Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

I'm imagining the logic is something like the dark age of imperium is the european dark age, so the slightly more advanced tech priests are the european renaissance. That's why some of their weapons is a high tech arquebus.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011

SeaGoatSupreme posted:

I'm planning out a super basic ork 1k army, I started with a combat patrol and everyone I play with has agreed that the war boss in mega armor should be able to lead basic Boyz, because why else is he in a box with them.

he's in a box with them because the box is from 9e when characters worked differently. you can play him as a regular warboss and end up under 1K.

your army is essentially fine for starting out and everything you're proposing buying here is reasonable except for some bummers from the combat patrol.

the deff dread is dead weight. genuinely lousy. 3-4 rokkits 0-1 claw or 3 skorchas 1 claw is the best value you can get from it but this is a unit you want to ditch ASAP. it's better in 1K than 2K but even then it's just okay.

deffkoptas are also just okay. (all rokkits, the blasta is always a trap.) they just kinda dribble out shooting unreliably. they're decent as fast objective holders but you're paying a premium over warbikes and stormboyz. plus, they're kinda bad at getting cover. by the time you want to replace these, points changes might have them closer to optimal though.

you were right to notice your anti-tank problems. you have a handful of options. squighogs and their characters are go-to elite picks right now. they're absurdly tough and one of them can take the headchoppa to get dev wounds with that anti-vehicle/monster 4+. you can also get this from a beastboss in a charging unit of beast snaggas.

alternately, power klaw nobz are very, very good in a trukk, and will kill a vehicle just as well as anything else, with the help of unbridled carnage. these guys or CSM chosen are probably the most underpriced melee unit in the game right now and both of them whip rear end. it rules that a warboss and nobz in a trukk is an optimal hammer right now. nobz are so good they've kinda eclipsed boyz for many applications

if you want to do a conversion project, a kill tank is your best anti-tank shooting at the moment. don't buy the overpriced and kinda ugly forge world model, just build your own. this is a rec for a certain kind of hobbyist and ork fan, so ymmv.

other expansion ideas:

kill rigs and battlewagons are fun for dumping out a huge horde or maybe just a juiced meganobz unit (force field meks and warbosses are both good) or maybe just ghaz and a couple friends.

speaking of, meganobz and ghaz are good, but slow. it's easy for them to get isolated and shot to pieces or just pinned out of position. meganobz are priced with this in mind but ghaz is priced based on the assumption that you have a plan to get him into combat somehow. he's also surprisingly vulnerable to precision units. (btw, a ghaz rules quirk: once he's on his own, you're goin to want to assign all shooting to makari because you can't switch assignment targets until the model has died. lots of people play fast and loose with this but it is how the rules work.)

gretchin are obligatory. not for killing anything obviously, but you definitely want them as objective sitters for the CP, and they cost basically nothing.

bikers and stormboyz and kommandos are cheap suicide units to contest or take points. kommandos are the premium option of the three but they screw with damage math so they can be surprisingly sticky. their characters are all fine (except for snikrot, rip to the best finecast model ever) but is this where you want to be spending more points?

flash gitz with kaptin badrukk are hilarious. it turns out heavy bolters are finally good when you can get 70-some shots with them, rerolling to hit, go figure. remember that the unit ability also boosts badrukk's gun.

most ork non-unique characters are good. forcefield meks are good in meganobz, nobz, or a big boyz unit. painboyz and the banner nob are great with nobz. both warbosses are great. weirdboyz are fun as objective harassers and mission doers, in a unit of 10 boyz or even solo. i already mentioned how good beastbosses and squig nobs are. the squig beastboss can be good if you give him the headchoppa (but a squig nob can use it just as well), and the shokk attack gun mek is only held back by the mediocrity of the units he can join.

Cease to Hope fucked around with this message at 02:17 on Nov 7, 2023

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

Yeah Orks are fun! :madmax:

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011
btw the full flash gitz experience is hilarious but invest in a dice tower (or at least a dice cup and tray) if you're going to use it. 70 shots with rerolls and sustained hits gets to be obnoxious doing it by hand.

Texmo
Jun 12, 2002

'Time fer a waaagh from above!
Can anyone think of a good use for the Psychophage? It feels like a pretty weaksauce unit but, i've painted one, so i'd like to make use of it.

It's 125pts which is the same as a Carnifex, seemingly a much better choice.
Ranged attack is a strong D6-shot flamer, Melee attack is D6+1 S6 AP-1 D2 which would be decent if not for the random attacks.
Anti-Psyker 4+ seems totally pointless because most psykers bar daemon princes and primarchs are at most T5, usually less.
Devastating wounds is nice but, again, the random attacks makes it really unreliable.

