Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

jpmeyer
Jan 17, 2012

parody image of che

Murmur Twin posted:

I actually love this historic no-ban format, this feels like a broken deck from the 90s. Sacrificing Necropotence to bargain Beseech the Mirror feels incredibly dirty.

the funniest version of this deck that i've seen includes a copy of blood moon for random wins with beseech the mirror

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nickoten
Oct 16, 2005

Now there'll be some quiet in this town.
That cat demon thing is so funny. When I saw that I assumed MTG was explicitly adding D&D characters (like the D&D take on rakshasa). Now it appears that this was not the case, and someone literally just assumed D&D rakshasas were what rakshasas are and did not do a single minute of further research.

drainpipe
May 17, 2004

AAHHHHHHH!!!!

Murmur Twin posted:

I actually love this historic no-ban format, this feels like a broken deck from the 90s. Sacrificing Necropotence to bargain Beseech the Mirror feels incredibly dirty.

This deck fucks. Just played two games with it. Each time I thought I went too deep with Necro but each time it worked out.

cgeq
Jun 5, 2004
When do we get the Shin Megami Tensei Universes Beyond with a proper Rakshasas

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

When life gives you lemons, suplex those lemons.

drainpipe posted:

This deck fucks. Just played two games with it. Each time I thought I went too deep with Necro but each time it worked out.

I played a necro deck and was struggling until I realised I could just mulligan to Swamp, Ritual, Necro, pay 9 life and it doesn't matter that I had a four card opener because I'm winning this game in like 3 turns.

I had a different build, with 0 cost artifacts, treasure generators and Tendrils of Agony to storm off and reload life/cards

Huxley
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Lone Goat posted:

I had a different build, with 0 cost artifacts, treasure generators and Tendrils of Agony to storm off and reload life/cards

Would love to see this list, please and thank you.

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

Huxley posted:

Would love to see this list, please and thank you.

extremely unrefined and very stupid. don't forget you can chain beseeches into each other to pump storm count if you have enough artifacts in play. you can eat necro too if you want your draw step back, but make sure to activate early because you can't react to bargaining necro. might want inquisition of kozilek if you're facing more control decks.

Deck
15 Swamp
4 Springleaf Drum
2 Tormod's Crypt
4 Ornithopter
4 Dark Ritual
4 Phyrexian Tower
4 Necropotence
4 Mishra's Bauble
4 Thoughtseize
3 Tendrils of Agony
4 Deadly Dispute
4 Shambling Ghast
4 Beseech the Mirror

Ultimatefire
May 6, 2013

Murmur Twin posted:

Winning with zero life is a fun experience!

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
i'll give it a go

drainpipe
May 17, 2004

AAHHHHHHH!!!!
Anybody got pointers for Chromatic Cube? I learned to draft with WOE but to do so, I also got really familiar with the set. Doesn’t seem worth it to do the same for something only here for a week.

How do you go about getting quickly up to speed on drafting a format you are not as familiar with in general?

cgeq
Jun 5, 2004

cgeq posted:

So I got another (lucky?) ONE quickdraft where I got Atraxa right off the bat and figured I might as well try to make her work unless some big red spell came up, which it didn't, and then I got a couple more pretty good cards (Glissa and Nissa), so I proceeded to try and make a deck that could support a 4 color creature and the other two: https://www.17lands.com/deck/228bf8e61bee4b2e87c2c96102c1c974

Well this turned out very well in the end, went 7-1.
The one deck that got me was a UB deck with mostly fliers, and I didn't draw enough early creatures or removal to deal with them, and the combat tricks I had were useless against fliers. I did drop Nissa but she got shredded by the fliers. I also probably misplayed her by using her -1 ability to take out some artifact creatures instead of pumping out more ground creatures.

Atraxa did eventually show up for the last 3 battles. The very last battle was especially dicey, just getting a beat down by an aggressive deck with Atraxa's Skitterfang giving things flying to bypass my defenses. After dropping Atraxa T6, I got dropped to 1 life with a Hazardous Blast, but T7 I Titanic Growth'd Atraxa, which I think took me out of whatever lethal plan my opponent had (probably a 2nd Hazardous Blast), and they conceded.

I guess in the end, even though the deck wasn't as focused as I might have liked, it generally had enough answers to most of the problems that came up. At least enough answers for long enough for the more bomby cards to drop.

CatstropheWaitress
Nov 26, 2017

bowmore posted:

i'll give it a go

It's my goto deck for easy wins when I lose ten games in a row trying to make some jank standard deck work. The flying creatures let you get a lot of damage in during the early turns, but what really shines is that it's a control deck that has relatively few actual counterspells.

People throw down an allo shephard turn one and then concede a few turns later once their stuff is continuously bounced by the white remand from LotR, targets made hexproof from a flashed in Drogskol Captain, or creatures getting captured by Spell Queller.

