Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Jesus! Jesus Christ! Say his name! Jesus! Jesus! Come down now!

I don't think Kojima hates making games, he's just terminally film-pilled.

There are also guys who have vision and the vision's not good or interesting. The actual example of a sweaty "put a hat on a hat" goofball who doesn't know when to quit and has never made a good game is Suda51

Basic Chunnel fucked around with this message at 01:57 on Nov 7, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
i love suda51. he's literally one of the most important figures in ps1 horror game history. he didnt strictly direct all of twilight syndrome but he's the only reason that game actually came out and twilight syndrome kicks rear end

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
would also generally commend him for forming a weird independent game studio that's had a much cleaner history and much better management than the studio he started out in honestly, he's a decent manager even if you don't love his work

Lil Swamp Booger Baby
Aug 1, 1981

Killer7 is amazing imo

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
i also like moonlight syndrome a lot but i don't think that's a game that can ever have the same impact it had again, like how his fire pro game made him infamous for writing a super nintendo wrestling game that ends with your wrestler getting depressed and killing himself moonlight syndrome is that except him making a "sequel" to one of the most influential ps1 horror games ever except it's not actually a sequel and is actually a weird alternate universe story that's purposefully just kind of weird and hosed up and ends with a guy having a katana duel with satan in his mind. basically any time suda works with masahi ooka though it turns into something awesome, if you like killer7 and dont mind reading i highly rec playing the silver case games and flower sun and rain, they're very much in the same vein

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
I can't imagine seeing someone who likes playing with the medium of games as much as Kojima and calling him "film-pilled". You might as well say this about Toby Fox or some poo poo

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

The Colonel posted:

my counterpoint to the idea kojima hates making games and would rather just be a film director is the fact that the one good part of policenauts is an extended loony tunes joke sequence where you keep dying and restarting from a checkpoint while your two dudes keep getting increasingly frustrated at their failure to disarm a bomb because of a series of minor errors and one obviously evil guy purposefully bullshitting them two hours earlier about what wire he'd use as the detonator for a bomb

also idk i'm gonna be real the type of jrpg joke being mentioned is like. something i only see done that blatantly in games selling themselves on that kind of humor. that's a low tier disgaea joke or something, lazy jokes aren't a cultural difference

It was a real ps2/psp era thing for sure, it doesn't happen very often anymore outside of tired rear end like RPG maker games made by nobodies. It's just left that much of a tired mark on me, mostly because I played every single poo poo rear end JRPG that general generation had to offer, good ones too but there were a lot of bad ones. Also IIRC isn't disgaea more of a strategy game?

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
disgaea's a strategy rpg but it likes making fourth wall jokes about rpgs and a few disgaea games get a lot lazier with their writing than others

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Basic Chunnel posted:

I don't think Kojima hates making games, he's just terminally film-pilled.

There are also guys who have vision and the vision's not good or interesting. The actual example of a sweaty "put a hat on a hat" goofball who doesn't know when to quit and has never made a good game is Suda51

Being a film obsessed weirdo who gets a shot at making one can end up with you being a Tarantino or a Kevin Smith. Kojima is far more the former than the latter, and thank god

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
Disgaea ftw.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
the silver case is funny in its own way cause like half of it is weird commentary on late 90s japanese detective adventure games, which were like their own whole massive boom of big name games that never really made it over here, but thankfully without that context it's still entirely possible to enjoy it being a surreal detective horror game that randomly has a part where a guy asks you 100 timed quiz questions including one about what the fruit from crash bandicoot is called, and an entire parallel subplot to the main game clearly stuffed into what disc space they had left that entirely consists of a guy getting woken up early in the morning by loud construction noises outside his apartment and feeding his pet turtle

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.
One conversation at a time.