FNP5+ and 6" FNP6+ aura are also nice but, again, not really something that feels like it makes the unit terribly threatening.
Is it something that's just intended to camp objectives? It does have the Harvester keyword so, maybe it has some use as an ambulance? but then what's the anti-psyker about?

Overall it doesn't seem like it's worth the cost compared to, say, a carnifex, which are pretty big problems for the opponent. Am I missing something here?

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
I believe the best use for a Psychophage is for a proxy for any of the other monsters with the exact same base size but are perpetually out of stock

ro5s
Dec 27, 2012

A happy little mouse!

Texmo posted:

Can anyone think of a good use for the Psychophage? It feels like a pretty weaksauce unit but, i've painted one, so i'd like to make use of it.

It's 125pts which is the same as a Carnifex, seemingly a much better choice.
Ranged attack is a strong D6-shot flamer, Melee attack is D6+1 S6 AP-1 D2 which would be decent if not for the random attacks.
Anti-Psyker 4+ seems totally pointless because most psykers bar daemon princes and primarchs are at most T5, usually less.
Devastating wounds is nice but, again, the random attacks makes it really unreliable.

FNP5+ and 6" FNP6+ aura are also nice but, again, not really something that feels like it makes the unit terribly threatening.
Is it something that's just intended to camp objectives? It does have the Harvester keyword so, maybe it has some use as an ambulance? but then what's the anti-psyker about?

Overall it doesn't seem like it's worth the cost compared to, say, a carnifex, which are pretty big problems for the opponent. Am I missing something here?

It’s not a great unit by any stretch but I run one at 2k in invasion fleet and it’s fine. The built in 5+ FNP means it takes more killing than you think and tossing out a 6+ to other monsters or gaunt blobs can extend them a little, plus it’ll tie things up in combat.

The anti psyker works into units with attached characters and means every 4+ to would is critical and therefore devastating. Charge a unit with an attached librarian or some rubrics and get munching :cthulhu:

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

One Day I Will Return To Your Side.
Would the new Admech combat patrol + boarding action or the old combat patrol make for a decent army?

Texmo
Jun 12, 2002

'Time fer a waaagh from above!

ro5s posted:

(anti-psyker meaning) every 4+ to would is critical and therefore devastating.

Ohhh now here it is, I'd totally overlooked this interaction, that makes it MUCH better yeah. Thanks for the insight!!

IncredibleIgloo
Feb 17, 2011

CottonWolf posted:

Yeah. The HH AdMech line is awesome. If I were to play AdMech I’d want to play an army of Tech Priests, robots and weird tanks. Not Skitarii. Unfortunately, that’s just not what the 40K AdMech line is.

I think Admech is the best army for folks who like to do 3D printing(perhaps tied with Guard), both because of the extreme cost of the army, and the odd aesthetic GW has. I was originally really interested in the Skitarii before I realized the whole thing was kind of weird body horror poo poo that I don't like at all. My admech forces that I printed have a variety of "regular"-esque skitarii, but riding dinosaurs that are mechanical instead of horses, which is fun. I also have some Jawa style admechs that I am a huge fan of as well, and being small they paint up quickly. I also ended up getting some oddly gothic/medieval looking Skitarii for vanguard units. I even have a sandcraweler style vehicle for my Jawas to ride around in.

Mercurius
May 4, 2004

Amp it up.

Al-Saqr posted:

Would the new Admech combat patrol + boarding action or the old combat patrol make for a decent army?
I dunno about "good" but the New Combat Patrol + Old Combat Patrol + Boarding Patrol is a relatively balanced (if extremely infantry heavy) force for around 1k points. AdMech are disgustingly expensive.

IncredibleIgloo posted:

I think Admech is the best army for folks who like to do 3D printing(perhaps tied with Guard), both because of the extreme cost of the army, and the odd aesthetic GW has. I was originally really interested in the Skitarii before I realized the whole thing was kind of weird body horror poo poo that I don't like at all. My admech forces that I printed have a variety of "regular"-esque skitarii, but riding dinosaurs that are mechanical instead of horses, which is fun. I also have some Jawa style admechs that I am a huge fan of as well, and being small they paint up quickly. I also ended up getting some oddly gothic/medieval looking Skitarii for vanguard units. I even have a sandcraweler style vehicle for my Jawas to ride around in.

