Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Ojjeorago posted:

I think it was during 00 because I remember preview material coming out with poo poo like “Solestal Bang’s supercomputer VADER” but it was cleaned up by the time it aired.

To be fair, Solestal Bang is a fairly Gundam character name.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Neddy Seagoon posted:

To be fair, Solestal Bang is a fairly Gundam character name.

Solestal Bang, the energy drink for Innovades

Seemlar
Jun 18, 2002

Arc Hammer posted:

What about F91? From what I've gathered it wasn't dubbed until 2004 (by Bang Zoom, apparently... using almost the entire Animaze voiceover crew. Seriously why are dub studios so interchangeable like that). Was Bandai just sitting on that one while Sunrise worked with Ocean/Blue Water on other Gundam works?

If I remember correctly F-91 did sit on the shelf for a few years, Seed's success in Japanese resulted in the US release schedule that was in place at the time getting detonated to make way for it. Whole bunch of burned bridges with broadcasters and retailers on that little episode.

ManSedan
May 7, 2006
Seats 4
I do recall for a brief time we had Rockon Stratos.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

Seemlar posted:

If I remember correctly F-91 did sit on the shelf for a few years, Seed's success in Japanese resulted in the US release schedule that was in place at the time getting detonated to make way for it. Whole bunch of burned bridges with broadcasters and retailers on that little episode.

Particularly with them ditching plans to bring over Zeta Gundam to focus on SEED instead which combined with the over saturation of both the G Gundam and Battle Scarred lines were big contributors to the MSIA line dying, which is something I will never stop being upset about because that was about as close as you could get to a perfect toyline

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

https://twitter.com/g_tekketsu/status/1721815251090657583

Looks like urdr hunt is getting a movie. I don't really know anything about it but I'm a big fan of those horns at least.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

ACES CURE PLANES posted:

https://twitter.com/g_tekketsu/status/1721815251090657583

Looks like urdr hunt is getting a movie. I don't really know anything about it but I'm a big fan of those horns at least.

It's an IBO spinoff series that takes place between seasons. The game also has short stories with the main cast, but the core plot is about a kid trying to win a scavenger hunt through the forbidden history of the Post Disaster era to get enough money to buy his hometown on Venus and revive it as a tourist hotspot. In the process, he winds up romancing Carta Issue's bastard half-sister, befriending a couple of goofball crime bosses, and getting into a lot of giant robot fights.

The main cast is only okay, but it does a lot to build up IBO's setting and history, including showing a short fight from the Calamity War era. That three horned Gundam was a beast in its prime.

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

I meant the horns as in the music but that works too I guess.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009
IBO consistently has great music. Masaru Yokoyama ftw.

I'm glad Urdr Hunt is being salvaged from the mobile game now that it's ending, at least.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
So is it a follow up movie or are they just gathering up the individual animations and recutting it into a film.

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

I mean, who would have noticed another madman around here?

Doing a thunderbolt from what I understand: Take what they have, fill in the blanks inbetween to make it more coherent/polished.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
https://twitter.com/GundamInfoNA/status/1721890528953077805?t=F6wsbKF5scjEkwItn1dmUQ&s=19

Arc Hammer fucked around with this message at 18:21 on Nov 7, 2023

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

Nuebot posted:

Also coordinators just flat out being better humans is kind of weird to me. Maybe it's just been a while and I'm wrong, but I remember older gundam shows being kind of vague on what newtypes could even do, ranging from like being able to sense one another to outright psychic bullshit and generally just being more perceptive and the like, particularly in space and then the implication being that eventually all of humanity would become newtypes if the colonization of space continued. Meanwhile coordinators are just like, scientifically made better people which starts a race war.

EDIT: I was also finally able to figure out I'm watching the HD re-release not the original.

The idea that all of humanity would, or at least could eventually become Newtypes was certainly a persistent hope, especially in early UC, with both the protagonists like Amuro, Kamille, Judau and antagonists like Char, Haman etc. espousing that vision; the actual shows don't really hold it up as a good possibility though, or even necessarily a good outcome, because the very first Newtype we meet, Amuro, was born and spent about half his life on Earth, as well as awakening on Earth and a good chunk of the Newtypes we meet throughout are Earthborn too, so far as we know. Quess is born on Earth for instance, and Lalah was later (kind of) retconned to be born in India; presuming you take her original past as being what Tomino's first novelizations went with, since she has no origin in the show/movies. There isn't actually any real concrete basis to say that living in space is what causes people to be born as or awaken as Newtypes (depending on which you want to go with) and if anything, the most consistent source of origin seems to be conflict. If not outright actual war.

Which is putting aside that if you look at Newtypes like Scirocco, Haman, Char etc, they really do not seem to be any better than regular people at communicating. Or at anything beyond space magic, frankly. So having a society entirely composed of Newtypes may not even be a good thing.

ImpAtom posted:

It's worth noting some of those wacky-rear end things just ended up being what everyone used, which is why we have Yzak instead of Isaac. Athrun was also Aslan for a good chunk of time before Athrun stuck.