It's just an absolute beater. Only downside is a llot of the cards that make it hum are rare, and in nonstandard sets so it eats a lot of gold wildcards to make.

CatstropheWaitress fucked around with this message at 01:57 on Nov 7, 2023

Starsfan
Sep 29, 2007

This is what happens when you disrespect Cam Neely

drainpipe posted:

Anybody got pointers for Chromatic Cube? I learned to draft with WOE but to do so, I also got really familiar with the set. Doesn’t seem worth it to do the same for something only here for a week.

I'm in the same boat as you, just started and I'm not going to even bother playing these 1 week formats

I imagine it would help a bit watching streamers play the set and see what cards they think are good and what cards are good against them in the games.. don't even know where you'd start other than that

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

CatstropheWaitress posted:

It's my goto deck for easy wins when I lose ten games in a row trying to make some jank standard deck work. The flying creatures let you get a lot of damage in during the early turns, but what really shines is that it's a control deck that has relatively few actual counterspells.

People throw down an allo shephard turn one and then concede a few turns later once their stuff is continuously bounced by the white remand from LotR, targets made hexproof from a flashed in Drogskol Captain, or creatures getting captured by Spell Queller.

It's just an absolute beater. Only downside is a llot of the cards that make it hum are rare, and in nonstandard sets so it eats a lot of gold wildcards to make.
oh i love easy wins - do you have a list handy?

wild cards i don't have a lot of sadly

CatstropheWaitress
Nov 26, 2017

I don't and won't for a few days, but from memory I think it's something like

4 Mausoleum Wanderer
4 Spectral Sailor
4 Rattlechains
4 Supreme Phantoms
3 Selfless Spirits
4 Drogskol Captain
4 Spell Queller

3 Lofty Denial
4 Reprieve
3 Slip Out Back (phase out is important, as it doesn't give them the spell back if you use this on Spell Queller)

23 lands, preferably with as many U/W lands that come in untapped on turn 1-2 that you can manage. Games can end for you if you don't cast Reprieve like it's a Time Walk on turn 3. Rattlechains and Spell Queller are where I dumped wildcards at first as they're absolutely vital. Supreme Phantom and Drogskol really help put it over the edge tho as they both boost your early weenies to do just enough to end the game before you run out of counters.

https://mtgdecks.net/Historic/spirits

That all said, deck archetype ranks pretty highly in Historic. You can probably find a improved build from what I'm running in the lists here. Just check out 5-10 lists and pull what looks most fun to ya. Might be some budget options between the decklists.

CatstropheWaitress fucked around with this message at 05:46 on Nov 7, 2023

waloo
Mar 15, 2002
Your Oedipus complex will prove your undoing.

I don't and won't for a few days, but from memory I think it's something like

4 Mausoleum Wanderer
4 Spectral Sailor
4 Rattlechains
4 Supreme Phantoms
3 Selfless Spirits
4 Drogskol Captain
4 Spell Queller

3 Lofty Denial
4 Reprieve
3 Slip Out Back (phase out is important, as it doesn't give them the spell back if you use this on Spell Queller)

23 lands, preferably with as many U/W lands that come in untapped on turn 1-2 that you can manage. Games can end for you if you don't cast Reprieve like it's a Time Walk on turn 3. Rattlechains and Spell Queller are where I dumped wildcards at first as they're absolutely vital. Supreme Phantom and Drogskol really help put it over the edge tho as they both boost your early weenies to do just enough to end the game before you run out of counters.

https://mtgdecks.net/Historic/spirits

That all said, deck archetype ranks pretty highly in Historic. You can probably find a improved build from what I'm running in the lists here. Just check out 5-10 lists and pull what looks most fun to ya. Might be some budget options between the decklists.

Ohhh I have played spirits some in explorer but Reprieve as an addition in historic is intriguing.

Ultimatefire
May 6, 2013
Premier Draft Eldraine, just had an opponent with only 2 blue open cast Ice Out to counter, without having to sacrifice anything?? Recorded it on 17lands, can anyone tell me what obvious thing I'm missing? It was only turn 5 - Ah... they had a Mocking Sprite. Well. I'm leaving this message up for future generations.

EDIT: Saving thread space to report a trophy in Premier draft! Even tho some things just fell into my lap this time around, I am very proud of choosing Candy Grapple P1P1 over Three Blind Mice as the rare. It is hard to not choose the rare, and thanks to this thread mentioning which commons they would take over bad rares, I ended up in the correct lane for my seat!!

I am, of course, in bronze/silver due to not having time to play much, and also being bad. So there were some hilarious throws in the matches I played, including people not able to count how many rats? And so just didn't block enough rats??