Dude who has dynamic ice melting physics in his games - "actually he hates making games and wants to make movies"

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The Saddest Rhino posted:

Dude who has dynamic ice melting physics in his games - "actually he hates making games and wants to make movies"

Every year I learn something new and insane about the metal gear games. For example, this year I learned that if your rations freeze during the Vulcan Raven fight, apparently you can go all the way back to the bathroom, turn on the hand dryer and they will defrost your rations.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
heres some memorable scares, from stray souls

https://clips.twitch.tv/NeighborlyTalentedSashimiDerp--KO_KhrSvhk-kVGA
https://clips.twitch.tv/AgitatedAmazingJuiceFeelsBadMan-ph_Sv2ciusBI8DP7

rox
Sep 7, 2016

lmao i love sgf. when he just starts laughing you know youre in for a good time

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

why would you treat bernie sanders this way

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

i like the running meta joke in fgo about how obviously impossible it is for some of the characters to fight 'non-lethally' even when the plot demands it

'hit them with the dull side of your sword'
'hit them with the dull side of your bullets'
'hit them with the dull side of your laser cannon'

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.
One conversation at a time.

Aarrhh

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

Something about the character movement in these makes me think it might have been "mocapped" using a VR kit. Which is a thing you can do as a low cost alternative to a full mocap studio, but well, it looks like this.

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

Even a dork like Ethan Winters would shove that guy into a locker.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

Jerma985 posted:

His reaction to the revelation of a third ship was gold.

Read After Burning
Feb 19, 2013

"All this, for me? 💃Ah, you didn't have to! 🥰"

The Colonel posted:

the silver case

I quite enjoyed this game (and it's sequel/prequel) but I'm not ashamed to say I had to use a guide for most of it. That bit where you have to walk around in the woods, or go through a huge apartment building? Just let me try to solve this mystery, dammit!

I feel like the announcer/narrator in Paradise Killer is a reference, it's a very similar distorted robotic-type voice.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
the puzzles were worse in the original version of the silver case. one of the few times where the game was deliberately obtuse enough that even suda felt like it went too far and just put in an autosolve button

not sure what you mean by prequel though. nothing in 25th ward is a prequel, the prequel is moonlight syndrome. and when i say that i mean it's a prequel in the sense that, the crazed lunatics you kill at the start of the silver case are the surviving characters of moonlight syndrome, who have gone insane just minutes before their game ended. well surviving characters minus one of the twilight syndrome girls' evil sister (moonlight syndrome exclusive character) who's just chilling at the hotel in flower sun and rain

The Colonel fucked around with this message at 05:20 on Nov 7, 2023

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
the bonus chapter they added to the placebo route in the 25th ward's remake is very funny cause it's just an extended moonlight syndrome reference nobody has the context to get because uh, you can't play any of the twilight syndrome games in english, let alone moonlight syndrome. actually nuts to think more people are familiar with these games through a danganronpa chapter that is just lightly aping their presentation more than anything about how they're actually written or what goes on in them thematically, than through the games themselves. they're such a foundational piece of the horror game genre and there's a handful of offshoots in the same way you can find ones for moon remix or clock tower

The Colonel fucked around with this message at 05:26 on Nov 7, 2023

Read After Burning
Feb 19, 2013

The Colonel posted:

not sure what you mean by prequel though. nothing in 25th ward is a prequel, the prequel is moonlight syndrome.

Ahh, yeah, I played them on PS4 in English, so there were two releases: Silver Case and 25th Ward. I adored the red lipstick agent that cussed all the time, Kuro, she kicked rear end.

Refresh my memory, what's the Silver Case reference in Dangan Ronpa?

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
it's not a silver case reference, it's twilight syndrome. twilight syndrome was a hugely influential ps1 horror game duology, or more accurately one game split into two parts because it had a massively troubled production where they made too much game to fit on one disc but couldnt afford to release on two discs and suda51 (after releasing the controversial fire pro wrestling special, infamous for its incredibly dark storyline which might have gotten him blacklisted from future directing gigs if twilight syndrome's existing director hadn't stormed out of the project and suda hadn't made a name for himself in the company as being a very competent project manager) was called in to figure out what to do to get the game out the door and landed on splitting it like that that while adding new scenarios via heavy asset reuse for the second game to justify its status as a separate release as the only real option.

