Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

Slavvy posted:

That looks like the kind of terrain where the logistical equation shifts away from vehicle fuel and maintenance and towards fodder and farriers

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LCdWMZ60woM

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Slavvy posted:

"Hello my name is Jackie how can I help you today?"
"We are TAKING HEAVY FIRE *static* we need suppressive fires NOW *static* our position CANNOT HOLD"
"No problem, I'll just put you through to my supervisor, please hold the line!'

not exactly what you meant, but apparently calling tech support lines during combat happens with some frequency

quote:

When a Barrett .50 caliber M-107 machine gun malfunctioned on the battlefield during a live firefight in Afghanistan, one Marine decided to call customer service.
Don Cook, a Marine Corps veteran and one of the people who answers customer service calls for Barrett, received a call for help from a Marine in the field.
The Barrett M-107 wasn't firing properly. The lower receiver got bent during the last round of maintenance. The piece is considered delicate but, even though Cook couldn't see the malfunctioning weapon, he was prepared to help.

Since the Marines didn't have access to tools, Cook walked them through a process that allowed them to use the bottom of the bolt carrier to bend the lower receiver back into place. The improvisational fix required quick thinking on Cook's part, and the solution worked.

The problem was corrected in a mere 30 to 45 seconds, and the Marines were able to rejoin the battle.

quote:

Although this sounds like an urban legend, I've been personally involved in a situation with a tech support call for a piece of electronics field equipment that was during an actual engagement. Basically, the documented restart procedure didn't work properly, the electronic was essentially dead (today we'd say it was bricked), and there was a real possibility that the caller and his team would be dead too, if they didn't get this thing up and running.

It's a nerve wracking experience when you realize the guys on the other end of the line are possibly going to be killed in a matter of minutes because something you worked on is screwing up. Looking back, it's amusing to remember that the soldiers were calm and collected, while the nerds reading through tech manuals in our safe, quiet offices were panicked out of our minds. But at the time, it was anything but funny.

The good news was that there were alternative restart options which apparently had not made it into the field training manuals, and they were able to get the electronics restarted. They said thanks, and the call ended abruptly, because they had bigger things to worry about.

another good sign in the usa military's ability to conduct a war against a peer

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

:psyduck:

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020
This, but by LockMart

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WV72BZV38_8

dead gay comedy forums
Oct 21, 2011

Frosted Flake posted:

The US will lose WW3 because they will run their artillerymen into the ground using "modern" "lean" personnel management techniques

Also, the M777 is responsible to a large degree, if you guys want to get into cannon-chat. The short explanation is a lightweight gun that relies on a muzzle break to avoid shaking itself to pieces and doesn't even have a shield offers no protection to the crew and is directing a lot of the blast back at them for the sake of the gun.

Writing off 20% of an artillery regiment for a day's work is not sustainable, btw.

jesus loving christ lmbo

yeah, the guys who know how to man the goddamn cannons just subject into going psychosis during more intensive combat with larger scales? oh no problem at all as a couple of artillerymen who happen to be a bit of wh40k nerds suddenly start hearing blood for the blood god or some weird whispers saying that wouldn't be just great to turn the battery on their camp

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
FF alert

https://twitter.com/Aldanmarki/status/1721784671522984104?t=cwgEW_ZQ4RjT8myYOTPkrA&s=19

Facehammer
Mar 11, 2008

Megamissen posted:

desperatly turning your howitzer off and on again as shells rain down around you

Don't forget to top up the liquid nitrogen!

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Gonna need FF to weigh in on the correctness or not of their mortar emplacement sandbags etc

BearsBearsBears
Aug 4, 2022

Frosted Flake posted:

Electronic firing has proven to be a problem with lots and lots of money thrown down the drain chasing that dream.

What makes it so difficult? I feel like we already have a pretty good model for how to do something like this.

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

Those mortar tubes don't look half bad. I would suggest swabbing is added to the gun drill, because the barrels will probably get hot quickly compared to factory produced mortars. It's an issue you see in irregular forces' mortar use and had led to safety incidents in the past.

On the subject of WW3, I just found out the US' CBRN vehicle doesn't actually seem to work that well, which is a problem.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Frosted Flake posted:

I would suggest swabbing is added to the gun drill, because the barrels will probably get hot quickly compared to factory produced mortars. It's an issue you see in irregular forces' mortar use and had led to safety incidents in the past.

what is swabbing? wiping down the barrel?

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

gradenko_2000 posted:

what is swabbing? wiping down the barrel?

Yeah. Mortars are smoothbore, muzzleloading weapons.

You know in pirate movies, how they have someone run a wet sponge down the barrel after firing before loading and ramming the next charge?