I mean, to be fair, Yzak is just a much more Gundam sounding name than Isaac.

The Notorious ZSB
Apr 19, 2004

I SAID WE'RE NOT GONNA BE FUCKING SUCK THIS YEAR!!!

Zedd posted:

Doing a thunderbolt from what I understand: Take what they have, fill in the blanks inbetween to make it more coherent/polished.

Oh thats exciting stuff.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

urdr hunt had some decent writing in spots, so im for it.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money
UC Engage finally started its original story and the main character is like, lalah 1.5 I guess? Also they haven't introduced any of the cool units yet. Where's my efreet custom!

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

Nuebot posted:

UC Engage finally started its original story and the main character is like, lalah 1.5 I guess? Also they haven't introduced any of the cool units yet. Where's my efreet custom!

That has to be a loving world record for turnaround time between "I can't wait to get back home to my adopted daughter, who I love with all my heart even though she can be a bit of a handful and wants to be a pilot despite my wishes" -> dead.

also the Psycommu Zaku is cooler than the Efreet Custom

Gripweed fucked around with this message at 19:40 on Nov 8, 2023

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

Gripweed posted:

That has to be a loving world record for turnaround time between "I can't wait to get back home to my adopted daughter, who I love with all my heart even though she can be a bit of a handful and wants to be a pilot despite my wishes" -> dead.

also the Psycommu Zaku is cooler than the Efreet Custom

It is not :colbert: it's just a lame proto-zeong, and has zero heat sabers.

Also yeah it's great how literally all of that guy's character is about how much he loves his daughter, but also making sure everyone knows his daughter is adopted.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=my1lxS-xbn0

Game Informer went to the gunpla factory for a reason

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011
https://twitter.com/katoramann/status/1722349448045687168

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

I've played enough games to know that Yzak survives the series and man, that sure is a shame.

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

Nuebot posted:

I've played enough games to know that Yzak survives the series and man, that sure is a shame.

I think one of the few good points about Destiny is that Yzak actually reflects on what he did, understands he should have been hanged at The Space Hague, and more or less makes it his life goal to do better. He and Dearka both say as much to Athrun that they know they are war criminals, and they have to spend the rest of their lives repenting for that because they didn't deserve the second chance in the first place.

He's one of the few people where it makes sense that he just kowtows to Kira and company in the endgame, since more than anyone else he's going to hear, "Hans you're the baddy," and immediately drop what he's doing and thank gently caress he didn't shoot any civilians this time.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

Warmachine posted:

I think one of the few good points about Destiny is that Yzak actually reflects on what he did, understands he should have been hanged at The Space Hague, and more or less makes it his life goal to do better. He and Dearka both say as much to Athrun that they know they are war criminals, and they have to spend the rest of their lives repenting for that because they didn't deserve the second chance in the first place.

He's one of the few people where it makes sense that he just kowtows to Kira and company in the endgame, since more than anyone else he's going to hear, "Hans you're the baddy," and immediately drop what he's doing and thank gently caress he didn't shoot any civilians this time.

That's actually an interesting choice to go with the character, so I'll hand them that, so maybe it's not all bad. I know almost nothing about Destiny except for the one part where they basically copy+paste the psycho gundam bit. I have not heard good things about it.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

Nuebot posted:

That's actually an interesting choice to go with the character, so I'll hand them that, so maybe it's not all bad. I know almost nothing about Destiny except for the one part where they basically copy+paste the psycho gundam bit. I have not heard good things about it.

The Psycho Gundam from Destiny is extremely cool

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

Nuebot posted:

As is oft litigated in this thread, Destiny tends to be a handful of really good ideas tossed into the woodchipper of making Kira Yamato look better than he should, while the bad ideas stick around and fester. Yzak and Dearka's arc is one of the few things that actually survives this process.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

Gripweed posted:

The Psycho Gundam from Destiny is extremely cool

It's one of the few seed designs I do like (along side the providence, legend and eclipse gundams), I've seen that model they've been showing off and I'm deeply tempted to get it if I can afford it.

Warmachine posted:

As is oft litigated in this thread, Destiny tends to be a handful of really good ideas tossed into the woodchipper of making Kira Yamato look better than he should, while the bad ideas stick around and fester. Yzak and Dearka's arc is one of the few things that actually survives this process.

Well that's something to look forward to, at least. Also Cagalli is pretty cool so far.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled

Warmachine posted:

Yzak and Dearka weren't in trouble for war crimes, they were in trouble with ZAFT for committing treason by siding with the Three Ships Alliance at Jachin Due. Yzak might feel bad about shooting that shuttle but he sure wasn't at risk of suffering consequences for that specific action.