I always love seeing your Dino AdMech :3:

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011

Al-Saqr posted:

all three boxes together would be less than 1K points i think but everything in them is good

admech aren't bad but they're an army that wants to run lots of techy combos but also a huge ton of guys. so not only do you need a lot of units but you generally want a lot of the same units, to maximize whatever combo it is that makes your dudes not fancy imperial guardsmen. this makes them a real pain in the rear end to collect.

if you play guard, you know you're going to want infantry squads and command squads and the main tanks. if you play GSC, you'll always want acolytes and neophytes and your characters. admech usually want skitarii but everything else is playing balance roulette. (this is also a problem tyranids have developed over time.)

so this means if you're just buying units that feel good to play, pretty soon you're going to end up with multiples of units that are basically useless for kitbashing or proxying as something else. on top of this, since the army is so combo reliant, a nerf can just kick the legs out from under a unit entirely. so it's easy to find out tomorrow you have like hundreds of dollars worth of units that aren't even fun to play in chill friendly games. admech don't really do solid all-rounder units (although kataphrons usually come the closest), so they're very meta-dependent even if you're not tryharding very, uh, hard.

this is on top of the bad $:points ratio. it's just a miserable army to try to play. you absolutely need to love the models and also losing if you're going to go deep on admech.

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

Yeah guard infantry is a filler in every value box or something I guess.

But there's still a problem with that and that's they are all boring cadians. So as mentioned you need to go straight to printing or third party sculpts or anything to find something more interesting.

IncredibleIgloo
Feb 17, 2011

Lostconfused posted:

Yeah guard infantry is a filler in every value box or something I guess.

But there's still a problem with that and that's they are all boring cadians. So as mentioned you need to go straight to printing or third party sculpts or anything to find something more interesting.

Lots of Guard players like myself started when the army was about a diverse range of unit types. It has been really sad to see the guard reduced to generic Sci fi army guys when they used to have so much character. Victoria Miniatures is not much cheaper than GW but they have good models that capture the spirit of the original regiments.

https://victoriaminiatures.com/

Circutron
Apr 29, 2006
We are confident that the Islamic logic, culture, and discourse can prove their superiority in all fields over all schools of thought and theories.

IncredibleIgloo posted:

If you don't mind me asking, are those tile bases also 3D printed? They're really good and I've been looking to grab some for a Drukhari concept I've had in mind.

IncredibleIgloo
Feb 17, 2011

Circutron posted:

If you don't mind me asking, are those tile bases also 3D printed? They're really good and I've been looking to grab some for a Drukhari concept I've had in mind.

Yes, they are. They are from Txarlii Factory. https://www.myminifactory.com/object/3d-print-royal-palace-bases-round-166910

Vae Victus has som similar ones as well. https://www.myminifactory.com/object/3d-print-royal-bases-134901

Circutron
Apr 29, 2006
We are confident that the Islamic logic, culture, and discourse can prove their superiority in all fields over all schools of thought and theories.

Thanks, that's a big help!

Der Waffle Mous
Nov 27, 2009

In the grim future, there is only commerce.
Admech's felt like a long string of disappointments since their 7th edition incarnation where they technically weren't even a single faction.

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Utility is seven-eighths Proximity.

I love the dome heads on the Sicarian Infiltrators and if anyone has any going spare can you send them my way

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

Idk if it’s supposed to but the rebreather looks like a big cartoony handlebar mustache. I’m extremely here for this dino cowboy

xtothez
Jan 4, 2004

College Slice

Texmo posted:

Psychophage is a solid pick in an Assimilation Swarm list, where it holds objectives while throwing out both FNP & regen buffs to nearby units. They are are just tough enough to be annoying for an opponent to kill, especially when the rest of your list acts as a much bigger threat.

The drawback is that a good Assimilation Swarm list needs to focus hard on the four specific harvester units to be effective, including the eternally out-of-stock and expensive pyrovore. You need at least 2 psycho, 2 haruspex, 3 rippers, and 4+ pyrovores to squeeze the most from the detachment rules. It's good fun though.

Desfore
Jun 8, 2011

Confirmed at least one furry on the Smash team
https://x.com/alchemistsworks/status/1721479683491938349?s=46&t=A_8U-gLj0vdEjhuKPT6Drw

Looks like GW production still hasn’t bounced back from Leviathan.

xtothez
Jan 4, 2004

College Slice

Desfore posted:

https://x.com/alchemistsworks/status/1721479683491938349?s=46&t=A_8U-gLj0vdEjhuKPT6Drw

Looks like GW production still hasn’t bounced back from Leviathan.