The reason is that embers and hot spots in the barrel can't be observed like in a breechloading weapon. If you ram in the next charge, or in this case drop in the next bomb, without cooling and cleaning the barrel, it will cook off prematurely and explode in the barrel.

Scarabrae
Oct 7, 2002

enshittification in my military?! it’s more likely than you think

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

Failure to swab

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jw6FJ4UdWfo

The bomb gets hung up on the accumulated reside in the barrel and doesn't slide down to strike the firing pin. At the same time, the barrel is hot enough to ignite the propellant anyway. When the soldier removes the hung up bomb, the propellant is on fire.

Frosted Flake has issued a correction as of 15:11 on Nov 7, 2023

Hatebag
Jun 17, 2008

Frosted Flake posted:

Failure to swab

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jw6FJ4UdWfo

The bomb gets hung up on the accumulated reside in the barrel and doesn't slide down to strike the firing pin. At the same time, the barrel is hot enough to ignite the propellant anyway. When the soldier removes the hung up bomb, the propellant is on fire.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TEYG1ZXU2Pc

Megamissen
Jul 19, 2022

any post can be a kannapost
if you want it to be

Frosted Flake posted:

Yeah. Mortars are smoothbore, muzzleloading weapons.

You know in pirate movies, how they have someone run a wet sponge down the barrel after firing before loading and ramming the next charge?

The reason is that embers and hot spots in the barrel can't be observed like in a breechloading weapon. If you ram in the next charge, or in this case drop in the next bomb, without cooling and cleaning the barrel, it will cook off prematurely and explode in the barrel.

do they have swabs for breachloading guns aswell or do you just wait until it looks to have cooled down?
the airflow from having two open ends helps i guess

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Wullie's reign cannae smother the flames o' equality!

Frosted Flake posted:

I would only that that the other part of this, which connects to nearly every other post ITT, is that they can't imagine "just use longer lanyards" or "use better PPE", which are relatively easy to implement health and safety improvements. I don't mean they couldn't do it. They can't imagine doing it.

A longer lanyard, which heavy artillery used in the world wars (or fired by remote with the crews behind berms, in trenches etc.) or better ear protection are relatively inexpensive solutions. Even more obvious an inexpensive are procedural changes like more crew rest, rotating crews etc.

All of their proposed solutions emerge from the same neoliberal consensus The Oldest Man described, which are incredibly capital intensive.

They would rather buy "BrainScope" whatever the gently caress that is, than use a longer lanyard and have the crews shelter during firing.

You know how you said that a recurring lesson from military history is that civilians never dig trenches and you can only get professional soldiers to entrench themselves?

I wonder if the civilians (read: neoliberals) micromanaging more and more war stuff since Technowar means professional soldiers become less and less professional?

Like, just digging a deeper hole is a mitigation to the problem and only a slight extension of something you should be doing *anyway* for a myriad of reasons, but which western armies apparently have stopped doing... because they're acting like civilians... because they are colonial police (a civilian function) rather than professional soldiers.

Civilians don't entrench, and apparently can't even conceive of the idea of entrenching.

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

Megamissen posted:

do they have swabs for breachloading guns aswell or do you just wait until it looks to have cooled down?
the airflow from having two open ends helps i guess

This is actually a problem with enclosed self-propelled guns like the M109 because when you open the breach it might vent burning hot gas and embers back into the crew compartment (where all of the ammunition and propellant is as well). There are gun drills so you don't open a hot breach, you're supposed to keep an eye out for warning signs of incomplete combustion and the like.

This was actually why the Royal Navy switched to breechloading guns in the 19th century. Initially, they thought breechloading guns were more dangerous. Mechanically, given the metallurgy of the time, that was sort of true, they had a bunch of bad accidents with weak breeches whereas there's almost no point of failure on a muzzleloading gun. However, HMS Thunderer blew up because of an error that would have been detected immediately in a breechloading gun. Given the choice between the two they decided that it would be better to focus on training their gun crews to operate breechloading guns safely.

So, today, there are still buckets of water on the gun position, and you have swabs to sponge out the barrel, but you're not supposed to reach that rate of fire. Whereas, mortar teams do more often, and because they can't see (or feel) how hot the bottom of the barrel is. The other thing, as you said, is that opening the breech creates airflow, after firing you can actually see remaining gas, smoke and particles vent through the muzzle after the breech is opened.

But like the hearing loss thing, and TBIs, lot of these safety standards are kind of iffy these days.

Orange Devil posted:

You know how you said that a recurring lesson from military history is that civilians never dig trenches and you can only get professional soldiers to entrench themselves?

I wonder if the civilians (read: neoliberals) micromanaging more and more war stuff since Technowar means professional soldiers become less and less professional?

