Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: skooma512)

Kreeblah
May 17, 2004

INSERT QUACK TO CONTINUE

Taco Defender

I've got an idea. Let's make auto loans non-dischargeable.

-Joe Biden, probably

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

anime was right posted:

yeah dating apps have went from bad to unusable because theres no way to squeeze profit out of them anymore besides making them basically paywalled. except that means that only people who pass the paywall can interact with women, and they are not people women want to interact with... so theres no allure to the people paying money.
that's the story of all unicorn sillycon valley tech stocks as a ponzi scheme. burn a couple hundo mil or two showing "meteoric user growth to the moon!", IPO with all this potential infinite growth that's clearly fake, pass the bag and cash out, then lol at the ponzi scheme collapses and enshittifies itself because it was never sustainable

$9 billion valuation lol

i mean most of these could work as a small <100-person private company but that's not good for investors

ben shapino
Nov 22, 2020

Acting like Linux is a realistic alternative for the average person is about as delusional as insisting they "need" a Mac. The second you try to explain that all you have to do to resolve some issue is copy-paste something into a command prompt, you've lost about 98% of them.

Not to mention the gigantic security risks that are involved with managing a Linux machine by blindly doing whatever someone on the internet tells you to do. That's still a risk with other OSes but on Linux it's way more of a concern.

RadiRoot
Feb 3, 2007

i dont talk to anyone and i like it that way :reject:

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool

Xaris posted:

that's the story of all unicorn sillycon valley tech stocks as a ponzi scheme. burn a couple hundo mil or two showing "meteoric user growth to the moon!", IPO with all this potential infinite growth that's clearly fake, pass the bag and cash out, then lol at the ponzi scheme collapses and enshittifies itself because it was never sustainable

$9 billion valuation lol

i mean most of these could work as a small <100-person private company but that's not good for investors

yeah the growth bullshit then ripping the rug for pure profit is how my company is failing. we're in a unique situation though where all of our clients are really expensive and need to be catered to constantly. naturally this means like we're firing everyone that can do that.

i am likely looking at the privilege to design a process to set up a process so that someone else can do my job for me. very cool very good.

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

Imagine four 'mechs waiting in a queue. Time works the same way.
anyone got a book recommendation for the history of canadian currency and bank failures? Was just thinking about how canada, a british colony, went from £ to $ and was wondering of the people behind that decision.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
Windows is fine because unless you're gaming the average laptop CPU is powerful enough to let you post on the internet as long as they also put in an SSD.

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Laugh and cry

anime was right posted:

i am likely looking at the privilege to design a process to set up a process so that someone else can do my job for me. very cool very good.
just don't do it or fake it so it blows up disastrously, that'd be funny

really computer toucher's got super lucky they touched computers right as ZIRP kicked off with trillions of dollars being suckled out of the money spigot. there was a huge demand crunch of there being way way too much money sloshing around that can't be spent fast enough on investment ponzi-scheme projects. now that it's gone, i think wages are gunna start to fall a lot

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool
i mean its going to guarantee me like 6 months of employment if it ends up happening and ill bullshit through it as much as i can. if my company was remotely smart they would keep me around as a consultant to support all the people theyre hire offshore.

they wont tho bc theyre dumb as rocks.

Azuth0667
Sep 20, 2011

By the word of Zoroaster, no business decision is poor when it involves Ahura Mazda.

drat those brodozers are expensive.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
it would be pretty funny if the US gets "the Federal government will pay for your car loans" before student loan forgiveness

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

gradenko_2000 posted:

it would be pretty funny if the US gets "the Federal government will pay for your car loans" before student loan forgiveness

cars and the expenditures built around them made up ~12% of the GDP last I checked. Probably a lot higher now that everyone's driving $60k+ tonka trucks

SirPablo
May 1, 2004

Pillbug
People do a lot of web based poo poo now. Who cares about OS.

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

anime was right posted:

i mean its going to guarantee me like 6 months of employment if it ends up happening and ill bullshit through it as much as i can. if my company was remotely smart they would keep me around as a consultant to support all the people theyre hire offshore.

they wont tho bc theyre dumb as rocks.

yeah but will they hold the bag when it goes poo poo?

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

SirPablo posted:

People do a lot of web based poo poo now. Who cares about OS.

this is also true. The browser is pretty much an OS unto itself.

Glumwheels
Jan 25, 2003

https://twitter.com/BidenHQ

Xaris posted:

eh, the amount of tumeric powder in American French's(TM) Mustard that everyone eats is so miniscule, like how most american chocolate contains 0.01% cocao, that it's fine.

and even then most people are not eating large quantities of mustard either. so it's like yeah tumeric has some unfortunately detectable levels of heavy metals writ large that could be considered bad, but the amount is small relative to the amount consumed.