Relatedly, it's extremely funny that the only reason that Yzak and Dearka are still alive and free to make any decisions like this at all is because Durandal pulled strings to save them from said treason charges and then the nanosecond they have the opportunity they immediately slip the knife into Durandal's back and betray ZAFT again without even really having a crisis of confidence about it in any way.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

Kanos posted:

Yzak and Dearka weren't in trouble for war crimes, they were in trouble with ZAFT for committing treason by siding with the Three Ships Alliance at Jachin Due. Yzak might feel bad about shooting that shuttle but he sure wasn't at risk of suffering consequences for that specific action.

Relatedly, it's extremely funny that the only reason that Yzak and Dearka are still alive and free to make any decisions like this at all is because Durandal pulled strings to save them from said treason charges and then the nanosecond they have the opportunity they immediately slip the knife into Durandal's back and betray ZAFT again without even really having a crisis of confidence about it in any way.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
https://twitter.com/GundamBro/status/1722511556603486368?t=x0aBwUqX93wc2heD3PA5Iw&s=19

It *is* a streamlined and refined design.

Omnicrom
Aug 3, 2007
Snorlax Afficionado

Nuebot posted:

Well that's something to look forward to, at least. Also Cagalli is pretty cool so far.

Cagalli is great in SEED and godawful in DESTINY. To the point it's been a fandom inflection point for decades now.

The Notorious ZSB
Apr 19, 2004

I SAID WE'RE NOT GONNA BE FUCKING SUCK THIS YEAR!!!

DESTINY works very very hard to take anything positive you felt about SEED and poo poo all over it until you just want to flush the entire thing because there is no way you'll get that stain/stench out of it.

My memory is that it was very actively working to undo anything that was good coming out of SEED. WITH VIOLENT INTENT.

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

Kanos posted:

There was literally a whole war crimes tribunal where Durandal gives an impassioned speech about how if we pin the crimes of Patrick Zala on people who were still kids at the time, we'd be killing off our next generation and losing all of the harsh lessons we learned. Treason was one of many charges faced by Yzak and basically everyone else who fought in the war on Zala's side. It was a big point that Yzak's mom DID suffer consequences for siding with Zala, though admittedly the much lighter consequences of being barred from politics forever in the PLANTs. Probably because she didn't also personally go out and shoot civilians and surrendering soldiers.

Did we watch the same show?

Tulalip Tulips
Sep 1, 2013

The best apologies are crafted with love.

Omnicrom posted:

Cagalli is great in SEED and godawful in DESTINY. To the point it's been a fandom inflection point for decades now.

I will be forever mad about Destiny Cagalli, I don't care how dumb it is.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled

Warmachine posted:

There was literally a whole war crimes tribunal where Durandal gives an impassioned speech about how if we pin the crimes of Patrick Zala on people who were still kids at the time, we'd be killing off our next generation and losing all of the harsh lessons we learned. Treason was one of many charges faced by Yzak and basically everyone else who fought in the war on Zala's side. It was a big point that Yzak's mom DID suffer consequences for siding with Zala, though admittedly the much lighter consequences of being barred from politics forever in the PLANTs. Probably because she didn't also personally go out and shoot civilians and surrendering soldiers.

Did we watch the same show?

Yeah? That's literally the treason trial I'm talking about that Durandal got them off the hook for. Treason is the primary charge and is the reason they're on trial to begin with, given that ZAFT in general was basically "even if there are civilians, there are no civilians" for the entire conflict. Remember that the mission where Yzak shot down that shuttle started off with blowing up a civilian colony during a crossfire during the Gundamjack, which really makes the shuttle seem small potatoes.

Kanos fucked around with this message at 03:09 on Nov 10, 2023

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

https://twitter.com/bnfw_en/status/1722796320183005372?s=20

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
Going where gay marriage is legal

Akett
Aug 6, 2012

It's great that the most compelling character trait they came up with for Shinn Asuka is that he hates Cagali and her dad for going to war for Orb's ideals, ideals such as not letting the Earth Alliance genocide Shinn Asuka.

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
the most compelling trait for shinn asuka is that he thinks kira yamato sucks big dong

chrome line
Oct 13, 2022
I do think it's a cool idea to make the mc of your sequel someone who hates the previous mc and wants to kill them. There's a lot of interesting things you could do there! You could find room to criticize the old show's themes, the ideology of the mc. Or you could go for a villain protagonist and have some fun with it.

I will never watch Seed or Destiny though so I'll never know how bad they hosed it up

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

chrome line posted:

I do think it's a cool idea to make the mc of your sequel someone who hates the previous mc and wants to kill them. There's a lot of interesting things you could do there! You could find room to criticize the old show's themes, the ideology of the mc. Or you could go for a villain protagonist and have some fun with it.

I will never watch Seed or Destiny though so I'll never know how bad they hosed it up

The problem with that, is that it's really hard to pull it off in any really convincing way because it usually either requires your new protagonist to basically be "evil", or the previous protagonist to start acting so outside of their character it's justified to consider them evil now because it's fairly rare for a protagonist in general to be dubious enough they'd ever really be an antagonist, and it rarely ever works well if you wind up going the route of them somehow teaming up in the end.