anyway both twilight syndrome games were hits with fans of supernatural and murder mystery games, the danganronpa writer was a humongous fan of both, danganronpa was published under spike-chunsoft who owned the rights to the series, so for danganronpa 2 he put in a murder case that literally just revolves around a bootleg twilight syndrome game, called the twilight syndrome murder case. it's literally just a chapter revolving around people playing twilight syndrome.

the future story with the twilight syndrome games themselves after that is just that the games being a big success got suda free license to make his own game from scratch, in the second twilight syndrome he already wrote a weird hidden bonus chapter testing some of his ideas for his own game so for moonlight syndrome he pulled from those ideas and, noticing that human entertainment was heading for collapse because they'd stopped paying employees bonuses and were generally just in clearly bad financial shape and a lot of other developers were jumping ship (most notable besides grasshopper might be sandlot, the future developers of robot alchemic drive and edf), made moonlight syndrome a totally distinct weird mess that nobody liked because it was nothing like twilight syndrome and also subtly did not even take place in the same dimension as the twilight syndrome games did, and then he left and started grasshopper where he hired a guy who wrote some side materials for moonlight syndrome to write the silver case with him. and that's how grasshopper manufacture and tokio morishima were born

The Colonel fucked around with this message at 05:51 on Nov 7, 2023

Read After Burning
Feb 19, 2013

The Colonel posted:

So for danganronpa 2 he put in a murder case that literally just revolves around a bootleg twilight syndrome game, called the twilight syndrome murder case. it's literally just a chapter revolving around people playing twilight syndrome.

Oh! I know exactly what you're talking about now and definitely didn't understand the reference at the time, hah. That's the case with the infamous "rocks in a bathing used used as a blunt weapon" puzzle...

:cheers: for the lore, friend! Now I want to see what other Twilight Syndrome references I may have missed in games over the years.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
my favorite note about the danganronpa author being such a big twilight syndrome fan is that he seemed, mostly unaware of the fact that suda's baby was more moonlight syndrome. he sent suda a message once expressing how much he loved twilight syndrome and how inspirational it was for him and like. suda did produce some of the best chapters in twilight syndrome kyuumei-hen but he's more recognizably the guy who wrote a sequel so publicly hated that the existence of basically the entire rest of the franchise was dedicated to ignoring it lol

moonlight's one of those games that had such a confused and frustrated initial response that the more positive view you'll see of it is a mix of retrospective reappraisal in light of suda's more recent and beloved work and nobody who talks about it in english circles having experienced the raw befuddlement of getting the sequel to a game that ended with a girl struggling with her relationship with her dad and with what her future in life will be via having meaningful and thought-provoking conversations with ghosts, and having this one end with a weird demon kid beheading everyone and then some edgy oc boy coming in to duel him with a katana before having a twist at the end about how the entire katana duel was in his head and he was actually holding a paper bag with his dead sister's head in it while watching the opening video of the game he's in on loop the entire time

also suda's involvement in all these games, which are all entirely centered around ghosts, is incredibly funny when every personal story you hear about him is that before he got into games he just worked as a mortician and developed such a strong fear of ghosts from his time working that job that when the fatal frame guy told him he could see ghosts and that there was a ghost in grasshopper's office building, and a ceiling caved in a week later, suda immediately changed office buildings. this is why i deny any idea that suda is a poser who just doesn't know when to stop. all of the stories people have about working with him are too loving funny and genuinely kind of weirdly sweet, he's just a guy who never imagined he could work in this kind of space and only got in at the insistence of his wife and has been having a blast with it ever since. i dont think i've ever heard a single soul say something bad about the guy and in the official grasshopper artbook he actually made note that he didn't like the association grasshopper was getting for dumb cheesecake stuff in the 7th gen and was hoping to move away from it a bit

sorry about, how many thoughts i have on twilight syndrome and the history of grasshopper manufacture. there's just a lot of history in there i find really funny and digging into their work a while back made me feel like as rough as the patches they've had from time to time there is a lot of context about them that gets missed and makes their work so much more interesting and also, understandable for why it has hit the low points it has cause it's mostly just the predictable result of a smaller studio getting kicked around by bigger publishers. when you actually dig into what happened with any of their worse releases it's kind of depressing how often the answer is just they got forced into something by ea or kadokawa or gungho. they were basically about to become the let it die studio forever before they split in half to separate from the side of the studio that existed to make let it die