I dunno how people end up playing U/R in this format, Red is so deep as base but B and G are so much better I just... never end up in blue. Unless something went terribly wrong.

https://www.17lands.com/draft/ba7ba22c76174abab494aa325d3c1aaf Here's the data if anyone wants to critique

Ultimatefire fucked around with this message at 09:01 on Nov 7, 2023

BasicLich
Oct 22, 2020

A very smart little mouse!

Lone Goat posted:

extremely unrefined and very stupid. don't forget you can chain beseeches into each other to pump storm count if you have enough artifacts in play. you can eat necro too if you want your draw step back, but make sure to activate early because you can't react to bargaining necro. might want inquisition of kozilek if you're facing more control decks.

Deck
15 Swamp
4 Springleaf Drum
2 Tormod's Crypt
4 Ornithopter
4 Dark Ritual
4 Phyrexian Tower
4 Necropotence
4 Mishra's Bauble
4 Thoughtseize
3 Tendrils of Agony
4 Deadly Dispute
4 Shambling Ghast
4 Beseech the Mirror

ooooooooooooooooo buddy this is the deck to beat why not

CatstropheWaitress
Nov 26, 2017

waloo posted:

Ohhh I have played spirits some in explorer but Reprieve as an addition in historic is intriguing.

It's way stronger than I'd expected. The not-countering thing gets around a lot of stuff, card draw replaces it with potentially more answers, and like I mentioned if you slam it down when they're trying to play their turn 3-4 deck enabler, it's effectively a Time Walk letting you swing in extra damage over whatever creatures they do have's heads. You still often have to see the threat they're putting down, but they have to waste multiple turns to get it out, it's great.

Judgy Fucker
Mar 24, 2006

Built that no-bans suicide black featuring Blood Moon deck, was stoked to Beseech out the Moon, not realizing my opponent’s Time Raveler prevented it :negative:

Live and learn

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy

It's way stronger than I'd expected. The not-countering thing gets around a lot of stuff, card draw replaces it with potentially more answers, and like I mentioned if you slam it down when they're trying to play their turn 3-4 deck enabler, it's effectively a Time Walk letting you swing in extra damage over whatever creatures they do have's heads. You still often have to see the threat they're putting down, but they have to waste multiple turns to get it out, it's great.

Reprieve is like "opponent's deck average mana cost is more than 2.0? They're automatically at a disadvantage then". I can't believe they printed that. Extra horseshit with Snapcaster in Historic now.

Nickoten posted:

That cat demon thing is so funny. When I saw that I assumed MTG was explicitly adding D&D characters (like the D&D take on rakshasa). Now it appears that this was not the case, and someone literally just assumed D&D rakshasas were what rakshasas are and did not do a single minute of further research.

Sure but it's funnier that we can't have Totems and Nagas because of woke.

Zero VGS fucked around with this message at 15:22 on Nov 7, 2023

cgeq
Jun 5, 2004

drainpipe posted:

How do you go about getting quickly up to speed on drafting a format you are not as familiar with in general?

Interested in this as well. Generally for the quick drafts I've been watching Limited Level Ups and looking at tier lists and doing lots of them to get a feel for the set and learn what works, but if Chromatic Cube is a whole bunch of sets seems like it will take more homework.

Checking it out right now, and at least you can see what the card pool is.

Insurrectionist
May 21, 2007
Typically I find either aggressive red-based or counterspell city works best. But you kind of need a backup plan with the latter in case your opponent gets multiple creatures out, like a sweeper or just a lot of 2-for-1s on the board (stuff like Chupacabra, Silumgar's Command, etc).

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

drainpipe posted:

cube doesn't get a lot of coverage because every cube is different (even different iterations of the same cube), and it's usually a more casual format so there's not a lot of demand for heavy analysis

Lord's of Limited podcast episode 335 covers a cube, unsure if it's the same as this cube

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=It-290NrofM

Venuz Patrol
Mar 27, 2011
here's the cube deck i just trophied on a 7-1 with: https://www.17lands.com/draft/03112460a9484a6a8e08baefc5acdaa9

The most important thing to understand is that there's a fair amount of synergy of mechanics, but no official color pairs. There's a ton of mana fixing and ramping effects in each pack (like at least three rare lands per pack on top of elves and mana rocks and so on). as a result, rampy five color decks are very common and usually have enough time to start churning out giant creatures. as soon as you have a few cards and an idea of the primary colors you want to be in, you should start taking as many multi-lands as you can. even if they're not exactly in your colors. being able to splash is very strong when you're being passed four or five potentially gamebreaking mythic rares with each pack

my recommendation is to keep an eye out for a few simple combos (for my deck, i got the p1p1 Craterhoof, so i was looking for ways to cheat it into play, which ended up being emergent ultimatum and breach the multiverse), and then rounding out the deck with cards with individual high card quality.

there's definitely room for aggro decks to thrive in this format, but my eyes start sparkling whenever i see a creature with 8 or high mana value, so you'd have to get that advice somewhere else

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!
Numot usually plays cubes heavily so watching him is usually a good way to get a way to win cubes, if you like his playstyle.