Probably just walking next to a freeway for 5 minutes is way way way worse for your health than worrying about tumeric. That's really more my point is pretty much everything is so heavily polluted, especially by tire particulates, that it's like welp oh well

that said I definitely wouldn't want to chow down on like 10+ grams of tumeric powder in a sitting every day but 1 tsp here and there is fine. In this case, it's just the nature of the plant and where it's grown/harvested and how it grows in soil conditions that it's gunna be more or less unavoidable. in terms of things I'd worry about in contemporary living, it doesn't even break top 20 that i'm using trader joes tumeric powder

e: If you really want to clean up your pantry, look at consumereports list and stuff, you might be surprised: https://www.consumerreports.org/health/food-safety/your-herbs-and-spices-might-contain-arsenic-cadmium-and-lead-a6246621494/

One of my aunts gave me a giant bag of oregano from her garden to bring home this summer along with two giant homemade cheeses and some other homemade stuff. She just opened her fridge and started giving me things, it was great.

Then the airline lost my drat bag for a week with the cheese in it.

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Laugh and cry

Glumwheels posted:

Then the airline lost my drat bag for a week with the cheese in it.
your fault for doing the rookie rube mistake of checking a bag instead of bringing everything carry-on

LonsomeSon
Nov 22, 2009

A fishperson in an intimidating hat!

you cant keep cheese in a suitcase!!! you will regret this!!

triple sulk
Sep 17, 2014

Xaris posted:

just don't do it or fake it so it blows up disastrously, that'd be funny

really computer toucher's got super lucky they touched computers right as ZIRP kicked off with trillions of dollars being suckled out of the money spigot. there was a huge demand crunch of there being way way too much money sloshing around that can't be spent fast enough on investment ponzi-scheme projects. now that it's gone, i think wages are gunna start to fall a lot

they've already fallen across the board. companies are simply running out of money. every single job has a bazillion applicants, so certainly no lack of talent buried in the pile. companies need the miracle candidates to save them from running out of money, but they can't afford to hire anyone. one place i interviewed with for several weeks with great feedback still decided they'd rather hire no one at all. i also found out after the fact that they laid off like a quarter of the company a couple months ago. this is extremely normal poo poo now, and wasting product and engineering hours on these interviews only to not hire anyone is insane.

honestly i don't know how the gently caress anyone is getting hired at all when it does happen. going off my linkedin it seems to be staff/director level people who are generally shuffling the deck chairs and moving to something similar at another company. my feeling is that we haven't seen the worst of it yet and in the 6-12 months you're going to see a shitload more mid-stage startups fall apart because they haven't been able to do another raise since covid.

meanwhile every other day i see more and more bootcampers/coursea users on reddit or whatever who are trying to get into the tech industry because there's no reliable way to make a decent wage otherwise. there are absolutely no jobs for the, yet they put their weak resumes and fake cookie cutter portfolios out there, further saturating an already oversaturated market with hundreds of thousands more applications. every job takes 15 seconds to apply to because greenhouse and company are huge pieces of poo poo, amplifying the problem exponentially as it becomes even more of a numbers game. great country and economy. the best.

SirPablo
May 1, 2004

Pillbug

quote:

there are no plans to sell this truck in the United States

https://www.roadandtrack.com/reviews/a45752401/toyotas-10000-future-pickup-truck-is-basic-transportation-perfection/

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool

Mustached Demon posted:

yeah but will they hold the bag when it goes poo poo?

the entire game is they are trying to get someone else to hold the bag, and it wont work.

FUCK COREY PERRY
Apr 19, 2008

Third World Reagan posted:

anyone got a book recommendation for the history of canadian currency and bank failures? Was just thinking about how canada, a british colony, went from £ to $ and was wondering of the people behind that decision.

paging forums user Frosted Flake, his majesty's microfiche research services are required

FUCK COREY PERRY
Apr 19, 2008

on second thought paging might be too modern for Frosted Flake, figure out a carrier pigeon to rmc

Oglethorpe
Aug 8, 2005

i want one

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

anime was right posted:

the entire game is they are trying to get someone else to hold the bag, and it wont work.

that's our capitalistic society in general

Danann
Aug 4, 2013

Kreeblah posted:

I've got an idea. Let's make auto loans non-dischargeable.

-Joe Biden, probably

Endgame: make all debt nondischargeable and enserf the bankrupt to the private property of their landlords.

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.

Not a truck guy, but I'd still get one.I was gonna high post about all the poo poo you could do with a back like that and then I opened the article and they already were thinking about that. I want to serve noodles or tacos out of that thing.

SirPablo
May 1, 2004

Pillbug
I'm assuming they won't sell it here because it'll cannibalize all the $50k+ truck sales.

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Will you stop going crazy in there?
I mean, Toyota is right. They're not selling that thing here because it'd probably have a smaller audience in the US than manual transmission sport sedans. You'd also be way over that $10k price after the light truck import tax and adding enough crap to meet US safety regulations, and you'd be competing with ~$30k and below stripper work trucks for fleet buyers. I can't imagine they could sell that truck here for under $20k, and I bet that'd still be in a RWD, manual transmission configuration.