Like, just digging a deeper hole is a mitigation to the problem and only a slight extension of something you should be doing *anyway* for a myriad of reasons, but which western armies apparently have stopped doing... because they're acting like civilians... because they are colonial police (a civilian function) rather than professional soldiers.

Civilians don't entrench, and apparently can't even conceive of the idea of entrenching.

I just don't understand the thought process of having a TBI points app rather than digging a hole. I understand the capital intensive versus labour intensive solution, so I can see a GDP increasing machine choose the app, but I don't understand how a person thought that the app was an easier solution than sheltering the crews.

But to your point, we basically can't get crews to dig gun positions without the engineers coming with a bulldozer, and the M777 is so loving big and heavy, and the crew so small, it would be a whole day's work (at least). By "can't" I mean, the school can demand it and have Whiskey Battery, the demonstration troop, do it, but once troops are in the field it comes down to their officers ordering something time consuming and unpopular and then battery sergeant major enforcing it.

The problem, imo, is that it feels "pointless" in training, when nobody has encountered counter battery fire in their lives, so without the visceral feel of shell splinters tearing them to pieces, stripping to the waist and digging all day with picks and shovels sucks. Which is true, obviously. It does suck. It just sucks less than getting ripped apart by splinters, or in this case, getting TBIs. But TBIs are invisible, so, it's really hard to reinforce.

Idk there's layers of training issues because even managerially, it's "inefficient" to spend x hours of a 72 hour exercise digging holes.

Frosted Flake has issued a correction as of 16:45 on Nov 7, 2023

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

stephenthinkpad posted:

They don't need to use a rope, just use a bluetooth button or something. Use your fingerprint login to add security.

Searching the field for my battery CO's finger after he got blowed up by counterbattery fire so that we can keep firing.

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

This is a NOD buggy from Tiberium Dawn (aka C&C 1) and there isn't a goddamn thing you can tell me that will convince me otherwise.

https://cnc.fandom.com/wiki/Buggy_(Tiberian_Dawn)?file=TD_Buggy_DOS_Manual.gif

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

Orange Devil posted:

This is a NOD buggy from Tiberium Dawn (aka C&C 1) and there isn't a goddamn thing you can tell me that will convince me otherwise.

https://cnc.fandom.com/wiki/Buggy_(Tiberian_Dawn)?file=TD_Buggy_DOS_Manual.gif

It is, or rather the NOD buggy was based on the DPV.

Which were apparently lovely but I can't find much about them. They were some kind of California hot rod the Pentagon procured on short notice for Desert Storm?

"The DPV was built by Chenowth Racing Products, Inc. The German Volkswagen Kübelwagen was the first military Light Utility Vehicle based on the Volkswagen Beetle which uses rear-wheel rather than four-wheel drive. Volkswagen components were also the basis for the postwar dune buggy, and its layout is used in the DPV with rear-mounted air-cooled 200 hp (150 kW) Volkswagen engine."

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Frosted Flake posted:

The problem, imo, is that it feels "pointless" in training, when nobody has encountered counter battery fire in their lives, so without the visceral feel of shell splinters tearing them to pieces, stripping to the waist and digging all day with picks and shovels sucks. Which is true, obviously. It does suck. It just sucks less than getting ripped apart by splinters, or in this case, getting TBIs. But TBIs are invisible, so, it's really hard to reinforce.

Isn't this literally what sergeants (major) are for?

Like what the gently caress is anyone even doing in the military nowadays goddamn.

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

Orange Devil posted:

Isn't this literally what sergeants (major) are for?

Like what the gently caress is anyone even doing in the military nowadays goddamn.

Imagine the opposite of this

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LSG8d_e7A9g

Marzzle
Dec 1, 2004

Bursting with flavor

Frosted Flake posted:

Those mortar tubes don't look half bad. I would suggest swabbing is added to the gun drill, because the barrels will probably get hot quickly compared to factory produced mortars. It's an issue you see in irregular forces' mortar use and had led to safety incidents in the past.

On the subject of WW3, I just found out the US' CBRN vehicle doesn't actually seem to work that well, which is a problem.

realistically, what kind of biological weapons could get used in a WW3 scenario? it seems like you'd mostly face a threat from chemical and nuclear stuff? hard to imagine a cloud of smallpox loitering over the battle field

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Looks like TBI to me.

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

Marzzle posted:

realistically, what kind of biological weapons could get used in a WW3 scenario? it seems like you'd mostly face a threat from chemical and nuclear stuff? hard to imagine a cloud of smallpox loitering over the battle field

Coronavirus

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

lmao @ 14:03
"Military tradition may have its roots in the Crimea, wrought's drift (?) and the Somme, but it remains a living something. The Falklands in the 80s subscribed a new chapter, and all the while another war endured. Against terrorism, and an enemy bereft of honour."