He usually winds up doing some kinda izzet spellslinger combo storm off stuff.

babypolis
Nov 4, 2009

thespaceinvader posted:

Numot usually plays cubes heavily so watching him is usually a good way to get a way to win cubes, if you like his playstyle.

He usually winds up doing some kinda izzet spellslinger combo storm off stuff.

yeah UR spells is my go to when I dont know the cube yet, its usually viable and underdrafted. chromatic cubes tend to be the exception tho you kinda want to avoid 2 color pairs as venuz patrol said

cgeq
Jun 5, 2004
I did a Dominaria United quickdraft and 3-1 so far: https://www.17lands.com/deck/db6a63f4583b465aa2b5640756dd626c

In the draft I ended up focusing on the UBW cards, and I think I got some pretty good cards in there, but I'm struggling with cutting them down.

I've gone with UB so far but I'm not terribly impressed by the walls. I thought I might need them if my opponents were more aggressive, but so far they haven't really been. Plus with the counterspells I have, those walls just might be overkill. I'm thinking I might just replace them all with the more lower cost white creatures, but I didn't prioritize mana fixing early enough so I'm a bit worried of going for 3 colors.
So far, the one loss was from me not being patient and holding back a counterspell, letting my opponent get Tatyova, that merfolk that turns lands into 3/3 hasted fliers, onto the field, and then overrunning me.

Whooping Crabs
Apr 13, 2010

Sorry for the derail but I fuckin love me some racoons

cgeq posted:

I did a Dominaria United quickdraft and 3-1 so far: https://www.17lands.com/deck/db6a63f4583b465aa2b5640756dd626c

In the draft I ended up focusing on the UBW cards, and I think I got some pretty good cards in there, but I'm struggling with cutting them down.

I've gone with UB so far but I'm not terribly impressed by the walls. I thought I might need them if my opponents were more aggressive, but so far they haven't really been. Plus with the counterspells I have, those walls just might be overkill. I'm thinking I might just replace them all with the more lower cost white creatures, but I didn't prioritize mana fixing early enough so I'm a bit worried of going for 3 colors.
So far, the one loss was from me not being patient and holding back a counterspell, letting my opponent get Tatyova, that merfolk that turns lands into 3/3 hasted fliers, onto the field, and then overrunning me.

I feel like the only walls deck that works is the one with wingmantle chaplain as the payoff

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

It's too bad the zombies deck in the mwm sucks poo poo on a stick :(

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
The RG one seems like the one meant to win games against an opponent.

The angels one seemed like it wanted too many pieces to start being a threat and the expensive half-rear end removals ate turns. And for a deck where I was easily cheating out heaps of land I'm not sure why the deck seemed to have 100 of them in the deck. Even scrying 2 out of the way with Giada out I'd have lands clogging it all up.

BasicLich
Oct 22, 2020

A very smart little mouse!
getting really tired of timing bullshit, I thought I baited out a spell pierce to spell pierce in response but the system wanted me to resolve the opponent's spell pierce

Dr. Stab
Sep 12, 2010
👨🏻‍⚕️🩺🔪🙀😱🙀

BasicLich posted:

getting really tired of timing bullshit, I thought I baited out a spell pierce to spell pierce in response but the system wanted me to resolve the opponent's spell pierce

What was going on that made this happen? It ought to give you priority if you can cast a spell there.

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

BasicLich posted:

what format? next time take a screenshot if you run into something that seems like bullshit. it could just be a misunderstanding, or it even could be a bug and you can get a refund if you're in a paid event

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

it was probably just teferi time raveler

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

So: the Millennium Calendar: worth picking up in draft, or no?

(I assume no)

A Moose
Oct 22, 2009

thespaceinvader posted:

(I assume no)

You probably have to double like 5 times to hit the number of counters, so its gonna take a few turns of adding nothing to the board. Maybe if people don't value artifact removal and its a really slow format?

Venuz Patrol
Mar 27, 2011

thespaceinvader posted:

(I assume no)

If there were even a single effect in the format that untapped artifacts, I would be all for it as a buildaround. as is I think it's a very sketchy pick. barely useful as a turn 1 play, extremely useless turn 4 or later

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

Yeah, that was what I thought.

Similarly, Throne of the Grim Captain? Unlike the other the effect is probably useful enough on its own in some decks to run, but the chance of getting it paid off seems pretty magical christmas land.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

A Moose posted:

You probably have to double like 5 times to hit the number of counters, so its gonna take a few turns of adding nothing to the board. Maybe if people don't value artifact removal and its a really slow format?

it's like 7 or 8 times

5 (being generous here)
1000+