still a great watch. And the edited US version is one of the better ones for me, nostalgia too. It is odd this masterpiece is not getting the same treatment as other Chan titles.

It's also the movie that broke Jackie Chan into the US so it's especially odd that it's overlooked this way. But I suspect that it's a rights issue or something like that considering how many of his movies have been getting the premium treatment over the last few years,

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe
Yea there's no way we wouldn't have a nice collectors edition of Rumble in the Bronx by now if there wasn't some sort of rights issue gumming up the works.

esperantinc
May 5, 2003

JERRY! HELLO!

dorium posted:

i forget does Barnes and Noble do the wait and ship if you have a pre-order in your order so I should split up the pre-order movies or am i good to just make a fat cart and they'll ship as they available?

Make a fat cart, they didn't hold anything back for me during the last sale.

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

esperantinc posted:

Make a fat cart, they didn't hold anything back for me during the last sale.

sweeet. ty.

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

I was caught in a good mood.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
Seconds is so goddamn good

SeductiveReasoning
Nov 2, 2005

382 BC - 301 BC
Hitchcock 4K Vol 3 is out now and I don't know why it's so expensive (69.99) on Amazon. You can get it for 47.40 shipped free on Gruv with code SIGNUP20.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

SeductiveReasoning posted:

Hitchcock 4K Vol 3 is out now and I don't know why it's so expensive (69.99) on Amazon. You can get it for 47.40 shipped free on Gruv with code SIGNUP20.

Ordered the second volume when it came out, too.

If you're on the fence because it's mostly "lesser" films...

Rope was shot in 3-strip Technicolor and Universal's new restoration from the nitrate camera negatives looks incredible. On par with The Red Shoes, released the same year (and also on UHD, from Criterion).

Torn Curtain and Topaz looked pretty good on Blu-ray, but the new restorations have magnificent color and image quality. Might actually make me speed up rewatching Topaz.

The Man Who Knew Too Much was a wreck on Blu-ray, with poorly corrected fading (yet another 50s film with a bad yellow layer). We now have three of Hitchcock's VistaVision productions on 4K, joining Vertigo and The Trouble with Harry (Which also look incredible on 4K). Also has the Perspecta stereo track for the first time ever.

Frenzy was a mess on Blu-ray, overly dark and too much noise reduction. Now it looks amazing, with a very fine grain look. Shot by Gilbert Taylor, who shot a few semi-popular movies.

Erin M. Fiasco
Mar 21, 2013

Nothing's better than postin' in the morning!

Why do all these Hitchcock collections never include Strangers On A Train?

The new Rope restoration sounds great though.

Brexit the Frog
Aug 22, 2013

yah i've always thought of it as a pretty muted-looking film

SeductiveReasoning
Nov 2, 2005

382 BC - 301 BC

Erin M. Fiasco posted:

The answer to all Hitchcock questions like this is always a rights issue. He worked for a lot of different studios. This is a good set to fill in some big gaps that won't appear on the Universal sets (albiet blu-ray only): https://www.amazon.com/Alfred-Hitch...sr=8-16&x=0&y=0

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

Erin M. Fiasco posted:

Universal has been the only one putting out 4K discs. Warner owns eight films (five Warner, two RKO, one MGM), Disney owns five (four Selznick and one Fox), Paramount owns two (one of their own, one inherited by CBS through KingsWorld), with his British films split mostly between StudioCanal and iTV.

The remaining films needing Blu-rays are...

iTV (apparently with Janus/Criterion):
The Pleasure Garden - his first film and has a 2K restoration from a while ago
Easy Virtue - Also has a 2K restoration
Waltzes from Vienna
Secret Agent
Sabotage - had a UK Blu from Network, now OOP
Young and Innocent - had a UK Blu from Network, now OOP
Mr. & Mrs. Smith - Last American film needing a Blu, will likely come from Warner Archive in 2024
Spellbound - Has an OOP Blu from MGM when they had the Selznick library, just had a new 4K restoration and 99% likely with Criterion like Rebecca and Notorious
The Paradine Case - Kino Lorber licensed from Disney, now OOP, probably won't get touched again.

I don't see Warner bothering with 4K except for Strangers on a Train and North by Northwest. Paramount might do To Catch a Thief, but the recent "remastered" Blu-ray is loving awful compared to the quite lovely earlier edition.

ultraviolence123
Jul 3, 2002

Rope is one of my favorite Hitchcock films. Don't sleep on that one, it's fantastic.

Origami Dali
Jan 7, 2005

Get ready to fuck!
You fucker's fucker!
You fucker!
Do those ever get standalone releases? I’d love Rope on 4K but don’t really want to buy a whole set to get it.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007
Yeah but it's a whole set of hitchcock films!

zer0spunk
Nov 6, 2000

devil never even lived

caligulamprey posted:

Ghostbusters, no quextion.

Brutal. Little kid me just liked the goofy vibe of the Ghostbusters, was happy to get a second one, and didn't realize/care it's just a rehash of the first one with a bunch of people who didn't really want to do it. I bought that double film UHD without pause.

I get it though, I'm not big on BTTF3..or GB2016 or afterlife to stay within the aforementioned franchise.

Origami Dali posted:

Do those ever get standalone releases? I’d love Rope on 4K but don’t really want to buy a whole set to get it.

yeah, universal is pretty good about this, I waited and got the individual releases of vertigo, the birds and psycho..same for the monsters box sets..I want to say it's a year or less after the boxset but I could be wrong

it's like the reverse of sony's strategy, keep poo poo in OOP expensive sets until the heat death of the universe

zer0spunk fucked around with this message at 05:37 on Nov 7, 2023

big boi
Jun 11, 2007

Origami Dali posted:

Yes, it's on Amazon

Nightmare Cinema
Apr 4, 2020

no.

Erin M. Fiasco posted:

So with the UHD being...unfortunate, what is the best way to own a physical release of American Graffiti? Does one exist that isn't, like, Laserdisc?

Take a 4K 35mm scan from originaltrilogy.com and burn your own disc.

SeductiveReasoning
Nov 2, 2005

382 BC - 301 BC

Origami Dali posted:

They are all available as singles right now: https://www.gruv.com/category/alfred_hitchcock.

Brexit the Frog
Aug 22, 2013

what in the hell is gruv

pwn
May 27, 2004

This Christmas get "Shoes"

:pwn: :pwn: :pwn: :pwn: :pwn:
Universal's retail presence

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SeductiveReasoning
Nov 2, 2005

382 BC - 301 BC

pwn posted:

Universal's retail presence

And lowkey a great place to find a lot of good 4K deals in particular.