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Rourke's drift

Marzzle
Dec 1, 2004

Bursting with flavor

doesn't affect anyone outdoors :smug:

eSports Chaebol
Feb 22, 2005

Yeah, actually, gamers in the house forever,

normal brain: covid started in china
galaxy brain: china released covid on purpose in order to impose arbitrary lockdowns because they hate freedom
universe brain: china released covid on purpose because they knew they could impose lockdowns that worked and emerge unscathed compared to the rest of the world

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
multiverse brain: coronavirus started in italy and it wasn't discovered until it got to wuhan

:v:

KomradeX
Oct 29, 2011

Truga posted:

multiverse brain: coronavirus started in italy and it wasn't discovered until it got to wuhan

Lol Covid came from the US

yellowcar
Feb 14, 2010

Frosted Flake posted:

It is, or rather the NOD buggy was based on the DPV.

Which were apparently lovely but I can't find much about them. They were some kind of California hot rod the Pentagon procured on short notice for Desert Storm?

"The DPV was built by Chenowth Racing Products, Inc. The German Volkswagen Kübelwagen was the first military Light Utility Vehicle based on the Volkswagen Beetle which uses rear-wheel rather than four-wheel drive. Volkswagen components were also the basis for the postwar dune buggy, and its layout is used in the DPV with rear-mounted air-cooled 200 hp (150 kW) Volkswagen engine."

these were in battlefield 2 and they were so lovely lol

Hatebag
Jun 17, 2008

yellowcar posted:

these were in battlefield 2 and they were so lovely lol

they were a lot of fun to strap a bunch of c4 to and drive into a tank. not very good for running guys over with, though, as they had a narrow front end and the collision detection/lag compensation was wonky. they're in 3 as well

dead gay comedy forums
Oct 21, 2011

Frosted Flake posted:

I just don't understand the thought process of having a TBI points app rather than digging a hole

That's ideology!

One moment of learning that was highly enlightening to me was earlier this year, on this seminar of Marxism and philosophical method. I got mind blown when the professor elaborated on dialectical reasoning and how we tend to misunderstand the "simultaneous and contradictory" part of it; we tend to have a vulgar notion that has more to do with empiricism and formal logic than dialectical.

Anyway, he was elaborating also on metaphysical reasoning. Nobody needs a method to learn dialectical thinking because it can happen intuitively to people in differing degrees and forms, like psychoanalysis discovered. However, a method can become fundamental when dealing with metaphysical reasoning, where ideas emerge as if by themselves in singular occurrences. And that's how a lot of people work!

"I don't have more money because I don't work enough" is a great example of that. It doesn't seek to establish circumstances (why you don't have money/what is "enough" in relation to work/what determines "enough"/why do you think you don't work enough/etc), it emerges as a complete thing, a definite answer from elsewhere - a metaphysical thing. To demonstrate that these ideas happen as a consequence of material circumstances and environment is a hefty task. A lot of us do not like that.

More to the point, a TBI app happens instead of shoveling because the person who can point out "...maybe we could entrench?" is someone who can spot the problem and elaborate on why. The same person could also probably spot a lot of other things, too. But if their job security is based on not doing that, that person is probably not going to be there in the first place. Someone who can have an idea like "well this seems like something that could be outsourced for a solution" can excel. And, important thing, these people are genuinely convinced that it is the right idea and it is going to work because why wouldn't? They are engaging with the problem in ideal terms rather than material, which is one of the big loving problems of metaphysical thinking

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Marzzle posted:

smallpox would have been (theoretically) used against strategic targets far away from the battlefield, while non-lethal but debilitating agents like Tularemia would have been used against the rear echelon to degrade military capacity.

but even the USA's use of biological weapons during the Korean war didn't seem that successful, even with the collaboration with Unit 731 "scientists" so who knows how much was ever really effective versus just grift

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

So FF serious question about all this tradition stuff right, how do you actually impart these in times of crisis? Like I imagine these regiments swelled the gently caress up and also had a lot of errr throughput in WW1. Seems like with the shorter training times and then straight off to the front and the need to teach a lot of fieldcraft and soldiery in as short a time as possible it'd be real tough to get anyone inducted into the sheer volume of all this nonsense.

Or is this all primarily a peacetime kind of thing?

Scarabrae
Oct 7, 2002

Truga posted:

makes sense since it was released right after hillary killed epstein

Retromancer
Aug 21, 2007

Every time I see Goatse, I think of Maureen. That's the last thing I saw. Before I blacked out. The sight of that man's anus.

unfortunately "Italy Virus" has already been taken as an alternative term for sexual harassment.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

bibi claimed an indefinite security responsibility for gaza 3 weeks after claiming the war goals will remove all responsibility for gaza from israel.
sorry i meant to post this in the war thread not the war thread