The Colonel fucked around with this message at 06:17 on Nov 7, 2023

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
also going to once again give one more shout out to the fatal frame guy giving his story, that when suda delivered his script for his route of fatal frame iv, he hated it so much he completely destroyed it. but then he felt bad afterwards so he completely retyped suda's script based on his photographic memory of it and put it in the game anyway

idontpost69
Jun 26, 2023
videogames give kojima so much leeway in pacing and content that I can't imagine he'd be satisfied with the relative strictness of a feature length film. In a game at any time he can put up an overlay and deliver a twenty minute dialogue scene no matter how trivial the subject matter and have the only cost be paying a voice actor.

Mr. Lobe
Feb 23, 2007

... Dry bones...

Jerma985 posted:

I love how unflappable he is. Attempts to scare him are met with dry but lighthearted contempt or on really special occasions like here, with sincere delight.

Revitalized
Sep 13, 2007

A free custom title is a free custom title

Lipstick Apathy
Lethal Company is hilariously fun. 8 hours later, I feel like I've seen most of what this game has to offer but it's still a good time.

More spooky rear end coop games!

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Jesus! Jesus Christ! Say his name! Jesus! Jesus! Come down now!

idontpost69 posted:

videogames give kojima so much leeway in pacing and content that I can't imagine he'd be satisfied with the relative strictness of a feature length film. In a game at any time he can put up an overlay and deliver a twenty minute dialogue scene no matter how trivial the subject matter and have the only cost be paying a voice actor.
You seem to be under the impression that he wouldn’t be out there just making Das Boot with pants making GBS threads and real-time speech censorship via ancient microscopic metaphors and women who suffocate if they’re not naked

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

50 thousand people used to live here. Now, it's the Mushroom Kingdom.
Kojima made a Gran Turismo walking simulator because he hates games.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Lol it wasn't even an Amazon posting? Everyone was flipping out about a Best Buy posting?

https://www.ign.com/articles/konami-says-best-buy-had-incorrect-info-regarding-pyramid-head-origin-story-in-silent-hill-2-remake

They've posted a Metroid Prime Trilogy collection for Switch multiple times now lol you can't trust anything Best Buy posts

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
tried getting through shadow of rose. that was. not. good.

Bussamove
Feb 25, 2006

All the other absolute dogshit aside that loving flashlight is doing me in. Just a light source that begins on the doofus’ chest but follows the camera rather than the character model so he’s facing one direction by a ubiquitous cone of light is shining out of his right shoulder.

I appreciate Dollar Store Mama’s interpretive dance though, that’s bold.

ChickenHeart
Nov 28, 2007

Take me at your own risk.

Kiss From a Hog

Revitalized posted:

Lethal Company is hilariously fun. 8 hours later, I feel like I've seen most of what this game has to offer but it's still a good time.

More spooky rear end coop games!

it's really cool to watch this tiny :10bux: game explode in popularity over the span of a few weeks. I hope the devs are making bank.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.
I somehow didn't realize going in that Lunacid was a game by Kira, the creator of Spooky's Jumpscare Mansion. It's very much in their designhouse; a decently well-made and smoothly controlling conglomeration of unrelated copypasta-adjacent ideas that essentially requires the use of a guide to fully experience, and that begins to break down under the weight of its systems in the second half. With excellent music.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Revitalized
Sep 13, 2007

A free custom title is a free custom title

Lipstick Apathy
Man, I cannot decide what my favorite survival horror experience of 2023 is.

Dead Space, RE4R and Alan Wake 2 knocked it out of the park for me. I platinum'd all three of these games so like, I got tons of value out of them.

I think Dead Space is like, the better overall package of like gameplay and technical excellence... but Alan Wake 2 has staying power in my mind and I can't stop thinking about it. Aaaaahh