They've been doing this a lot since Leviathan. Stores had initial limited stock while the GW website got priority, then after the first preorder weekend they released any unsold stock to 3rd parties.

If you can't get something from a local store on Saturday, check back a few days later.

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Utility is seven-eighths Proximity.

10 PRINT "HOWDY"
20 IF (YEE) THEN (HAW)
30 GOTO 10

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

https://www.warhammer-community.com/2023/11/07/tune-into-our-next-explosive-preview-direct-from-the-world-championships-of-warhammer/

New Warhammer Preview Stream next friday, and it looks to be packed.

War and Pieces
Apr 24, 2022

DID NOT VOTE FOR FETTERMAN

Lostconfused posted:

After gluing twenty five guardsmen

I'm already sick of Cadia's poo poo. There's just not enough variety, I need to find a way to break this up somewhat.

weird heads

Genghis Cohen
Jun 29, 2013

Lostconfused posted:

The models are at different angles, but it's the coat collar. On the conversion it looks close enough to make it look like the coat is being worn, instead of just floating there on the game workshop sculpt. Or a stiff high collar just doesn't look good if it's not framing the head properly.

This is a very accurate description of what I was feeling about it, right.

IncredibleIgloo posted:

All super impressive. Weirdly the single detail I like most is the horizontal visor goggles and gasmask combo on some of the stumpy snipers. It's just a very cool look, wish I could get heads like that somewhere for Necromunda weirdos.

War and Pieces
Apr 24, 2022

DID NOT VOTE FOR FETTERMAN

IncredibleIgloo posted:

Lots of Guard players like myself started when the army was about a diverse range of unit types. It has been really sad to see the guard reduced to generic Sci fi army guys when they used to have so much character. Victoria Miniatures is not much cheaper than GW but they have good models that capture the spirit of the original regiments.

https://victoriaminiatures.com/

is all rough riders and vehicles viable yet?

Super Waffle
Sep 25, 2007

I'm a hermaphrodite and my parents (40K nerds) named me Slaanesh, THANKS MOM
Do it anyways! Has anyone proxied the GSC bikers as rough riders? Are they big enough?

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

Having a cavalry wing sounds like a cool idea, but is it better than just getting another sentinel?

darnon
Nov 8, 2009

Or there's these ones for pretty cheap https://cults3d.com/en/3d-model/game/160mm-round-tops-imperial-palace

The seller has them in different sizes, but if one has a bit of proficiency with 3D software I figure it's more economical to buy the largest and just cut out smaller sizes as needed.

Nancy
Nov 23, 2005

Young Orc
Is there a go-to Dreadknight conversion to make it look less like a baby carrier? It's the one part keeping me away from getting a GK combat patrol.

Athas
Aug 6, 2007

fuck that joker

Nancy posted:

Is there a go-to Dreadknight conversion to make it look less like a baby carrier? It's the one part keeping me away from getting a GK combat patrol.

It's probably easier to convert it to make the driver look more like a baby.

raverrn
Apr 5, 2005

Unidentified spacecraft inbound from delta line.

All Silpheed squadrons scramble now!

You see them occasionally with Dreadnought bits to bulk them up, but honestly embrace the cring, they're fine.

LiterallyATomato
Mar 17, 2009

Hello!

I do not play 40k (though I read and loved the Eisenhorn book trilogy.)

I got a 40k player in the work Secret Santa. He said he is orks.

What would be an appropriate gift for this hobby? Target price range is $25 but I'm willing to go slightly higher if necessary.

Thanks!

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

The Christmas Goblin that is coming out soon

smug jeebus
Oct 26, 2008

LiterallyATomato posted:

Target price range is $25
lmao

Nancy
Nov 23, 2005

Young Orc
Like the esteemed Professor said, Da Red Gobbo will probably be up for preorder this weekend maybe?

But yeah even he is prob gonna be a $35 model, $25 will get you like 3 paints or some loose sprues on Ebay.

raverrn posted:

You see them occasionally with Dreadnought bits to bulk them up, but honestly embrace the cring, they're fine.

I just can't. All the "warsuit" models just look so dumb.

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

One of the best Ork novels, Brutal Kunnin by Mike Brooks is only $16 though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

LiterallyATomato posted:

Hello!

I do not play 40k (though I read and loved the Eisenhorn book trilogy.)

I got a 40k player in the work Secret Santa. He said he is orks.

What would be an appropriate gift for this hobby? Target price range is $25 but I'm willing to go slightly higher if necessary.

Thanks!

dice and some deodorant