Trucks are monstrosities because US automakers have taught US consumers that you need to buy huge rear end poo poo loaded down with every option imaginable. Ford and Chevy would be selling you stripped out trucks for as much money as possible if they could because pickup trucks are already gigantic ripoffs that generate huge margins for automakers.

edit- like the entire reason that pickup trucks are insanely popular in the US is because US buyers don't want pickup trucks. Manufacturers have successfully rebranded trucks as hyper-masculine versions of mom-mobile grocery getters. They're minivans that don't make you feel sad when you roll up to Home Depot. The market for actual trucks is much, much smaller and/or limited to fleet buyers.

Paradoxish has issued a correction as of 06:36 on Nov 7, 2023

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

triple sulk posted:

BORN TO APPLY
GREENHOUSE IS A gently caress
Fill Em All 1989
I am unemployed man
410,757,864,530 WORKDAY ACCOUNTS

lmao

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

BULBASAUR posted:

somebody post the map of trolly lines in cities going from everywhere to totally disappearing

this one?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nH9toJw6-k8

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

those brodozers make lovely work pickups too

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

loquacius posted:

Oh I get it, it's a Mac pro not a MacBook pro

...why the gently caress would you get a Mac tower? It's not like you're gonna, like, customize it. Is it even possible to swap out the parts yourself or does it auto-combust

i paid 13 grand for one at work. grant money. works good. use it for video playout. added the video card and some ram i think.

its honestly, oddly, a vital piece of hardware... for me..

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003
the mac pro is mostly for spending down grant money or department budgets. if ya dont spend it youb get less next year!

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Laugh and cry

Smythe posted:

the mac pro is mostly for spending down grant money or department budgets. if ya dont spend it youb get less next year!
yeah poo poo poo poo sucks. we ended up losing various operating budget pools for things like textbooks, software, and trainings just because they weren't spent for a few years during the previous supe's retirement and now welp we have $0 on our line-item budget to buy a book lol

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Gotta be a propaganda reel of America being conquered by China, and all the SUVs being confiscated and fed into a crusher while the sobbing owners are issued kei cars instead

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
https://twitter.com/CNBCnow/status/1721714675623072122?t=QJGVmor92xB3G8A4lEKYMA&s=19

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold
time to go chair hunting

animist
Aug 28, 2018

triple sulk posted:

honestly i don't know how the gently caress anyone is getting hired at all when it does happen. going off my linkedin it seems to be staff/director level people who are generally shuffling the deck chairs and moving to something similar at another company. my feeling is that we haven't seen the worst of it yet and in the 6-12 months you're going to see a shitload more mid-stage startups fall apart because they haven't been able to do another raise since covid.

the endgame of all those tech startups was "get bought by FAANG", right? Is that not happening anymore with the end of ZIRP? I got the impression that there was a lot of consolidation during the COVID money spigot but idk since then

(attempting to google this, but all im getting is a wall of SEO junk. too bad we don't have a thread bloomberg terminal.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Canned Sunshine
Nov 20, 2005

CAUTION: POST QUALITY UNDER CONSTRUCTION

Paradoxish posted:

I mean, Toyota is right. They're not selling that thing here because it'd probably have a smaller audience in the US than manual transmission sport sedans. You'd also be way over that $10k price after the light truck import tax and adding enough crap to meet US safety regulations, and you'd be competing with ~$30k and below stripper work trucks for fleet buyers. I can't imagine they could sell that truck here for under $20k, and I bet that'd still be in a RWD, manual transmission configuration.

Trucks are monstrosities because US automakers have taught US consumers that you need to buy huge rear end poo poo loaded down with every option imaginable. Ford and Chevy would be selling you stripped out trucks for as much money as possible if they could because pickup trucks are already gigantic ripoffs that generate huge margins for automakers.

edit- like the entire reason that pickup trucks are insanely popular in the US is because US buyers don't want pickup trucks. Manufacturers have successfully rebranded trucks as hyper-masculine versions of mom-mobile grocery getters. They're minivans that don't make you feel sad when you roll up to Home Depot. The market for actual trucks is much, much smaller and/or limited to fleet buyers.

As someone who has a Honda Odyssey, I'd much rather drive a mini van than the hyper-masculine grocery getter. It's a really nice ride.

Edit:

Smythe posted:

i paid 13 grand for one at work. grant money. works good. use it for video playout. added the video card and some ram i think.

its honestly, oddly, a vital piece of hardware... for me..

I bought one from a failson friend of mine that has more money than brains, who absolutely had to have the M2 Ultra Mac Studio when it came out, and announced his 2019 MP obsolete. So he sold it to me for basically the cost of a new, mid-tier GPU. Can't complain, it's a great machine. Wouldn't pay anywhere near full price though.

Canned Sunshine has issued a correction as of 08:00 on Nov 7, 2023